3=W: The Phillies Will Win It Tonight

Here’s your positive post, Nation.

It’s the bottom of the sixth inning, and the Phillies are tied 2-2 in the fifth game of the World Series with a 3-1 lead. They’re at home, the weather is fair, and the crowd will be pumped.

Seriously, it’s in the bag.

Monday night should’ve been the wild party throughout the Delaware Valley we’ve waited 25 years to throw. The weather derailed that party for a short time, but here we are, pretty much in the same place we started, but in fact, in better shape.

The Phillies bring forth the best bullpen in Major League Baseball, from bell to bell. They have three more outs to play with than the Rays. The top of the order will get two turns, while the Rays could only see one with their big bats. Factor in the home crowd and already strong lead in the series, and guys, we’re looking very, very good.

This is the night: October 29, 2008. I’ve seen this team do its job all season long. They’ve come out, focused, determined, steadfast. And they’ve won. Now they have 3.5 innings to play. Trust me on this one: The focus is there, this team is ready, and I swear, the Phillies are winning the world championship tonight.

It’s in the damn bag.

1. Brian Michael

October 29, 2008 at 11:49 am

2. Robbi P

October 29, 2008 at 11:52 am

I hope your right Tim, I want this new era of good feelings philly style to begin! i will paint my body red and streak through philly if they can accomplish there task!

3. O'Neill

October 29, 2008 at 11:54 am

way to jinx the team

4. Richie

October 29, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Screw all of that Jinx talk!! Your right Tim!! Let’s send this team home, they are spent!! This is our year!! Our time!!

Yeeeeaaaa!! Letttsss Gooooooo Philllllllllsssss!!

This city is going to erupt!

5. Kevin Arnold

October 29, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Lets go phillies lets go. Not be off subject but I work here at down town willimington in the Dupont (hotel) building (where the rays are staying) and we a crowd of about 30 standing on the cornor getting cars to honk there horns for The Phillies. These people are going nuts. I am on the fth floor, on the other end of the street and I can hear them clear as day!!! I love Phillies Phans!!!!! LETS GO PHILIES LETS GO!!!

6. Eamonn

October 29, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I guess you can’t win either way. You got blasted for the negative nancy post this morning and now you’re being called a jinx for the positive post. For me, I’m totally on board the positive train now. All points made are totally valid and the phils celebrate tonight!!

7. Gabriel

October 29, 2008 at 12:10 pm

whoo!! i get two games for the price of one!! if anyone has standing room, i’ll be in 306, i can text you if there are any empty seats nearby!

8. Matt S

October 29, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Tim, Thats what I’m talking about….Lets do this Sh*t

9. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 29, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Oh, right. Jynx. Because what Tim writes on a blog can affect the outcome of the game. C’mon!

Jynxes exist in clubhouses, because the wrong thing said at the wrong time can bore into a player’s subconscious and affect what he does on the field. Blogs can’t affect games; no matter how much we might joke about being in the right chair and drinking the right beer, we all know it’s true.

The Phils are the better team; four and a half games have proven that. If it weren’t for the spinelessness of Selig and his Sneakybastard® approach to running MLB they’d probably be starting the top of the sixth up a run. They’re the better team, and while things have been mishandled, all of our complaints don’t really amount to a credible argument that anyone is trying to stack the deck against us. The better team is going to win this thing – probably tonight.

10. Bethany

October 29, 2008 at 12:13 pm

3 innings, not 3.5. We won’t need the bottom of the ninth.

11. Pingback: “It’s in the bag”??? Don’t jinx it, dude. » A Couple Things » A couple things about politics, sports, travel, and other stuff.

12. Mike T.

October 29, 2008 at 12:23 pm

the phillies will definitely win the world series tonight, but it sucks that it’s going to be low-budget and less dramatic. i hate it.

13. Gabriel

October 29, 2008 at 12:27 pm

wait wait wait, you just said ‘i hate it’ referring to the phillies winning the fall classic! i see your point on the other stuff but… WHO GIVES A DUECE??? THE PHILS MIGHT WIN THE WORLD SERIES TONIGHT!!!! be happy! less dramatic to who? fox? baseball fans? PHILADELPHIANS??? come on mikey! you’re a phan! phils can win it no need think anything about that ‘sucks’!

14. Scholar in Training

October 29, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Mike, it won’t be less dramatic. The anticipation is building…

15. Mike T.

October 29, 2008 at 12:30 pm

it sucks because i was with 20 friends at a great local bar (bishops collar) on monday night. one friend randomly flew in from texas monday morning, and several others drove over an hour just to get there. it was all set up, it was perfect. now… it’s not perfect. it’s damaged goods. it’s a world series, and it’s great and it’s going to be amazing soaking this up for the next 365 days, but for me, it’s more important experiencing this moment with great friends and family, and i cannot re-create the atmosphere of monday night. that’s why i hate it.

October 29, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Holy Sh** This is way too positive… I’ll just be cautiously optimistic for now!! BUT THE PHILS BETTER WIN THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Frank Fury

October 29, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I feel the Phillies will score 4 runs tonight. Use Madson, J.C., & Lidge and win the game 6-2. All 4 runs come in the bottom of the 6th.

18. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Manny, you’re ususally the very positive one on here…..What’s going on?

19. Don M

October 29, 2008 at 12:42 pm

The Phillies WILL win tonight because… A win tonight is the only possible way that I will be able to see the victory parade!

Wedding on Saturday, leave for Acapulco on Monday morning…

So a win tonight would have me celebrating on Friday!!!

Geoff Jenkins leadoff double, Rollins with a sac, Jayson Werth line drive right back up the middle puts the Phillies up 3-2.. and that’s all she wrote!!!

20. Amen!!

October 29, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Great post! I’ve waited so long for this moment – I can’t contain myself or even get a full sentence out when speaking of it. Our year, our day has finally come.

21. Gabriel

October 29, 2008 at 12:53 pm

hey, did Phil change his name to Amen!!?

22. erik

October 29, 2008 at 12:53 pm

lets take this thing tonight, i cannot think of a better friday than halloween with a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PARADE, walking around broad street with a heineken personal keg in a back pack. LETS GO PHILS

23. Paul

October 29, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Go Phils! How about a nice 5 spot in the 6th, and then crusie to the finish!

24. Jason B

October 29, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I hpe it’s in the damn bag. Because of that bumbling fool, the one that first destroyed a franchise(the brewers), and now is destroying MLB, I am going to lose my job. I have to work tonight, and it’s a no-brainer. i have to be at the game. However, i am on attendence probation already because of the playoffs, and now, I will get fired. And my wife is so mad, she might divorce me. But honestly, none of that matters as long as I am drinking champagne on Broad Street tonight. It’s in the Damn bag? It’s in the Damn bag!!!!

October 29, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Chuck: I’m very positive, but you know, the fact that this might be IT, just scares the sh*t out of me!!! I won’t say “it’s in the bag” until it’s really 100% in the bag, final out is recorded even if we’re winning 100-2.

But man I’m pumped as hell!! GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!

26. NJ (Ya Gotta Believe!)

October 29, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Buster Olney’s calling Jenkins vs Balfour then the Rays going to Miller before a pitch has been thrown. He re-iterates though Maddon will try to keep Balfour in the game with Werth due up having lead the majors in homers of LHP.

27. dan

October 29, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Jason, thank god I’m not married yet and will only have to skip English to get to Chickie and Pete’s. GOOOOOOOOOOOO PHILSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

28. Gabriel

October 29, 2008 at 1:06 pm

wow jason b… nothing but admiration from me brotha

29. bull

October 29, 2008 at 1:09 pm

This is where the phils bullpen and the NL rules come to favor us. Maddon will lose balfour then burn howell or miller on the 2 lefties and then bring in probably bradford to face werth…then need another lefty for utley and howard. It will be huge if we can get utley and howard to the plate in the 6th with the pitcher spot for the rays batting 4th in the 7th. Maddon would be crazy not to pinch hit for the pitcher and then he burns another pitcher, that is possibly 4 pithcers burned in 1 inning.

30. NJ (Ya Gotta Believe!)

October 29, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Jason you’ll probably see your boss out celebrating as well

October 29, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Is it still raining in Philadelphia??

32. Pingback: A Couple Things

33. Jason B

October 29, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Thanks Everybody… Anybody got an extra couch to sleep on????
    GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Pingback: World Series - How’s the Weather?

35. phlorida

October 29, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I live in phlorida, gainesville to be exact. I have tickets to game 6 in tampa, and I pray that I dont get to use them. I would like to see another game, yes but i would much rather see the phillies win at home, where they belong and where I know the people deserve it.

36. MP

October 29, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Listen, for everyone saying tonight won’t be perfect and Monday night was. It wasn’t our night. When I left McDoodle’s on Monday night I was in a good mood, ready to come back when the game resumed. The next day, I couldn’t help but feel like Bud Selig really screwed us. Then it snowed. A lot all day here in Bucks. And I was pissed. Today I woke up dreaming of a championship – nothing specific – but that we would be champions before the day was over. Did I loose so of the momentum I had Monday? Defineitely. But then I thought, what happened Monday was kind of a blessing. Sure it made our 28 year wait 2 days longer, but hey God gave us an extra night of rest so we are fully ready for this party tonight – 28 years and 2 days in the making.

October 29, 2008 at 2:16 pm

I never told anyone about this but the night before Monday’s game I had dream. It was a Phillies game, Hamels on the mound… and it was extremely loud and something BIG happened in the middle of the game. I can’t tell what it was but I felt really excited and happy.

After so much BS, I figured the BIG thing was the rain. The happy feeling is due up next.

38. RK

October 29, 2008 at 2:17 pm

MP technically it is 28 years and 7 days

39. Georgie

October 29, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Jason B, I hear ya, my husband has just about had it, if this isn’t over soon, I too may be looking for a spare couch.

40. Philsin5Puddles

October 29, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Can anyone explain to me why they feel the integrity of this game is lost? If this was a 2hr rain delay, would it be different? So it is a continuation of the other day, big deal. At first i was mad about the suspension but then I thought about it more and realized that THIS is when it was supposed to happen. I dont blame Bud Selig for anything. The game wouldve been suspended regardless of when he chose to. It is mother nature’s way of saying we have to wait a little bit longer. We waited this long, what’s a few more days right? WHO’S WITH ME??

41. Georgie

October 29, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Yep, same here. Monday night and most of yesterday I was livid, but then I started thinking about this whole season and how it was up and down, never easy. Why should the post season be any different? This team has been through a lot together, and I just don’t see this delay doing anything but making them stronger.

42. Philsin5Puddles

October 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm

All i ask is that FOX do not show that stupid DIRECTV commercial AGAIN. It seems like it is on every single break. THIS IS CRAZY, THIS IS CRAZY, THIS IS CRAZY!

Then again, if they play it and it helps the Phils win, then so be it!

43. Scheity

October 29, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Haven’t we learned anything? Didn’t we watch the Yankees-Sox series in ’04?

Go Phils.

This is not in the bag. Think humble thoughts, my babies.

44. Geoff

October 29, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Forget about all the Philadelphia-born insecurities of the past. This time its different. Tonight is their night. Theyre going to win tonight. Thats it. PERIOD. This is The Phillies’ time. Right now, tonight……

45. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 3:44 pm

New Year….
    New Decade….
    New Millenium….
    NEW ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Forgot New Century…..but you get the drift…

47. Clare

October 29, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Mike T, you live in Fairmount? I live like 3 blocks away from the Bishop’s Collar!!

48. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 29, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Does anybody else think Georgie and Jason B. sound like a match made in heaven?

49. Frank Fury

October 29, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Ryan Madson will start the 7th !!!
    Let’s Go Phillies !!!