Report: Rays Interested In Werth – Phillies Nation
Posts

Report: Rays Interested In Werth

According to Mike Tingle of ESPN 840 in Charlottesville, Va., (hat tip MLBTR), the Rays are going to scout Jayson Werth, saying he may be available if the deal is right.

It was reported earlier in the season the Phils asked about reliever Dan Wheeler. It’s possible the Rays could make either lefty Trever Miller (5.13 ERA) or lefty JP Howell (2.54 ERA) available in a trade. But I’d assume the Phils would need to get win-now value in return for Werth. (Unless the Phils are serious about getting Manny Ramirez, spinning Werth for prospects and trading away those or their own.)

And as expected, Greg Maddux said no to a trade to the Phils.

Click to comment

1. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Werth should only be available if they’re getting Manny.

2. Pete

July 30, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Yup, the thought of Jenkins playing everyday makes me cringe. Who are they trading for Manny in this scenario, though? It can’t be Burrell – leaving aside the Pat vs. Manny discussion, swapping the two still leaves them short an OF. Donald is possible if the Sox think he’s ready – they’ve been looking to cut bait on Lugo all year.

3. Griffin

July 30, 2008 at 1:00 pm

trading Werth would make Jenkins an everyday player and that’s a scary, scary prospect against LHP

4. Brian

July 30, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Wrth needs to stay

5. Brian

July 30, 2008 at 1:04 pm

*Werth

6. Chavez

July 30, 2008 at 1:10 pm

If they do trade Werth for prospects lets hope its to repackage them for another trade that would land an impact player that can help now.

7. Geoff

July 30, 2008 at 1:11 pm

see? thats YET ANOTHER way to approach things don. thats the way good general managers think. they think SEVERAL steps ahead of where therye at…..

8. Buffalophilsfan

July 30, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Don’t deal Werth. Jenkins is not an everyday player and I don’t want Manny anywhere near this team (did you see him run to first on a slow grounder to third last night in a no-hit game?? He makes Pat look like Vic!!) Granted, the guy can rake … but he is a cancer in the clubhouse. Plus the idea of Pat in left and Manny in right would make me have a heart attack every time the ball is hit into the air.

I feel the only deal the Phills will make is for Mahey of the Royals. This would help the bullpen immediately. They could then send Seanez to the DL to make room. They may look to pick up an extra bat after the deadline via the waiver wire … but let’s ride it out with this group. JRoll will turn it on, Myers looked solid last night and seems to be getting some of his swagger back and Utley, Burrell and Howard will benefit from being in a pennant race before. They have enough to get by the Muts (who will choke like normal), then the playoffs are a crapshoot on who is hot.

9. Richie Allen

July 30, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Boy I cringe thinking about this one..dont do it…even if they package those two guys for something else,this isnt good .I love the way Werth plays…

10. Rob

July 30, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I’m sick and tired of waiting already. Gillick will improve the team I have no doubt in my mind. You know-it-alls just need to chill and remember that if we were the astros… we’d be buying right now… HAHAHAHA (stupid ed wade and his stupid teammates that choke him out HAHAHA)

11. Rob

July 30, 2008 at 1:42 pm

whoops, i wrote teammates and meant to write players.

12. KM

July 30, 2008 at 1:47 pm

i do like jp howell, because he can also step in and be a starter if needed, but werth is a little more valuable right now, because jenkins blows monkey dong. i would only trade werth in a deal where we could get a better right fielder. like many other people who have commented this, the thought of jenkins as a full time starter makes me cringe.

here’s an interesting thought, since the mariners are ultimately trying to start from scratch, why don’t we try to pry away ichiro? i am sure it would cost us carrasco and others, but we would be getting a LEGITIMATE leadoff hitter with .300+ career batting average, speed for days, and outstanding defensive ability. by making that move, we could move werth back to the 4th outfield spot where i believe he is most valuable. werth could be used as a spot starter in center/right, and be used late in games as a pinch hitter and runner.

13. Geoff

July 30, 2008 at 1:53 pm

YES, the marlins are trying to get rhodes! let them take him off their hands.

14. philsphan

July 30, 2008 at 2:49 pm

I don’t think we can afford to lose Werth this year. Jenkins would always start? Or platoon with Bruntlett? I don’t like those options. Even if we traded Werth and got Manny, both Manny and Burrell could be gone in ’09 which would be really bad.

On the other hand, the Rays have a great farm system and lots of good young pitchers that could help the Phillies out. But I don’t see this deal happening since the Phillies are buyers right now, not sellers. The Rays will probably have to find a fit for a righty outfielder somewhere else.

15. Geoff

July 30, 2008 at 2:52 pm

I kind of think the rays are just trying to leverage the price of jason bay down because theyre heavy into those talks.

16. Don M

July 30, 2008 at 5:02 pm

YANKEES got Pudge Rodriguez from the Tigers for……. Kyle Farnsworth (He’s NASTY in mlb ’05 on ps2).

17. John G

July 30, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Not sure about trading Werth. No one is comfortable with Jenks everyday, and we have nothing else that is even worth mentioning for platooning. Maybe bring back Jim Eisenreich. This team is too good, and any trade has to CLEARLY improve the team and not hurt in the clubhouse. Ichiro would do that. I am not sure that Philly fans will accept Manny on defense and not running stuff out. That would be ugly. I am not buying a Werth jersey, but I am hoping he stays.

18. Rob

July 30, 2008 at 5:47 pm

time is ticking… 10 bucks says they do shit.

19. Phil

July 30, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Rob, I’d never take that bet because it’s sad but true.

20. John G

July 30, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Remember, every minute they dont make a deal, means they save that much in potential player salary. Even though they are 3 thousand over capacity everygame, I would hate for them to spend an extra 50 thousand and try to win. I think they make a minor deal at 250 pm. Maybe for Geoff Geary. That would be awful.

21. Alphonse Dattolo

July 30, 2008 at 10:48 pm

DON’T TRADE JASON WERTH! AND AS FOR MADDOX HE CAN GO TO HELL. WE DON’T WANT THAT CREEP ON OUR TEAM. WHO THE HELL IS HE TO SAY HE DOESN’T WANT TO COME TO PHILADELPHIA! THE PHILLIES ARE WINNERS AND MADDOX IS A BIG TIME LOSER!!!!!!

MY PHILLIES WILL BE THE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS! I HAVE BEEN A PHILLIES FAN FOR 48 YEARS.

22. Greg V.

July 31, 2008 at 9:58 am

Fuck Maddux! How’s that shit record of yours holding up motherfucker? Oooooooooh! I’m Greg Maddux and I just won my first game in 15 starts! Jesus Christ, when Adam Eaton has a better record than you, maybe that should be a sign that you way washed up! LOSER!

23. Kelly T

August 27, 2008 at 4:40 pm

NOOOOO! He’s really brought a lot of hustle to the team and has performed consistently to help the team. I’ve become a huge fan of his. Don’t trade Werth.