Bash Brothers, Part Two – Phillies Nation
Posts

Bash Brothers, Part Two

Because everyone else is talking about them, here are some quick statistics for you on this gorgeous Wednesday:

On Base Percentage + Slugging Percentage

T2. Chase Utley, PHI – 20
T2. Manny Ramirez, BOS – 20
T2. Josh Hamilton, TEX – 20

Strikeouts
1. Ryan Howard, PHI – 30
2. Bill Hall, MIL – 25

Oops, didn’t mean to write that one in.

Click to comment

1. Embassy

April 23, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Lol, 30 strikeouts in 79 AB no less. Thats fucking crazy.

2. Mike T

April 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm

You guys think Burrell is playing beyond his potential? Or is this how good he really is?

3. dan

April 23, 2008 at 2:43 pm

This IS Burrell’s potential. He’s a streaky guy, but right now he’s showing us how good he can be. He’s got the potential to be one more MVP candidate on the Phils’ roster, especially if he can develop some consistency. Who do you guys think is more important to the team right now?

4. chris m

April 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm

whats life gonna be like next year without lidge and burrell? sad thought as of right now

5. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Burrell is a 40 HR, 120 RBI, .285 AVG, .950 OPS guy at his best, absolutely. Who’s more important? Hard to say. Utley is the 2B depth, and after him it’s shallow with too many unproven prospects. Burrell, however, is the chief righty. After him you have barely anything from the right side.

Put a gun to my head and I’d say Utley is more valuable because of what’s (not) behind him. And the fact that in all of baseball, there is nobody as good at 2B as him, without a doubt. Utley is a potential HOF player and could be the best 2B of his generation when he’s finished.

6. MS

April 23, 2008 at 3:20 pm

hate to bring bad news – but gcobb saying this —

GCobb.com reporter Micah Warren has posted a story on Blastmagazine.com about Jimmy Rollins having a broken ankle . We’ve learned from a source that Rollins has a broken bone in his ankle. Jimmy could wind up staying on the DL longer than anticipated.

7. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 3:50 pm

30 strikeouts at this point is terrible. No, its so terrible that you have to pronounce it “turrible” for full effect.

meanwhile, those two guys are tearing the cover off the ball. without those two guys this team would be like 2-18 or something dreadful

8. Bruce

April 23, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Gee…… I wonder why the Phillies have 25 players on the team roster if Burrell and Utley is doing it all? 😉

9. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Yeah I just read that about rollins. the phillies have to do something about that. cardenas to the majors would be the best internal fix if youre not going to trust bruntlett.

10. Lewisauce

April 23, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Tim, if Jimmy’s ankle is busted, that means you were right about him getting a nasty injury this year. Which brings up the next question: does that vatic ability work at the casino or the track?

As for Burrell, there’s something people don’t always bring up: during his worst slump year (I think it was ’03), he got hurt. I think he hurt his hand that year. Sometime soon after, I know he had a left foot injury that lasted for several years. I can remember him being interviewed at the start of a spring training a few years back, and he was asked about the left foot. He said something like, “Everyone has nagging injuries. I’m not going to blame it for my troubles.”

And that’s the thing. I remember hearing speculation that Pat was healthy going into last season — no hand, no foot injuries. It then took him half a season to find his stroke, but when he did, he became the hottest hitter in baseball for three months. And I know it’s only been 20 games or so, but so far, he’s the best hitter in the solar system. Burrell will never say it because it’s not in his character to blame injuries, but I can’t shake the feeling that the injuries kept him down for four or five seasons.

I’m not saying he’s going to consistently put up A-Rod numbers, but 40-120-.288 is definitely where he’ll play when healthy. He’s injury free, married, settled. This is the Pat we’ve all been waiting for.

Which brings me to the point: Should we re-sign him? I think the consensus here is that we should. Three years, $30 mil is definitely what he’s worth if he puts together a string of seasons at his potential.

But will this bone-headed ownership see that? Will they try to keep him? I don’t think so, which is a shame. He’ll be the Pat we’ve always wanted — but he’ll be that guy somewhere else.

11. Bruce

April 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Do you believe in “tabloid” rumors? If it were factual about Rollins’ injury, the info would be all over the internet and every media sources by now.

In regards to Adrian Cardenas, I posted an earlier opinion as follows….

“I don’t think the Phillies have reached the point of desperation after just 19 games to consider calling up a 20 yr old kid who has never face pitching above single A minor leagues. Adrian Cardenas may one day get his call to the Majors but NOT before he’s fully ready to do so.”

Make that 21 games now as they started a modest winning streak (3). I don’t think the Phillies are desperate at this point. Do you? 😉

12. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Nothing official about anything new with Rollins’ ankle. If something breaks, I’ll have it, but I’m not posting something from Blastmagazine.com that was led to by Gary Cobb’s Web site.

Moreover, “a source very close to the situation” can be anyone. Doesn’t do anything for me.

13. MS

April 23, 2008 at 4:51 pm

sorry – wasn’t trying to start rumors or post bad stuff. i’ll be more selective going forward.

14. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Take any “rumor” you hear from gcobb.com with a grain of salt.

15. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 5:46 pm

No I dont think theyre desperate yet. I could see him having a broken ankle though, they played him a few times when he clearly should have been put on the dl. its possible the injury is much worse than they publicly admit and that it can still fall short of being “broken.” regardless, id rather bring someone up if theres someone half decent. can he really be worse than the sub .200 clip that some of the guys in our lineup are hitting?you dont want to give up anything for anyone at this point of the year anyway unless youre making a lanscape-changing move. besides, when it comes to the phillies and injurieswe all know they are not to be trusted there. im not saying i outright believe that story either, but i dont believe the phillies either

16. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 5:57 pm

MS: Post whatever; it’s good to see things coming in so I can check on the officiality of them. If someone else (and more legit than G Cobb’s roving reporter) had picked up on it, it would’ve definitely been worth it. Give any tip you got.