Crowd Making Impact On Games

When Shane Victorino hit his grand slam last night, Citizens Bank Park erupted with its loudest cheer yet. Victorino summed it up in one word:

“Excitement. It was just the excitement in the air.”

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel columnist Michael Hunt compared the crowd to the 1988 World Series:

You should’ve heard the record crowd of 46,208 at Citizens Bank Park. They were screaming as if it were Kirk Gibson against Dennis Eckersley.

I was in the crowd last night, and it was the most deafening crowd experience of my life. Without a doubt, there’s nothing fans love more than an effort, and Myers put his working boots on. Once he worked the crowd to 2-and-2, we took off. Each roar built on from the last. By the time Myers worked a full count, we were creating a wave of white while blasting our voices higher than ever. Myers’ legendary at bat should fall into Phillie lure, and some of that is due to the crowd.

I do believe we helped to unravel Sabathia, and once Victorino homered, our cause had been rewarded. It’s funny how baseball works. Funny how a succession of moments can play out. If you have a screaming, nutty band of thousands behind you to provide the soundtrack, it’s usually a grand succession. It sure was last night.

1. Jim

October 3, 2008 at 12:41 pm

The crowd has been electric. It’s funny, brewers fans give us crap for waving rally towels saying “How is that going to help?” Truth is, aside from setting the atmosphere, its a lot of fun! I can only imagine how it must feel being out there knowing 45000+ people are rooting for you know and know how it must likewise feel ot have them rooting against you.

Also, you guys should check out Victorino’s blog, thats where the quote from this article came. He is very humble about his grand slam last night, I love it.

And of course, to reel in the misery of others, check out Ryan Braun’s blog.

2. Don M

October 3, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Great Summary Tim!!! and not to be Debbie-Downer… but think about how the opposite is true too….. all the booing and stuff that goes on really can take the energy out of the players the same way all that cheering can pump them up!!

That was definitely the loudest crowd I’ve ever been a part of… louder than Flyers, Eagles, and PennState games… it was something I will seriously never forget… and it was only a game#2 of the NLDS… I hope to god I get a chance to go again if they advance..

3. CT

October 3, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Tim, I think you mean “Phillies lore” not “Phillies lure”… unless you’re saying Myers’ AB is something we can catch fish with 😛

4. A.J. Delaware

October 3, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Maybe I am missing something, but why isn’t ESPN giving the phillies any love for the past 2 games. The article on the front page of the site today isn’t about how well the phils played, but how bad CC pitched, with a few foot notes to Myers and Victorino. Whats with the bias?

5. Don M

October 3, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Honestly.. I could care less… they’d rather talk about Booing Santa Claus and stuff whenever they talk about Philadelphia… they were all picking the Cubs to win the NL …up until they lost game 1, and then they switched it to how great Manny is.. and whatever. I could care less.. I hope its the Phillies-Rays in the World Series, and we’ll get to see teams loaded with guys that play hard instead of Manny vs Ortiz or anything drama-filled like that

6. Chutley

October 3, 2008 at 1:00 pm

CT…… is called a TYPO…. give em’ a break. He writes ten articles a day I think he can make on mistake. Keep em’ coming TIM. Go Phils

7. Chutley

October 3, 2008 at 1:00 pm

oh sorry it’s

8. ryan

October 3, 2008 at 1:16 pm

i have no doubt in my mind that the crowd absolutely influenced sabathia in that already legendary myers AB where he walked. he was shook. and you could tell

9. Julie

October 3, 2008 at 1:26 pm

I mentioned the crowd factor the other day, but I had no idea it would be this influential… People forget about how much pure emotion influences the game in playoff baseball. I’d even argue that controlling emotions is right up there with talent for the playoffs. Would CC pitch 100 pitches in less than 4 innings in the regular season? The Cubs make 4 errors? Possible but not likely.

I love it. There’s only one October! Go Phils!!!

10. Eb

October 3, 2008 at 1:38 pm

When it comes to Baseball if it does not have to do with NY or Boston. ESPN DOES NOT CARE. COLE COULD WIN 30 GAMES IN A SEASON AND ESPN HEADLINE WOULD BE “Mets dont make playoffs again”

Then you would get the moron that is Stuart Scott make some stupid comment

11. Don M

October 3, 2008 at 1:43 pm

BOO-YAH… !!!! Eb, you got something against annoying announcers with lazy eyes?? You’re a hater for sho..

The only things I watch on ESPN are PTI, and Baseball Tonight.. the rest of it is junk in my opinion, and Baseball Tonight isn’t as good as it used to be cause now they have like a 30-man rotation with guys I’ve never heard of telling me how great the Diamondbacks, Tigers, and Yankees were going to be this season

12. Dennis

October 3, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Can we just talk about the Phillies and not worry about what ESPN does and says? Relax guys, let’s just enjoy the moment right now….

13. Harper

October 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I remember going hoarse for two days from cheering at the ’83 pennant win over the Dodgers. When friends at work how the game was, I’d ask them to listen to my voice then say, “How do you think it was?”

14. Wheezy

October 3, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Well said, Tim… I was at the ’83 playoffs also and remember how the crowd rattled Burt Hooten and chased him from the mound . The fans certainly can have an influence on the game – as we did last night in the second inning! Great fun!

15. Philly in VA

October 3, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Listening to a struggling radio signal (1210 AM) in my car in Northern VA, even I could hear the excitement in the stadium.

16. Eb

October 3, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Don M… I do have a problem, it is a respect thing. I want eye contact, not one eye contact, only Pirates are allowed that.

Also I heard a rumor/true story that eye was taken out by a football throwing machine in the filming of that awful Hootie and Blowfish song with the sports center guys.

Anyone have any useful information on Dave Bush. Or is he your run of the mill 4th/5th starter

17. Don M

October 3, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Bush has a career 4.45 ERA… very good WHIP though, 1.23 WHIP (1.14 this year)… doesn’t walk a lot of hitters, but he gave up 29 HR this year, including 16 of those at home

If the Phillies can get some baserunners, and hope for the long-ball… that might be the way to win this game.. it doesn’t sound like the work-the-count, steal some bases gameplan will work … this is more of a hit-what-you-like game… and the Phillies can go up there and be selective since they have this 2-0 cushion

Moyer will hopefully be able to rcok the Brewers to sleep… you know they’ll be pressing with the home crowd buzzing and their backs against the wall.. Moyer can have them reaching out to hit his changeup and hopefully get some lazy popups or some ground balls to Feliz and Rollins

18. Chris.I

October 3, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I agree 100% with nobody outside of Philadelphia not showing the Phillies any respect! The funny thing is if the Dodgers beat the Cubs, than I bet we would be considered the underdog (reguardless we had a 8 game lead ahead of them) in the NLCS…All because of Ramierz, and Torre. God I cannot wait to send the Dodgers home, to watch us in the World Series…And I bet we STILL wouldn’t get any respect. I guess we have to win 2-3 years in a row to get our name mentioned on ESPN.

19. VASteve

October 3, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Julie said it best about “controlling emotions.” CC was rattled, no doubt. Phans did this! What I am most impressed about this years version of the Phillies it that they are controlling their emotions. It is obvious to me that they are having FUN and consequently, they are RELAXED. A prime example is Rollins yesterday not fielding that grounder cleanly in the 8th i believe. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and body language said, no biggie I’ll get the next one and turn two.

To me ….. this is a GREAT sign. A great sign of things too come. GO PHILLIES! Hey Philly in VA, do yourself a favor and get xm. Wheels, Harry, LA and the crew were on xm mlb yesterday.

20. mets rule

October 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Great win yesterday. Tim what would you guess that C.C. would get in the free agents market. Seeing what Santana got my guess is somewhere in the range of seven years 190 million.

21. Whisky Priest

October 3, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I was at Manny Brown’s last night watching the game. Sitting next to me was a Bostonian: he was blown away by how animated and knowledgeable Phillie fans are. It’s amazing how just about anyone you talk with in this town can hold a conversation about our boys.

22. NJ

October 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Off subject but a plus point for Philly fans. Sportsline rates the Flyers as the number 2 team in the east and 5th overall going into the season. Throw in a strong Eagles team and our Phils and…

Go Philly!

23. Dennis

October 3, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Don’t want to sir up an Eagles conversation on here but why the hell did MLB schedule the Phils/Brewers Game 4(if necessary, hopefully not) for 1:00 on sunday. The same exact time the Eagles are on, now I know it’s playoffs and it’s not even an option on which one to watch but it would’ve been nice be able to watch both at separate times, sorry just had to get that off my chest.

24. mets rule

October 3, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Where is the strong eagles team. and who cares about hockey only about 20,000 fans and they all think its a sports what a joke.

25. Dennis

October 3, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I meant ‘stir’ not ‘sir’….My bad!

26. Dennis

October 3, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Yo mets rule! Why are you still here? Go crawl in a hole, see you next season buddy! Eagles are better than the Giants and hockey is huge in this town. And more importantly, GO FIND A METS BOARD TO POST ON! YOUR SEASON IS OVER YOU LOSER!

27. Gabriel

October 3, 2008 at 4:49 pm

mets rule – thanks for the ‘great win’ compliment, i think that was your first attempt at civility on this board…
    what are the chances the mets bullpen would’ve held those leads (3-0, 5-1)? i would say about 2.4% likelihood… hah
    our boys are playing with a growing fire under em and i cant wait to clinch this thing…
    anyone think it’s too much time off if we sweep? our boys get cold or anything? i dont think so just wanna hear your opinions…

28. Griffin

October 3, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I just read that the Marlins signed “clutch-hitting Wes Helms” to a two year extension. I’m hoping that this means the Phils are off the hook for his salary next year. I know the Marlins held a team option. Now if we could just unload Adam Eaton….

October 3, 2008 at 5:21 pm

I lost my voice too when we won the division against the Nats… I’m proud of us

30. Jose Reyes

October 3, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Mucho Bueno.. I just got done golfing.. wish I was still playing baseball though

31. Don M

October 3, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Phillies Playoffs over Ealges everytime!!! If you can’t beat the lowly Bears..

32. Greg B

October 3, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Ha. let the talking heads say what they want.
    The Brewers bats have gone quiet and the Dodger pitching is excelling. Sabathia pitched poorly and the Dodgers are hitting the lights out…they can all kiss my rear.

Don M…Work-the-count, steal some bases gameplan ALWAYS works. Put the pressure on the other team, then they start serving balls up.
    Phils came out intensely aggressive on the paths and picked their pitches to hit. It wasn’t just the walks that rattled CC. GO PHILS!

33. NJ

October 3, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Go easy on the nice Met fan Dennis, not often we have classy Mets fans here over the ones that can’t string a full sentance together.

34. ryan

October 3, 2008 at 6:04 pm

the phillies have been getting absolutely no love at all from the national sports media. first we win the division and all they talk about is the mets, and now we’re kicking the brewers ass and all they talk about is the brewers. somebody at espn has something against us

35. mikemike

October 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Could somebody explain the cubs. How can the dodgers beat them. The dodgers were the worst team in the playoffs. Even with manny.

36. NJ

October 3, 2008 at 7:18 pm

In the NL the sports media loves the Cubs and Mets, anything else to them at this point in time is a fan antagonising blip.

October 3, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I really hope that the Cubs at least fight and take this to 5 games… so that in any scenario (if the Phillies win the series vs. the Brewers), the other team’s best pitcher hopefully won’t be available for Game 1 of the NLCS.

38. metsrule

October 3, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Fuentes today said he wants to pitch in newyork. Great news. That’s one of the bullpen guys

39. Philajen

October 3, 2008 at 9:36 pm

I was at the game last night and I can’t believe there is no audio of our roaring CCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCC chant. We killed him with it. It was 60 degrees and he was soaked with sweat. I’ve been to a ton of games and I’ve never heard the crowd come together like we did last night. It was amazing.

40. Griffin

October 3, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Well even though Fuentes is American, his last name sounds Hispanic, so Minaya will be fooled into signing him. Why am I wasting time talking about a non-playoff team? Moyer vs. Bush tomorrow!!!!

Awesome job by all Phils fan yesterday. The cheers for Myers fouling off the pitches was awesome and contagious. Every fan watching that game at home starting getting pumped as well. You could feel the energy in the stadium (unlike say…Wrigley).

41. TJ

October 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm

“Why am I wasting time talking about a non-playoff team?”

LMAO. The crowd was insannneee last night. Props to us. Sick of ESPN? Go to comcast sportsnet, they have one bias and one bias only. Philly sports all the time.

42. metsrule

October 4, 2008 at 7:19 am

I can’t wait until the phillies lose today and tomorrow and have to go to game five and face C.C. the weasels on this site will be crying,ha has

43. metsrule

October 4, 2008 at 7:29 am

Hey Dennis how many championship have the phillies won, ONE, Ha Ha how many superbowls big fat 0, what a joke. The reason you morons can;t understand why sports channels like espn talk mets is we have 5 times the population of low life cities like phila and tampa bay have

44. redsox fan

October 4, 2008 at 7:40 am

Can you see us beating the phillies for world title. headline reads phillies reject francona wins again

45. Pingback: holdem

46. Pingback: free texas h0ldem poker training

47. Jonathan

July 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Great post my friend. I agree with the majority of the comments, so there isn’t much more to say. Have a beautiful day 🙂 dermology stretch mark cream I’ll definately be back to read more!