Breaking News: Brett Myers Demoted To AAA – Phillies Nation
Posts

Breaking News: Brett Myers Demoted To AAA

Brett Myers has agreed to be optioned to AAA Lehigh Valley, according to the Phillies.

Myers is 3-9 with a 5.84 ERA this season. He was the Opening Day starter. From GM Pat Gillick:

“I can’t say enough about Brett’s willingness to accept this assignment. He understood and is eager to get back on track again. He is struggling right now, but he is a quality major league pitcher who we are going to need in the second half of the season.

“The idea was something that Ruben [Amaro], Charlie [Manuel], Rich [Dubee] and I talked about the last couple of days. We just felt it was the best situation for Brett. This way he can continue being a starting pitcher. We discussed it with Brett and his agent and we all came to a meeting of the minds.”

Myers will start Wednesday night for the IronPigs against the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees. A decision on his replacement is also expected tomorrow.

Tim Malcolm: The best move, really. Myers needs to regain his stuff and composure, and the team needs to press forward in the heat of a playoff race. Good on Myers for accepting the demotion, as well. As a veteran player he could’ve denied it. His replacement should be James Happ, who has looked sparkling lately for the IronPigs. As for Brett, he needs to get back on the horse. Give him a couple starts down there, let him find his way.

Click to comment

1. RJ

July 1, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Wow! I think this was the best possible solution, next to putting him on the DL with an “injury.” If the Phillies would have moved him to the bullpen, they would have been giving in to him and his stubborn, childish ways. Hopefully this fixes his issues.

2. Geoff

July 1, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Thats very grown-up of Brett to accept that assignment. Looks like its down to Carrasco or Happ

3. OZ

July 1, 2008 at 4:17 pm

good job Brett. let’s hope this helps. Happ is the man!

4. Geoff

July 1, 2008 at 4:24 pm

YOu guys misinterpret my rants sometimes i think. Im not saying dont root for them and tune them out. THeyll be in it, itll be exciting, theyll probly be in the playoffs. But you saw the gap during interleague play. They cant make up that gap at the trade deadline, its just too much.

Thank goodness myers is out. He was unwatchable.

5. Griffin

July 1, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Good for Brett, hopefully he turns it around (either in the rotation or the pen). The Phils now have to make their first pitching roster move of the season, and it’s JULY. Talk about being fortunate with injuries.

6. Griffin

July 1, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I forgot about Lidge being activated for the 4th game of the season, but the Phillies have used the same 12 pitchers all year.

7. Geoff

July 1, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I STILL, despite everything I said today, maintain my prediction that they will win the division. despite all negative statements about blowing up the team in the offseason.

8. PhillyFriar

July 1, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Excellent news and, as Geoff says, very mature of Brett to accept the assignment. His focus in Lehigh Valley should be: command, command, command.

Why wait till Wednesday for the decision? Happ should be called up right now.

9. ped

July 1, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Myers IS totally unwatchable right now. I was at his last start (yes I’m a phils fan living in Texas), and watching him blow a 4 run lead was killer on my weak stomach.

10. Don M

July 1, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Its got to be Happ… Carrasco is starting to get hit around a little bit at Reading.

11. ped

July 1, 2008 at 4:46 pm

How far away is Benson from coming up?

With off day yesterday, the phils can skip myers start, thus getting 4 more days until they need someone so they could take more time to make the decision.

12. Geoff

July 1, 2008 at 4:49 pm

benson is an average pitcher at best when 100 percent healthy.

even if he comes back he wont be 100 percent, so he will only be able to giv eyou 4 or 5 innings of below average perforance..

13. Jeffrey

July 1, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I can’t say enough about Brett’s willingness to accept this assignment

I think Gillick and everyone else is giving Myers too much credit. All he’s done is the simple, decent thing anyone should be expected to do at their job for the sake of their co-workers. People don’t deserve attaboys for doing what should be expected of them.

14. Gavin

July 1, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I’m shocked…….never in a million years did I expect them to do this. I figured they would send him to the pen and send Condrey out. When can you remember a veteran pitcher with this type of contract get sent down. Hell, even Eaton didnt get sent down last year.

Do you think that they gave him the option of going to AAA to work it out or going to the pen to be a mop up guy to work it out and he chose AAA? I cant imagine that they didnt give him an option.

I’m kinda bummed. I mean, this is supposed to be our #1. Hopefully it will open some eyes in the clubhouse. Hey Ryan, if you dont pick it up the iron pigs need a DH next week. wink wink.

15. Gavin

July 1, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Happ will be called up. he deserves the shot.

16. ped

July 1, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I suspect part of the reason Myers was so “willing” to go to AAA is that he has been part of trade rumors lately. He likely doesn’t want to get traded, so he’ll do whatever is asked of him.

17. Gavin

July 1, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I doubt that. I think he wants to be a starter or a closer and if going to AAA will help him find his stuff again then oh well.

18. The voice of reason

July 1, 2008 at 5:11 pm

The guy is struggling with confidence on the hill………is shipping his ass to Lehigh really going to give him a confidence boost? I think we’ve seen the last of Brett Myers in a Phillies uniform.

19. NJ

July 1, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Finally there is a god watching over Philadelphian sports teams… It’s the best scenario to stand a chance of an effective Brett Myers making an impact down the stretch altough Leigh Valley doesn’t seem like the most positive environment for the guys we want to see at some point in Philly.

Does anyone know how we were able to make the move without placing him on the DL and then down for rehab assignments as his minor league options were surely over long ago?

With Gordon creaky lets just hope this isn’t the point where we loose continuity in the pitching staff.

20. scot

July 1, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I’m shocked that Myers accepted this. He’s a much bigger person than I gave him credit for.

21. Mike

July 1, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Cudos to you Brett. I know it’s a tough pill to swallow, but I think he realizes how serious his problems are. Hopefully he will break his mechanics and mindset back down to basics and FOCUS! If you look at the video of Brett celebrating the 1st place finish last year as opposed to the expression and the body language that we have seen so far this year – an absolute animal vs. a cupcake. Come on Brett get your focus back brother! Hit your spots consistently and you will be right back in the bigs! Go Phillies!

22. Bruce

July 1, 2008 at 5:27 pm

I hope that Myers can regain both his confidence and ability that he has shown in previous years. Once he can resolve the problems whether it’s mechanics, contol or pitch selection, he can still be an asset to the Phillies in the second half. I commend him for accepting the option to the AAA club. He’s doing it for what it’s best for him and the team. He took the same position last season in accepting his role in the bullpen.

I’m betting on JA Happ to be his replacement when that is announced
    (tomorrow?).

23. Dave

July 1, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Should he start or move to the bullpen for IPs? Based on his first half results, maybe he would be more valuable to the Phillies in the bullpen down the stretch…especially if Gordon’s arm is getting tired.

24. Bill

July 1, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Good attitude on his part to accept the demotion but I have to wonder if he will be able to return and contribute. Some of his issues are mechanical but much of his troubles are in his head. Anyone? remember Joe Cowley?

25. Vernon Dozier

July 1, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Where’s Kyle Lohse when you need him?

26. Mark T

July 1, 2008 at 7:34 pm

So much being said about “willingness” to accept the assignment, but quite frankly who else would want him with the season he’s been having? He’s not a viable option for any halfway decent team at this point.

27. Matt

July 1, 2008 at 7:36 pm

“Boom.. outta here”

28. The AAA Scranton Yankees

July 1, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Thanks. U just guaranteed us a win on Thursday.

29. Pingback: The case for J.A. Happ « Them’s Good Eaton: Philly/New York sports with a “PC twist”

30. marissa

July 2, 2008 at 1:41 am

so happy he is outta there, i swear he gave up more homeruns in the first than any other starter, ever.

31. Mark

July 2, 2008 at 2:40 am

About time!!

32. brooks

July 2, 2008 at 3:03 am

I too was surprised that he was demoted but am happy. Charlie has once again taken control which in itself is impressive.
    Next on the list? Who would be sad to see ‘No Hit’ Nunuez’s replacement, Carlos Ruiz, go? After his average reached a season high of .230 in the earlier part of June, he has pretty much gone girly on us all. Carlos Ruiz needs to move on, down or out…. Perhaps Coste is not the everyday answer but Carlos certainly is not.
    Carlos, you have had enough time to show us what you are capable of my friend.
    Time to move on.

33. Pat

July 2, 2008 at 6:34 am

Who’s going to Coca Cola Park tomorrow?

34. Julie

July 2, 2008 at 8:01 am

Good move. I hope Gillick also included the Lehigh Valley’s best therapist in this package too. We need the old, wild, and excited to play (but not abusive!) Brett back.

35. Simon and Garfunkle

July 2, 2008 at 10:49 am

“Where have you gone Brett Myers…Phillies Nation turns their lonely eyes to you…..wooohoo.”

36. Don M

July 2, 2008 at 10:54 am

“your fastball’s belt-high… and crushed-away……FARaway-ay-ay….ay-ay-ay”

37. Simon and Garfunkle

July 2, 2008 at 12:21 pm

LOL :0

38. Pingback: NG Life » Blog Archive » Anatomy of a player: Brett Myers

39. Pingback: National League East Preview « Random Observations and Various Rants

40. wholesale shoes