Posts

Would Bedard Be The Missing Piece?

Time for your weekly trade rumor.

John McGrath of the News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash., throws the Phillies out there as a potential suitor for Erik Bedard. Supposedly since the Mariners are already out of the playoff race, he says it could be wise to give up on their 29-year-old lefty starter. He is 4-4 with a 4.26 ERA in 61.1 innings.

Bedard was traded by the Orioles to the Mariners in the offseason. The Orioles collected a bounty that included outfielder Adam Jones and pitcher George Sherrill.

MLB Trade Rumors touched on the rumor and mentioned the Phillies could trade Carlos Carrasco or Adrian Cardenas. McGrath went deeper into the farm system:

“A package for Bedard could include Adrian Cardenas, 20, a left-handed-hitting infielder regarded as the Phillies’ top prospect. And Brad Harman, 22, called up to Philadelphia from Double-A this spring as a replacement for the injured Rollins. And Jason Donald, a former University of Arizona standout.

“Not sold? Then demand Michael Taylor, a 6-foot-6, 260-pound Stanford product fast enough to qualify as a base-stealing threat. Or 6-5, 200-pound Dominic Brown, a former high school wide receiver who turned down a scholarship from the Miami Hurricanes last year.”

Is a package of Cardenas, Brown and a pitcher good enough to make a MLB roster (Happ?) enough for Bedard? I would try not to get rid of Carrasco (McGrath mentioned nothing about him) or even Joe Savery. Cardenas is blocked only if Ryan Howard remains in Philadelphia, but the rub: To win this year, this team needs Ryan Howard. Cardenas isn’t Philly-pennant-ready until 2011.

If Bedard can be had at the right price, well, I’m still not sure. He has pitched great at Safeco, but away from there he’s miserable (24.1 IP, 1-2, 7.40 ERA). Safeco is generally regarded as a pitcher’s park; Citizens Bank? Surprisingly its park factor of 0.986 makes it a “pitcher’s park.” Still, Bedard isn’t a wildly sure thing to be successful. It’s possible he’ll fit nicely between Cole Hamels and Brett Myers as a No. 2 starter, but I’m just not sure.

Click to comment

1. Adam Palmerio

June 9, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Bedard is top notch, and he would definetly be the missing piece. I would give up all the prospects for a chance to get him this year and hopefully sign him for three or four more. Seriously, who would stop the Phillies with him in our rotation? Come on Gillick, make the move!

2. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 3:11 pm

He would come tear it up in the NL considering no NL hitters have really seen him. I’d get him and still try to get another.

3. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 3:12 pm

if they snared him in, and signed him to an extension so you have hamels myers bedard for 3-4 years? RINGS! youd barely hear a peep out of me about the rotation assuming they all pitched well and kendrick continues to improve

4. chris m

June 9, 2008 at 3:13 pm

is he a free agent after this year? bc if he is a we dont do a sign and trade hell be gone… this wont ever happen anyways…its philadelphia we hear this shit all the time and how often does it happen? my piont

5. chris m

June 9, 2008 at 3:14 pm

love the idea though

6. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 3:16 pm

this is more likely to happen than the others because of gillicks whole seattle connections. he likes to trade with seattle and the white sox

7. chris m

June 9, 2008 at 3:42 pm

i dont think he just likes trading with the cities but he likes the gm’s…some gm’s like in washington are totally unrealistic.also i think those gm’s like trading with gillick…little jab at gillick if u notice

8. Mike T.

June 9, 2008 at 3:43 pm

I’d normally say this has no chance of going down, but something tells me this is going to happen. And yes, Bedard is absolutely the missing piece.

9. Tim Malcolm

June 9, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Bedard is arb-eligible in 2009 and is a free agent in 2010.

10. Gavin

June 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm

For those position player prospects……I’d do it in a heartbeat. If you could get bedard without losing Carrasco, Outman, Savery, Carpenter, etc……then you do it. Cardenas, Brown, and Happ…..are you kidding me?

Anybody know what kind of guy Bedard is? The Phils have a great clubhouse and I’d hate to see that fucked with.

Great point about Gillick and Seattle. I wouldnt say this is overly unrealistic.

11. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 3:52 pm

This rumors was started by the seattle papers, so im wondering where they got it from. i feel this one though. it makes perfet sense. its doable, and i like it. cardenas will probably be a perennial all star but hes blocked by utley and rollins. hes a few years away anyway. shame, ebacuse id really prefer keeping him. if they can get seattle to give up bedard for cardenas, happ and one of those other mid level prospects mentioned in the article, thats flat out robbery if bedard returns to form.

12. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Bedard doesnt talk to the media, could be a carlton-type stoneface. hope hes not a douche

13. Tim Malcolm

June 9, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Yeah, I don’t think it’ll merely take Cardenas, Happ and Brown or something. Back in December it was rumored Gillick offered the O’s Kendrick, Victorino and two prospects for Bedard, but was shot down. There’s a yardstick.

14. Gavin

June 9, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Sounds like he’s a dildo of a teammate according to the article. I’d be real careful with a dude like that.

15. Gavin

June 9, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Different scenerio this time around. i dont think the M’s would ask as much as the O’s mid-season.

16. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, I’d put Kendrick on the trade block for Bedard, or any other #1 or #2 type pitcher for that matter.

17. scot

June 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I gotta think this is just a frustrated Seattle writer. I don’t see how this makes sense for Seattle. I’m saying this thinking they gave a much better prospect package to Baltimore to get Bedard than we would be sending their way to take Bedard off their hands. I’d do it for the prospects listed, without a doubt. But, in the end, I think it’s just a northwest writer trying to make a name for himself by starting the rumor.

18. chris d

June 9, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I am a Philly fan living in Seattle and I have seen Bedard pitch and heard about his attitude in the locker room. He gives the press 5 questions and answers with one word. That is all they get. He is not a bad guy just temperamental and keeps to himself- not disruptive.

The Mariners should never have traded for him because they need so much else before they needed a pitcher of his caliber. His stats are not great but he normally does not do well during beginning of year. M’s are not giving him run support either.

I think both teams would benefit from this trade.

19. chris d

June 9, 2008 at 4:37 pm

scot, Art Thiel already is a respected sports writer in Seattle. He is not trying to make a name for himself. He is attempting to put a burr in the butts of management to get them to rebuild and get some prospects to this end.

20. chris d

June 9, 2008 at 4:39 pm

scot, I apologize the author is John McGrath and he is also well know and somewhat respected but again just hoping that management will get this notion in their heads to start making phone calls since season is lost.

21. scot

June 9, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info chris, I wasn’t attempting to come across as disrespectful though re-reading it, I guess I did. It just seems surprising to me to give up on a guy who they still have under wraps for another year at less money than say a Beltre or someone like that.

22. PhillyFriar

June 9, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Two things: (1) this is absolutely the kind of move the Phils should make; and (2) the Mariners are unlikely to want to do this.

First off, Bill Bavasi hung his hat on this deal, so to deal Bedard now would be to admit failure just a few months later. If he loses his job, then you never know, it obviously makes it more likely.

Secondly, what scot said above is right: the Phils couldn’t really offer a prospect package that’s better than what Seattle gave away (Jones, Sherrill, and a couple of promising young arms at lower levels). The M’s need MLB-ready hitting, which the Phils don’t necessarily have.

If I’m Gillick, I’m willing to part with a package built around Carrasco and Golson to get this done. But I’d be reluctant to give up Kendrick or Victorino, since the latter is an integral part of this team, and the latter is one of the only young starters we control for more than two years.

23. Tim Malcolm

June 9, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Carrasco and Golson is an intriguing idea, for sure. But would the M’s want Golson, who hasn’t proven himself against top-flight pitching?

24. bob

June 9, 2008 at 5:13 pm

this trade rumor has got to be a joke. why would you trade a guy coming off a year worthy of a cy young on a bad orioles team, someone who cost you jones AND sherrill, unless you just wanted him off the books?
    that said, if the trade did go through, the phils have to be automatic contenders for the world series. a rotation of bedard, hamels and myers in the postseason would be sick especially since bedard shuts down the red sox.

25. PhillyFriar

June 9, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Tim, that’s the big question. The scouting community is split on Golson: some hate him because he has no plate discipline, others love him because he’s a “toolshed” and there’s a chance he may have turned the corner. If the M’s fall into the latter camp, then there’s a chance they could be interested.

Other than Golson, the Phils don’t have any real impact bats available to give away unless they want to part with Victorino (which I wouldn’t) or Lou Marson (who, in my opinion, is the one prospect the Phils should make “untouchable”).

26. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 5:31 pm

They need to make Golson, Marson, Savery, and Carrasco untouchable. Let go of Cardeans considering he’ll never play a day in a Phillies uniform with Utley blocking the way. As much as we all hate Howard right now, he’s still Ryan Howard. The owners should stop being cheap pussies, and sign Howard to a long term deal. They shoulda did that his MVP year, but they’re retarded. We wouldn’t have been dealing with this arbitration shit right now if we did that. Lock up Hamels too. Trade for Bedard and lock him up. Then you have the 2 MVP’s and future MVP locked up along with 2 possible cy youngs. Resign Burrell lock up Victorino and wait for Golson to come along and play right field. This team would be ridiculous for the next 5+ years. They won’t do it though, the Phillies owners are too cheap.

27. Rob

June 9, 2008 at 5:55 pm

I would make this trade in a package built around Happ and Kendrick. I would keep Cardenas out of it as he can play second, if Howard gets traded, and moving Utley to first. Also Howard will bring back a good crop of prospects.

28. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Thats what a team does that wants to win championshipS. I hope they at LEAST sign hamels long-term and get bedard and sign him to an extension so the rotation is strong at the front. keeping lidge and burrell is also important. this team will win the division easily theres no doubt about that. the only question now is how far can they go? id liek some additional ammunition for the playoffs in the rotation and bullpen thats for sure.

29. chris m

June 9, 2008 at 6:05 pm

most of these people are out of there mind. they want us to lock up everyone. its not possible with our payroll. and kendrick isn worth that much on the trade market lets be honest . phil wants up to lock up howard, bedard, hamels, lidge, burell, victorino…….how is that pussible? come on phil lets be realistic

30. PhillyFriar

June 9, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Phil: if they make all those guys untouchable, they won’t be able to trade for a legit starter, especially Bedard.

Rob: Kendrick couldn’t net us Bedard last offseason as the fourth best player in a four-man package, so I don’t think he and Happ would get us very much.

Look, I hate giving up prospects, but this team is built to win now, and if you can get a frontline starter without completely gutting your farm system, then do it. If I were Pat Gillick, I’d offer the Mariners Golson, Carrasco, Donald and Jaramillo as a starting point and see what happens.

31. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Lefty for the bullpen and another #1 or #2 starter. Hamels is a little too young to be the big game ace we need. Give him another year or 2. I’m okay with the Coste/Ruiz platoon especially knowing we have Marson soon. Jenkins/Werth platoon is also very good, but I’m sure Werth might be used as trade bate. Victorino, Burrell, and the infield are all untouchable and are all set in stone as far as I’m concerned. Even the best teams have platoons, so I’ll reiterate that Werth/Jenkins Coste/Ruiz are good platoons and we should be fine with them.

32. chris d

June 9, 2008 at 6:09 pm

PhillyFriar, yes this is Bavasi’s dying tribute to this team. Like I said earlier this team should never have traded for a pitcher of this quality since they had to give up much needed talent. Not only did they give up Adam Jones who is starting to hit now in Baltimore but Sherrill and 2 other top talent pitchers.

We are hoping that not only Bavasi is fired but the management that hired him and keeps making piss poor decisions. Of course, M’s are going to want to get the best talent Phillies have to replace what they lost. We will see what happens.

Being both a Phillies and M’s fan I would win with a trade. I would love to see Bedard pitch in Philly.

33. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Is there a way to email this article to Gillick just in case he is unaware of the idea. Maybe he will called up the M’s and try to get this done sooner than later.

34. chris m

June 9, 2008 at 6:32 pm

dont count on gillick to get much done

35. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 6:45 pm

i know, right phil? it almost feel like you have to call them up and like let them know that they can do this and it can work.

36. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 6:46 pm

ill bet you can do this trade without having to give up golson, savery, carrasco, marson, or anyone on your current roster.

37. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 6:47 pm

bruce should be on board with this trade too as it would be a chance for his man-idol-crush pat gillick to cement a positive legacy here

38. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 7:18 pm

I hope he can get this done, or any pitcher for that matter. Sheets, Penny, Harden, Blanton, Burnett, etc. will all be on the trade block.

39. chris m

June 9, 2008 at 7:32 pm

i dont want burnett…he could opt out after this year and way to injury prone…sheets way tooo injury prone. pennys had a tough year….harden and blanto aint worth what there asking. seems like bedard is the perfect match. but gillick never wants to jump on it unless a bunch of other teams are involved like with garcia and then giive up to much. good call geoff with gillick having a chance to erase our bad memories if he doesnt give up too much….thats the key, not too much

40. Tim Malcolm

June 9, 2008 at 7:45 pm

I’ll go back to my original question: Would we really want Bedard? He’s atrocious on the road (granted it’s against the high-offense Yankees and Rays, mainly) and his two years top-flight experience doesn’t necessarily equal a shutdown No. 2.

41. Gnomicide

June 9, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I’d take him for those prospects. Who would get the boot though? Eaton?

42. Eli

June 9, 2008 at 9:10 pm

another starter would be great especially for the playoffs

43. PhillyFriar

June 9, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Tim: yes, we’d really want Bedard. The questions regarding him revolve around his durability, not his ability — he’s more talented than every Phils pitcher but Hamels. For a year and a half, you roll the dice that he’ll stay healthy and continue to improve (since last year was his true breakout campaign). With the current lineup and a 1-2-3 punch of Hamels, Bedard and Myers, the Phils would have to be favorites in the National League.

Gnomicide: a tough call given how Eaton’s pitched lately, but I guess that’s a bridge you cross when you come to it. Too many starters isn’t a bad problem to have, though; as last year showed, anyone can go down at any time.

44. chris d

June 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm

It is a tough go when you come to a new team and the team fails to score runs. The M’s are probably last in AL in runs scored. That makes pitching much more difficult. I think that has been part of his problem. At home Safeco is such a pitchers park he can relax more there.

45. VA Steve

June 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Hasn’t he also had problems staying healthy? That would be a big concern as well.

46. Jerry

June 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm

I’d rather have a guy like Greg Maddux than Bedard.

Imagine, Maddux and Moyer, pitching together for one last shot at a championship. It would be amazing, as much as it would be hilarious.

47. T Mac

June 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm

We have to be looking at everything in terms of getting to the World Series THIS YEAR.

To do that, we have to have another shutdown frontline starter. Even if Myers continues to pitch well and makes a decent #2, I don’t like Kendrick, Moyer, or Eaton as the third starter in the playoffs.

The front office has to be willing to give up quite a bit to get a Bedard, Sheets, etc.
    But they can’t trade Victorino or Werth – we need both of those guys.
    It’s going to have to be a really strong group of prospects.

I’m not as worried about another lefty reliever – I think we can find one in system to take the lost slot in the pen.

We do need a Bourn-type who can really run as a PR and be a defensive outfield replacement.

48. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm

i agree about bourn being missed. they really need a 5th outfielder that can contribute. youre exactly right, they need to go all out and go for it this year. they can win it all this year. they just need to get the final few pieces. theyre already going to win the division easily. now its world series time. that has to be the focus

49. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm

We have Taguchi. He’s comparable enough, and if Werth is on the bench we have him too. You can even bring Golson up if you’re that worried. He has speed and D. That would be good too because it can give him some play time in the bigs. We need a #2, another #1 would be nice, but I think Myers is a #3 right now. Let’s see what happens.

50. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm

id rather have a 5th guy who can hit a little better

51. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm

thats nitpicky though, id focus on the starter

52. Phil

June 9, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Are you serious? Burrell is fine.

53. Geoff

June 9, 2008 at 11:00 pm

maddux only goes like 5-6 innings. still too much strain on the bullpen

54. Pat Gillick

June 9, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Listen up you pesky bloggers! Have you nothing better to do, than bash me and my high-roller, incognito, owner buddies. DAmn you all to hell!

I just want to drink Old Fashions’ & wear our another Hawaiin shirt.

By the by, ye of little faith, I could easily pawn off Carlos Monasterios & two sixround picks for Bedard. I’m that good!

You’ll thank me, you little buggers – not unlike Sal Fasano…

55. Carlos Beltran

June 10, 2008 at 12:19 am

Tell Jimmy Rollins that I’ll be leading my team to under .500 with my 6 homers and .257 avg. come June!!!

56. Phil

June 10, 2008 at 1:17 am

Hey, Bedard aside I wanted to point out our pitching has an ERA of 3.2 during this 14 game streak. We’ve outscored opponents 99 to 46. That’s 7.1 rpg for us vs 3.2 rpg for them. That’s really dominant. If our pitching staff is going to let up only 3 runs per game on average than I’m really happy with that. Getting a guy like Bedard would be incredible though. Let’s see what can happen.

57. Bruce

June 10, 2008 at 1:33 am

Had a busy day. I thought a take a look here before going to bed.

WHOA! “Fantasy” baseball at its’ imaginative best (laughter). So many trade scenarios proposed by posters here who are practically drooling for Bedard. And all it started with an article by an internet writer, John McGrath, who gave an opinion and suggestion. It’s not even a clubhouse rumor (chuckle). Oh well, it’s fun for the bloggers to speculate. Nothing wrong with that.

Think about this; can you possibly believe that Seattle would practically give away Bedard (even with a subpar season so far for him) after just two months of a season? Especially when they aquired him to stablize their rotation for the next 5 years or so. And as a large market club, they can afford to extend his $7 million contract.

To answer Tim Malcom’s original question (for fun): No, I don’t think Bedard is worth the price of Phillies’ better prospects. Certainly not for a 1 yr rental. Besides, Phillies can’t compete against teams loaded with prospects like the Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays.

Oh… and to VA Steve’s question about Bedard’s track record on injuries.
    here it is…..

Disabled List: [May 7,2003] – Transferred to 60 day DL. [Nov 20,2003] – Activated [May 26,2005] – 15 Day Disabled list – (strained medial collateral ligament in his left knee) [Jul 18,2005] – Activated [Sep 9,2007] – 15 Day Disabled list – (Strained oblique muscle)- [April 15, 2008] – 15 Day Disabled List – (hip inflammation).

58. Phanatic74

June 10, 2008 at 2:38 am

Don’t deplete our farm system . . . . . Does Howard or Utley ring a bell? The Phillies farm system is what is making this team so damn good. Go Phightins !!

phanatic74.worpress.com

59. chris m

June 10, 2008 at 7:52 am

phil, those run numbers are definatly skewed…we havnt been dominating these last 7 games or so…..in the earlier three of those games we scored a 20, 15, and a 12( in think). thats 47 of 99 in THREE games!

60. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 8:46 am

thats my argument though, we gotta stop being timid and jsut go for it. just get a stuf in here in the rotaion to leave all doubters behind. no what ifs

61. Robbi P

June 10, 2008 at 9:07 am

Bedard will be a philadelphia philly right around the same time that Miguel Tejeda will be our third basemen. If this trade goes through, sweet deal im all for major league pitching, but after being a Phillies fan for a while now I realize we just don’t get that kind of pitching. Look for a washed up pitcher(a la Steve Kline for reliever) or an obscure pitcher for the Phillies to get. The Phillies best shot at another pitcher may be Randy Wolf or waiting out Kris Benson though I don’t think he’s going to see anytime in a Phillies uniform. Another god rumor to start would be to go after Aaron Harang since the Reds may begin to rebuild too. A Pirates pitcher may get traded but I don’t see the Phillies netting a superstar. I remember the Scott Rolen and Curt Schilling deals were we got crap. Sorry if I offend Polanco fans(though it would’ve been sweet to see him at 3b right now)

62. Phil

June 10, 2008 at 9:28 am

I’d love to get Harang. That guy is awesome, and he gets no run support. He’s much, much better than his 2-9 record. I’d take Harang in a heart beat. I’d honestly take Harang over Bedard. Harang had a few running years as a cy young candidate. He’s an ace on any team, and with the acquisition of Volquez the Reds might not need Harang and his pay roll anymore. They’ll be unloading Griffey and Dunn for sure. If they unloaded Harang too I’d say go for him over Bedard.

63. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 9:54 am

we have to stop being so weak and timid. we need to demand action and when they deliver that final piece, get behind the team and drive them to a world series championship. harang would cost the farm. i think bedard wont. seattle is in complete turmoil, that general manager wont even me making the decision. besides, king felix is the ace of that staff, hes like 22 years old still.

64. Phil

June 10, 2008 at 9:56 am

All of the Phillies fans should gather up and make signs and go down to Citizens Bank Park and stand outside with signs saying we want a pitcher and refuse to buy tickets until PG gets a pitcher. haha

65. Mickey

June 10, 2008 at 9:58 am

This is great! A frustrated Seattle sports reporter has done more with a wish than any rumor columnist has probably done in 3 years!

Bedard would be great to help anchor this staff, as well as boost some confidence in a few nay sayers. I’ve read and seen Harang, Blanton, Harden, and even Randy Wolf get some love. The A’s will not unload Harden just yet, and their price will probably be higher than Seattle’s for Bedard. A.J. Burnett is a terrible idea. I’m thinking obscure back injury is next for him. Examples of this include Kevin Brown diving to catch his kid from falling off the bed and Sammy Sosa sneezing.

If Seattle tries to move Bedard, we won’t be the only team going for him. Look to the Yankees to put in a bid followed closely by the Red Sox, and then the Mets to try because the Phillies will want him, and the Braves, Dodgers, and possibly the Cubs. Gillick will have plenty of teams to play off of if Seattle does indeed shop Bedard around.

66. Lewisauce

June 10, 2008 at 10:29 am

Mickey’s right. Lots of teams are absolutely desperate for starting pitching, and the deep-pocket, deep-farm Yankees are top of the pops. Their record’s no good right now, but they’ll make a playoff run at some point. The Sox seem to have weekly starting pitching issues (it’s like they’re keeping a DL-rotation with one guy always on it).

Basically, every team that thinks it can go all the way this year (Cubs, Sox) and any team that thinks it still has a playoff shot (Yanks, Dodgers) will be scouring the league for pitching.

I still don’t think Seattle’s gonna move him anyway.

67. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 11:22 am

The Phillies have to say, screw that, screw the competition, were gooing to get our man and go win a world championship. maybe its bedard, maybe its burnett. lowe, blanton, vasquez, maybe even millwood or padilla, or perhaps arroyo, sabathia, lee. theres plenty of guys out there. pick one of the best and go after them and ge tit done wihtout giving up the farm. one of those guys can be had for a reasonable price. not blanton because billy beane is waaaaay ouit of line with his demands

68. Bruce

June 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Too bad you’re not the GM for the Phillies (chuckle). You can “screw” the owners’ self-imposed salary/payroll cap. Of course, the silent cauldron of megabuck hoarders would be in a major tift with you and sent you packing (laughter).

My point, I guess, is that Gillick and his bean counting assistants have to deal with the owners’ “cap” imposition when looking for, in your words..”a final few pieces”. You want a high salaried top notch pitcher(s) that will cost prospects and more. Reality check says you’re dreaming. One has to set their sights a liittle lower when looking for a quality pitcher as “reinforcement” or in my word, insurance for the team.
    I am reminded and this may sound like “crying over spilled milk”, that Gillick had a golden opportunity during the off season to sign Kyle Lohse
    for $4.2 million. Lohse has been a godsend for St. Louis this season. He leads the league in number of starts (14); compiled a 7-2 record with an ERA of 3.92 and a 1.25 WHIP. It is along this line that Gillick will search for another Kyle Lohse type before the trade deadline.

69. Phil

June 10, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Loshe went for $4.2 million? Are you serious? He was asking for $10 million. Thought that was why we didn’t sign him. I really liked Kyle Loshe a lot.

70. Bruce

June 10, 2008 at 12:50 pm

That’s true Phil but if I remember correctly, Lohse had little or no offers for what he (or his agent) demanded and remained unsign for most of the winter. Lohse lowered his asking price drastically and could be had for $4.2 million for which Gillick failed to pounce on.

71. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 1:00 pm

im tired of explaining the same thing over and over again. bruce is probably an exmployee of the phillies who gets paid to come on here and spread disinformation like dave spadaro of the eagles. typing bootlicking praise while pat gillick is hovering over his shoulder.

dude, you need to get another top-level starter. NO teams rotation AND bullpen is the same for the entire season. that just doesnt happen in major league baseball. i doubt it has ever happened in the past 15 years. maybe once or twice. its not going to happen with this team. theyre going to need reinforcements, so youd better get good ones. make a run at a world championship and stop cowering under the table and thinking that what you have now is good enough in the rotation.

complacency breeds failure as we have seen with the eagles for years now. they WILL win the division and make the playoffs. now the only issue at hand is winning a world championship. i want all the pieces to the puzzle, i want all hands on deck, now is the time to go for it! the national league is open for the taking. if they do this they can be a dominant team and go down in history in a positive way.

its hard to pick one guy and demand him if youre a fan, but you can demand reinforcements. to think theyre not going to need more difference making bodies in there is absurd. you should always be prepared.

72. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 1:02 pm

but heres hoping that brett myers pitches well again tonight, he really needs it. this is the time for him to establish himself and dominate, especially within the division.

73. Bruce

June 10, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Geoff~
    I had a good laugh reading your latest post. Have you thought about trying out as a stand-up comedian on Comedy Central network? (chuckle)

I wonder if you took time to read carefully…word for word.. what I posted? I never said I opposed “reinforcement(s)” per se. What I debated is the CHOICE of reinforcement(s). Sure, we all would love to have another top starter in the rotation. However, I’m taking a more realistic approach given what Gillick is dealt with regarding the owners’ imposition on payroll cap.

So as Lewisauce said…lots of teams are absolutely desperate for starting pitching..” and the Phillies will have a difficult task in competing with free spending & prospects riched teams. Let’s hope Gillick can find and NOT hesitate this time around in trading/signing for a Kyle Lohse type pitcher before the trade deadline.

74. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 1:45 pm

i still cant belive lohse is 7-2. hes definitely going to get paid this offseason.

my philosophy is get the best guy you can. if you have to settle for someone less then so be it but you have to go out there and get the best guy within reason while not destroying your farm system.

75. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 1:47 pm

besides, if you want to free up some payroll AND go after an elite starter and be able to sign them long term as well as cole hamels, theres one easy solution taht can kill two birds with one stone…..trade ryan howard! lol.

76. ryan

June 10, 2008 at 2:04 pm

i would gladly give up our top prospects to get bedard this year. prospects don’t pan out at least half of the time (probably even more in the phillies pathetic farm system) and bedard is a proven ace. even if he hasn’t been dominant so far this year, he can turn it on at any time. we need to push to win it all this year!!! this is our year to go for the throat and win it all!!!!! no more resting on our laurels and /or standing pat. its time to go for the jugular. we are already good enough to go deep into the playoffs, but we need to not be happy enough with that alone. we need to win the world friggin series this year!

77. chris m

June 10, 2008 at 2:36 pm

geoff im with you….trade howard…. collect prospects(the new way of winning championships even though h e WASS a prospect)…sign cole and collect prospects.

78. Geoff

June 10, 2008 at 2:47 pm

im all about that although i kind of think they should do that at the winter meetings. all they need this year is another top notch starter and a bullpen arm and a better fifth outfielder. let him ride this season out with us and then let the bidding war begin and simmer on the hot stove all winter.

79. Pingback: Would Bedard Be The Missing Piece? | Blogbdon

80. Kyle

June 13, 2008 at 5:11 pm

It’s just a rumor. It’d defiently be the missing piece but I don’t think it’ll be worth it. We would give up 2 or 3 good prospects and get a pitcher who is Arb-eligble in 09. Then a FA in 2010. We need to sign Howard long term. So we wouldn’t be able to afford both players. Gillick never brings in GREAT players. We get them all from the farm system ( from Ed Wayde ). The only good player we got and kept in a trade was Jamie Moyer. So I think, in his last year, he’ll stay running the team the way it is. It works. So until we get a GM that likes to spend money ( Hank Steinbrener ) we’ll get a dominate pitcher.

81. MacDice

June 13, 2008 at 5:57 pm

How about Howard for Bedard? If the Phillies are not going to sign him to a long term deal then deal him. Mariners need a 1B and left handed power.

82. WPSN

June 13, 2008 at 7:29 pm

I thought Bedard has been nothing but a nuisance on teams he’s played for? Hasn’t he been a cancer in the Seattle locker room and he’s only been there a few months? I’d prefer following in the Rockies footsteps from 2007 and bring up a young arm like Carrasco towards the end of the year. Sometimes it takes the league a while to get the book on him and before they do he could win us a few big games. We know he has the stuff. Why give up the young prospects that we’re already lacking in the farm system?

83. Arsalan

June 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Bedard is not worth giving up all those good prospects for. Why not wait until the deadline when teams out of the race and are willing to trade good players away. Bedard is in a pitcher friendly park and has not played well. Why would he play well in Philly. We should have gotten Dan Haren in the offseason he is better than Bedard.

84. Arsalan

June 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm

The reason the phils didn’t sign lohse is because he took to long to lower his price and philly spent their money on players that do not produce as well.

85. Larry Dickman

June 15, 2008 at 10:42 am

Anyone who thinks Ryan “Whiff” Howard is going to be signed long-term must be from Mars.