Posts

Philadelphia: 25 Years, 0 Titles

With the Flyers’ elimination in the Stanley Cup playoffs at the hands of the Pittsburgh Penguins, a little tragic information was picked up:

Philadelphia is now 25 years without a champion.

Writes Peter Mucha:

“Ed Rendell was district attorney, the Commodore 64 was a popular computer, and McNuggets were just a gleam of spattered grease in execs’ eyes at McDonald’s.”

More things off the top of my head about 1983:

• There was no mainstream Internet
  • There was no LeBron James
  • There was no Tim Malcolm
  • There was no digital filesharing
  • There were no cell phones
  • No. 1 song: “Let’s Dance” by David Bowie
  • No. 1 album: “Thriller” by Michael Jackson

The Phillies, obviously, went to the World Series in 1983 but lost 4-1 to the Baltimore Orioles. On that team: Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Garry Maddox, Gary Matthews, Von Hayes, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Steve Carlton, Larry Christenson, Larry Andersen, Tug McGraw.

Click to comment

1. Larry

May 19, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Don’t think Von Hayes was on that team. He cam from Cleveland a year or two later.

2. Brian

May 19, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Von Hayes came over from Cleveland in 82, he was on that team.

It’s almost impossible to be this bad, 100 seasons and 0 championships. You really have to try hard to do that, I mean even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

This Phillies ownership is responsible for 25 of those lovely seasons. What can we expect from a team that has 1 title since 1883.

Another interesting fact, since 83 there have been 2 days where a end to the drought was possible game 7 of 8 cup and the eagles pats super bowl pathetic.

3. Brian Michael

May 19, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Von Hayes was on the Phils in ’83. He came in before the season in the famous 5-for-1 deal that sent then-rookie Julio Franco packing.

4. Brian

May 19, 2008 at 1:51 pm

game 7 of 87 cup finals sorry

5. dave hollins

May 19, 2008 at 1:55 pm

I put steroids in my oatmeal for 8 years just so the above article would never have to be written. My spirit lives on in the names of Wesley Helms and David Bell who also flirted with .220 and a whole satchel of errors. My dreams of a championship are as wild as one of my trademark errant throws into the stands.

6. Geoff

May 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm

There have certaintly been a few chokes when I reflect on it (Eric Lindros, McNabb). When I think a team is good enough and has all the pieces ill get totally behind them even to a fault. But its been a while since I have seen that. The last team I recall being THAT good was the 2004 eagles. they really were good. I think with some tinkering the flyers are that good and with adequate pitching additions the phillies can be that good. i dont care about the nba so i cant really comment on that, thoguh it seems the sixers are a few years away.

but for this year, its all up to the phillies. the NL pennant is theirs for the taking as long as they go out and add the necesary pieces to the puzzle along the way here. Once you get to the last round anything can happen if you have the pieces in place. The Phillies need to buckle down and really play hard in May and June to try and grab a lead and open up some space on the division so that when, and im saying when, the ownership buckles and asks gillick to get the pitchers they need to win at the deadline, theyll be primed to explode and blow the division away and steamroll through the playoffs. the key time is now. they need to start playing much better because the NL is up for grabs every year and theres no reason why they shouldnt be the ones to step up and grab it.

7. phan_in_babylon

May 19, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Actually, I think the Motorola DynaTAC had its U.S. debut in 1983.

8. Tim Malcolm

May 19, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Correct, phan, thanks. Well, cell phones debuted that year. Still pretty crummy for us.

9. Lewisauce

May 19, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Geoff has laid out an interesting scenario: it’s his idea of what has to happen for ownership to step up and get the pitching. His opinion, if I’m reading it correctly, is that if the Phils get to July with a sizable division lead, ownership will say, “Holy crap! We can win it all! Let’s get the pitching!”

My question:

What, in your opinion, needs to happen for ownership to finally step up and get the pitching? What will trigger them to get up off their asses and try to win a championship?

(“Flying monkeys oughtta my butt,” “The apocalypse,” “Hell freezes over,” and similar answers won’t be accepted.)

My answer: I don’t think we need a big lead. I think two things need to happen: 1.) we need to be right there in it — not necessarily with a lead — come mid July; 2.) Gillick has to make an impassioned plea to ownership that this could be, not just “the year,” but the first of many years.

No. 1 will definitely happen. No. 2 is unlikely, because Pat is a lame duck who, let’s face it, isn’t going to give much of a sh*t about this team the day his last paycheck clears.

10. Lewisauce

May 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Dave Hollins: You just brought back memories, man. Memories …

11. Mantooth

May 19, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Geoff, you talk as though the Phillies have the prospects necessary to make deals for starting pitchers, they don’t. Its highly unlikely the Phils are going to be able to land one impact pitcher, let alone 2. Their only shot is to get Brett Myers turned around, if he doesn’t pitch at least like a #3, than the Phils simply do not have the pitching to play deep into October.

12. FCUKWILLAMPENN