Wagner Responds To Brawl Talk – Phillies Nation
Posts

Wagner Responds To Brawl Talk

David Lennon of Newsday (Long Island, N.Y.) wrote about the Phillies-Mets rivalry becoming more a heavyweight brawl than a baseball battle. He spoke to Mets about the growing heat, and especially Jayson Stark’s comments that there “will be a brawl.”

My favorite reaction, the always-quiet Billy Wagner:

“If one of their little 25-year-olds wants to come out and whip my ass, they can brag that they whipped a 37-year-old man’s ass. Well, good for them. It’s always good to play that underdog role.

“If they come out there, though, there’s two things that could happen. I’m pretty sure they’re going to whip my ass. But what if I get a shot in? What if? Then you just got your ass whipped on national TV by the littlest guy in baseball, so think of that ‘What if?'”

Just a memo to Billy: You must expect Zach Segovia to fight you, because he’s the only 25-year-old on the Phils roster. Also, shut the hell up. You’re a little punk. We’d rather swat homers off you in the ninth than swat the smirk off your face.

Click to comment

1. Clare

February 22, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Ahh I DESPISE that man. Those comments are so ridiculously stupid that they aren’t even worth acknowledging. And yes, I agree with you, let’s just keep embarrassing him on the field.

2. rob

February 22, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Burrell getting the better of him twice in ’07 is noted.

That said…

As a Met, Wagner has appeared in 15 games against the Phillies.

16 1/3 inn 12 hits 5 BB 26 K 0-1 with 6 saves and an ERA of 2.21

You might have awhile to go before he’s embarrassed.

3. Fran

February 22, 2008 at 6:57 pm

i hate that guy with all my heart

4. mets fan

February 23, 2008 at 12:33 am

not even mentioning that fact that Wagner owns the Phils, he was joking and he was not being a “punk” he’s 37 and it would be a lose-lose for the Phil who fought him. Also why do all you Phillies fans hate Wagner, he had good years for the Phils.

5. Sean P.

February 23, 2008 at 1:13 am

except when he coughed it up to his former team the Astros and one reason the Phillies didn’t make the playoffs. Kinda like this year for the Mets, but he did it more than once.

Just think, if he could have held just one of the games, the Mets could have made it to the playoffs….

6. SuperGrover

February 23, 2008 at 10:03 am

I’m a Mets fan and I wish this guy would shut-up.Some people have to see their name in the papers or their not happy…right A-Rod.

7. Rickter

February 23, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Billy “The Rat” Wagner running his mouth again. I can’t wait to see Burrell own him again this year!

8. dan m

February 24, 2008 at 8:31 pm

it’s impossible to argue that wagner didn’t embarrass himself on the field last season. can’t wait to hear him talking out of his ass next offseason after he serves up more meatballs to burrell.

9. PHILLIES #1 Fan

February 26, 2008 at 9:56 pm

wagner saved 34 out of 39 with a 2.63 era while lidge had a 3.36 era and saved 19 out of 27

ummm who was embarrassed last season?? k