Posts

Gamenight: Padres (10-16) At Phillies (14-12)

I would like to think of this game as a passing of the starting pitchers’ torch, but our young phenom has a long way to go before he’s considered within Greg Maddux’s realm of existence. The Phillies are looking to secure a winning April with a victory tonight and are riding the hot bats of Chase Utley and Pat Burrell. Shane Victorino has been activated for tonight’s game, but he’s not starting. Does that mean Jayson Werth is your everyday center fielder?

Phillies: Cole Hamels (2-3), 2.75 ERA
Padres: Greg Maddux (2-1), 3.66 ERA

Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Weather: 59 degrees, partly cloudy
Lineup:
Werth/Bruntlett/Utley/Howard/Burrell/Jenkins/Feliz/Ruiz/Hamels
Chimay
MLB TV
MLB Gameday Audio
MLB Gameday

Your gamenight beer:
Well, no one quite brews beers like monks. Therefore when playing the Padres of San Diego, it’s only natural to go with an authentic beer made by Trappist monks from Belgium. The most notable (not necessarily best) would have to be Chimay with its many varieties. What better to nosh on than some fine cheese from the same region. Op uw gezondheid!
Go Phillies!

Click to comment

1. Mike T.

April 29, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Bruntlett in the 2 hole again??? Ugh, Charlie.

2. Tim Malcolm

April 29, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Ha – for a moment there were two gamenight posts in there. I deleted mine and we’re going with Brian’s.

3. Brian Michael

April 29, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Sorry, I got a little antsy. Everyone drink double tonight!

4. Tim Malcolm

April 29, 2008 at 7:02 pm

I’ll see to that! Up and in!

5. Danny

April 29, 2008 at 7:06 pm

How about we flip Howard and Burrell already?

6. Josh

April 29, 2008 at 7:09 pm

I don’t like Bruntlett in the 2 hole that much, but looking through the rest of that starters tonight I don’t see much alternative. I’d probably just swap Werth and Bruntlett so there isn’t a hole going through the heart of the order.

7. Danny

April 29, 2008 at 7:26 pm

RYAN HOWARD! A SINGLE!

8. Danny

April 29, 2008 at 7:26 pm

RYAN HOWARD! A TWO OUT RBI SINGLE! WOW-WEE!

9. Josh

April 29, 2008 at 7:27 pm

RYAN HOWARD! A TWO OUT RBI SINGLE! TO THE LEFT SIDE! DOUBLE WOW-WEE!

10. Tim Malcolm

April 29, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Nice game so far. Cole is dealing.

11. Brian Michael

April 29, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Maddux kinda lost it there giving up the hit to Hamels.

12. Clare

April 29, 2008 at 9:50 pm

WE HAVE A WINNING APRIL!!!!!

=)

13. dan

April 29, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Gotta love the ovation for Maddux. Now those are fans with class, Billy Wagner. Both pitchers threw great games and hit their spots well. I also loved watching and hearing about Maddux’s intensity.

In the end, both bullpens collapsed but I’m confident that with the way Lidge is pitching right now, we would have held onto it even without that explosive 8th.

Also, I’d like to share a little bit of cool information. I take a baseball history class at school and we had the pleasure of meeting and hearing from Jeff Kingston, director of baseball operations for the Padres, this morning. For those that aren’t aware, that’s Theo Epstein’s old position.

14. dan

April 29, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Mr. Kingston provided some interesting insight into how the Padres run their organization. He said he was one of the few people who was really in favor of bringing back Mike Cameron. We saw a little bit of the effects of the route they took in picking up Edmonds instead, as he didn’t play tonight.

I asked him a few things like if he had to build a new organization around one player, who it would be. He didn’t give a solid answer, but a few of the names he threw out there were Peavy, Utley, and Hanley Ramirez.

I also asked what the Phils should do when Benson gets healthy. He said he wasn’t big on Benson to begin with and that he didn’t think much would come of it. He also wasn’t aware of how bangin’ Benson’s wife is.

The last thing I asked was what the Phils should do about locking up Howard. Again, not a solid answer but he hinted towards the concept of taking it to arbitration every year and then we’d finally have to let him go because the two sides would disagree too greatly on his value. He also said that a lot of why we lost the Howard case this year was because it was the last case and the clubs were 5-0 at that point. There’s a real big advantage to having your case heard earlier, if you’re the club, that is.

15. dan

April 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm

We might get to talk with him again tomorrow and I’m going to try to get his e-mail address, so if anyone has any interesting questions, throw them out there. I’ll also be at the game tomorrow night to pick up my Jamie Moyer bobblehead. Go Phils!

16. Mark

April 30, 2008 at 6:09 am

Another fine performance for King Cole! Hopefully Eaton will follow…

17. Bruce

April 30, 2008 at 10:55 am

Dan: I’m probably too late at this time to respond to your request for any “interesting questions” to mr. Jeff Kingston. However, I’ll proceed with one now just in case you’re reading this.

Because of all the media news during the off season on the BALCO investigation and subsequent findings from the Mitchell report, I sensed some sort of agenda or worse, a hidden collusion by a majority of MLB owners to denied Barry Bonds to continue playing with the lame excuse that his desired contract is exorbitant. There is even a strong possibility that Bonds may be denied entrance to the Hall of Fame by the writers having a similar prejudice (think Mark McQuire). What are Mr. Kingston’s feelings on this subject?

18. dan

April 30, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Bruce- Thanks for the interesting question. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to speak with Mr. Kingston again this morning but my teacher said that if the Padres won tonight or tomorrow night, he might possibly come back. If I don’t get the chance to speak with him personally, I’ll definitely send him an e-mail with your question as well as a few of my own.