Planning The Last Few Innings

So, bottom of the sixth. 9-1-2 up for the Phils. What to do?

Cole Hamels won’t come in for the seventh, so a pinch hitter is due. The whole bench is available. Look for the Rays to stick with Grant Balfour so the Phils make their move. Charlie Manuel will likely announce Geoff Jenkins. That would bring out a lefty, but not David Price, because the Rays would have to pinch hit for him in the seventh.

I would think the Rays instead turn to JP Howell or Trever Miller … or, stay with the right side and bring in Chad Bradford. If the Rays go left, the Phils should counter with So Taguchi, the best leadoff option in a sixth-inning situation. If the Rays go right, stay with Jenkins.

The key to the sixth will be Jimmy Rollins, who could be in position to move a runner to third, or score a runner. He needs to think about a line drive. I believe the layoff here will help him refocus, as he sort of lost that focus in game five.

Bullpen’s Moment

As for the mound, the Rays will lead off the inning with Dioner Navarro, Rocco Baldelli and Jason Bartlett. I say go with Chad Durbin, but on an extremely short leash. Have Scott Eyre or Ryan Madson ready to relieve him. Eyre should be in for Akinori Iwamura and Carl Crawford. Madson for BJ Upton and beyond.

That keeps JC Romero ready for the eighth or later, and keeps the possibility of Madson starting the eighth.

All, of this, hopefully, means 3=W.

1. Anth

October 28, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Can we give the rain, or Bud Selig the Steve Jeltz while we’re waiting for play to resume?

October 28, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I agree with everything you said. J-Roll will be the guy getting the most ABs, so he needs to get us back in the game with a hit or something.

3. phloridaphilsphan

October 28, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Feel free to rip me for this, but I don’t understand why King Cole has to be done. If he’s feelin ok, let him finish what he started and get the W?

October 28, 2008 at 12:44 pm

phloridaphilsphan: We only have to pitch 3 more innings. And King Cole can get the win if we score one run in the bottom of the 6th.

5. Joe Green

October 28, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Do the fans have to pay for parking again at CNB and surrounding lots? MLB should reimburse them if they do.

6. Josh Baltimore

October 28, 2008 at 12:46 pm

7. Joel (GO PHILLIES!)

October 28, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I have been trying to get thru all morning to SportsTalk 610 WIP to make a few points and so it seems futile I will make them to the awesome people here at PhilliesNation.

Point 1 – I agree 1000% with Anthony “The Cuz” Gargano with regards to all the fans inquiring about the time and date of the parade (Herin known as “The P Word”). Listen to Cuz…STOP wondering, STOP talking about it and STOP Googling it. Take no chances upsetting the baseball gods with this nonsense. When the Phillies win the Championship THEN and ONLY then, will that information be allowed out.

Point 2 – There is a lot of talk of worry that when the game resumes, there will be little fans because of commitments; even though they will re-admit the fans with tickets. What if they cannot get off from work, what if they flew in from far away, etc., etc. No problem…

…CBP made their money on the tickets, right? Let the masses in for free to fill that stadium. You will make more money on concession. The city needs a full house to shout their hearts out and get into the Rays’ heads. So why not…fill them seats; if there are open seats after the ticket holders come back and its a half hour before game time…open the gates…

…and if you have a ticket and cannot come back then for the love of the team…GIVE IT to someone else…PULEEEAAASSSEEE!

That’s my two cents!

Go Phillies!

8. Mike S.

October 28, 2008 at 12:48 pm

exactly right Tim…

every one of those moves should happen.

If Balfour stays in, you announce Jenkins (your weakest lefty off the bench) because that will mean a lefty comes in, so need need to waste Dobbs or Stairs

Tacughi will lead off this inning….
    dont swing at the first pitch.

9. Isaiah

October 28, 2008 at 12:52 pm

This is just too crazy. There are so many scenarios going on here (tickets, pitching, pinch hitters, etc). But I think it can be made simple. The phillies only have to hold the Rays for nine outs but are given 12 to score. Just go out there, pitch and hit smart, and get the W and the ring.

10. Gavin

October 28, 2008 at 12:56 pm

It makes for an interesting and unprecedented chess match between managers. I agree with all of those scenarios and I think that Price will come in the 7th and pitch the last 3 innings.

If the Phils can get them to go down 1-2-3 in the top of the 7th that would force Maddon to either make a double switch to get Price in or wait until the 8th.

11. Gavin

October 28, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Hey, thinking about the tix situation. Aren’t people allowed in free after the 7th normally?

12. Jason Bintliff

October 28, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I called the JETRo lot this morning to inquire about parking and having to pay, they told me that They need to pay employees to work the lots therefore, the will be charging to park in the lots. Oh yeah, and they will not be reducing prices on parking. After paying 30 bucks the last three nights, that is ridiculous. I implore everyone to take public Trans if they are able to. Screw the parking authority!!!!

13. Don M

October 28, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I’d gladly pay $150 to see the final few innings of that game tomrw night!

14. Joe Green

October 28, 2008 at 1:06 pm

The Phillies have to pay their ushers, grounds crew, etc also don’t they? Retorical ? Will they be charging again for tickets? I don’t think so. That’s sucks that they’ll be paying for parking again.

ESPN Sports Center just confirmed that game 5 is suspended until Wednesday at 8:37 ET.

15. Don M

October 28, 2008 at 1:09 pm

I don’t think there is any way that the Phillies can release more seats.. because there are owners of those seats, with their ticket stubs.. what the would most likely do is release 500 Standing Room tickets or something like that.. but honestly, they probably can’t do that either because of fire-codes and stuff.. if everyone with a ticket did show up, and they would be that much more over capacity.

16. Joel (GO PHILLIES!)

October 28, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Don, understood…I’m just saying, if there are empty seats at first pitch, let’s get asses in the seats….Phillies NEED the fans on this….

Good point on fire codes and stuff. The risk becomes if a seat ticket holder shows up, then we might have fights…

17. Don M

October 28, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Yea… I was making phone calls last night when they showed people leaving.. trying to get inside the stadium if the game was to restart at like 2am or whatever.. they need to have people there… you have to figure at least 1,000 can’t make it tomrw night because they are back in Tampa.. (super low number, of course) …. But because those people are the rightful owners to those seats, there is no way the Phillies can sell those seats again.. BUT.. because those seats are counted as people at the game… they won’t be allowed to sell extras because 46,000 or whatever the actual number is.. is the maximum capacity allowed.

18. Gaylord Focker

October 28, 2008 at 1:35 pm

There are 26 tickets available on for Wednesday nights game. Still very expensive though. What a horrible situation this is for the potential clinching night. FU Bud Selig you bumbling idiot!

19. Chuck

October 28, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Yeah I’d pay 150 or 200 to be there. Anybody that’s trying to make big bucks off their ticket at this point is a schmo in my opinion.

20. Phil

October 28, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I have a standing room ticket I’m gonna try to get into a seat because of this.

21. Mike S.

October 28, 2008 at 2:09 pm

hopefully the fact that they made the decision today that it’ll be moved til wednesday at 8:37 gives fans enough time…

i expect a sell out

22. Mike S.

October 28, 2008 at 2:09 pm

1 run. 9 outs.

23. Gabriel

October 28, 2008 at 2:23 pm

i had an awesome time at the game last night, i left when they rolled the tarp out (knowing because of friends phone calls that it wasn’t getting better anytime soon). i then got on the broad sub from pattison to locust, so i could then transfer to patco and head home to jersey. i got on at 12/13 locust and my train got stuck between 12/13 and 9/10th locust. i stood on a train with a bunch of drunken minors (puking and drinking AND SMOKING) for, get this, ONE HOUR… nobody had info, i didn’t get home (cherry hill, right over the bridge) until 1:30… worst patco experience of my life

24. Gabriel

October 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm

phil, i’ll shoot you a text if i have any empties around me (306) if you want

25. Jim

October 28, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I agree. Hamels only threw 75 pitches last night. Let him come back out on a day and a half rest…he’ll be fine for an inning (to get to Madson and Lidge) or two (to open the door for Lidge). Or will the 4 month layoff until spring training not be enough rest for him?

26. Dave

October 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm

When is MLB going to announce when games 6 and 7 will be played (if needed)….if Thursday is a travel day, and they play Friday and Saturday, could conceivably have Brett Meyers pitch tomorrow, since the game is tied and don’t know how long it may last… wear and tear on the bullpen….then Moyer or Blanton could start game 6 on Friday, and Hamels game 7, with either Moyer or Blanton available…..just a thought…..let’s win Wednesday so it doesn’t matter!!

27. bigmyc

October 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Tim, does the omission of Dobbs as that lead-off guy on wednesday mean that we are done with him in light of game two’s performance or are you planning on saving him for the “later” later innings? I think he’ll have a much better plate appearance on wednesday. I think that maybe that different lighting in the Trop had a lot to do with his flopage. He’ll know what to do.

28. bigmyc

October 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Of course, there’s the notion of the pitcher change once Dobbs is introduced, but maybe we still bat him anyway…he IS our best pinch hitter.

29. GM-Carson

October 28, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I say thanks to Chad Durbin for what he did during most of the season, but I do not want the see him in this game.

30. Don M

October 28, 2008 at 4:11 pm

you dont burn your best pinch hitter in the bottom of the 6th when the game is tied…

Jenkins should be the guy

31. Evrybuddy Hits woohoo

October 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Belfour is out there to start the 6th. While he makes his warm up pitches, we’ll see who is warming up in the pen, obviously a lefty and righty. If Price is in the pen, they should bat Jenkins to get Price in then bring Bruntlett in to face Price. He had a sweet swing on the home run against him. Price may remember that and be careful with his pitches and possibly walk Bruntlett. If any other lefthander, then bring in Taguchi. Whoever it is, get em on base and get em in. The Phils like to start off games with a run or two and make the opponents play catch up. If this happens, with our pen, game, set, Series.

Of course if nobody is warming in the pen, we bring in Stairs to crush the loudmouth Aussie’s measly fastball into the right field seats. If this happens, with our pen, game, set, Series.

32. Rick

October 28, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I’m confident! “Ya Gotta Believe” as all of the signs say.

We have potentially 4 innings of batting, they only have 3. Even if we lose, we know that we have 2 games to win one. They have to shut us down the entire way.

If I’m Manual, I play the odds and go for the jugular. I would have Myers, Eyre, and Durbin all ready to go, with Romero and Madson prepared for the 8th. If we score in the 6th, use the bullpen accordingly and get the ball to Lidge. If we don’t, Myers would love a chance to go 2+ innings and shut them down.

No one has talked about it, but I am scared to death of potentially going into extra innings with games 6 and 7 right around the corner. I don’t want to see the bullpen exhausted.

October 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Selig should know that there’s a good possibility this game could go into extra innings and avoid scheduling Game 6 on Thursday night. I heard him say that they would probably skip the travel day.

Lets win this tomorrow! We can do it! GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!