Offense Helps Phils Coast To 8-4 Win

A well-rounded offensive effort fueled the Phillies to their third-straight victory Saturday night, an 8-4 win over the Pirates.

A five-run attack in the first inning proved the difference. Ryan Howard smacked his fifth home run of the year on his first starting role in three days. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, however – Howard still struck out twice and went 1-for-4. Geoff Jenkins added two hits, including an RBI single, and Chase Utley went 2-for-4.

The effort gave Kyle Kendrick a deserved second win of the season. He went seven innings, giving up three earned runs on seven hits. The best number: zero, as in his walk total. Kendrick started the eighth inning, but a Nate McLouth solo homer was enough to being in Rudy Seanez. He and Ryan Madson continued the bullpen’s hot streak, pitching scoreless innings each. Seanez, however, surrendered his first hit of the season.

It was a fine, wire-to-wire win for the Phils. Good hitting and good pitching, together, usually result in a win. The Phils will go for the sweep today as Brett Myers takes the hill.

Associated Press photo

Click to comment

1. Tim Malcolm

April 27, 2008 at 8:31 am

Note: I’ll try, but there’s a possibility I can’t get to a gameday post today. I’m about to eat and head over to my old apartment. Currently mine is one of three buildings that didn’t get eaten alive by the fire; however, I’m on the top floor and the roof looks as if it caved into our apartment.

Here’s a NYTimes story on it:

I’m sure you all know of the fire by now – it’s been all over national news.

I’ll be in touch, and I’m fine. I got great friends and family taking care of me.

Go Phils!

2. Bill

April 27, 2008 at 9:39 am

I am so happy to see Kendrick pitch better. If he and Howard can turn it around and Rollins and Victorino come back healthy, this team is going to win 95 + games!

3. scot

April 27, 2008 at 9:51 am

I just was watching the news this morning. At first I thought the said Norwalk (my hometown) then I realized they were talking about Norwich. Ugh. Really sorry to hear about this. Best of luck with the recovery, and hope that the damage is somehow salvageable.

4. The Big Irish

April 27, 2008 at 10:36 am

Great to see Howard go deep yesterday, though he did strikeout two more times as well. The most important developments for the Phillies as we move into May will be the return of Howard as a major offensive producer, and the returns of Shane Victorino and Jimmy Rollins to the lineup. Burrell and Utley have been fabulous thus far, but they will have their down times. They carried the load here in April, the other big boys are going to have to get back into the lineup and into the groove to sustain this nice start and keep the club near the top of the NL.

5. Mike T.

April 27, 2008 at 11:09 am

Tim: Good luck with everything — my thoughts and prayers are with you.

6. chris.I

April 27, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Damn that sucks dude, sorry to hear about that! Best of luck

7. Andrew S.

April 27, 2008 at 1:36 pm

With how hot Werth is hitting, how are they going to work him in the lineup more with Victorino returning?

8. Embassy

April 27, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Awww man that throw from Werth was insane, on the money doesn’t even describe that one.

9. Geoff

April 27, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Brett Myers couldnt go more than 4 innings vs the pirates? pathetic!!!

10. Geoff

April 27, 2008 at 2:50 pm

i mean 5

11. Mike T.

April 27, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I will do everyone a favor and not post what I would normally during these circumstances.

12. typhoon

April 27, 2008 at 3:29 pm

The Phillies could platoon Victorino and Jenkins, at least for a little while.

13. Geoff

April 27, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Paul Maholm has humiliated them through 8 innings so far. You cant really get on them too hard because they took 2 out of 3 here and theyve been doing well lately. Outstanding pitching performance by Maholm.

14. erik

April 27, 2008 at 4:37 pm

sorry to hear about your loss tim. my thoughts and prayers are with you. if there is a bright side at least no one was killed or seriously injured. best of luck to you.

15. Gavin

April 27, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation Tim. Hang in there man. We’re praying for you. Go Phils.

16. Geoff