Posts

Sending Thanks To Our World Champions

Geoff Jenkins. He was the most obvious pinch hitter in baseball history, and he decided to knock the biggest hit of his entire career, a leadoff double.

So Taguchi. Didn’t do anything in the postseason, but came up with the big hit against the Mets earlier this season. A loss or two there to the Mets, and it’s a different story.

Kyle Kendrick. Struggled this season, but had a couple big starts, including an eight-inning shutout against Oakland.

JA Happ. The top prospect pitched some big innings down the stretch and gave fans a reason to look ahead to 2009.

Clay Condrey. The best long man in baseball even had a few huge spots late in the season.

Rudy Seanez. Came up big in a couple spots with his veteran moxie.

Eric Bruntlett. The runt had a couple huge moments in 2008, including the mad dash to the plate in game three of the World Series.

Chris Coste. 30-year-old rookie hits the climax of his career. From Fargo, N.D., indie leaguer to world champion.

Tom Gordon. “Flash” may never pitch again as a Phillie, but he had a couple big innings early on.

Matt Stairs. The barrel-chested 40-year-old socks the biggest home run of his life in game four of the NLCS.

Scott Eyre. From no-man’s land in Chicago to late-innings hero in Philadelphia. With a loud mouth to boot.

Chad Durbin. From swingman to late-innings guru, he was one of the big acquisitions in the offseason.

Greg Dobbs. The best pinch hitter in Major League Baseball, and the best in Phillies history.

Joe Blanton. What a trade deadline pickup — the big man went 4-0 down the stretch, then gave a string of huge postseason performances with his arm and bat.

Pedro Feliz. Supplying big defense all season, Feliz came through with the game-winning RBI in the World Series clincher.

JC Romero. What a grab last season. The left-hander may have had you biting your nails, but when didn’t he finish the job? He got the win in game five of the series thanks to a gigantic double play — the play he always pulls off.

Jayson Werth. Another big grab. The slender, goateed outfielder rose from the underground to have his best offensive season ever.

Ed Wade. Yes, Mr. Wade, thank you for building a foundation that became world championship-caliber.

Brett Myers. What a story. From closer to starter to minor leagues, then back to the top. Myers was integral to the team’s late-season push, and never, ever kept himself quiet.

Jimmy Rollins. The 2007 MVP claimed the Phils would win 100 games in 2008. He was benched, he was ridiculed, he was loathed, then returned to lead the team to the promised land … and 103 wins.

Carlos Ruiz. Left for dead as an offensive player, Chooch upped his game in the World Series with big hits. Oh, and he was the main man calling the best pitching staff in baseball, bell to bell.

Shane Victorino. The Flyin’ Hawaiian became a star in 2008, especially in the postseason. He broke the club record for RBI in a postseason, then had two big RBI in game five.

Ryan Madson. He started as a long man, almost left for dead as a prospect that never truly blossomed. Then the autumn arrived; Madson became the best late-innings guy in baseball, especially in an almost-spotless postseason.

Pat Gillick. Bit by bit, he picked up integral players that became huge contributors to this team. From the very small (Stairs) to the very huge (Lidge), Gillick fit the pieces together perfectly. If he goes out, he’s going out on top.

Ryan Howard. The 2008 MVP candidate had another strong power year, then woke up in game four of the series with two mammoth home runs. The biggest threat remains the big man.

Chase Utley. The Man. All business, he epitomized the 2008 Phillies through grit and 100-percent effort. His defense shone through brighter than anything in the postseason, and his throw to the plate to end the seventh will go down in franchise lore.

Charlie Manuel. The best manager in Phillies history.

Cole Hamels. NLCS MVP. World Series MVP. Ladies, gentlemen, distinguished persons: Cole Hamels is the best pitcher in baseball.

Jamie Moyer. The 45-year-old kid from the suburbs won a world championship. His first. With the team he grew up watching and rooting for. Congratulations, kid, you absolutely deserve it.

Pat Burrell. Saving The Bat for second to last. Maybe he’s not the best Phillie player of all-time, but while Utley epitomized the team, Burrell epitomized the city. Downtrodden for so long, The Bat realized his dreams, thanks to a clutch leadoff double in the seventh. He might be gone after this season, but boy, will he be missed.

Brad Lidge. Unquestionably the team’s most important player. The best offseason acquisition I’ve ever seen, Lidge was perfect — absolutely perfect — in 2008. And he delivered the final out of the Phillies second world championship with a slider heard ’round the Valley.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, 2008 Philadelphia Phillies. We love you.

1. KM

October 30, 2008 at 5:09 pm

We WON!

2. Mike

October 30, 2008 at 5:11 pm

WE ARE THE CHAMPS IN 5 AS I TOLD TAMPA FANS DOWN THERE AT THE TROP FIELD

3. Paul

October 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm

And thanks to Ed Wade for trading Lidge!

4. Bryan

October 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Way to be, boys. Best season ever.

5. Matt S

October 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm

What a season…all my dreams have come true..
    A Huge Thank You to the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies

6. Ken Stern

October 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Thanks so much for the joy you brought to all of us. From a Brooklyn Phillies Fan

7. Matt S

October 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm

wait wait… 2008 World Champion Philadelphia Phillies…wow thats fun to say…

8. Tom Lic

October 30, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Great end to a wonderful season;

Thanks Again Phillies

9. Paul L.

October 30, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Way to go, Phillies! You guys rock! Special kudos to Jamie Moyer!

10. Bill

October 30, 2008 at 5:17 pm

From an old time, long time Philly Phan who cut his teeth on the 1950 Whiz Kids, thank you for making an old man very happy last night! I had tears in my eyes and a clutch in my throat — haven’t felt that way since the day I first saw my baby boy (who’s now 38, and also a Philly Phan, of course).

Lights Out Lidge, JRoll, Pat the Bat, Chase, The Big Guy, the Flyin Hawaiian, Werth, Pete Happy … and the part-timers who were SO important to this Championship: Stairs, Geoff, Dobbs.

And of course, the Most Valuable Cole — King Cole, the ace of a very good staff.

What a team, what a bullpen, what a collection of World Champions.

Thanks for the ride — it was so much fun, let’s do it again.

11. Cheryl

October 30, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Now, can we give Cole Hamels a decent raise!!!!

Awesome job, Phils!!

12. Phil

October 30, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Thank you so much. I am so happy to have witnessed this in my life. I’m watching ESPN around the horn, and they think this nucleus will win the WS a couple of more times before it is over.

13. MaryRose

October 30, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Thank you, thank you thank you…my DAD who was a PHILLIES fan forever is looking down and smiling from ear to ear and I just wish he was here to share this awesome time…you have all given us such pride and joy!

14. Evie

October 30, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Way to go!!!! Congratulations to the Champs! Thanks for another great year guys! Charlie – you’re the BEST!

15. Jen

October 30, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Thank you Phillies for giving us hope again in our city! I am so thankful to have been around for this one and i will be celebrating the way a dedicated Phillies fan should!

Jayson Werth, i love you!

16. T

October 30, 2008 at 5:23 pm

I will never forget the look on Jenkins’ face after he hit that double. It was exactly the same thing any true fan would do if they got a hit for their favorite team… what a passionate and caring guy who fell in love with this city in less than 1 year.

17. Craig

October 30, 2008 at 5:27 pm

The Utley throw to home to get the runner out ought to have a blog entry of it’s own. In fact it ought to have a website of it’s own. WHAT A PLAY!

18. Susan

October 30, 2008 at 5:27 pm

This team is really special. I’ve been a fan since 1949 and always loved the Phillies. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s celebration.

19. Brian

October 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Thank you just isn’t enough to express my appreciation for the greatest roller coaster ride of a baseball season ever.

World Champions! Unbelievable!

Job well done boys!

20. Dan

October 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Congrats to the Phillies and their fans, they def. deserve the title. Enjoy the parade tomorrow!

21. Kat

October 30, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I couln’t be more happier or prouder for you guys!!

What a fantastic group effort, you definitely are a “team”.!!!

You gave us all something to cheer about, you are all
    MVP’s..!!!

Enjoy your success , you deserve to be the
    WORLD CHAMPIONS !!

Kat

22. Sarah

October 30, 2008 at 5:36 pm

I was in a womb for the last Phillies World Series in 1980! Now it feels like Christmas on Halloween! I KNEW when I moved to LA in January that this would happen, but I never thought I’d be able to come home for this. Know how much I love the Phillies? I even am giving up Halloween at The Playboy Mansion to go to the Parade. Nothing comes between me and my Phillies! Anyone wanna tell me where the best Phillies/Halloween party is going to be now? 🙂

23. Lori Belmont

October 30, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Congratulations from the Belmont Family in Hamilton Square NJ

24. Dot

October 30, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I have always said that the Phillies were the best, well this year proved that they are the best. They are the Best Champions that Baseball has ever has.

25. NJ

October 30, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Wow we do really hate Adam Eaton here… I don’t have any time for the guy but didn’t quite realise the level of hatred directed at him.

26. Mike

October 30, 2008 at 5:52 pm

thank you to all the club?

27. Nationals#1

October 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm

We knew you guys could do it, even when everyone else doubted you. Congratuations, you completely deserve to be called the World Champions!!!
    I woud say something about those bandwagon jumping analysts and writers but why bother? Lidge’s third strike said it better than anyone else could have

28. Pingback: Phinally, We Win! « Modern Day Slacker

29. Ken

October 30, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I am so proud to be a Philadelphian. Having lived in the New York suburbs for 30 years, it is such a pleasure to show the New Yorkers what an honor and privilege it is to be the World Champions. There were so many big contributions by the reserve players that will truly be remembered.

30. Debbie

October 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Thanks for everything guys! 28 years was worth it, because we are experiencing this with a team like you.

31. Marc Landis

October 30, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Whatta night! Whatta series! Whatta season! Great job!

32. Chuck

October 30, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Thanks for all the memories!!! You all deserve it. And the city has waited a long time for this. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

33. Art D.

October 30, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Most credit due to the Phils advance ML scouts who–together with Dubee–composed a pitching plan that left the Rays at a loss at the plate.

DUBEE et al (not yet recognized) FOR MANY PLAUDITS!!

In fact, IMO, Dubee is THE unacknowledged LARGE reason the Phils won it all!!

Thanks, Rich!!

34. G Ray

October 30, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Never doubted it for a minute. Said they’d win in five didn’t think it would take three days to happen but who cares we are champions of the World.
    Congratualations to each and every member of the Philadelphia Phillies.
    Lets do it again next year this is fun

October 30, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I LOVE THIS FREAKING TEAM!!!!!

36. The K

October 30, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Thank you to our 2008 World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies!!!!!!! 😀

37. Peg & Bob

October 30, 2008 at 6:11 pm

FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS TO THE BIGGEST HEARTS IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE–THE WORDS “WHY CAN’T US” RINGS OUT LOUD. YOU MADE ALL OF PHILLY PROUD. GOD SPEED TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD. NO MATTER WHERE YOU ALL WIND UP, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A “PHILADELPHIA PHILLY”. A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO THE GRANDEST MANAGER IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE–CHARLIE MANUEL. WAY TO GO BOYS!!!!!

38. SJ Mike

October 30, 2008 at 6:18 pm

I can’t wait until the DVD(s) come out so I can watch and relive this season over and over again.

I have DVDs for the ’80 team, ’93 team, and ’07 team.

39. The Dells

October 30, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You guys have made our hearts happier than anything in a long time. You are the World Series Champions now and forever!@!

40. Samantha

October 30, 2008 at 6:20 pm

We are so excited…only bummed because we now live in CA and can’t be at the parade Friday to celebrate the “phantastic” win of our Phillies!!!

My Father-in-Law (a life long Phillies fan) passed away a year ago and my husband and I were sad he missed it – he would have loved watching our boys kick butt!!!

Way to go guys – thanks for giving us such a great ride!!!

41. Phillies Diary

October 30, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Well boys, we did it. What a long and laboring season only to get stuck in a 2 day rain delay. Only fitting. This team will go down in my mind as the greatest in Phillies history (and I was 12 when the 1980 team won). Every time you might have had your doubts, the team game through. Hats off to the Phightins!

Oh and you had to figure one of two trades in the last 5 years for the Astros’ closer would work out. Didn’t you?

I’ve said it for years. Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen! Without that I don’t care how good the rest of the team is. (see: The Mets)

42. The Alicea & Aponte Family

October 30, 2008 at 6:25 pm

I would love to thank the Phillies for making our city champions. Ive been a fan since i was a baby thanks to my father. My Father was there when the Phillies won the first World Series and he waited so long for another victory. He was practically in tears last night. Ive never seen him so happy. Thank you.. A special shout out to Ryan Howard My mother adores You. She calls you her Nieto ((thats spanish for grandson)) because you look like her grandson so you have a special place in her heart. She only watches the Phillies just to see you hit home runs. She wanted me to say that. Anywayz Congrats it was a victory well deserved. On behalf of my family and the city of Philadelphia WE LOVE YOU!!!THANK YOU!! and we know you can do it again next season =)

43. Doris Miles

October 30, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I Believe!

44. Mr. & Mrs Dave Kicinski

October 30, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Way to go boys. Thanks so much for finally bringing a championship here to Philly. We love you.

45. Diane

October 30, 2008 at 6:31 pm

For an unsung hero……..

Geoff Jenkins has always been the first one up those dugout steps to congratulate his teammates, and encourage their successes!

So fitting he got the leadoff hit!

The Phillies………today’s sunshine in a rainy world! Bless you!

46. Tom Russell

October 30, 2008 at 6:33 pm

A Great Big “Thank you” to the Fighting Phils for a Wonderful Season, and Winning the World Series.

47. Kate

October 30, 2008 at 6:36 pm

I thought I had sorted out all of my emotions until I read this piece. It brought tears to my eyes. Tim, thanks for writing such an appropriate and loving tribute to the Phillies.

As for the Fightin’s themselves–a team that defied odds, that re-energized a city, and that was just plain fun to watch–thank you for your grit, your determination, your style, and your energy. You will not be forgotten!

48. Erica

October 30, 2008 at 6:41 pm

YOUS ARE AMAZINGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! …

49. NILESH TAILOR

October 30, 2008 at 6:44 pm

THANK YOU!!! NO ONE HAS MADE THE CITY SO JOYOUS THEN U!!! GO PHILLIES!!!

50. MIKE CUZ

October 30, 2008 at 6:45 pm

IT’S OUR TURN NOW! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! R.I.P. to the jinx (born 1984- deceased -2008!) GO FIGHTIN PHILS!!! THANK YOU!

51. Linda E. A

October 30, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Way to go Guys Great Team work I have been cheering for you since the last Big Win, So Thanks to each & Everyone of you. You have made all of us so Proud.

52. ashley

October 30, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Love those guys!

Thanks!!!

53. Justin

October 30, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Thank you to all the Phillies fans up above, who heard our prayers and answered them, Thank you!

54. Kim

October 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Thank you Phillies for bringing so much joy into our city.

When everyone is down because of hard times, you gave us a reason to celebrate.

To All of the hard working staff that stood in the rain, heat and cold. Thank you for always being there.

55. Amy

October 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Congratulations Boys, You deserve it. You Worked hard to get where are you today, and We couldn’t have done it without you. You Men are Amazing and You are the Best out their.
    I can’t wait to see next year.
    Thank you for a remarkable season.

56. Addie

October 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Thanks to the best team in baseball! We waited a long, long, time and now we don’t have to wait any longer.

I know that Johnny Mars and Vouk are smiling down at our city today. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I’m already looking forward to Season 09!

Phillies Phan Pforever!!!!!

57. krams

October 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm

TY TY TY TY

58. Sherry B

October 30, 2008 at 6:55 pm

The core of this team has been exciting to watch for the past three years. This is the perfect culmination for a group of men who have shown the desire to improve and who have believed in themselves for quite some time. I was honored to be in the stands both on Monday and Wednesday to see these Phillies become World Series Champions. I come from a family of dedicated Phillies fans going back to my grandfather and it has been a pleasure to come to the ballpark these last few years to watch them play ball. Congratulations to the coaching staff as well as all of those listed above. No team gets to the pinnacle on one or two people’s efforts. It’s a team sport for a reason and every person involved from spring training to the last pitch of the World Series deserves recognition for a job well done. Thank you Phillies for one of the biggest thrills of my lifetime.

59. Griffin

October 30, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Damn this team was so loveable. Flags fly forever, and so will the memories. Thanks to everyone.

60. elyse

October 30, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Thanks for a great season and the wins. Congrads on the winning of the world series. Special thakns to us and all the fans of philadelphia and surriunding areas, see you all at the oaradde fri 10/31/-08

61. Janet

October 30, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Congratulations and thank you to all the Phillies players and the entire organization for making us proud once again. Yes it’s been a while and I remember the 1st World Series win very well. Unfortunately I now live 700 miles away from the celebration but I am there in spirit. Enjoy the parade!!!

62. joe

October 30, 2008 at 7:11 pm

after so many times of winning the national league east it’s about time and way over do.a big congrats to all for a great season winning the world series of 2008.

63. d marley

October 30, 2008 at 7:29 pm

best season ever

64. barbara

October 30, 2008 at 7:32 pm

you are the greatest, you made it all the way, may god bless you.

65. mikemike

October 30, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Does Adam Eaton get a full share of world series money?

66. Hendo

October 30, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Hearty congratulations from this corner of Nationals Nation.

As my long-departed idol Bob Prince would’ve said… you had ’em allllll the way.

67. Amy

October 30, 2008 at 7:40 pm

2008 Philadelphia Phillies and all the coaches, staff, management, and Charlie Manuel – THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF THIS PHILLY GIRL’s HEART!

A city’s history and personality are rooted in the personal stories of its everyday citizens. SO MUCH of these stories are sports-related in Philadelphia: stories and memories shared by family and friends, events that may or may not BE all of someone’s life, but 100% make life WORTH living, stories that take us out of the sometimes scary world of reality and put us in the pureness and genuine fun of baseball, nostalgia and togetherness.

I grew up with these stories and they were a huge fun part of my family and we created our own stories. I was in my Mom’s tummy at the 1980 Clincher and my parents’ passed their tickets to my sister and I and as my Dad said, “sent the rooks to get the vets job done of cheering!” Let me tell you, I am assuming it was much warmer in my Mom’s belly than it was as an adult in the the rain of Game 5, Part 1!!!! But there was nothing more exciting than that last out and the win and the fireworks and confetti. Nothing more cool than looking at my sister and us SCREAMING and CRYING with excitement, calling our parents and them screaming back on the phone!!! It was like an amazing dream that caused a flood of memories of alllll the years leading up to this great moment: games with my Dad at the Vet, family trips to games, great players of the past, parking near the old smokestacks and walking to the Vet, a great hot dog, the Phanatic (BEST MASCOT IN SPORTS!!!!) at my sister’s wedding, the last game at the Vet, the 1st at the Bank, EVERYTHING. It was overwhelming. SO THANK YOU PHILLIES for writing a new chapter and story in the memories and hearts of Philadelphians that gives us PRIDE and that WE will tell everyone forever and ever!

JRoll – seriously there is NOTHING like a JRoll triple, I always cheer my face off and get a massive head rush its so exciting!
    Chase Utley – you are baseball at its purest, good hard work, AMAZING defense!!! Loved the tag and throw double play! INSANE!
    The Flyin Hawaiian – AMAZING SEASON AND KILLER POSTSEASON! I think I almost got evicted from my apartment for screaming so loud at your grand slam against CC Sabathia! Thanks for that! I was sick and tired of hearing everyone talk this dude up! You showed him what’s up!
    Cole Hamels-you are the BEST pitcher in baseball, thanks for your hard work, WE LOVE YOU.
    Brad Lidge – I’m not gonna lie, I heart you. HAHA! You pitch with a passion and your perfect record makes EVERYONE AMPED with confidence when you get out there to make it “lights out!”

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

68. Doug

October 30, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I was 24 when the Phils last won the World Series in 1980. 28 years later it was a pleasure to witness Cole Hamels, 24 years old, lead this squad of fightin’ Phils to the World Championship, and take home the series MVP honors. I’m especially happy for guys like Burrell, Rollins, Myers, and Madson who endured some tough seasons here before this franhcise put it all together. Thanks to them, as well as Utley, Howard, Victorino, Feliz, Ruiz, Hamels, Lidge, and that incredible pitching staff for bringing the world championship back where it belongs. You know somewhere in the heavens above Tug and Whitey are smiling. Thanks for the memories, champs!

69. brian

October 30, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Thank you to Billy Penn, who finally let us off the hook. We promise to never disrespect you again.

70. Go Blue!

October 30, 2008 at 7:46 pm

hehehe….and the Phillies won in silence as this year’s World Series was the lowest rated ever. Ever.

Congrats folks. The real truth: No one outside of Philly gives a damn about your team or your victory.

So congratulations!!!! Too bad for you, nobody cares.

71. brian

October 30, 2008 at 7:48 pm

and guess what assface, nobody in philly gives a damn.

72. brian

October 30, 2008 at 7:48 pm

you can’t touch this

73. Jeff

October 30, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Thank you so much, this year has been a ride like no other I am truly proud as always to be a phan of the createst team in all the land!

74. timinLynchburg

October 30, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Thank you boys for saving the season for The Red Sox.

It was a great series, no doubt about it. Now, are we going to have to wait another 28 years? Let’s hope not.

Charlie, you did a great job, a truly great job. Not bad for a kid who never learned how to quit.

75. glenn

October 30, 2008 at 7:59 pm

At last.It feels soooooooooooooooooo good

76. Wilson

October 30, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Joe Carter stole my childhood

The ’08 Phillies gave it back to this 23 year old!

Thanks for the greatest season I can remember!

77. Camille

October 30, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Thank you for a wonderful year! What an amazing time to see my favorite team win the World Series. Congratulations, you are the best!

78. Ryan

October 30, 2008 at 8:10 pm

That was amazing. It was the first time I’ve ever seen any of my teams win a championship and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Check this article out about Philly fan and why they deserve a championship.

79. Anne

October 30, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for a spectacular year. I loved everyone minute of this year. You guys deserve this championship more than anyone else. When everyone I talked to on Tuesday was starting to count you out, I stood strong in my faith in you and I BELIEVE!!!!!! Thanks again.

80. Cheryl Says

October 30, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Thank you for an intense season and wonderful WORLD SERIES games! You all are GREAT and you all seem to have great chemistry with each other….that makes you a GREAT TEAM.
    YOU GUYS ROCK….. 🙂 Now let’s see a repeat….enjoy the Parade tomorrow and all the celebrating – you deserve it!!

81. Debbie

October 30, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Thank you for a wonderful ride all season and into the playoffs. Everyone worked together as a team, whether you used your bat or your glove to get the job done.

Congratulations you all deserve it

82. Chase Mutley

October 30, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Due to my job, my wife and I moved out of Philly this past year and up to a town in the Lehigh Valley that I had never stepped foot in before. For many reasons we didn’t want to leave Philly but we were heart broken about not being able to just skip down to the Bank on a whim to catch a game.

As luck would have it, the Iron Pigs set up camp a few towns over. The very first game was an exhibition that had the Iron Pigs vs. the MLB Phillies. To think, when all the players were introduced that day, that they would end up as World Champions.

We were there when they clinched the NL East against the Nats. I found myself in LA on business the day they cliched the NLCS against the Dodgers and was able to score tickets the day before. I feel blessed to have been there for so many important milestones in this season.

In May I said that I wanted this Championship, not just for the city and for myself but because this is the GREATEST group of guys that you could ever wish this for. I wanted this for Jaime Moyer. I wanted this for Pat Burrell. I wanted this for Charlie Manuel. Well, we got it.

I look forward to partying with all 1 Million + of you tomorrow. Lets get wild!

WORLD CHAMPIONS

(Go Blue! It funny that all you’ve got to throw at us is TV ratings. Seriously? You couldn’t even sell tickets in your own city for the playoffs. We’re lucky NFL blackout rules don’t apply to MLB or no one would’ve seen any of the home games the Dodgers played this postseason. Go put on your Manny Ramirez wig and cry somewhere else.)

83. Nick Says

October 30, 2008 at 8:30 pm

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!
    THERE’S NO “I” IN TEAM.
    I WISH I COULD CUT SCHOOL LIKE JAMIE MOYER DID 28 YEARS AGO TO GO TO THE PARADE TOMORROW BUT MY PARENTS WON’T LET ME.

CONGRATULATIONS. Nick

84. ann

October 30, 2008 at 8:31 pm

soooooooooooo happy for Pat the bat because no matter what he did he was in that dugout cheering on the team and genuinely happy for them when they did good love ya Pat and chase and cole and werth and victorino and charlie and lidge and madson and staits and jimmie and ruiz and romero and charlie and jamie on and on and on everyone

85. marlene

October 30, 2008 at 8:40 pm

been waiting a loooong time for this. saw it happen in 1980 and am now in 7th heaven. congrats to our philadelphia phils.

86. NateB

October 30, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Thank you Champs!!!! We all needed that.

87. Phillies Phan SC

October 30, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Let me also thank the players. I want to just add one thing about Kendrick. He did struggle, but he still had 11 wins. They still would not have done it without him. He is going to be a great pitcher as he matures.

88. Phillies Phan SC

October 30, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Oops, I meant to thank the coaches and Phillies staff as well. Often we forget them; without them, the players cannot get where they are going!

89. Evelyn

October 30, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Loved every Sunday game we went to. Watched all the others, too. Gave the playoff tickets to our sons who were thrilled to go to the games especially the 5th and final game of the W. S. It’s a thrill they will never forget and neither will we at their excitement at being a part of destiny. I’ve have been following you guys since I was 14 and will continue always. Great season, great guys, congrats, you all deserve it. Good luck next year, too!

90. Vicente

October 30, 2008 at 8:46 pm

I had no doubt that the Phillies were going to whoop up on the Rays. Congrats Phils, I look forward to more fun and exciting baseball from you guys next year. And hopefully this time around, I’ll be able to get some World Series and Playoff tickets.

GO PHILS 2008 & 2009

91. Larry

October 30, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for the good memories this season. Thanks for bring it home to Philly. You all deserved to win it all. I can’t wait to next year

92. NEPA

October 30, 2008 at 8:57 pm

This season will never be topped for me personally. But, I see this team coming out next year straight business and taking a big lead by the end of June.

93. Maureen

October 30, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Well, the Lads have done it!!! You have made us all proud to be a Philadelphian!! Thank you:)

94. Zach L

October 30, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Thank you for a phenomenal season phils! In my second full season of religiously watching the phillies on mlb.tv i watched so many great games and loved every moment of it. GO PHILS! bring it back in 09!

BRING BACK PAT THE BAT!

95. Roseanne Runner

October 30, 2008 at 9:00 pm

The Phillies loved by the city , The team give us one great season…
    To the Champions God Bless and enjoy yourselves in the games yet to be played ……

96. john

October 30, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Thank you for a great year. The memores will last for ever. This team hung

together through alot of hard times. That is the makeup of philadelphia ,

So ones again thank you ,and lets do again next year. GO PHILLIES.

97. Bonezy

October 30, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Well Done fellas…Thanks for the great year!

98. Bob S.

October 30, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Well now….it has been a long time ago that i came back from Spring Training claiming that we have a really good squad and this could be our year….i did complain thou about us not signing Lohse (shows what i know)…..i am already looking forward to March in Clearwater.
    It seems like just yesterday thou that we all were in battle on this website, with our NY brothers to the north, who proclaimed the NL pennet, before the first game was played…..my, they sure did use some bad language when referrring to us small town Philadelphians. (how many weeks has it been now since the beloved Mets last played a game?)

99. Joey

October 30, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Thanks boys, this was a great ride to the top.

WE ARE WORLD CHAMPS.

100. Tom

October 30, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for giving me something to hold over my Met’s fan father-in-law. Go Phils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

101. MikeMc26

October 30, 2008 at 9:08 pm

You said it perfectly Tim. Thanks for all the hard work, perseverance, and grit to you Tim and to OUR WORLD CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!

102. Tom W

October 30, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for the TEAM work. You deserve it all!!

103. JJF

October 30, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Chase – Your throw to the plate cutting off a run was probably the key to victory last night and will surely be right up there with the play made by Pete Rose when Boone bobbled a popup! Way to go good buddy!

104. Paul B

October 30, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I was at the final game in 1980, with Tug McGraw, et al, which was an incredible experience and still a great memory…this equals that and abit more since it’s NOW!!! Thanks to the entire Philly’s organization and all the fans that ‘kept the faith and continued to believe’ all these years…it’s been well worth the wait…’WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS…OF THE WORLD’!!!

105. Betsey Batchelor

October 30, 2008 at 9:29 pm

You played from the heart…. I could feel it.
    Thank you for all that you gave to the game and to all of us. :^)

106. Andy

October 30, 2008 at 9:31 pm

This was truly awesome. I knew how important it was for this team to win a World Series with the core group intact. Let’s stay contenders for many years to come.

107. Jason B

October 30, 2008 at 9:37 pm

As I sit here writing this, I think of the many young adults in my generation who had waited for this moment, but because of god’s will, never lived to see it. I just want to pay the respects to those who did not live to enjoy this moment in our sporting history…. and Thank you to the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies, who made 27 years of heartache worth suffering through! You cannot have the sweet if you don’t know the sour, This is pretty sweet!

108. cm

October 30, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Let’s do it again next year!

109. Fred Lennon

October 30, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Congratulations for giving us a good year and a great series. You won the series on my moms birthday (which passed away in 1988).

110. Jessica

October 30, 2008 at 9:42 pm

I was 8 years old for the parade in 1980, and my mom pulled us out of school. 28 years I’ve waited to see this again! I’m stuck in Colorado this time and can’t be home, but I’m there in spirit!! I love my city!! I love this team!! They are the greatest!! Utley is the man!! GOD BLESS THE PHILS!!!

111. Louis Morrone

October 30, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Never a doubt with these guys. They have the right stuff. I hope they all come back and do it again! Like Harry said,”2008 World Champions of Baseball”.

112. Frank H.

October 30, 2008 at 9:49 pm

I had no doubt you guys would be World Champs. Congradulations savor it!

113. Sheila

October 30, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Thank you Phillies! What a team! Each and every one of you deserved to win! We’re so proud of you. And ya gotta love Charlie Manuel!

114. Cle

October 30, 2008 at 9:58 pm

GO PHILS! YOU GUYS ARE DESERVE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

115. Steve E.

October 30, 2008 at 9:59 pm

I want to congratulate the Phillies on one of the most memorable seasons in a long time. There were ups and downs and bad games for everyone but you came together at the end and won it all. You all said that it was the team that won it and without the team you could not have won it. The fans backed you 100% and will always back and it is great that you could bring a championship to Philadelphia again. Good luck next season and try to live up to what you did this season!

116. Cle

October 30, 2008 at 9:59 pm

GO PHILS!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST AND DESERVE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

117. Mario

October 30, 2008 at 10:05 pm

I am thrilled to no end that the Phillies phinally won the World Series ( again )…..and glad that they are team to end the curse of Billie Penn…

HOWEVER…and a big one at that…the Philly dude that moved to LA and is flying home for the parade and giving up a Halloween Party at the Playboy Mansion needs some therapy!!! Somebody needs to have a sit down with that young buck!!

118. sharon g.

October 30, 2008 at 10:06 pm

You guys ROCK!
    Thanks for giving us something to believe in and for making our dreams come true!

119. Latifa

October 30, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Thank you phillies for never giving up and fighting all the way to the end. There were a few rough times but you believed and fought hard for it. You played as a team and are now known as the 2008 WORLD CHAMPS. GO PHILLIES!!!

120. Ann T

October 30, 2008 at 10:12 pm

I am 74 yrs old and I watched all the games in the series and I was so happy to see the Phila. Phillies win. Go Phillies===Good Luck and God Bless all of you.

121. Krista

October 30, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Thanks making all the Mets fans I live around cry! You guys are amazing.

And for the inspiration to get my tattoo the year we win the World Series.

122. Steve T

October 30, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Wow! That was fun!

Let’s do it again!

123. Phil

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I’m starting to get sad that this season is over…I don’t want to wait until April. 🙁

I can’t believe the trolls coming over here to try to trash this team and our fans. Do they not have a life? Show some respect.

124. JEANIE

October 30, 2008 at 10:30 pm

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!! WHAT A TEAM YOU ARE – THANK YOU FOR MAKING US PROUD!!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN A GROUP OF GUYS WHO REALLY PLAY AS A “TEAM” LIKE YOU GUYS HAVE IN THE LAST FEW YEARS!! THANK YOU FOR BEING SO GREAT!!!!!!!!!

GO PHILS!!!

125. Iva G

October 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Way to go Phillies!!!!!!
    Thank you for a memorable time in our lives,,We love you guys.
    To Mitch Williams we always loved you also.

126. Mickey D

October 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm

$4$ best entertainment in professional sports. Congrats guys! And now, the countdown to Spring Training…

127. SJ Mike

October 30, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Great article on the Top 5 Feel Good Stories of the World Series for the Phils. Shows a great deal of love and respect to us.

128. T Marty

October 30, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Hellluva Ride. it’s almost sad that it’s over, but the results, can’t ask for anything more. 2008 Phillies you made my adult life. (i was 9 in 1980), thank you. thank you so so much… platonically speaking, i love yous.

129. steve s (stick)

October 30, 2008 at 10:48 pm

as ron simmons says on WWE; DAMN!!!!!

130. CHARLIE

October 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm

CHARLY,THANKS FOR GO OUT THERE DAY AFTER DAY AND WORKING WITH THIS TEAM TO PUT US ON TOP OF THE WORLD. WE ARE THE CHAMPION OF 2008 .NO ONE CAN EVERY TAKE THIS AWAY FROM US.
    THANKS YOU FROM THE CITY OF BROTHERLY LOVE. GO PHILLIES WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPS. I JUST WISH MY FATHER BUSTER AND BABY SISTER DILLIE WERE HER TO SEE WHAT YOUR TEAM HAS DONE THIS YEAR. I KNOW THEY WERE WATCHING FROM WEREVER THEY MAY BE.
    CHARLIE REGO

131. Andrew

October 30, 2008 at 11:07 pm

I remember watching the last world series with Tug McGraw pitching.What a game that was and now this championship game. WOW!!!
    All I can say now is ” You Got to believe,Why not Us”
    Way to go Phillies!!!!!!!!!!

132. Christina R.

October 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm

PHILLIES!! I LOVE YOU!

i had such a fun time this season watching every game either at the Bank, home or friends house.
    Watching the Phillies the other night made me believe that phaint dealt the phans of philadelphia a sweet hand!
    Phillies i love you all, especially jayson werth, i had so much fun during the season by having my 17 game plan seats in section 105 row 7. Thanks jayson for always noticing the phans and tossing balls up to little phans-the kids. i will never forget you kindness!
    And all the laughs I got from my fellow phans when i held up my personal sign to you ..”its WERTH a try …. can i get a KISS?” you’re man!

congradulations –you guys deserve it!

133. Helen

October 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Congratulations guys!!
    Thanks a lot …..what a win
    Way to go Phillies

134. Brian

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Thank you, guys, for quite a ride! Was amazing, spectacular, awesome, and whatever descriptions you want to use …. your hard work and determination are appreciated by the fans everywhere. Special “thank yous” go to Pat Gillick, Charlie Manuel, and their staffs for their incredible foresight and talents. Enjoy the parade, Phillies family … it was a truly incredible season!!

135. Tom

October 31, 2008 at 12:08 am

Thanks for a great season. It”s truly been one of the best TEAM efforts Ive seen in my 50 years of following the Phils!

Congratulations ….hope to be writing another thank you note next year.

136. Phillies Phan!

October 31, 2008 at 12:13 am

CONGRATS TO THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES!!!
    YOU GUYS GAVE US A HELL OF A YEAR!
    I WORK AT THE BALL PARK IT WAS AWESOME TO BE THERE AND CHEER ON THE PHILLIES WHILE I WORKED STANDING IN MY SECTION IN MY CONCESSION STAND FOR 5 YEARS AND WAITING FOR THEM TO DO SOMETHING AND THIS WAS THE BEST YEAR YET I CANT WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR SEE YOU IN 5 MONTHS AND ONCE AGAIN
    CONGRATS TO THE PHILLIES
    2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS

137. Bob L.

October 31, 2008 at 12:36 am

Don’t forget to thank Easy Eddie Wade for Brad Lidge!!! HAHAHA

138. Joy

October 31, 2008 at 1:43 am

I would love to thank all the phillies for a great season and a great win!! I moved to St. louis just before the Cardinals won the series in 2006. All I ever heard This year was that the Phils could never wrap up a world series. Welll, Thanks for shutting the mouths of all these very off the wall people here in this state. I am a true Philadelphian forever!!! No matter where I live. Go Phils!!!

139. Leonard Rogers

October 31, 2008 at 3:40 am

i was in the service when we won the last world serie and thank you Phillie
    for put philly on the maps everybody know philly now.

140. brooks

October 31, 2008 at 5:04 am

Memories, current and past about our Phightin’ Phils! This is tops.
    In 1980 I remember being with my former wife & in-laws watching the games on TV. My mother in-law on her knees along side my wife everytime the Phils came to bat in every game from the series with the Expos, Astros and the WS games – jumping and screaming…

28 years later, I have 3 season ticket packages with my best friend, my grand daughter (14) is a certified #1 phan, saw the opener this year, the clincher, the final game and 5 playoff (including all 3 WS) games.

A bunch of us are heading to the parade today, how could we even think of missing this? Thanks to “T-money” (friend and co-worker) for filling in for me today brother!) I can be there. What a beautiful day ahead of us! I have the camera, we’ll be at Broad St. then head on down to the Park and what a time, a culmination of the time of my life!

How can these feelings (sorry, Pheelings!) truely be explained? Grown men crying! Everyone who goes to the Park has a bond, we are all Phans. Enjoy this my brothers and sisters! This core of champions seems to have the right ingredients to make this into a sweeeet tradition – the best candidate for the CY; 2 MVP players with another favorite; the best (at least this year) closer in all of baseball “Lights Out”!

Lets remember though, the Phils got here for a few reasons and without this one we would be watching it all on TV highlights – this year we had the best BP I have ever seen!

Yeeehaa! See you all at the parade! I cannot sleep —–

141. M.V.P 29

October 31, 2008 at 6:07 am

You make my dream com thru.

142. Kevin Arnold

October 31, 2008 at 6:39 am

I have been waiting 28 years to see this. I was alive for the 1980 championship but I was only 1 year old, so I dont really remember it. I will remember this for the rest of my life and I hpe that you guys can do it again for my son who is due to be born on Dec. 6 2008. Thanks for everything. this is a dream come true!!!!!!

143. Eddie Murphy

October 31, 2008 at 6:41 am

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME AND YOU WON THE BIGGEST GAME
    ON ONE OF HE BIGGEST STAGES.
    CONGRATULATIONS ALL OF YOU.

144. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 31, 2008 at 6:59 am

one you forgot:

Adam Eaton You collected a huge-ass salary for the past two years while demonstrating to the world that you not only don’t belong on a post season roster, you can’t even pitch effectively in Single-A.

145. Angela Concitis

October 31, 2008 at 7:08 am

You Guys’ are the BEST!!!! Thank You Guys 4 the Greatest Victory We’ve Had Here In Philly Baseball in Years’!!!! You Guys’ Made it Worth The Wait leaving Us All In Serspense and Thanks To Mother Nature For Making it More Worth the Wait (LOL)….
    Blessings To All You Guys & The Maniger(s) & Everyone Behind the Team.
    Love Ya All,
    AngieGirl
    (You All ROCK!!!! =}…..)

146. Patrick

October 31, 2008 at 7:16 am

Thanks for giving the city what it was missing.

147. Carole

October 31, 2008 at 7:18 am

Tom (my husband passed away from cancer) he was a huge fan and has so many shirts and hats, since 80’s win he was waiting for this win. I am dedicating the win to him (who I know had a 1st row seat!)
    Thank you Philadelphia Phillies for a great job, it was a nail bitter but you DID it for US the City of Philadelphia AND THE CURSE IS LIFTED!
    Today is your day so that we can honor you. I can’t make it because I am home sick today I will watch it on TV and be with you all the way down BROAD STREET!
    THANK YOU PHILLIES FOR A WONDERFUL YEAR AND CONGRATS ON YOUR OUTSTANDING WIN, I LOVE YOU ALL!

148. Carole Lisacek

October 31, 2008 at 7:22 am

Tom, this one is for you! Rest in Peace
    THANK YOU PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES FOR A WONDERFUL YEAR!
    YOU GUYS DID A FANTASTIC JOB AND DESERVE THIS PARADE TODAY!!!!!!
    YES IT IS A VERY RED OCTOBER!
    WAT TO GO TEAM, I LOVE ALL OF YOU!

149. Janice Duffy

October 31, 2008 at 7:51 am

This was the most thrilling time ever. Thank you for making us forget our problems in the world at least for a little while. Congratulations to each & every one of you. You all made us proud to be Philadelphians!!!!! GO PHILLIES!!!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

150. Sharon

October 31, 2008 at 8:05 am

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

151. judy parsons

October 31, 2008 at 8:13 am

Go Phillies!!!!! Great playing skills!! We are very proud of you guys!!

152. Christina

October 31, 2008 at 8:15 am

153. bruce

October 31, 2008 at 8:16 am

WE LOVE YOU FIGHTINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

154. Jonathan

October 31, 2008 at 8:17 am

This season was an amazing ride. Thanks to the Phillies for playing their hearts out for each other and for us, the fans. You guys did an amazing job. World Champs! Go Phillies!

155. Kris Fullam

October 31, 2008 at 8:21 am

Thanks for bringing it home to the City of Brotherly Love! We are so proud!!! 🙂

156. Sue G

October 31, 2008 at 8:30 am

Enjoy the parade Phillies! Hope everyone has a great time.

157. Mary Beth

October 31, 2008 at 8:31 am

Just wanted to thank all you guys for a wonderful season. We are proud of you and we can’t wait until Spring Training starts. We miss watching you guys already! Have a great winter and we’ll see you in Clearwater.

158. Ron C

October 31, 2008 at 8:37 am

I’m a big Phils fan currently living in the DC area. Wish I could be at the parade. Thanks for bringing the Championship back to Philly! Congrats!

159. Jacqueline Mcleod

October 31, 2008 at 8:41 am

I’M ORIGINALLY FROM NEW YORK BUT BEING A PART OF THIS WHILE LIVING HERE JUST MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU’VE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

160. Rose

October 31, 2008 at 8:46 am

Everyone contributed. When some were down others picked it up demonstrating the true meaning of the word team. Congrats to all Philly players, the staff and of course, the fans. I’m sure Tug McGraw was hovering over the field.

161. Cliff Wubbenhorst

October 31, 2008 at 9:00 am

Thank you Phillies you are a great team, with a great manager. You made everyone happy. You guys are the best Phillies team ever!

162. Arielle Elaine

October 31, 2008 at 9:10 am

Great job phillis! That was awesome…
    I love you philis!!!!

163. Darlene

October 31, 2008 at 9:10 am

CONGRAT YOU PHILLIES. I’M AND FAN FOR OVER 30 YRS.

164. Vicki

October 31, 2008 at 9:32 am

From a lifetime fan from the bottom of my heart – LOVE YOU, Phillies! Congrats and enjoy the parade today! Wish I could be there!

165. Darlene Landis

October 31, 2008 at 9:42 am

Thank you Phillies for giving one of the best nights in my life!!!
    The City of Brotherly Love is back, tks to you guys. Luv ya.
    I saw the game in person, thats one for the bucket list.

166. Gem from Philly

October 31, 2008 at 9:43 am

I was 3 when the Phillies won the world series in 1980, so can’t recall much. I feel so fortunate to have witnessed such an amazing win this year. This is a true team, and your success is testament to that. God bless all of you!! To Ryan Howard and Shane Victorino, I’m your biggest fan!!! Come visit the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philadelphia soon and ask for Jannine for a congratualtory cheesesteak and water ice on me. 😉

167. Kevin

October 31, 2008 at 11:25 am

As a Philadelphia native transplanted to North Carolina in 1973, I watched the 1980 and 2008 champions from the far reaches of TarHeeldom. I was 25 years old for the first winner, now I’m 53. For a moment on Wednesday night, I was eight again, seeing Jim Bunning perfect-game the Mets on Father’s Day. I was 17, following every Steve Carlton start in his perfect season. I was 21, seeing Mike Schmidt hit 4 homers in a game at Wrigley. I was 42, saddened by the death of Richie Ashburn.

All of the sad and happy memories came back at that instant, all of them tied up in my life as a Phillies’ fan. At that instant, even the sad memories were transformed into ecstasy.

One quibble with the original post, however: I don’t think I could agree that Brad Lidge was “unquestionably the team’s most important player,” if by that you mean the player who contributed most on the field to wins. That player would have to be Chase Utley. His 10.6 Wins Above Replacement Player, as measured by Baseball Prospectus, dwarf Lidge’s 6.3.

168. Cheryl

October 31, 2008 at 12:02 pm

wooooowhooooo The parade is starting…Go Phillies…

I am so stoked…and speechless…

169. Saretta

October 31, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Love you guys, great job let make this a habit….. a habit of winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

170. Angela

October 31, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Congrats Guys… Thanks a million!!!!

171. Jason

October 31, 2008 at 1:09 pm

been waiting since i was 8 for this day…we finally did it…i cried when i heard Harry Kalas calling the final out…

we did it…and i couldn’t be happier

congrats guys…and thank you

172. Lex

October 31, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Tug is smiling from heaven. I’ve been waiting for this moment my whole life. Can’t wait to see us make the series again next year.

173. Erika

October 31, 2008 at 1:32 pm

GO PHILLIES!!!! I knew you could do it!!! Now take some time to relax and enjoy this joyous event!!! Keep up the great work 🙂 🙂

174. Shelby

October 31, 2008 at 1:41 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

175. Cal/Barb/John

October 31, 2008 at 1:52 pm

You made the fans of Philly very, very happy and thank you.

176. Mike K

October 31, 2008 at 2:03 pm

YEEH 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!! HOW GOOD DOES IT FEEL TO FINALLY BE ABLE TO SAY THAT!!!!

177. Elise

October 31, 2008 at 2:06 pm

GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feels great to be from Philly today! I’ve been following this team almost my whole life and I still can’t believe they really did it! WOO-HOO, 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

178. Tim D.

October 31, 2008 at 3:00 pm

What a great year! It was great to see how everyone on the whole team made key contributions. Philly is really proud of their Phillies. I can wear my red with even more pride now. GO PHILLIES!!!

179. Lisa G.

October 31, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Thank you for making Philly proud!

180. George

October 31, 2008 at 3:09 pm

The Utley play deserves to be an all-time world series classic. But since Derek didn’t do it, it might fade from the national spotlight into Philly oblivion. If it does, I don’t care, I will always remember.

181. David W.

October 31, 2008 at 3:09 pm

NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT.. GOOD THING IS I DON’T HAVE TO LISTEN TO THESE DAMN BRAVES FANS ANYMORE ABOUT A CHAMPIONSHIP.. IT’S OUR TIME NOW SO THEY CAN KISS MY ASS…. WISH I COULD BE THERE TO ENJOY LIKE YOU GUYS ARE DOING NOW..

GO PHILLIES!!!!!! 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS

182. barry from yorkshire

October 31, 2008 at 3:46 pm

congratulations from all English Phillies fans.I sat up and watched all the postseason games mostly till 4 or 5 in the morning.I am now suffering from acute sleep deprivation but boy was it worth it!Theres been times in my 16 years as a Phillies fan when I’ve questioned my sanity but I’ve kept the faith and its paid off.

All credit to Pat Gillick for doing a tremendous job backstage.Enjoy your retirement.To Charlie and the team a heartfelt thankyou for making us all so proud.Lets do it again next year

I’ll be raising a glass or two this weekend to the 2008 World Champions.

Cheers

183. Jeff Z. in Wilmington

October 31, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Made turning 50 worth waiting for!
    When do Pitchers and Cacthers report?

184. Pat & Dennis Hillman

October 31, 2008 at 5:12 pm

From our family to yours

THANKS YOU

185. greg

October 31, 2008 at 6:12 pm

hamels? best pitcher in baseball? Congrats but that is far fetched he caught fire at the right time.

186. George Keiper

October 31, 2008 at 6:26 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!
    As a life long Phillie fan and native living in Braves country,you guys have given me years of leaway with these frontrunners.While I am overjoyed for each and every player,I am especially happy for Jimmy Rollins,and Pat Burrell,they have been here the longest and played here when this team stunk.And I am so jealous of Jamie Moyer,(in the best possible way)for living my dream of winning it all in a Phillies uniform.
    Joe Blanton keep swinging,relax for a couple of weeks,and I’ll see you guys in Cleaewater.

187. Mike G

October 31, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Finally, the Phillies are the Champs and gain some respect from the NY teams. It just go to show that you can’t always buy the best team, you have to have heart. I could not plan a better night than sitting down with my son and watching the Phils play ball. Thanks for all the great moments.

188. SUEZQ

October 31, 2008 at 8:05 pm

THANK YOU PHILLIES! The Celebration was awesome! CHASE you are the man!!!!

189. Mike

October 31, 2008 at 8:11 pm

THANKS PHILS! I became a Phillies fan as an 8 year old in 1964 watching a game with my Dad on his Father’s Day gift, a B&W portable TV. Jim Bunning pitched a perfect game! Every year since I had hopes of a World Series win. By 1980 my hopes were fading, but then the miracle! And 28 years later another one. UNBELIEVABLE! IN 1980 I was at college, but seconds after Tugger’s final pitch for a strike I called my Dad. 28 years later at 9:58 following Lidge’s final pitch for a strike I got a call–my son away at college! Thanks for the memories. Across the country they have no idea, but these Philadelphia teams reside deep in the hearts of their fans in good times and bad. I LOVE THIS TEAM!

190. Monica

October 31, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Way to go team! We are so proud of you for all your hard work during the regular and post season. Thanks for bringing a championship to Philly once again. It was fun to watch every moment and a tremendous experience for all of Philly!

191. Landis'

October 31, 2008 at 9:47 pm

WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
    WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

192. Landis'

October 31, 2008 at 9:49 pm

WORLD @#$%*! CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

193. Steve B

November 1, 2008 at 2:07 am

been a Phillies fan for fifty years saw 1980 and 1983 lets do it again next year!

194. Fran P.

November 1, 2008 at 6:40 am

Thanks for all your hard work and hard play. It was a joy to watch ALL SEASON!
    But most of all, THANKS for getting us. We have been nationally maligned as fans but this team understands and seems to really appreciated us and we LOVE you for it.
    SEE YOU ALL NEXT SEASON!!!

195. Sheryll B

November 1, 2008 at 7:02 am

Thanks for the great 5 games World Series… exciting to watch…
    You make Philadelphia proud!

Looking forard to next season.

196. CUSH FAMILY

November 1, 2008 at 9:22 am

CONGRATS PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR HAT’S OFF TO ALL OF YOU.

197. DAVID HARRIS JR

November 1, 2008 at 9:44 am

I WANT TO SAY IAM SO HAPPY FOR THE TEAM AND THIS CITY ! WE SHOW THE WORLD THAT PHILADELPHIA IS MADE OF ! PRIDE GUTS AND GLORY ! WE LOVE THE FIGHTING PHILS . AND TO THE METS FANS KISS OUR ASS! WE ARE NUMBER ONE ! LETS DO THIS ONE MORE TIME IM 2009 ! GO PHILLIES

198. Roxe from Roxboro

November 1, 2008 at 10:28 am

THANK YOU PHILLIES!! You guys are awsome and (damn good looking too!) See you in the Spring 2009! YOU GOTTA BELIEVE we can do it again!!
    CONGRATS WORLD SERIES CHAMPS 2008!!

199. Michael

November 1, 2008 at 11:13 am

THANKS YOU PHILLIES!!!

It has been 28 long years and you guys finally did it. I am so happy for this team. What a bunch of great players. I now live in Las Vegas but will always be a Phillies fan. 2008 was great and I believe we have a team that will repeat in 2009.

WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS 2008!!!!!!!

200. Eric

November 1, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Phillies! Now that it’s over, I’m wondering what else is next. Guess I’ll keep up the celebration!

201. VALENTINA

November 1, 2008 at 4:00 pm

THANKS PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!

I NOW LIVE IN ALABAMA, BUT I STILL ROOT FOR THE PHILLIES.
    YOU MADE ME PROUD TO BE A PHILADELPHIAN. I AM CELEBRATING RIGHT HERE.

202. Branden

November 1, 2008 at 5:14 pm

This is a dream come true for me. I was born in 1982, so I never witnessed them winning it all in 1980. This team means everything to me. I have been waiting for this moment ever since I knew anything about something that we all consider”America’s past time”. THANK YOU PHILLIES!!
    I am so proud of “MY TEAM”.

203. Don M

November 1, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I was at the parade in 1980 I was 11 years old. This is surreal 3 days later and it still hasn’t completely sunk in. Thank you Phillies for a much needed boost to the city. This Championship is exactly what we needed. This team has embraced this city and took unto itself the desire and dedication of each and every fan. They brought a grit and determination to the game that hasn’t been seen in this city in a few years. Thank you guys for Fightin’ all the way… We are the champions !!! Phinally !!!!!!

204. brian

November 2, 2008 at 12:15 am

Thanks for memories, we started down with you at spring tranning and stayed with you guys the hole year. I just hope my son rembers the ride….

205. UgaVIIfan

November 2, 2008 at 8:33 am

I am a SF Giants fan and was rooting for Phillies to win because we have 2 former players on your team: Pedro Feliz and Scott Eyre. Pedro Feliz has always been very solid on defense and he’s surprised our team with key hits – as he did in Game 5 where he got the winning RBI. Scott Eyre was a very good reliever also — so I was thrilled to see two good former players win their World Series Ring. Congratulations!!

206. DD

November 2, 2008 at 11:04 am

What a season!! Not only are you World Champions but you are group of guys who are so easy to root for! I am proud to be a phillies phan!! Thanks for a GREAT RIDE and congratulations to each of you. Have a wonderful offseason. I am already counting the days to spring training and phillies baseball again.

207. BabeRuth

November 2, 2008 at 11:59 am

Cardiac Kids? You know it. Watching them from on high actually STARTED my heart a few times!!!

208. NDCMRNC

November 2, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Thank you to all the PHILLIES for a great show. This TEAM and this City looked wonderful on the national stage. The people of this city definitely needed something to celebrate after the horrible year this has been with four of our officers killed. This TEAM provided just what we needed. Thank you … thank you …. thank you.!!!

209. Alex

November 2, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I was born in 1983, and therefore have never seen a major Philadelphia team win…so I can honestly say that I’ve truly been waiting for this all my life.

The Phillies hold a place in my heart and always have. I grew up in South Philly, a stone’s throw away from the Vet and the Fightin Phils. When I was old enough to work, one of my first jobs ever was selling souvieners at Veteran’s Stadium during both the Phillies and the Eagles seasons. Although I love the Eagles as well, I didn’t enjoy working their games much, considering that they took place in the dead of winter. I ALWAYS looked forward to going to work during Philles games though. Seeing all of my fellow fans and how dedicated we are to our team and our city was something I loved.

I’ve been to a ton of Phillies games that I wasn’t paid to be at as well. I will never forget taking trips to the game with my family and friends as a little girl. As I watched Veteran’s Stadium come down, I couldn’t help but to be sad. So many memories and so much of my childhood was in that building.

Up until this year, I fully believed in the curse of William Penn. I thought Philadelphia teams were destined to be those who get to the Champsionship and choke. I was so thrilled to be in attendance when the Phillies won the Division this year, but honestly had my doubts about how far they would make it.

Way to prove me wrong, guys!!!! I was stunned by what a great team we have and what a great job they did during this post season. Not only are they the World Ph***ing Champions, but they manage to look good doing it, too (I’m talking to you especailly Shane, Cole, and Pat).

You’ve made your fans so proud. I stood on Broad and Shunk after the National League and World Series wins and have never seen so many people so excited before. I’m hoping I won’t have to waittoo long to see it again.

GOOD JOB BOYS…WE KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

210. Alisa

November 2, 2008 at 5:03 pm

I was so happy i cried. Thank you so much!!!! I will never forget what you have done for this city!

211. CarolineSmart

November 2, 2008 at 8:31 pm

You young guys are great what a thrill,I was at the 1980 Parade too old to go to this one.But you made my family & the city of Phila proud.Stay well hope to cacth a game next year,when I go at least once or twice a year you always make me proud.God Bless All of You keep safe.

212. Jennifer

November 2, 2008 at 11:21 pm

THANK YOU TO THE ENTIRE TEAM FOR YOUR HARD WORK ALL SEASON!! I HAVE WAITED ALL MY LIFE TO SEE THE PARADE DOWN BROAD STREET AND I PHINALLY GOT TO SEE IT!!! PAT BURRELL I WILL MISS YOU!! YOU ARE STILL NUMBER ONE WITH ME! AND TO THE REST YOU GUYS ROCK!! CAN’T WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!! WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

213. Chris S.

November 2, 2008 at 11:51 pm

THANK YOU! You are the best! My grandfather missed you winning by a year, but I know 100% he was with you guys, I told him to help you out throughout the series. heehee. Love you and look forward to this again and again and again. Go Phils!

214. Bob

November 3, 2008 at 1:39 am

Congrats Phillies you guys are the best im a huge fan and philly loves you guys thanks for a great season

215. Tom H

November 3, 2008 at 10:38 am

Chase said it best “WORLD CHAMPIONS…WORLD (BLEEPING) CHAMPIONS” I love this team and wanted to thank them for helping make 2008 the best year of my 29 years on this planet!

216. DAVID HARRIS JR

November 3, 2008 at 11:28 am

I STILL ON CLOUD NINE ! IT IS GREAT TO BE FROM PHILADELPHIA! AND IAM SO HAPPY LETS DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR.!

217. Brian Jr.

November 3, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Phillies!! I was at the parade cheering you guys on, way to go, do it again next year…

218. Kelly

November 3, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I was in grade school during the last World Series and I was so upset AI couldn’t be at the parade. This time, nothing was going to stop me. Thank you so much for the win, the experience and the great season.!

Keep up the good work.

GO PHILLS!!!!!!

219. PhillyGuy

November 3, 2008 at 1:21 pm

The final 3 innings of game 5 was the most perfect microcosm of the season and the playoffs. It had a home run, an almost home run, stolen base, play at home, a bunt, getting the lead, losing the lead, getting the lead again, etc. The Phillies play was outstanding.

Thank you for a wonderful year.

220. Robert

November 3, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Just got back today. What a trip…. Thank you Phillies for making all my dreams come true. It was a long time to wait but It was worth it. Absolutely wrecked after my flight back to Ireland.
    Congrats, Phillies, You did us proud!

221. Wes

November 3, 2008 at 6:44 pm

What an accompleshment for a team that stuck together all year long
    and did not look back at from when ever or who ever went into a slump
    and worked there butts off to bring this city the championship it rightfully deserves . A long time has gone bye since we all had the oppertunity to celebrate and because of the ownership of this team and the outstanding judgement they made to hire a general manager who has the experties to bring in new good talent that did help this team be successful in the goal we all thought could be accomplished and win a world series not only for the fans but for the players who made it possible for everyone to enjoy victory. Quote Mike Schmidt,Take this championship ans savor it because you all deserve it. Yes we all do deserve it . Congradulations To all of the people in the Phillies organization and thank you very much.

222. Tracy Hudgeons

November 3, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Thank you to all the players and anyone that has to do with the organization for the wildest ride of my life…What a rollercoaster. I was 9 in 1980 and in 2008 I felt like I was 9 again. Thanks again for making me feel like a kid again and for bringing us a championship. The parade was a day I will never forget. You guys semmed to be having more fun than we were and we all got to share that together….Thank You !!!!!!
    We Are The Champs

223. Rose

November 3, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Congratulations to the entire Phillies organization!! Thank you! Thank you! The experience of the parade for my family was unbelievable! You made us all a part of history!!!

224. Andrea

November 5, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Thank you Phillies for bringing home the championship. My grandmother, “MOMER” was a big fan of yours and I only wish she was still here to have celebrated with you. But I know she is in a better place and it was she who took her wings and made all those balls fly out of the park.

I enjoyed watching the parade with my father “HERB” and his best buddy, “MR GEORGE” as we had the best seat in the house (my office window).

My family and I commend the entire organization on a job well done.

Don’t stop now this is only the beginning.

225. LA Dave

November 7, 2008 at 3:26 pm

In 1980 i was 10 years old as i sat in the 700 level to watch Tug Mc Graw close it down and Harry Kalas’s voice echoing through transister radios. My parents let me take the day off for the parade as my brothers and i climbed a pole just to get a glimpse of our heros: Mike Schmidt, The Bull, Gary Maddox, Larry Bowa, etc. Fast forward 28 years later and many Phillies games from here to LA and around the US. I am so freaking happy, thank you 2008 Phillies. My mom is in heaven looking down and she is loving it. I can not believe it. We watched every game from the Shack( Philly HQ here in LA) with my fellow PHILLY fans and had goose bumps. i love this game and my hometown of Philadelphia. I miss it.

226. Donna

November 8, 2008 at 6:57 pm

My whole family is so proud of the Phillies as a team and as role models for our young children. You’ve worked hard and deserve the glory. Let’s continue this trend next year!

227. Kristina T

November 9, 2008 at 12:24 am

Even though I am only a teenager I’ve been watching the Phillies forever ! The
    night you won the World Series was the greatest feeling of my life…I just want to say Thanks for a great year and a great post season…See you in the spring!

228. Kimmy S

November 9, 2008 at 12:33 am

Even though i’m young, this has been the best 15 years of my life,thanks to you PHILS!haha. When you guys won the world series that was the best day of my life! I’m a veeerrryyy big phillies fan.i still wear my phillies “gear” everyday(: i really hope you guys come back and win it again next year! Watching the world series and seeing the phillies parade were days i will never forget! Long story short-PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES->WORLD SERIES CHAMPS ’08!You guys deserved it! Oh and I LOVE YOU CHASE!!!(:

PHILLIES FEVERRRRRRRRR!!!

229. Phils in 5

November 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Game 5 was my 30th birthday!!! I can not think of a better way to celebrate, It was a dream come true, I have been season ticket holder for 4 years and I was at game 5 and it was the greatest day of my life!!! LOVE THIS TEAM

230. Mary

November 10, 2008 at 12:25 am

Go Phillies!!!! Lets do it again next year!!!

231. Kristin

November 17, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for a wonderful season!! October 29, 2008 was the greatest day of my life!! Let’s do it again next year!! Go Phils!!

232. Anthony

November 21, 2008 at 3:21 pm

THANKS………………..BIG TIME!!!!!!!

233. Lamendola

August 23, 2009 at 1:53 am

great post, thanks for providing so much. Keep up the good posts.! http://www.hoover-f5914900.com

234. Carmina Wiederhold

March 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Neat blog, some interesting details. I believe 8 of days ago, I have found a similar post. Does anyone know how to track future posts?