Myers Impressive In Win Over Nationals

Brett Myers pitched well in seven innings, giving up no runs on seven baserunners in a 2-1 Phillies win over the Nationals. Myers lowered his ERA to 5.46 in the process, and the Phils remained 0.5 games back of the Mets for first place in the National League East.

Myers threw only 88 pitches, an astounding 63 for strikes. He got ahead of hitters, used his curveball and slider to perfection and his fastball looked pretty good. Of course, the Nationals are a horrible offensive team in the middle of an epic slide (one run in their last 28 innings). Still, give Myers credit for throwing strikes, something he didn’t do at all against the Mets in his first start back from the minors. His next start at Saint Louis will be a more appropriate indicator, but this time out he was very effective, and there should be room for promise.

Chase Utley stroked his 27th home run of the season for the Phils only runs. They let up a run in the eighth, also thanks partly to Utley. He blundered a possible double play ball and put two on for the Nats with no outs. Upon Myers’ exit, JC Romero got the next two outs, letting a run score on a give-it-up grounder. Chad Durbin got the last out. Yet again the bullpen shuts the door — what would this team do without them, especially Durbin?

Brad Lidge — don’t forget him — shut the door for an easy 1-2-3 save, his 25th in as many chances, extending the franchise record.

If the pitching doesn’t go as well, we’re talking about the offense’s inability to score off rookie starter Collin Balester, who was asking to get punched around. Instead, it’s a win against a bad offense, and we’re talking about a big performance for a guy who needed it bad.

Associated Press photo

Click to comment

1. Griffin

July 29, 2008 at 10:25 pm

nicely done Brett, but it is the Nats…

2. that guy

July 29, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Not really a major league lineup but that is still an improvement for Burt Myers

3. Zach L

July 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm

why not give myers some credit? he bounced back from a mediocre outing against the mets to come out and throw 88 pitches, 63 for strikes and only give up one unearned run.

4. Tim Malcolm

July 29, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I’m not convinced he would’ve thrown 63/88 for strikes against a better offense and would’ve shut em out. Sunday night is the key start. But this was a very nice showing.

5. J-Man

July 29, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Myers deserves credit where it’s due,but yes it was against the Nationals.

6. NEPA

July 29, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Yes, Sunday is definitely the key start for Myers. It’s against a good Cardinals team and pressure will be magnified with it being a Sunday Night game on ESPN. I have a feeling tonight might just be an aberration due to the awfulness of the Nats, but maybe this will boost his confidence and he can come out strong against the Cards.

7. CT

July 29, 2008 at 10:50 pm

correction… it was actually Utley’s 26th HR of the season

8. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Man, you guys are so fickle. He was straight up nasty tonight. His velocity was up. He topped off at 95 MPH I think? He was consistently throwing 93 mph. I know the Nats suck, but he was impressive. He was straight up filthy tonight. This is the Brett Myers I want to see. IF he pitches like that the rest of the season the NL East is a shoe in.

9. Chris C

July 29, 2008 at 11:04 pm

In a perfect world, Myers would be “the best pitcher available” that he was supposed to be this offseason. I don’t think that is going to happen, but unless the front office gets their act together, thats all we can hope for.

I check this blog daily, but I have some travling to do for the next couple of days. So, next time I read the posts here, there better be something about a trade and a win streak. Anyting less, and I’m going to be worried.

10. Brian

July 29, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Would someone please drive over to Citizen’s Bank Park, grab the Phillies bats, the drive them down to DC by tomorrow night? Redding shells this team…we have to remember how to hit tomorrow.

I would do it myself but I live in Delaware so it is a bit of a drive for me…

11. Geoff

July 29, 2008 at 11:19 pm

with one of their two deals, i think theyll get someone out of nowhere. i look at so many of the guys out there and i dont see the phillies getting a bat and a bullpen arm out of the mainstream guys. the bat has to be the off the radar surprise move.

12. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:20 pm

I’d rather them get a pitcher because I’m still not happy with Blanton. I still bet you can trade Blanton.

13. Geoff

July 29, 2008 at 11:20 pm

they do need minimum two additions. bullpen arm, everyday outfield bat.

i dont even want to get into the starting pitching tonight

14. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:22 pm

The only guy worth getting is Halladay. Maybe they can get him in the offseason.

15. Geoff

July 29, 2008 at 11:23 pm

you will get nothing for blanton, even less than you gave up for him. it would be embarrassing. you cant get a guy and trade him a week later, this isnt hte nba.

16. Geoff

July 29, 2008 at 11:26 pm

yeah halladay would be nice, but i dont believe the eskin rumor. in that rumor, we have up happ plus the farm and they declined because fabio castro wasnt in the deal…whaaaaaaaaaaat????? that doesnt make any sense. sheets is gettable if they have any balls in the offseason.

17. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Well I would not get excited about Myers start it was like he was back down pitiching in the minors. So you can’t count on him to do this next start. To bad he can’t pitch against the Nats every start. Well Blanton should be fine as your #4/5 starter.

18. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:30 pm

Myers would have been very effective against the best of them tonight. His fastball velocity was up, and it had TONS of movement. His curveball was filthy. He threw strikes and got ahead of hitters. I thought his stuff was awesome.

19. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Phil I needed a good laugh tonight! “I thought his stuff was awesome”, Priceless!

20. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Phillies Suck, you obviously didn’t watch the game considering you’re a Muts fan. How would you know if you didn’t watch it?

21. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Phil, name me the Nations #3, 4, & 5 hitters in the lineup. You have 30 Seconds. Go.

22. OZ

July 29, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Sorry to be half-empty, but this is not what we wanted.

Now Happ doesn’t get a start, and instead, as a young guy gets his head messed up in the bullpen role. F**k! Myers will go belly-up against a legit offense. So, no, no credit here.

Possible bright side, teams getting desparate throw an offer at the Phils for Myers in the next 48 hours. Stranger things…..

23. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Yea, ok. Get my point?

24. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Wow, you’re timing me eventhough you don’t know how long it’s going to take me to read this. Zimmerman, Milldege? I don’t know the other guys name. Who cares though? He still pitched great. He woulda mowed down any offense. He mowed down the Reds earlier this year too. I can name their 3-4-5 guys though. Their 3-4-5 guys are good. Bruce-Phillips-Dunn in that game. I think now it’s Griffey-Phillips-Dunn

25. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Nations lineup:

1) Harris
    2) Belliard
    3) Zimmerman
    4) Kearns
    5) Flores
    6) Milledge
    7) LoDuca
    8) Lopez
    9) Pitcher

Phil, you are right after taking on these heavy hitters Myers would of beat anybody tonight.

26. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:44 pm

That line up tonight reminds me of the yankees!

27. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:45 pm

See, what you aren’t realizing is that whether or not it was a shitty line up or not, he still looked really good. Did you watch him pitch, no? How would you know what his stuff looked like? His fastball was up 5 mph. He had confidence. He had that swagger he was looking for. Myers is a really good pitcher who lost his confidence and was having trouble with his mechanics. He’s a headcase, much like AJ Burnett. Is he a bad pitcher too?

28. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:45 pm

And the Phillies only won 2-1? Where was th offense? Did they show up or was J-Blows late again?

29. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Why are you here anyway? Do you not have anything better to do? Are you banned on the Muts blog for being one of the dumbest Muts fans there is?

30. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:47 pm

No, J-Roll had 2 hits actually. The rest of the offense didn’t show up, but once again. Why do you care? A win is a win. How about all of those no runs the Muts don’t score to totally fuck over Johan Santana.

31. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:47 pm

OK, so he is throwing his fastball 80 mph now. His confidence must be HIGH after beating that lineup!

32. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:49 pm

He topped out at 95. Myers isn’t Jamie Moyer. Oh, but wait…Jamie Moyer at the age of 45 still shut down the Mets. Unfourtantely Romero didn’t.

33. Mark

July 29, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Great! I’ll take the win, but the Phillies offense MUST open up on the Nationals. I hope Utley is out of his funk!

34. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:50 pm

I am not saying Myers is terrible, I am saying you can’t rate is progress against a miner league lineup. Wait to see what he can do his next start as long as it is not against the Nats again.

35. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Then say that. That’s fine. The point I’m trying to make is that Myers did pitch well tonight. I even think he didn’t pitch half bad agains the Mets last week. He had trouble establishing his fastball in the 1st inning, but he settled in. He only allowed up 2 hits against them. I think Myers is coming back to form.

36. Phillies Suck

July 29, 2008 at 11:55 pm

We have a pither thats a headcase his name is Perez. He can be lights out in big games as you know. But in a game that to him, doesn’t mean much he will walk the ball park and give up 10 runs.

37. Phil

July 29, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Yeah, Myers is the Phillies version of Ollie.

38. Fran

July 30, 2008 at 12:03 am

Myers was excellent tonight. This is what us Phillies fans have been waiting for. Let happ pitch in the bullpen for a little while. If Myers can be just as dominant on Sunday the rest of the year is looking real good.

39. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:04 am

The suprise for the Mets this year is Pelfrey and I finally think its about time they have prospects in their rotation. And that should show Gillick that thats the way to go with Happ. Because the key to both teams making the post season could be Hamells/Moyer/Happ and Santana/Perez/Pelfrey for the Mets!

40. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 12:09 am

Any word on when Maine is going to be back?

41. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:13 am

I am worried about Maine he has a 9-6 but if you look at his last 7 starts it has not been great. So I do not know what is going to happen with him but the mets are lucky Pelfrey is pitching like the Maine of last year or else they would be in bad shape right now.

42. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:15 am

Maine will miss his next start.

43. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:18 am

When will they decide if they didn’t already to put Happ in the rotation? Or, are they going to trade him to Boston for Manny? That would be a mistake for the Phillies!

44. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 12:20 am

I have no idea what’s going on with Happ. They’re saying he’s going to be a lefty in the bullpen right now. I don’t know what else to do with him. Our rotation is pretty all over the place right now. They should have never traded for Blanton knowing Happ has good stuff.

45. Chase Mutley

July 30, 2008 at 12:22 am

PS, remember when you guys were thumping your chests after beating up on the Rockies and Giants? =D

46. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:26 am

Happ should get a chance in the rotation and it should of came against the nationals. If he can pitch well and they can win maybe the offense would wake up a little more.

47. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 12:29 am

I am beginning to have a theory that the offense only hits when the pitchers are pitching like shit.

48. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:32 am

They need to be consistant in the offense and they need to get a guy like Casey Blake who can play 1B, 3B & OF who can hit for average and power in that line up and playing 3 positions give you more flexability to rest some of your starters.

49. Paul

July 30, 2008 at 12:32 am

Well done Brett.

The thing is… we have seen that he can be this good. Hopefully he can keep it up.

50. Phillies Suck

July 30, 2008 at 12:38 am

Its too bad they did not go after Casey Blake when they could of thats the player that could help your offense. He plays 1B, 3B & OF. then you could rest some guys so hey don’t get tired.

Blake -2008 stats- 335 AB 49 RUNS, 98 HITS, 11 HRS, 58 RBI’S,
    .368 OBP, .469 SLG, .293 AVG.

He would of been perfect fit for the Phillies!

51. Greg V.

July 30, 2008 at 1:01 am

The Nats are terrible right now, so while I applaud Myers for his outing I take it with a grain of salt. Though sometimes that is what you need to get your head on straight. I raise my glass to the man.

52. Overlord

July 30, 2008 at 1:10 am

I’m loaded right now and I can even give myers credit. Hopefully he displays that kind of ability on sunday night infront of a national audience

53. that guy

July 30, 2008 at 2:11 am

Have to disagree with “myers would have shut down any offense tonight” That’s bullshit. This was against a lineup that had Jesus Flores batting in the 5 hole and myers was more like 90mph on the fastball not consistently 93-95. However, this team is probably as good as the Akron Aeros who blew Myers doors off a couple weeks ago, so there is something positive to take from this.

54. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 2:18 am

that guy he was consistently throwing 92-94 and topped out at 96.

55. justin

July 30, 2008 at 3:31 am

plenty of bad pitchers can throw heat

56. christopher

July 30, 2008 at 3:35 am

you guys are forgetting that the nationals ALWAYS play the phillies hard. despite the fact they are not a good team, for whatever reason they always get up when going against philly. so this myers start, while it might not seem like it was a big challenge, was actually an important one. he pitched very well, and a win is a win no matter what the team you’re against. if they can keep the momentum going and win the series or even sweep, i would be ecstatic. that’s exactly what this team needs right now.

57. justin

July 30, 2008 at 3:47 am

it seems the only teams the nationals play hard are other teams in the NL east. they probably have like a .150 win% against the rest of the league

58. fred

July 30, 2008 at 5:16 am

You can only get the hitters out you face. It’s not Myers fault the Nats suck, he did a good job against what was put against him.

59. Mike T.

July 30, 2008 at 6:38 am

Myers is such a bad pitcher and looked so horrible all year, that I am quite impressed with his outing last night. I don’t care who it’s against, Myers straight sucks, he’s terrible – and he got the win.

Now, the offense. Where are they?

60. Rick

July 30, 2008 at 8:11 am

I think the most encouraging thing from this start is that his fastball is back. Before he was sent down, his fastball was hovering around 89 and topping out at 91. I believe that was the main reason he was having so much trouble and likely it was due to mechanics (maybe not using his legs enough).

Last night he was consistently around 92-94 like Phil said. I didn’t notice what he topped out at but I only saw him throw one fastball below 90. That one was 87 in a 3-0 count when he knew the hitter was taking.

For Brett, being able to establish his fastball is crucial. He was also locating it well on both sides of the plate.

Facing the Nats definitely took some pressure off him and allowed him to pitch to his game-plan. Hopefully, this outing is something he can build on and his fastball remains up there.

61. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 8:20 am

Another thing too was that his fastball had TONS of movement. It was zipping all over the place, and he was making the Nats horrible hitters look even more bad on it. He pitched like the ace he is supposed to be. If you all remember the Nats beat the shit out of him on opening day, so it is obviously an improvement.

62. Brett Myers

July 30, 2008 at 8:52 am

I did my best and I get a bunch of, “its just the Nats”?If Kendrick did this shit then you guys would be all over his dick. But you dont know how he would’ve done because he hasn’t faced them this year.
    Boo? Fuck you.

63. rob

July 30, 2008 at 9:04 am

I was impressed by him using both the 4 seamer and 2 seamer. The 2 seem was flying and his curveball looked sharp. I know it is the NATS and all but his stuff looked really good. Hoepfully this will ttranslate sunday

64. mg52

July 30, 2008 at 11:51 am

Phil is right. The offense does need to step it up. I wonder if the players even study pitchers. They take the same pitches every time and seem mainly to hit pitchers who are familiar and who struggle. Rollins needs to get a grip. Moreover, Gillick needs to acquire, as I have said, a dynamic offensive player in the mold of the Rockies’ Willy Taveras. The latter two games of the weekend series saw a Phillies’ team fulfill its potential, but the concerning thing is that they have depended on the longball in the most recent two games. When the Phillies go to Saint Louis, that will not be adequate.
    Brett Myers did go up against a ragtag offense. But really: since the Nationals have been so bad, didn’t he do what was expected of him? There is no reason to be negative about a performance like that. He did leave some pitches up in the zone, but was able to escape unharmed because he had thrown quality strikes before those. And it is true that the weaklings of the league have been anything but against the Phils. Look at all the leads the Phils have blown or nearly blown in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Miami (although the Marlins this year will likely end up over five hundred this particular year). We will not know if he has truly made progress until Sunday is out, but this was by all accounts a strong outing.

65. KM

July 30, 2008 at 2:34 pm

i could have gone out there and shut down the nationals with my 78 mph heat.