Billy Wagner Gets Steamed In Exhibition Game – Phillies Nation
Posts

Billy Wagner Gets Steamed In Exhibition Game

Since we all love a good Billy Wagner anger-trip story, David Lennon of Newsday has this unbelievable moment from the Mets game against the University of Michigan:

Billy Wagner nearly started a beanball war with the University of Michigan after one overzealous Wolverine tried to bunt on him in the fourth inning. With a runner on second and one out, centerfielder Kevin Cislo pushed his bunt foul.

Wagner, clearly annoyed, shook his head a number of times, and Cislo wisely swung away, grounding out. Wagner said he couldn’t believe that Cislo, a junior, bunted.

“If he got that bunt down, I would have drilled the next guy,” Wagner said. “Play to win against Villanova.”

I could say a number of things. I mean, the Wolverines here are playing to win — they’re playing the Mets! It’s a competitive game for these guys — a game most of them (who won’t make the show) will never forget. So he bunted, Billy, run a little bit, go for the ball, toss it to first. I could say that (I just did). Or I could point out the interesting option Wagner took of mentioning Villanova. That seems weird. Or I could quote the great Harry Doyle, who told us The Duke in “Major League” threw at his kid in a father-son game. But let me back you up to Friday, when Wagner railed on the “young” Phillies:

“If one of their little 25-year-olds wants to come out and whip my ass, they can brag that they whipped a 37-year-old man’s ass. Well, good for them. It’s always good to play that underdog role.”

Obviously, Wagner has a real problem with young adults. I wonder if he hates Facebook, iPods and the new NBC series “Quarterlife.” Just more bait to throw at the rat when he steps foot in Philadelphia April 18.

By the way, the Wolverines played to win, and the Mets played to tie. Final score: 4-4.

Click to comment

1. NateB

February 27, 2008 at 12:16 am

This is funny stuff Tim. It’s hilarious that the Mets can’t beat a college team… all this trash talk that they’re throwing at us to try to make us give them more respect– I almost forgot that they’re still the biggest chokers in the history of baseball (literally).

2. Daniel aka Embassy

February 27, 2008 at 12:19 am

Lol, Billy Wagner’s future after baseball will be sitting on the porch with a shotgun yelling “Get off my lawn.” I can’t wait to go to the first two weekend series with the Mets.

3. Mike

February 27, 2008 at 8:04 am

You guys are a joke. It wasn’t even a Spring Training game and the kid is bunting???? Be a man and swing away, When will this kid ever get another chance to get a legit hit off a major league pitcher? It’s a spot light moment in his life and the kid bunts? That is the exact reason he will never make the majors, he is scared of the spotlight. And while I am at it stop with the METS can’t beat a College team. They were playing mostly kids that will start the year at Double and Single A ball. Wagner was pitching because it was his day to work, so instead of pitching batting pratice they let him pitch to these kids. i can’t wait for the METS to show up in Philly and our new stud shuts you down. I hope you didn’t forget about Johan you miserable losers. Oh and by the way the GIANTS kicked your asssss too. BIOOOOTCHES

4. rhy

February 27, 2008 at 9:14 am

Hey Mike, bunting is part of the game. Maybe the kid thought he could leg out a base hit, or maybe he was trying to move the runner over. Either way, Wagner has no right to get so mad at it. It’s not like someone’s running the catcher over on a play at the plate, or using the A-Rod Glove Slap Technique (TM) coming down the first base line.

Are you seriously contending that bunting shouldn’t be allowed in spring training? What damage could a bunt possibly do to Wagner or the Mets? Absolutely none. Let the kid play the game.

Just when I thought the Mets and their fans couldn’t possibly find another thing to whine about, here it is. A %#^@ing bunt during spring training. What a joke.

And Wagner’s reaction? Typical hotheadedness from him (the type of attitude that has prevented him from becoming a true lights-out closer — the guy’s a headcase, and not in a good way). Go ahead, Billy, drill the next college student that steps in the batter’s box against you. Real mature.

5. Sean P.

February 27, 2008 at 9:20 am

Last time i checked you were allowed to bunt in baseball.

Mike, how can you say “be a man and swing away”!?!?! I can’t imagine anything scarier than squaring away to try to bunt against a major league pitcher – let alone Billy Wagner.

If Billy Wagner can’t accept certain aspects of the game, like bunting, maybe its time to hang it up.

6. Gavin

February 27, 2008 at 9:23 am

Billy thinks he’s better than he is. The rat is “big timing” everyone. Billy needs to retreat back to the hills of SW Virginia…..drink his moonshine with his Juco buddies……and fade into the sunset. I predict he has the worst year of his career.

The Mets could honestly say that he cost them the season last year. They are the ones that should hate him. I love the guy….he keeps throwing the ball in that one path that we have grown to know and love.

7. Ped

February 27, 2008 at 9:50 am

I thought part of spring training was…you know…training. Aren’t the ball players there to practice? Is fielding bunts something pitchers should practice? Billy Wagner is such a whino. All of a sudden, I’m a Michigan fan.

8. Julie

February 27, 2008 at 10:40 am

Spring training is for practice, and obviously this kid needs more practice with bunting if he bunted it foul. One out and man on second is a legit situation for a bunt – especially if the pitcher is 37 years old and isn’t expecting it. I applaud you, young bunter.

And thank you to Billy for the free publicity for Villanova. Apparently the Mets have some ties to Nova (assistant GM is a Nova grad), as seen in the SI article on Santana this week.

9. Mike Tyson

February 27, 2008 at 11:07 am

I’m so broke, BUT if anyone wants to pay for my flight to port st. lucie i will knock that miget out. Last time i saw a whiner, i bit his ear off.

Disclaimer: No offesnse to migets

10. Pingback: You damn kids! Get off Billy Wagner’s lawn! « Plunk Chutley

11. Fran

February 27, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Is there anything he does not complain about???? Billy the Bitch!!

12. typhoon

February 27, 2008 at 7:30 pm

“Don’t trust anyone under 30”- Billy Wagner

13. Jason

February 28, 2008 at 3:59 am

Bunting with a man on second and 1 out makes no sense which is why he was annoyed. This doesn’t mean anything anyway.

14. Ralph Kramden

February 28, 2008 at 11:21 am

Why Complain about a “Spring Training” Game or lack thereof.Billy Wagner was letting off steam and yet it came out the wrong way.HOWEVER If you are in here to critique a “Spring Training” Game where the records and results mean CARP……..Y’all need to get out more or find a hobby.

15. billy wag's

February 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Let see what happen’s if rollins even thinks about bunting of wagner. how about a little chin music.