Posts

Gamenight: Phillies (11-10) At Brewers (12-8)

Over .500 and loving it!

The Phillies got over the hump yesterday with a three-run ninth inning, thanks to Pat Burrell and his golden stick. Now it’s Cole Hamels’ turn to keep the wheels running as the Phils open a two-game set with the Brewers at Miller Park. They’ll face Dave Bush, who is the emergency starter since Ben Sheets went down with an injury. (What else is new?)

Geoff Jenkins returns to Milwaukee for the first time since leaving the only team he played for his entire career.

Phillies: Cole Hamels (2-1), 1.86 ERA
Brewers: Dave Bush (0-3), 7.02 ERA

Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Weather: 58 degrees, sunny
Lineup: Werth/Dobbs/Utley/Howard/Burrell/Jenkins/Ruiz/Bruntlett/Hamels

MLB TV
MLB Gameday Audio
MLB Gameday

Your gamenight beer: Yetserday we recommended Miller Lite, and since tonight the Phils are in Milwaukee, we have to go with Miller High Life. Don’t ever mess with the champagne of beers, it’s a quality macro. Brewed in Milwaukee, you know what it works with: a nice, hot brat.

Go Phillies!

Click to comment

1. Mike W.

April 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I played little league with Bush (a conestoga grad), and interestingly enough, he was just a slightly above average little leaguer. In fact, he was pretty easy to hit. So when he strikes out Howard tonight, I will seriously laugh.

2. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Miller High Life? Ugh, another headache beer. It is pretty funny that you have a photo of a 40 oz. bottle though.

3. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 7:18 pm

You have to give in to bad beers once in a while — it’s natural.

4. Grant P.

April 23, 2008 at 7:44 pm

It really worries me how negative Philadelphian’s are. Same with the sports in the city. For cryin’ out loud, the website asks which broadcaster really gets to you. And then you read what’s with Ryan Howard? It kills me. I grew up in Philly, went to high school their – and now I live in Florida. I have changed. Philly has not. Would you people say something decent to each other.

5. Rob Cowie

April 23, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Beware of the Utley shift

6. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Tough. Probably should’ve plated one there.

7. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 8:27 pm

WTF, Cole?

8. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 8:33 pm

That makes 6 first inning runs for Cole this year. More than any other innings combined.

9. park

April 23, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Don’t you mean Miller Low Life? Christ, my stepfather used to drink that, and I wouldn’t even steal any from him it was so bad.

10. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 8:56 pm

God DAMN he is awesome.

11. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 8:57 pm

And then there’s Ryan Howard: Still a piece of shit.

I said not to mess with the High Life.

12. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Dobbsie baby! Woo!

13. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Is it just me, or did Prince put on about 20-30 lbs. in the off season?

14. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 9:37 pm

The Brewers announcers just said Hamels is a guy who won’t win any Cy Youngs because he plays at CBP.

STFU, idiots. He’ll win a Cy yet.

15. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 9:40 pm

MACHINE!

16. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Grant P-

Where in Florida? I’m in Orlando. This place sucks for sports. It’s unreal. Magic fans are lame. I’m pretty sure The Connecticut Sun (WNBA team) have a better fan base.

PAT STRIKES AGAIN!

17. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 9:44 pm

The sixers have CUT THE LEAD TO 19!

18. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Woo. Hamels turned it on after the first. Awesome work.

19. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Danny, they probably do. Funny you mention the Sun — my roommate/best friend covers them.

20. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm

HUGE mistake by Werth – may come back to haunt us.

21. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Should be 6-4 after the Utley single — I’m going to be pissed if that Werth mistake gets us… really pissed.

22. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Let’s not get crazy here — hopefully Cole goes at least one more and then we can turn it to JC, who should close tonight (unless they want to go to Flash).

23. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm

I’m going to turn the game over to LA and Franzke — I can’t watch this.

24. erik

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm

once victorino is back, forget jenkins he sucks, vic in center and keep werth in left

25. erik

April 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm

right excuse me

26. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Horrible move by Manuel keeping Hamels in the game.

27. Mike T.

April 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible – the fat piece of shit already has one homerun off of him tonight, and Charlie leaves him in the game to face him again??? Horrible, horrible move. I’m going to give this loss to Uncle Charlie. Absolutely horrible.

28. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm

what? he only threw 120+ pitches……………..

29. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm

I cant fault cole for that homerun. hung it up there but he shouldnt be in the game. when he has shutout to no hit stuff you can let him go 8+ but if you have someone in the pen to put in then put you dont leave him in there. thank pat gillick too. chad durbin did a nice job there but hes been overworked too. him, romero, and lidge are all he really has. you dont know what youll get with gordon, seanez is iffy and madson is also iffy. and i cant watch clay condrey pitch even when he pitches well.

30. Greg

April 23, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Agreed on the poor decision by Uncle Chuck to leave in Hamels, but I like that it seems like a Lou Brown “gut-feeling”. I think I would have pulled him after the lead-off double. Werth mistake was huge. Nice freeze by Taguchi. Let’s atone, Werth.

31. Greg

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm

whoa gator.

32. Brian Michael

April 23, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Gordon has pitched well since his Opening Day meltdown.

33. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 10:55 pm

It was a 1-2 pitch too… Jesus, Charlie! WHAT THE HELL??

This team wins in spite of the management.

34. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Werth you better come through you jerk off

35. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Thats what youre supposed to do. pull hamels when he gives up the double in the 8th. thats the typical move in that situation. but charlie is not conventional as we know.

36. Matt

April 23, 2008 at 10:58 pm

jayson werth cost the phillies the game twice tonight. Once by getting picked off and not scoring on the Utley single and then by failing to even make an out with CONTACT in the ninth… man oh man

37. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Turnbow and his smooth 9+ ERA don’t want any part of Utley. Better get Perdo Sarano out there, T-Bow.

38. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 11:00 pm

This team will continue to be mediocre because they cant get their pitching and hitting going at the same time. and their pitching has been pretty good so far. wait until moyer melts down and is done. wait until seanez and gordon lose a little over the course of the year. its nice to have benson and kline as bodies to throw in there. but do we know what were getting really? if benson is healthy hell be allright. but all im saying is were lucky the pitching has been what it is. because without it and without chase utley and burrell and some contributions from a few other guys this is a bad baseball team.

39. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 11:00 pm

The only thing that’s worse than Werth’s performance this game is his disturbing facial hair.

40. Greg

April 23, 2008 at 11:00 pm

this L is on Werth and Chuck.

41. Tim Malcolm

April 23, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Worst loss of the year, to me. We should’ve won it; Hamels should have been pulled after seven; Werth can’t screw up on the basepaths. Etc. Etc. That was a win. And tomorrow their righties will likely tee off on Moyer.

42. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 11:03 pm

in terms of who has been performing well and who hasnt. the talent is mostly there but theres no consistency from most of the lineup and most of the rotation and most of the bullpen. inconsistent..mediocre. thats the base way to describe this team so far this season.

43. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 11:04 pm

MOYER TIME! Fielder may hit 8 homeruns tomorrow night and take over the league-lead from Utley.

I agree, worst loss of the year.

Glad I could be here with you guys for it.

44. Danny

April 23, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Seriously, striking out with 1 out in the 9th inning with the tying run on third… does it get any worse?

45. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 11:06 pm

moyer is done. my dad bet me he wouldnt make it to june. in fact he said hell get one more start before its obvious hes done. now that will probably be wrong because thats tomorrow and i think theyll give him a few more but it may not be far off. my belief in the bet and my belief now is that hell be done in june and benson will take his place. if benson isnt healthy then who knows who will take that spot.

46. Matt

April 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm

lets not forget to mention Ryan Howard’s ugly at-bats tonight going 0 – 4 with 2 strikeouts dropping his average to .181 and upping his strikeout total to 32. i love getting nothing out of the cleanup spot.

47. Greg

April 23, 2008 at 11:15 pm

oh, wait I forgot to also assign blame to the only guy who let in any runs, Hamels. Him and the Breeze-machine…no mortal man strikes out 40% of the time.

48. Geoff

April 23, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Is it obvious now that a move needs to be made? or is that just me. im not sure exactly what. could be an upgraded bullpen arm or just someone to get moyer out of there now. howard cant be moved now because his value isnt where it needs to be to get a valuable return package. id like him to be moved now but he isnt worth enough yet

49. Bruce

April 23, 2008 at 11:16 pm

A loss is a loss… is a loss… is a loss… is a loss… they are all alike to me; none worse than the other; all ELEVEN of them. Oh well, tomorrow is another day as the Phillies will try for a SIXTH time to go above the mediocre mark.

Put away your crying towel and wave the “rally” towel to support the Phillies tomorrow. As mentioned so often, the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

50. chris m

April 23, 2008 at 11:42 pm

no loss worse then another??? your an idiot bruce…the moral in the clubhouse after a loss like this is a little differant then a game they played well but just got beat by a better team…this type of loss could rollover. give werth the jeltz award…decent managers win a few games for a team and lose a few…this is one for the latter

51. Jason

April 23, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I am so pissed right now and the game has been over for almost an hour. Werth should slam his head in the clubhouse door and Uncle Chuck should drive back to WV and never come back. This is the second game he has left the starting pitcher in too long the 3-4 loss to the Reds on Saturday. This guy might manage his players but he is the dumb fuking baseball mind in the whole world.

52. Greg

April 23, 2008 at 11:56 pm

A 6-5 blown 8th inning lead is sure as hell a better loss than a 10-1 blow-out. Any situations where the game is on the line is better than YO-el mop-up man giving up seeds to minor league prospects in the 6th. Hamels is better off for being in that situation (probably why Manuel left him in), I’ll bet he takes a lot from it. These are the kinds of mistakes that get made in the early going so they don’t get made down the run.

53. chris m

April 24, 2008 at 12:37 am

its easier to take a 10-1 loss if you didnt fuk up badly in the field then a 6-5 loss we should of won…listen to how pissed off every1 is…10-1 losses are more of dissapointments

54. Greg

April 24, 2008 at 2:07 am

My first eighth of season grades so far:

Starting pitching: C
    This is actually a brighter spot than anyone of us had going into the season: We bought high on Myers, bought waaaay low on Eaton, about even on Hamels and depending on expectations, Moyer and Kendrick have been passable. A bit more offense makes the SP look a lot better.

My take for the rest of the season:
    Hamels turns it up, Myers reduces his # of bad starts, Eaton stays solid, Moyer waivers but holds, and Benson or Durbin eventually subplant Kendrick.

Bullpen: A+++
    Best in the league?!!! I’d have eaten my hat by now if you’d have bet me the Phils would be #1 in the NL in this department. The opening day meltdowns were hardly a harbringer of signs to come. In my opinion, The Real Real Deal (Durbin #2) is the difference and effectively eats innings whilst preserving the late inning guys. Lidge…excellent start.

My take: the issue will come down in mid-season about whether to move Durbin to the rotation to help out. Benson and Kline may soften the transition. I think the patchwork arms are much better than last season. I think the ‘pen will continue to be solid.

Lineup: D+
    I’m separating this into three sections: The unbelievable: Utley, Burrell (a.k.a why we are at .500. This section brings the average UP to D+; the rest makes me yearn for the days of Travis Lee), the bad: (Bruntlett, Jenkins, Feliz, Ruiz), and the UGLY: (Howard). Was Howard this bad last April? Time heals all wounds, I suppose… and 47 HRs.
    It’s seriously time to give Dobbs a couple of starts at first, and let the big man clear his head. It seems like foul balls are positives for him at this point.
    Werth is a nice positive for the year, recent bone-head base-running errors and bad 9th inning at-bat aside, he looks good and is the only guy other than Utley and Burrell that inspires any confidence when he steps to the plate.
    All in, the Phils are in a real spot without J-Roll and Shane Vic up there and it is VERY noticeable in their lineup.

For the rest of the season: The return of Rollins, Vic, and warm weather spark a resurgence in the Phils bats, Werth makes everyone forget about Rowand, Howard forgets about his ten F#$king million (have it already, you bastard), remembers he loves playing baseball, cracks a f*$king smile, and puts THE next pitch in the left field bleachers of CBP.

Bench: A++:
    I had a feeling this may be a strength of this years rendition of the Phils (Werth, Dobbs, Taguchi, (even Bohn) have all given us significant contributions this year. Bruntlett, while certainly not filling the shoes of J-Roll, is a serviceable band-aid and let’s be honest, you ain’t going to replace the MVP. Coste is once again on fire despite swinging like he’s starting a motor-boat and continues to exceed any expectations I ever have for him.
    Jenkins sucks. You have to EARN my fanship for me to still like you if you look that bad striking out.

Rest of the Season: Only gets deeper and more experienced as Rollins and Vic come back. Jenkins is bartered for a sack of nickels to the Marlins and Snelling productively takes his place.

Fielding: D-
    Ugh. Just a shade above failing, this is one thing I liked best about Phils teams of years past. Starting to see indications of Phils flashing the leather, and since Howard is everyone’s favorite punching bag in this department, he has played a pretty good first during the past week.

Rest of the season: Uncle Charlie must stress the fundamentals of trying to pull the ball out of the park, instead of fielding drills in March. Track record is too good for the blip to be of sustained significance.

Baserunning: C
    Where have you gone, Davy Lopes? Our lonely PhilsNation turns its lonely eyes to you. I expected some of the flash to leave with Bourne, but with Rollins and Vic out… Jesus, this team set records last year.
    To quote my brother: “Does Pat Burrell have knees?”

Managing: A
    I’m probably the only phan of Philly to constantly support Uncle Chuck throughout his tenure, but I really think he’s a good player guy. I think he works well with his new nucleus sans “deadweight” Abreu (if you would have told me I’d hate him 3 years ago, I would have punched you in the mouth, but look at me now). With the amount of injuries this team sustained last year and to make the run, they did… well, it ain’t all Rowand and Rollins.
    I even liked the ‘leaving Hamels in too long’ move, tonight. Why? Cause it was an old-school manager move challenging his player decision. Every that big-time pitcher throws that rosin-bag down in disgust and says after the game, “only if I got the chance” when he gets pulled. Well, Hamels, you got your wish. Now what? I think Hamels may remember this one.

Intangibles: A+. Aaron Rowand who? You show me any team who gets the type of production out of their last two LEAGUE-MVPs that the Phils have this year, and I’ll show you a 6-16 team. This team still has plenty of heart and thats why they’re still floating at .500.

Prediction: Phils pull it together and battle out…THE BRAVES to a 2 game win in the NL East: 90-71 (one rain-out not needed to be made up)

*This page/page-and-a-half long analysis brought to you by a bottle of wine and no Phillies fans around listen to my half-assed viewpoints.