Posts

Take That L.A.: Rollins, Phillies Boot Dodgers

27-5.

That’s the score of the four-game series between the Phillies and Dodgers, a series almost completely owned by the Phils. They finished off the four-game sweep with a 5-0 win Monday night, setting up a giant two-game set with the Mets for first place in the National League East.

Let’s start with Jimmy Rollins, who broke out the bat and did much damage. He went 3-for-3 with a single, double and triple, and reached base all five times. He scored once and drove in two runs while busting the whole time for his hits. This is the Jimmy we’ve been waiting for, the Jimmy that we love cheering. Keep it going, Young.

The offense continued their fine play, and situational hitting was on full display. Rollins knocked his two-run single with two outs in the second inning; Jayson Werth deposited Ryan Howard on a single in the seventh. In all the Phils had 10 hits and took enough advantage of their chances. Sure they left 22 on — including eight left on by Pat Burrell — but across the board the offense resembled more of a fine-tuned machine, one capable of winning games on singles and doubles, not bombs.

And hey, at least the Phils weren’t the Dodgers, who left 32 men on base. Blue should leave Philadelphia pretty steamed with how they were unable to execute, and it’s definitely nice to see the shoe on someone else’s foot. But credit Brett Myers, who wasn’t dominant, but made huge pitches in tight situations. He induced two double plays, a few more groundouts and struck out nine, never letting up when runners reached base (12 of them). It’s truly amazing to see the Myers of May and June stacked up with the Myers of these last seven starts. He’s poised, gritty, confident in his pitches, and back to his old, bulldog self.

JC Romero (despite not being a good spot for him) pulled another Romero-esque outing, polishing off three hitters after letting the first two reach base. Clay Condrey had the same sort of inning in the ninth, and struck out Manny Ramirez in the process. By the way: Ramirez went 2-for-17 without an extra-base hit in the series, a far cry from the happy-go-lucky, new-haircut Manny of two weeks back. LA can have its Manny-do, we got the Victo-beard.

Associated Press photo

Click to comment

1. Matt

August 25, 2008 at 11:36 pm

im determined to grow out a victo-beard

2. Asphincter

August 25, 2008 at 11:37 pm

I’ll be there tomorrow. And I’ll be cheering. I would have been cheering if Young James put up an 0-fer tonight. Such a big series coming up, let’s get behind them! I wish we could somehow get EVERYONE there to do the whole campaign cheer. I know that if I cheer when something bad happens, everyone’s just gonna call me an asshole and tell me to sit down.

A side note- why is Scott Eyre making 3.8 mill? And how much of that are we paying?

3. Jimmy Rollins

August 25, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Frontrunners.

4. Tim Malcolm

August 25, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Mike Schmidt made some interesting comments about Philly fans on Baseball Tonight (they used the “greatest franchise players” segment to talk more about we fans … ugh). He said we’re the most passionate out there, and if you can’t get that, then you’re an idiot (basically).

Then John Kruk uncharacteristically took a shot at us, saying we didn’t appreciate Schmidt while he played here. Yeah, kinda true, but the whole no world championship ever thing was hanging out there. Schmidt happened to be the face of a franchise that wasn’t quite there yet.

Also, I should’ve mentioned Jayson Werth’s ridiculous hustle to get from second to home on a groundout. Just fantastic stuff.

5. Greg V.

August 25, 2008 at 11:58 pm

This is the team we’ve been waiting for. Pitching has been good and the hitting has been good. They won ball games the way they are supposed to win them. If they had been playing this well the past month, we’d be running away with the division right now. Next two games are essential. If the team of this weekend shows up, I have no worries whatsoever.

6. Sean M

August 26, 2008 at 12:05 am

2 Weeks ago, me and my father attended 2 of the games at Dodger Stadium, and left very concerned for the play of our Phils. But they are looking like they are getting it going. They seem to really pick it up around this time of year, let’s hope they keep it going! OUR SEASON DEPENDS UPON IT!!!

7. Nationals#1

August 26, 2008 at 12:28 am

Asphincter: i’ll be there tomorrow, and i’ll be cheering. i’m not ready to give up on jimmy. we fucking need jimmy and we shoud do everything we can to help him out. if he keeps this up and the offense keeps clicking like in this series and i wouldn’t be shocked to see us cruise past the mets in this stretch run.

8. TJ

August 26, 2008 at 12:29 am

Ill be there tomorrow as well, around three I think I’ll start up the grill in the linc parking lot.

9. J-Man

August 26, 2008 at 12:52 am

Great to see the Phils sweep this series…Man i wish the team we’ve seen the last 4 games can play like this the rest of the year.

10. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 1:59 am

I wonder if Brett Myers can win player of the month? That dude has been ridiculous so far.

11. Sam

August 26, 2008 at 2:29 am

@ Schmidt

I saw that interview too…it was a beautiful sentiment that he passed along on the air. I just wish it had come while Steve Phillips and all the other guys who have done the nationally televised games the last 3 days were running their mouths off about playing in philly. Schmidt mentioned how the crowds booed the umps when they didn’t feel they made the right call. That’s how baseball is on the east coast, where we live and die on each pitch.

Tonight’s game was good but I still say last night’s was the game of the series…the kind we’ve all seen the phillies lose many times this season, except you could practically feel their collective will and effort to win and they battled and they did. That inning with Romero picking off Pierre then striking out Kemp might be the best demonstration of what true pitching is that I have seen this season (although myers today also made excellent pitches when he had to).

12. Mark

August 26, 2008 at 4:07 am

Myers was clutch on Tuesday. 16 straight shut out innings. Dodgers can have their Manny 4-14 goat!!

13. the truth hurts

August 26, 2008 at 6:40 am

Brett Myers = juiced?

14. Mike T.

August 26, 2008 at 7:19 am

this is the season right here — tonight.

15. Tim Malcolm

August 26, 2008 at 8:01 am

I didn’t know juiced = locating your fastball.

16. Rick

August 26, 2008 at 8:08 am

Yeah seriously! It’s not like he went from throwing 89 to 97. His fastball is still hovering around 90. He’s just hitting his spots. The one strikeout where he just barely nibbled the inside corner was a perfect example. Quite frankly there should have been a second strikeout with the same exact pitch in another at-bat as well. I think they were both against Kent. The ump just didn’t give him the call that time so he went back to the curve and got him anyway.

17. the truth hurts

August 26, 2008 at 8:18 am

I’m only speculating. But the juice wouldn’t help a pitcher throw faster, anyway. It would help him be more durable, allow him to go longer into ballgames with higher pitch counts, and allow his body to stay as fresh in the 8th inning as he was in the 1st. Roger Clemens wasn’t throwing 98 in Houston when he was juicing, but he was still successful. I’m just saying, if we’re encouraged to speculate that Carlos Delgado and Fernando Tatis are juicing, then why should Brett Myers be immune to the conversation? If you want a witch hunt, you have to include even the witches on your own team. I doubt any of the 3 are juicing, or they would have been caught by now. I’m just bringing it up to be fair.

18. Greg V.

August 26, 2008 at 8:51 am

Why does the series with the Mets scare me? I’m not worried about Martinez vs. Moyer but Santana vs. Kendrick scares the crap out of me. I love Kendrick but he gets a bit shaky under pressure.

19. Bill

August 26, 2008 at 8:51 am

This series and especially last night game was exactly what we have all been waiting for. I just really want to believe that Jimmy Rollins and the offense have finally turned the page and that the rest of the season we will see the Phillies offense we know and love!

20. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 8:58 am

Myers is back. He can stick around for 3-4 more years if he is THIS type of pitcher now. bring in another 2/3 guy at the very least and youll have a good rotation next year. Whatever was wrong with him was mental and has been cured by the staff in AAA Lehigh. Far, Far away from Rich Dubee.

meanwhile, where did this outburst come from? jimmy rollins mustve drank a gallon of “juice” because he had energy last night. unlike, yknow, the entire season. shane victorino is still better than him at this point. lets not forget if you take out the MVP season rollins is like a .270 hitter most of the time. thats why he cant leadoff. they dont have a leadoff hitter because i actually like shane where he currently is being used in the lineup. very dangerous right there because he keeps rallies going. theyll have to go get a leadoff hitter in the offseason with rollins on the chopping block. for now they can get away with it in the national league though.

interesting series tonight.

21. Dennis

August 26, 2008 at 9:25 am

I’ll be there tonight too! I’ll be cheering my ass off but if this teams comes out with no heart and lets down against the Mets I will Booo! That’s what we do in Philly, it’s called passion. The fans will have come ready to cheer, I just hope the Phils come ready to play. Go Phils!

22. John Q.

August 26, 2008 at 9:27 am

I don’t think we’re going to win any of the games against the Mets. They are just a better team. If you break it down, they are better at catcher, shortstop, third base, centerfield and right field- and first base right now. Their starting pitching is better with Johan, Pelfrey and Perez. Their bullpen is obviously not as good but overall they are a better team with a smarter manager. I just don’t see the Phillies winning the division and I think it will be clear after tomorrow’s game.

23. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 9:41 am

i think youre holding hte mets in a little bit too high of a regard. this is almost the same situation as last year except the teams are closer in the standings. the mets are getting injuries and falling apart at the critical time again. their bullpen is more than a liability.

24. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 9:42 am

the critical game is tonight. moyer HAS to win this game because itll be hard to do a lot against santana.

25. PhilPhan

August 26, 2008 at 9:43 am

John Q. – That wasn’t a very compelling argument. That’s the kind of argument you do before the season starts when all you can do is speculate. Besides, Centerfield and Right Field are debatable – Leaving you with 3 positions better than ours.

The Mets haven’t played consistently well all season, how can you stand by them? Put it this way, if the Phillies could play as BAD as they did for July and August and still be only 2.0 game out before the dodgers series, what does that say about the Mets team? And now the Phils are clicking, watch out big guy. It’s gonna get roudy tonight in Philly….

26. PhilPhan

August 26, 2008 at 9:44 am

And Geoff, when you gonna stop ripping Dubee. The pitching has been sensational this year, period.

Ok off to AC I go to gamble. Have a good one fellas…

27. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 9:48 am

the mets catcher is a serviceable major league catcher, dont get carried away there. they are not better in right field. they are not better in centerfield, they are not better at shortstop even with rollins having a down season.

it doesnt really mean wphillies are better either at those positions, but it does mean that they are closer to being a wash then they are really of any great difference.

it comes down to the mets bullpen man.

28. Griffin

August 26, 2008 at 9:50 am

is Brian Schneider really better than Coste/Ruiz? Howard is better than Delgado.
    and remember that the Phillies bullpen has 3 guys (durbin, romero, lidge) who are better than anyone in the Muts pen.

I agree that the Muts are better, but it’s not like they’re in a totally different league than the Phils.

MUST win tonight.

29. Griffin

August 26, 2008 at 9:52 am

also, don’t forget about John Maine’s injury. That’s a big loss for them. El Duque is retiring so there’s no viable alternative in the minor leagues for them.

30. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 9:52 am

i have full confidence that the mets will fold at the critical time. it may not even be in this series. but rest assured they will too. dont forget, theyre a bunch of old overpaid primadonnas too. and theyre even older than the phillies are.

31. Griffin

August 26, 2008 at 9:53 am

woops, I just read that they’re bringing up their top prospect Jon Niese. He’s good, but will be thrown right into the fire.

32. Mike

August 26, 2008 at 10:00 am

In full disclosure. I am a philly fan. I know athletes personally who have “juiced’.
    Many players Juice during the off-season. That is why someone like J-Roll starts the season hot (remember last year Only A Rod had more HR’s through April).

It might explain why Utley had more hrs in april than may june july combined.

If J-Roll is feeling the “heat” and increased media attention.. that’s a compelling reason to juice during the season.. Risky but potentially very rewarding.

33. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 10:02 am

A-Rod has an IV of juice hooked up to him. I think hes beyond steroids. Hes probably on some really really advanced synthetic compound of hgh. he looks like genetically engineered.

34. that guy

August 26, 2008 at 10:10 am

If brett myers was on steroids, the side effects would have gotten him into severe trouble by now. When he had that argument with Cholly, a roided up Myers would have easily bit off Manuels ear. However, Fernando Tatis is absolutely injecting dinosaur growth roids directly in his forearms. We are talking about a guy with zero homeruns in his career of 2000 at bats. Then he washes ashore in Queens and hits 10 dingers in 11 at bats. I call bullshit. He must have inherited Paul Loduca’s old locker.

35. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 10:12 am

yeah tatis juiced theres no doubt about it. the guy is total trash.

36. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 10:28 am

A-Rod does not juice…Rollins may have which would explain his past 2 seasons. Utley did not juice.

37. John Q.

August 26, 2008 at 10:31 am

Geoff- “total trash?” Really? How do you know that? Do you know that Tatis came back to the league to get enough money to help his home town build a church? Do you know he is one of the most respected players in the league amongst the players because of the teammate he is? Have you seen him give up his spot in the lineup to Ryan Church without any whining? I wish we had Tatis. You can speculate all you want about roids, but lets be honest, there are many Phils who we could have done the same with. I won’t even go there.

How can anyone say that Victorino is better than Beltran? I won’t bother arguing that one. I can see the argument that right field is close but Church/Tatis is definetly no push over. I agree it comes down to the pen, which is what gives me hope. I just don’t think the Phils pen is that much better.

38. fred

August 26, 2008 at 10:33 am

I hate all this talk about steroids, it’s all total speculation with no foundation at all. Until someone is caught (or as good as i.e bonds) then they are clean. Let’s go phils, I can’t wait till september when me and my dad are coming over from england to watch the Phils at shea ! I think we sweep this series, Moyer is brilliant and too clever for the mutts. Kendrick worries me also, but the offence will smash Johan and prove that Hamels is #1 in the east

39. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 10:34 am

You don’t think the Phillies bullpen in that much better than the Mets bullpen???

…. and you expect anyone to take anything you say on here seriously?

40. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 10:39 am

Don M who was that written to?

41. Eb

August 26, 2008 at 10:39 am

Jon….I thought Neice was there closer prospect

42. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 10:42 am

i didnt say tatis was trash as a human, just trash as a baseball player without steroids.

carlos beltran is one of the most overrated players in baseball. itd be hard to argue that victorino is better, but hes noticeably worse with the way he has been playing the past few months.

i like kendrick, but i think next season he will have to improve to retain his spot in the rotation.

43. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 10:44 am

if shane victorino plays this well regularly and consistently THERE IS NO QUESTION shane is better. you must not have seen the new shane. if only he can be consistent all season like this.

44. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 10:44 am

it was written to John Q… “I just don’t think the Phils pen is that much better.”

45. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 10:46 am

Honestly, nobody knows who does or doesn’t take anything, HGH, steroids, other supplements, etc.. no point in arguing that somebody does it.

If I was playing baseball, and they didn’t check for it.. and i’d hit better, and thus make MILLIONS more dollars in my contracts… I probably would have juiced too.

46. Richie

August 26, 2008 at 10:47 am

Listen all I am saying is that I’m going to the game tonight with my “New York Mess The great collapse of 2007” shirt and will be drowning out those lowlife mut fans. Anybody else with me!! Let’s do this now!! Take this division once and for all!!!!

47. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 10:49 am

John Q is a Mets fan trying to start trouble. Don’t listen to him.

48. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 10:55 am

obvsiouly.. anyone that uses “we” and “us” and then talks about how the Mets are better at every position just doesn’t know baseball.

The two teams are pretty evenly matched.. right now the Mets pitching doesn’t look as strong as the Phillies.. but their hitting has been much more consistent.. its going to be a tight race for the rest of the year

49. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:03 am

wow, jimmy rollins had a great game last night, that really should boost his trade value for the offseason…

50. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 11:16 am

Jimmy Rollins proved last night exactly why you want HIM on your team.. his bat and his glove…

51. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:17 am

I think our rotation can match up with theirs.

HamelsOllie
    Blanton>Pedro(It’s ashame to say that because Pedro used to be incredible)
    Kendrick>whoever their #5 is.

Our bullpen blows theirs away.

Our pitching is all around much better than the Mets.

52. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:18 am

shane victorino has proven more valuable to me. jimmy had ONE good year. maybe two if youre being generous. the rest of his years really are not that impressive offensively.

53. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:23 am

Well, that time of the season has come once again. I would be excited, except that I am going to work and will miss tonight’s game. Good luck, though not too much 🙂

Oh, and Phil, I think the 5th starter for the Mets is Pelfrey, and believe me, he’s faring way better than Kendrick this season.

54. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:23 am

Wow…what ahppened to my comparison…it got messed up.

55. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:24 am

Pelfrey is not your #5…he’s your #2 now.

56. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:25 am

My comparison looked like this. Let’s see if it works now:

HamelsOllie
    Blanton>Pedro
    Kendrick>#5

57. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:26 am

Well, that being the case now, it’s going to most likely be Niese, who is doing spectacular in the minors. Hopefully, it’ll translate into big league success.

58. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:26 am

wtf is going on… it’s not working…

Hamels Ollie
    Blanton > Pedro
    Kendrick > #5

59. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:26 am

the key is maine being gone. without maine their pitching isnt really better. maine is the key ingredient for the mets. hes a decent number 2 when healthy.

60. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:27 am

ugh…whatever.

61. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:27 am

Phil, you still messed up on HamelsOllie. Was it supposed to be

Hamels

62. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:27 am

oliver perez is a lot like blanton: can dominate when on but isnt always on.

63. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:27 am

Santana-Pelfrey-Maine-Ollie is a great 1-2-3-4 punch but Maine is gone so their rotation is about as good as the Phillies.

64. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:29 am

It’s just not posting the way I want it to and I have no idea whynot. I’ll type out the >

65. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:29 am

It’s not letting me make lists. I think it’s the website.

66. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 11:31 am

Victorino has had impressive PARTS of this season… and if the only thing that you measure Rollins by is his offensive value, then #1 you are overlooking the most important aspect of a ShortStop…his defense.. and #2.. you are being pretty harsh on a 5’8″, 175lb guy that manages to play just about every single game since he’s been called up the big leagues

Victorino is becomming the spark-plug that Rollins was last year… that doesn’t mean you trade Rollins though..

67. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:32 am

I’d trade Rollins and bring up Donald in a heart beat.

68. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 11:32 am

Phil, whenever i use symbols like that it doesn’t let my comments go through

69. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:32 am

Thanks Don M. Let me make a test on something..

Hamels [ Santana

70. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:33 am

That worked…

Hamels [ Santana
    Myers = Pelfrey(now but not all season)
    Moyer ] Ollie
    Blanton ] Pedro
    Kendrick ] #5(we don’t know what their #5 is capable of.

71. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 11:36 am

If you bring up Donald.. your defense goes WAY down.. and suddenly you place that much more pressure on Howard, Utley, Victorino and Burrell…

What do you guys think you could even get for Rollins??

72. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:37 am

Disagree about Ollie. He’s turned it around greatly since the Jacket was booted out of town, being more consistent with his performances and not melting down so much. Moyer and Ollie are kinda even, with a slight edge going to Ollie (of course, that’s just me), especially the last game they went head to head.

73. fred

August 26, 2008 at 11:37 am

The mets rotation really isn’t that good without maine. Pedro has been crap most of the time, Santana is great i’ll give you that, but Perez is streaky and Pelfrey has had a good 3 game stretch but apart from that has struggled in a big way.

Hamels – Santana: adv. mets
    Myers – Pelfrey: adv phils
    Moyer – Perez: scratch
    Blanton – Pedro: scratch
    Kendrick – #5: adv. phils
    Bullpens: we all know the answer to that…

74. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:37 am

Rollins and a prospect or 2 to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp.

75. Richie Allen

August 26, 2008 at 11:39 am

Please… JRoll trade is not happenin,and
    John Q ..hit the road with your Met crap,the mets have no bullpen right now without Billy Wagner

76. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:40 am

Don M Offense trumps defense anyday. If your bat is htat much more productive than who cares about your defense. Why do you think Hanley still plays SS

77. Mark

August 26, 2008 at 11:40 am

Fred –do some research before you decide to make comments like you just did… Pelfrey started the season 2-7 since that time, the Mets have gone 14-3 in his last 15 starts. How is that struggling in a big way… Also Perez has been one of the most consistent and dominate pitchers in the NL over the last few months… look at the stats.

78. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:40 am

actually i think the target should be holliday, you use the rollins trade so that you can absorb the prospect loss itd take to get holliday.

for rollins you could get two A prospects. maybe a B prospect, and then some filler if there is any. thats a low-end estimate.

79. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:42 am

They should let Burrell walk, trade Howard and Rollins for prospects. Bring up Donald to play short. Sign Teixera and flip some of the prospects to get Holliday.

80. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:43 am

id exclude our top two prospects and tell colorado they can pick any 4 of the rest of them.

81. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:43 am

Yeah, I agree. Pelfrey and Ollie are nasty now. I still think Myers and Moyer can go head to head with them no problem though.

82. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:44 am

Yes, Pelfrey has struggled the beginning of the season. However, I think you are seeing the coming of age for the young guy in that he has been nothing short of outstanding, outside of a few small hiccups. Myers has improved, yes, but he’s been on a tear the last few games. If it goes any longer than that, then I’ll give the respect where it’s due.

83. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:45 am

i wish about tex, but they have just about a zero percent chance of that. ill bet he actually stays with the angels. thats why you can move burrell to first if you somehow move howard. and you move howard for nothing less than top notch young pitching. if you cant get that, then just hold onto him.

84. Mark

August 26, 2008 at 11:45 am

Myers did look very good last night – and as a Met fan I am always a litte weary with Moyer because the guy has just been a success his whole career nothing flashy but consistent…

I hope the Met can get some of that consistency from their pen down the stretch its going to be an extremly tight race.

85. Rick

August 26, 2008 at 11:46 am

so if they got Holliday, do they let burrell walk or try the 1B experiment and trade low-and-away K?

86. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:48 am

Trade low and away k.

87. Rick

August 26, 2008 at 11:48 am

How do the Mets recent bullpen acquisitions fare? Are they good or bad?

88. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

keep burrell. holliday is based oon the assumption dervied from rosenthals speculation that the phillies will move howard for pitching. burrell to first base, holliday in LF, vic in center, werth in right get a better backup outfiielder to give shane or werth rest every once in a while. i kind of think werth might be good enough to be a 2/3 guy and let someone else work in once in a while.

89. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

Suprisingly, Schoenweis has been having a good season, though he needs work on leaving inherited runners stranded. Ayala has been their best closer in that he hasn’t f***ed up yet (knock on wood). Smith is on-and-off, but most times on. Heilman sucks! Dirty sucks! Feliciano is starting to make me angry!

That’s it.

90. Mark

August 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

Ayala has been nasty… and not mention he has under a two ERA against Phils for his career. However its just one guy. The rest of the pen is so inconsistent. They will go 4 days of scoreless ball then break down in a bad way… Its been up and down… Al reyes is still in the minors and Stokes has become the long reliever and has been solid.

91. Richie Allen

August 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

Is this a Philly or Mets Blog?

92. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 11:56 am

Both!

93. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:57 am

I can’t believe the Mets fans are somewhat trying to stick up for their horrible bullpen. Heilman is worse than Mesa.

94. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 11:59 am

Phillies are interested in Kotsay. I’m down with that.

95. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Well, the Mets bullpen, overall, is bad. There’s no avoiding that. Doesn’t mean, though, that there is at least some specks of good amongst the pile of crap there.

96. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 12:07 pm

yeah im ok with kotsay for a month. if you decline arbitration to him you might be able to resign him to a cheap deal if he proves a worthy backup.

97. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I still can’t believe that people think you can get “top-notch young pitching” for Ryan Howard.

Good Pitching beat Good Hitting… so what team in their right mind is going to give up the kind of pitcher you would want.. for Ryan Howard?? It just doesn’t fit.

98. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 12:18 pm

anybody that quotes modern, key word modern, pro wrestling is a loser.

99. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 12:19 pm

meanwhile, the braves got hosed in that kotsay deal

100. Rich the Mets Fan

August 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm

TNA>WWE

101. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Tim, Brian: Spam alert.

102. Tim Malcolm

August 26, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Thanks, Geoff. We know who it is.

103. Nationals#1

August 26, 2008 at 12:32 pm

mark… how do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you say things ike that? How can the Mets be 14 and 3 in Pelfrey’s last 15 starts? 14 + 3 = 17. Did some of those starts count as double games? And what is a dominate pitcher? Do you mean dominant? “Look at the stats” is not a very strong argument either.

104. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Nationals are #1… in new ballparks this season!

105. John Cena

August 26, 2008 at 12:39 pm

its john cena what you guys doing tonight watching smackdown?

106. fred

August 26, 2008 at 12:41 pm

lol Don M, and well noticed nationals#1. Everyone knows wins and losses is a shit stat anyway. Theres one big difference between Myers and Pelfrey: Myers has a track record past this season. And that bullpen of yours stinks, even Condrey and Seanez would have a shot at closing in that mess.

107. Eb

August 26, 2008 at 12:41 pm

A Couple points

-I read a rumor somewhere that Pelfrey is getting Half Shutdown. In a sense only pitching once per 7 days. Do not know how true that is.

-I agree that Rollins has had a bad year, but many scouts dont think there is ANYTHING special about Donald. They see him as a Super-Sub.

-I still stand by trading Howard for prospects and then sending SOME of the prospects for Holliday. Not all of them because Holiday is a 1 year rental, no way our organization will cough up the dough for him.

-There is no excuse for Greg Golson not to be on this team. lets see the defense and who gives a damn about the strike outs he will be batting 8th at best

108. fred

August 26, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Golson would fit perfectly as Burrells late inning replacement and pinch runner, like Bourn 2.0.

109. Eb

August 26, 2008 at 12:46 pm

exactly Fred

110. Tim Malcolm

August 26, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Golson makes more sense than Taguchi.

The Mets said they’d like to limit Pelfrey because he’s pitching more innings than ever and can reach the dangerous +30, which means injury troubles are magnified.

111. John Q.

August 26, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Wow, this is my first time on this blog and I can’t believe how much you guys write in just a few hours. I can’t keep up. I’ll try to address most of the comments here: (1) I am a 52 year old Phillies fan who is embarassed by the drunk kids that ruin our reputation; (2) I am not a Mets fan; (3) Victorino is overrated. If you want to say he is better than Beltran based on Victorino’s recent hot streak, then you have to admit that Delgado is better than Howard. Try to see things impartially kids; (4) John Maine has struggled throughout the Mets recent run- losing him is not as bad as people make it out to be. Pelfrey has been scary and Perez is a big pitcher game with a 2 ERA in his last 10 starts. Johan is Johan and Pedro has experience. We match up with a 40+ year old pitcher, Joe Blanton (not that good), Myers (history of being emotionally unstable and unreliable), Kendrick and Hamels. I just don’t think we match up. Nothing wrong with being honest, kids; (5) the Phillies bullpen is better than the Mets but lets be honest, they haven’t been that bad this year against the Phils. With the exception of one game, the Mets bullpen has been solid against us- which may be why they have our number in 2008; (6) please don’t embarrass Philly by boing, fighting, cursing and acting obnoxious tonight. I’m not saying Shea is any better but we definetely have a reputation now and the vibe I am getting from this board (anger, hostility, etc) leads me to believe tonight could be another embarrassing night for older fans like myself.

112. fred

August 26, 2008 at 1:19 pm

The mets are in a sticky situation right now, because they need pelfrey to compete otherwise they have no #4 or #5. But if they don’t shut him down then he oculd be ruined long term.

113. jay

August 26, 2008 at 1:20 pm

sorry but theres no way philly getting texeira way to much money either hes going to the yankees,mets,or the angels would resign him

114. christopher

August 26, 2008 at 1:25 pm

the only area that the mets are clearly better than the phillies is 3B. there are other spots you can make arguments for but none that are hands down better like wright over feliz. pelfrey is a mouth guard wearing goober and i think he’s going to come back down to earth with some bad starts soon. at the same time i don’t think myers can keep this level of pitching up much longer, but i do think he’ll be able to keep them in games the rest of the season (which is much better than he did in the first half). pelfrey is the type of pitcher who will either shut a team down or get rocked, and he’s due to start getting rocked again.

these will be two very interesting games against the mets, they key will be to keep the momentum from the dodgers series rolling right into this one.

115. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 1:26 pm

well…jarrod washburn is still out there, if the mets are willing to pay the WHOLE rest of his contract because seattle is playing hardball. good luck with that one…

116. fred

August 26, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Phillies fans will always have a bad rep in the media. If we boo it’s highlighted 10 times more than it is in new york. And whats wrong with Moyer being 40+ ? Hasn’t affected him so far, so why now. He’s pitching better atm than he has for a few years now. Delgado is better than Howard yes, as Beltran is over Victorino. But the gap in each case is small, and elswhee we are far better (2B, LF, RF) and equal at SS, C and a fair way behind at 3B although Feliz is not too bad at the hot corner. I’d take Myers over any of their starters bar Santana any day of the week, he’s the pitcher now that he was 2 years ago, the one with a 3.50 ERA and the ability to throw a CG every time out. And Our pen is FAR superior to theres, just cos they’ve been ok against us dosn’t mean they will be this time, alot has changed since we last played the mets. Wagners down, and everyone else has regressed. They’re signing every down and out available, and promoting any rookie they can find. The last desperate acts of a desperate team before they are overtaken for good.

117. christopher

August 26, 2008 at 1:29 pm

also i keep seeing mentions of victorino just heating up recently- are you kidding me? vic has had two small slumps this season, one of which was after he was returning from injury and probably not 100% yet. if anything he’s been one of the top 3 most consistent hitters on the team all season long.

118. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 1:31 pm

you guys are kidding yourselves man. jimmy rollins is auditioning for a role with the angels or dodgers next year. maybe the giants, maybe the diamondbacks. i guarantee that he will not be here next year.

119. fred

August 26, 2008 at 1:33 pm

If the Phillies season ends well (LCS appearence or better) Rollins will stay. If not, he’ll go for pitching.

120. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 1:34 pm

i agree fred. but im pretty sure they wont get that far, hence…

though i wish they would get that far and force me to admit im wrong. that would mean more postseason baseball than last year.

121. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 1:37 pm

although. if the cubs win their division the matchups will be:

phillies vs brewers
    cubs vs diamondbacks (rematch from last year)

interesting…i dont know man. that one-two punch is awesome in milwaukee. IF sabathia chokes again in the playoffs then we have a chance, otherwise we really dont have much of a chance.

122. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 1:38 pm

if the mets miss the playoffs..do you think they blow up that team? theyve got a lot of old trash on there. theyd have to keep like 5 guys and get rid of the rest of them and sign free agents to sellout their new ballpark.

123. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Wright
    Reyes
    Santana
    Maine
    Ollie(maybe)
    Pelfrey

That’s all that’s worth keeping around.

124. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 1:43 pm

yeah id have to agree with that. theyd keep perez unless they splash on ben sheets (watch, ill bet the mets make a VERY VERY VERY strong play for ben sheets, gut feeling). i heard the mets were trying to trade for carlos silva and are going to go after him for the back end of their rotation next year. AHAHAHAHA, by all means, go ahead and take silva off their hands. NOONE should let the mariners off the hook for that contract. he should rot there until his deal is up.

125. Mark

August 26, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Nationals #1 – Touche on calling me out on the math. Also I did not know I needed to have perfect spelling to get a point across… You just keep rooting for the nationals and have fun doing it (you might be the only one).

126. fred

August 26, 2008 at 1:50 pm

I think if the Mutts miss the playoffs Miniya gets the boot. He’s had alot of time and money to work with, and what have they achieved under him ? 2006 was their time and Wagner blew it for them. I think we could compete with the brewers IF we’re firing on all cylinders offensively, and Hamels is at his best. I really don’t know where this season is heading, sometimes we’re amazing but at other times we look like the Nationals/Pirates. At least we’re unpredictable.

127. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 1:56 pm

damm, look at that!! philly fans already putting their NLDS preview with them on top…Pretty cool, better hope that shit doesnt bite you in the ass….
    Be more concern with whats in front of you, and dont even talk october yet…shitface
    LETS GO METS!!!!
    Delgado vs Howard….hmmmm lets go delgado on this one, he owns moyer
    I like Utley, so i give you that one
    Reyes vs Rollins…Cmon, we wont even go there…
    Wright vs one day i would like to consider myself really good feliz
    Burell vs one of the rookies…I’ll give to you guys
    Beltran vs Mini Me-I’ll give that one to Beltran, even though Mini Me has a lil spunk in him, he cant tie beltrans shoes
    Wirth vs Tatis-I’ll give that to you guys just cuz i feel bad for you guys already…

Martinez vs Moyer- should be an okay matchup
    Santana vs Kendrik-should not be an okay matchup for you guys..

128. fred

August 26, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Rollinsright, you missed the bullpen comparison

129. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 2:02 pm

oh ill give you that one, everyone knows our bullpen sucks…but first you have to get to the bullpen….with martinez, we might go to the bullpen…if santana is on, and pitch count is low, then he’s going nine…but everyone knows our bullpen is suspect, ILL EVEN ADMIT TO THAT.

130. Darren Daulton

August 26, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Geoff, dude! Seriously Goeofforey, when are you going to start using a J? I mean, come on man. For now on, I am calling you Guiseppe, after the infamous Guiseppe Franco.

I just came back from one of my future vacations and I was able to glance at who is coming back next year.

Phillies: Rollins is gone. He plays for the Red Sox in 09. He was batting .193 over 82 games before being replaced by a prospect. Howard is still there. He has 205 strikeouts in 210 at bats. Charlie Manual still refuses to sit him. Utley comes out of the closet after being caught on camera with Burrell during a series with the Braves (Burrell’s new team). Victorino is batting .122 with 10 errors and many loud boos (funny, he used to be the darling). Moyer’s grandson replaces him in the rotation. Hamels blows out his elbow. Blanton needs a XXXXL but is the best pitcher with 5 wins at the break. Oh and Philadlephia still leads the nation is the worst place to live.

Mets: 81-0. Everyone comes back to defend their rings.

131. fred

August 26, 2008 at 2:13 pm

With Martinez you MIGHT go to the pen ? It’s a fucking guaruntee ! Only Santana and Pelfrey go 9 for you, and that’s gonna change now that the Mutts have started watching his pitch counts. Against good offences (such as Philly) starters rarely go 9, so just cos Pelfrey pitched CG’s against Houston and Atlanta dosn’t mean he will against decent offences. His CG the other night he gave up 3 runs anyway so that shows how desperate you are to not go to the pen that a guy isn’t all that dominant, is a kid and you still run him out for all 9 ?

132. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 2:21 pm

whats offences? and now you guys are “a good offense” when the past few weeks you guys were talking shit about the offense….SEE WHAT I MEAN…Complete Front Runners!!! and why are you talking shit about pelfrey?? what does he have to do with this series?? last i checked he actually has a better record then YOUR ACE..and almost as an identical ERA….and thats your ace…Pelfrey is our number three…DUMMY….and use spell check next time you respond.

133. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 2:25 pm

and if im not mistaken, hamels two complete games came…1 aginast the same brave team that hamels shutdown, and the fucking wack ass reds…The Astros are way better then the reds….lmao….i cant believe you guys.

134. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 2:26 pm

correction … “same brave team that pelfrey shutdown”

135. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Uh…Hamels has a 3.20 ERA Pelfrey has a 3.70 ERA. Moyer has a 3.54 ERA which is better than Pelfrey. Stop saying stupid shit. When we say the Phillies offense is bad we just mean it’s underperforming. We all know their offense isn’t bad. Pelfrey pitched a 3 run CG Hamels pitched a 0 run CG with Teixera in the line up.

136. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 2:44 pm

stop saying stupid shit?? okay being you want to add Moyer to the Mix..(why, I have no clue) but ill guess i play that game too…SANTANA HAS A 2.64 ERA….try to top that one….

137. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 2:49 pm

and trust me, moyer’s ERA will go up after tonight. : )

138. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Oh, considering Moyer owns the MEts with his 2.85 career ERA against the Mets? We weren’t talking about Santana we were talking about Pelfrey you troll piece of shit. The Phils have the 3rd best ERA for their whole pitching staff in the NL. Looks like that isn’t happening for the Muts with that trash bullpen.

139. Richie Allen

August 26, 2008 at 3:01 pm

“Good ol Darren Daulton “,welcome back buddy..where have you been….Now everything is clear again

140. fred

August 26, 2008 at 3:03 pm

The reds offence not as good as the astros ?!?! Votto, Bruce, Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, Encarnacion. That’s some pretty nice hitters there. Also, Hamels does his work in a hitters ballpark, not at shit hole Shea. And win loss record dosn’t mean shit, get a life and stop trolling phillies boards.

141. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 3:04 pm

you know what i will let the games do all the talking fishface… if the fags, i mean phills win, i will give you guys props, if they lose, i will give you fags hell….Troll…..lolol…thats funny though…FAGGOT

142. Geoff

August 26, 2008 at 3:06 pm

yeah but dude, like everyother mets troll on here, if the mets lose we wont hear from you until the next time they beat the phillies. you give the 3 mature mets fans on here a bad name.

143. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 3:07 pm

what did i tell you about using spell check….its OFFENSE!!! WTF is a damm Offence?? lmao….you guys are dumb..

144. rollinsright!!

August 26, 2008 at 3:20 pm

and your supposed to be giving every Philly fan here a good name by calling The Mets Mutts, and their Fans Trolls….dude, trust me. If i really wanted to have a decent discusion about the Mets and Phillies I would. How do you expect me to react when you guys attack my squad, and my fellow fans…im not one of these herbs that keep their mouth shut…you disrespect me, im getting at you double the dosage….

145. Phil

August 26, 2008 at 3:53 pm

1st of all you can spell offense offence. It’s like spelling color colour. So offence isn’t incorrect. 2nd of all it’s not like the Mets on their metsblog.com aren’t sitting around attacking the Phillies. The only difference is that we’re not over there trolling your board up. You are obviously the dumb one. lmao…who says that besides someone that is a dumb ass. Do you have anything better to do than troll a Phillies board?

146. that guy

August 26, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Rollinsright just lost a game of soggy biscuit to tyler and now he has to do his bidding. I also don’t know which is worse…..criticizing others spelling or admitting to using spellcheck to talk about baseball. Also, I’m quite sure that you would eat sushi off of David Wright’s perineum

147. Richie Allen

August 26, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Excuse me rollinsright,what exactly is a herb?

148. Lewisauce

August 26, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Rollinsright: why are you beating people up for their spelling when your grammar and punctuation are awful?

Why does every Mets troll open up their salvos with homophobic insults? Rollinsright, do you not have anything more intelligent to say? Or are you so closeted yourself that you overcompensate by putting on a false “I hate fags” front?

Man, I feel bad for the intelligent Mets fans.