Bullpen Saves The Day In 6-5 Win – Phillies Nation
Posts

Bullpen Saves The Day In 6-5 Win

It’s not often the Phillies get off to a big early lead. So when they did tonight against Zach Duke and the Pirates, the bullpen made sure it stayed a lead. Though a 6-0 advantage turned to a 6-5 nailbiter, the bullpen pulled together another solid effort, keeping the Pirates 180 feet away from the plate for a win.

Adam Eaton was solid for the first three innings, but the heart of the Pirates order made him pay for easy pitches over the plate. It was 6-3 in no time. Chad Durbin even brought the score to 6-5, but a solid sixth inning from him, followed by strong showings by Tom Gordon, JC Romero and Brad Lidge kept the game out of reach for Pittsburgh.

Chris Coste and Jayson Werth supplied the bulk of the Phils’ offense. Coste had a two-run double in the first inning and an RBI single in the third. Werth homered in the third and singled home Brad Harman in the fourth. Earlier in that inning, Harman collected his first MLB hit, an RBI double, scoring Eric Bruntlett.

For the first time in a while, Chase Utley and Pat Burrell went relatively quiet offensively, but the Phillies still won, thanks to clutch hits by third-tier players (Werth, Harman, Coste) and a huge effort (yet again) by the bullpen. Gordon and Romero escaped their own jams, and Lidge was downright nasty, striking out two thanks to his filthy fastball/slider combination. Clearly, one month in, Lidge is the best offseason addition for the Phils.

It was nice to see the Phils capitalize off the Pirates mistakes. A lazy throw to third by Jason Bay allowed Pat Burrell to take second on a fringe double. A deflection off Brian Bixler’s glove allowed Burrell to score one batter later. That run basically was the difference in the game. Taking advantage of a bad team’s errors: Something you have to do in order to win a division.

Still, it was the bullpen that delivered the futile blow. Kudos to them, again, for shutting down the Pirates after rallying against Eaton and Durbin. And yes, it was a good move by Charlie Manuel to pull Eaton after 3.2 innings. He needs to know he can’t get hit around that easily. He needs to know he has to be more effective than that. The bullpen took care of it in the end.

Associated Press photo

Click to comment

1. Tim Malcolm

April 25, 2008 at 10:47 pm

My sportswriter friends don’t get out for a little while, so I’m sitting here, basking in Phillies and Sixers wins while enjoying a nice White Russian. Could life get better? Probably, but I don’t care.

2. PhillyFriar

April 25, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Attaboy, Tim. I’ll take a Phillies sweep and a weekend for the Eagles in the draft, and maybe (just maybe) things’ll be looking up for this city!

Very impressed with Harman, by the way. He may wind up being no more than a utility infielder (though I hope he can be a regular), but for a kid who doesn’t even have 60 at bats above A ball, he did incredibly well to play a passable 2B and rip an RBI double that was the difference in the game.

3. Geoff

April 26, 2008 at 12:06 am

Yeah they need to make sure eaton doesnt repeat that. chad durbin has been a clutch signing as well, but lidge brings the fire and shows that when hes on his game and when hes healthy hes one of the better closers in all of baseball like he was a few years back. cant believe they almost let the pirates come all the way back, but i really liked charlie mixing things up and being creative. i liked utley at first base. perhaps sending a message to howard that they wont miss him when hes gone and he will be gone unless he gets himself right…harman getting an rbi is key because you want callups to contribute and not just be a sub. i also liked coste hitting in an rbi position, showing that he can hit the 5 slot if they ever need him to. nice win despite the moments of shakiness

4. Bruce

April 26, 2008 at 12:37 am

With less than a week left for April, there are two foremost surprises for the Phillies (13-11) in my view; the bullpen and Jason Werth. The bullpen including three legimate closers in Gordon, Romero and Lidge have been for the most part saviors for the team. Off season aquisitions of Rudy Seanez and Chad Durbin to bolster the bullpen has been a huge plus so far in the early going. With the current ERA under three, the bullpen has far exceeded my expectations (and probably a few other fans?). Jason Werth, except for one recent “poor” game, has stepped up to seized the opportunity when Victorino went on the DL to show his versatility on the field. There is also the glimpse of his power as shown in past games. Who knows how good he can be if given the chance to play regularly. It will be a pleasant problem for Manuel when Victorino is scheduled to come off the DL Monday.

5. Lewisauce

April 26, 2008 at 5:49 am

I hope, hope, hope Charlie lets Werth play right field regularly and relegates Jenkins to more of a sub role after Vic gets back.

My only worry right now is that the bullpen has to be pretty exhausted. Moyer (as much as I love him) followed by Eaton followed by Kendrick is going to put a strain on these guys as time goes on on account of all three are capable of bowing out by the fifth.

We really need Kendrick to go at least six tonight (hopefully seven), and Myers to go seven + tomorrow. Monday’s day off will help, but the ‘pen, wonderful as they’ve been, needs a starter other than Hamels to go seven + innings once in a while.

TIM: Werth’s mom could make it better. 😉

6. Gnomicide

April 26, 2008 at 9:17 am

I keep hearing about this mother of Werth but have not seen the evidence. I haven’t been able to see any games for a bit now because of the Flyers and Sixers in the playoffs and CN8 is not a channel that I get. Is this a joke or is she really hot?

7. Tim Malcolm

April 26, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Guys:

I don’t know if this is a post, but I lost everything I owned in a fire last night. It started a little after 1:30 a.m. in one building of my complex, then raced to the other buildings. I’m fine and I’m at a friend’s place, but right now I have to piece together my life. All I own is my body right now. So a gamenight post will come, but right now, keep chatting around about the win last night.

8. OZ

April 26, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Tim – for real??!!

dude. thoughts & prayers. like most bloggers, none of us have ever met, but hollar if i can help bro’.

9. Tim Malcolm

April 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, for real. Thanks, oz. If anything, the Phils will help me. I knew I could count on them for something.

10. Lewisauce

April 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Holy shit, Tim. Thoughts and prayers as well.

11. MS

April 26, 2008 at 2:59 pm

tim- that is terrible. I’m sorry. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

12. Paul

April 26, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Wow, I’m sorry to hear about that Tim.

13. Mark

April 26, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Man, that Phillies ‘pen is lookin’ solid!!!

14. Embassy

April 26, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Man Tim I’m sorry to hear that. I’m moving soon and there’s alot of extra stuff I know I’m not going to need ranging from clothes to computer supplies to just little things around the house. If there’s anything you think you may need email me at Embassy730@aol.com and I’ll definitely see what I can do and part with.

15. Bruce

April 27, 2008 at 1:00 am

“All known tenants accounted for; police, firefighters credited with saving many lives”

I read the above news regarding the fire that destroy the 120-unit apartment complex in Norwich, Conn. Tim, I’m so sorry for you and the 150+ tenants who are temporarily homeless. Everyone that were rescued by the police and firefighters should be thankful to them for their lives. Stay strong and persevere; regard it as a temporary setback. Material things can easily be replaced.