Bruntlett The Best Choice To Start At Third

Yesterday Charlie Manuel started Greg Dobbs at third base in place of the injured Pedro Feliz, and he went 0-for-3. Moreover, he remains a liability defensively at the hot corner.

Quickly checking out some numbers, I found it’s much more beneficial for the Phils to keeps Dobbs a bench player. He likes that role, he thrives in that role, and Eric Bruntlett isn’t a bad option to start.

Bruntlett as starter (142 PA): .242 AVG/.312 OBP/.352 SLG/2 HR/12 RBI
Bruntlett as substitute (33 PA): .222 AVG/.364 OBP/.222 SLG/0 HR/0 RBI

Dobbs as starter (81 PA): .237 AVG/.284 OBP/.316 SLG/1 HR/7 RBI
Dobbs as substitute (62 PA): .397 AVG/.419 OBP/.586 SLG/2 HR/7 RBI

As it shows, Bruntlett seems to be a better starter than a sub, while Dobbs is much more successful off the bench. Start Dobbs, and you automatically lose a bench bat, whereas if you start Bruntlett, Dobbs remains the weapon he needs to be. For Manuel, it makes sense to plug Bruntlett into the lineup everyday.

Click to comment

1. Geoff

July 30, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Nobody gives a shit about the nfl on this blog.

2. I know You

July 30, 2008 at 3:56 pm

You guys think

3. Jeffrey

July 30, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Anyway, I agree. And it certainly makes more sense than what Charlie did last night, subbing Bruntlett at third so early in the game (bottom of the 7th, I think) with only a two-run lead.

4. Richie Allen

July 30, 2008 at 4:00 pm

I like the way you spelled chucnky……..
    Anyway I see the numbers on the two players but I still like Dobbs in the lineup for 4 at bats..Put Bruntlett in for defence in late innings

5. Tim Malcolm

July 30, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Seriously, don’t spam the blog. Contribute to the discussions or your comments will be deleted.

6. Gavin

July 30, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Tim, you’re exactly right.

7. NEPA

July 30, 2008 at 4:08 pm

I agree with Tim here. Dobbs seems to struggle as a starter, offensively and defensively. He’s been the best pinch hitter in the league and the best in Phillies history, I think he needs to stay there. I like how Bruntlett played when filling in for Jimmy earlier in the year and he gets my vote as the starter. When the Phillies are in the late innings of a close game, I love knowing we have a serious weapon in Dobbs that can come in and really produce in a big spot.

8. bull

July 30, 2008 at 4:14 pm

plus having dobbs late in the game puts the opposing manager at odds on matchups…

9. Richie

July 30, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I disagree, I say just platoon them. The statistics about Dobbs not hitting as well as a starter is a small sample size, plus Bruntlett’s avg is like 7 points higher. I don’t have a problem taking him out late for a defensive replacement, but the thought of having Bruntlett getting four at-bats a game rather than Dobbs just doesn’t seem like a wise choice.

10. Asphincter

July 30, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I’d rather have David Bell

11. Don M

July 30, 2008 at 4:37 pm

they both hit only .250 vs Lefties…. Dobbs hits over .300 vs Righties…. so start him against the righties, but start Bruntlett against the lefties

12. rob

July 30, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I agree with letting Brunlett take the majority of starts, with dobbs going every 4 games. Also When did Kyle Drybek have TJ surgery?

13. Richie

July 30, 2008 at 4:51 pm

He had Tommy John last July I think.

14. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I’m sure this was mentioned, but the Yankees got Pudge for a nobody. Why did we not go after Pudge is beyond me.

15. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm

btw I’ve been saying that all along that Dobbs should ONLY pinch hit. He can’t hit when he’s playing. When he’s used as a pinch hitter he gets in the zone.

16. Bill

July 30, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Interesting stats. I always prefered Dobbs because of his bat but from these stats it looks like you are right. Bruntlett certainly has the better glove.