Posts

Stage Set For Burrell To Go Out On Top

Call me crazy, but this is the time Pat Burrell will shine.

Burrell — who is 0-for-13 with five walks and five strikeouts in the World Series — likely will stride to the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning in tonight’s game five. He could return in the bottom of the ninth. In one of those plate appearances, he’s going to come through.

We’ve seen a lot of storylines close as the postseason has progressed. We’ve seen Chase Utley prove clutch with a couple home runs and solid defense. We’ve seen Cole Hamels mature into a top-flight, elite pitcher. We’ve seen Ryan Howard come through huge in some big spots. Supporting players Matt Stairs, Eric Bruntlett and Joe Blanton have shone, while Shane Victorino, Jamie Moyer and Ryan Madson have realized their potentials and dreams.

But Burrell remains a chapter short. Sure his home run during game four in Milwaukee secured that series, but this is his stage. This is potentially his final game as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies, and his last as a Phillie at home. The longtime Phillie always seems to stash away a big moment, waiting for the perfect time.

Well …

1. WEBB

October 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm

IT’S SURE IS NICE TO DREAM. BUT THIS IS DOUBTFUL. WIN THE SERIES AND DON’T RE SIGN HIM.

HIS STAY HERE IS OVERDUE

2. dan

October 29, 2008 at 1:34 pm

MVPat! MVPat! MVPat!

WEBB, lay off the caps lock. Burrell is beloved here and I couldn’t dream of the Phils here without him.

3. Tim Malcolm

October 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm

So far Burrell’s biggest moment as a Phil was his homer off Wagner last year in July.

I think we need something bigger to remember him by.

4. Jeffrey

October 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm

shhhh, no need to shout.
    Anyway, I’m hoping we have a huge inning in the sixth so Burrell doesn’t have to wait until the seventh to bat.
    Let’s go Phils! Wrap this thing up tonight and call it a season!

5. Paul

October 29, 2008 at 1:39 pm

All I want is a win.

But it would be sweet if Burrell could get a big hit tonight.

6. WEBB

October 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm

sorry. my work system you have to use caps. i forget people say that means yelling.

burrell could hit a grand slam tonight…and that would be great. but please dont sign him…..

7. Paul A

October 29, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I’ve been saying the last two days that the perfect way to win this thing would be for Pat to hit a walkoff homerun, ending his Phillies career in grand fashion and forever etching his name as a legend in Philly.

8. MP

October 29, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I agree and I think Pat will come up with something big tonight. He’s had some tough years here, but I think tonight he will give us something to erase all the bad times with.

9. RK

October 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I hope Pat bats in the 7th and has a great game, however i hope it does not take a walkoff to finish this game. I cant take anymore nailbiters

October 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm

It will be hard though, especially if we get a lead early in the game, Bruntlett will come in for Pat in the top of the 8th. So there’s a possibility that we will see Pat the Bat walk to the plate only once. 🙁

He deserves a lot of credit for where we are now. He carried this team with Utley during the first-half of the season. His team-first mentality might make him get a walk tonight instead of just swinging for the fences.

11. Jamie

October 29, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Whether Pat gets a big hit tonight or not, he will go down in my book as a great Phillie. Not Mike Schmidt great. Not Steve Carlton great. But great. He gave us eight solid seasons and one poor one, but even his poor season yielded more than 20 home runs. He never complained about the way he was treated, he never complained about his teammates, he never complained about the fans or the city. He perservered – he was humble during the good times, and equally as humble during the bad.

You can’t judge Pat Burrell’s Phillie career just based off of his performance in this game yet to come, or this entire post-season for that matter. There have been a litany of times where Pat has come through for this team, and over the past year and a half, I think we’ve seen him mature into the team leader that we so badly needed him to be.

An argument remains on whether the Phillies shoud, or will, sign him. But for this moment he remains a Phillie. He deserves our support NOW, and we should give it to him irregardless.

That being said, I look for a nice sendoff for the Bat. Let’s do this shit. TONIGHT IT ENDS.

12. MP

October 29, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Jamie well put. I always felt like Pat is that family member everyone in the family makes fun of and hassles endlessly about everything, but when someone outside the family says something – then you get defensive. That’s how I feel about Pat. He’s not the best. But he’s one of our guys and has been for most of my year’s as a Phillies fan. Tonight’s his night.

October 29, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Well said, Jamie.

BTW, I’d like to see Pat again next season. He is a leader, he is part of the glue that keeps this team together. He adds way much more than the stats show.

14. Evrybuddy Hits woohoo

October 29, 2008 at 2:14 pm

He should hit in the 6th since the Phils will get some runners on then. They should score then so it may be his last at bat. Let’s hope it is a memorable one. I don’t think either way he bats in the 9th.

15. DAVID HARRIS JR

October 29, 2008 at 2:16 pm

I FEEL THAT PAT THE BAT WILL HIT A GRAND SLAM TONIGHT . TO WIN THE GAME HE IS DUE . GO PHILLIES.

October 29, 2008 at 2:38 pm

oh my god there’s a DIAMOND CLUB E ticket available on StubHub for “just” $886.. INCLUDES ALL FOOD AND DRINK!!

If someone is planning on buying a ticket for tonight, go for that one… Others are going for at least $650.

Just posting this here in case a real Phillies fans want to go and hasn’t seen the ticket listed –it’s at the bottom of the list since”StubHub cannot clearly identify the selection name of the tickets”

17. MikeMc26

October 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I hope Pat does something big. As much as I used to curse the guy, I’ve grown to realize that he’s a big part of this team and where they are right now. I’ll miss the loaf if this really is his last game as a Phillie. Now get it done Pat!

18. Georgie

October 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm

If Pat in some way wins this for the Phillies, I will cry rivers.

Well, I’ll cry anyhow, no matter what, but it would be SO SWEET if Pat could take us to the promised land.

19. Gabriel

October 29, 2008 at 2:43 pm

i desperately want to get a couple of runs in the 6th… that will give king colbert the win, making his postseason numbers 5-0, a fitting record for the guy who got zero run support all season long

20. Josh

October 29, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I LOVE IT! I’m with you! PAT THE BAT! PAT THE BAT!

21. Jamie

October 29, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I agree. Pat has a big at bat, Hamels get the win, and Lidge tops off a perfect season with a title. That’s the way books and movies end. That’s the way our season should.

22. Griffin

October 29, 2008 at 2:49 pm

man or machine?

23. Georgie

October 29, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Yes, Jamie, that’s exactly as it should be!

24. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 2:52 pm

I really don’t care how we win……..JUST WIN DAMMIT!!!!!!!

25. Groty

October 29, 2008 at 2:55 pm

@ Jamie –

You forgot about the oldest rookie ever earning a ring. Now that’s a Disney Movie.

26. Griffin

October 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm

MLB officially announces that game 6 will be tomorrow. That means NO OFF DAY which means that Hamels can’t pitch on regular rest on Saturday, because game 7 will be Friday.

27. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Manny.prices are coming down on Stubhub. An hour ago SROs we over 600 now they are 485!!

28. Georgie

October 29, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Chuck, under $500 is sounding really tempting.

29. Jamie

October 29, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Good point, Chuck. I’ll vote first for the storybook ending. If that doesn’t work, hell, I’ll take a pass ball, error, or bloop single by Brett Myers. I don’t care…just get us that damn trophy!

30. Dave

October 29, 2008 at 3:03 pm

For Pat to bat in the 6th, they’d have to load the bases and have either 2 score or 2 outs…..

October 29, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Yea Chuck…but this is a DIAMOND CLUB ticket…

Well, nevermind…it’s gone.

32. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Yeah I noticed that Manny. Not a bad deal tho

October 29, 2008 at 3:21 pm

5 hours till game time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

34. Jason B

October 29, 2008 at 3:27 pm

The Phillies will be flying into Tampa/ St. Petersburg again…. When Pitchers and Catchers report!!!! They win it tonight. Go Phils!!!!

35. Pingback: A Couple Things

36. Griffin

October 29, 2008 at 3:35 pm

marriage

37. SJ Mike

October 29, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Do my eyes deceive me?

Is that sun and blue sky I see outside in South Jersey?

38. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Time for everyone to get ramped up again!!!!!

It’s good we all got some sleep………cause it’s gonna be a very late night!!!!…….or morning

39. Dennis

October 29, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Haha SJ Mike! Sun there and rain here in Chalfont, PA. Just a quick passing shower I hope….

40. SJ Mike

October 29, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Yes, that is sun and blue sky I see!

I’ve been at the computer editing all day and haven’t been on here. Had to get my mind around it, but now I’m starting to get a little amped up.

And all the sudden seeing sun and blue skys now make finishing up this video harder!

41. Joe Green

October 29, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Pat was awesome in the finally of the NLDS vs Milwaukee, hopefully he’ll duplicate it tonight.

Has Charlie considered having Brett Myers to come in for the top of the 7th?

If a reliever will be plugged in when play resumes tonight, I’m not so sure that’s a good idea.

It takes the relievers out of their normal element, that is, it puts them into a starter’s situation. If I were Charlie Manuel, I’d give serious consideration to having Brett Myers start out pitching for the Phillies. He was the Phillies closer last year so he’s familiar with the reliever’s role and as a starter this year, familiar with preparing to starting a game. He would have liked to continued to close, give him the ball to start tonight. He could go 2 innings and have Lidge close if needed. If the game was still tied in the 9th, he gould go further.

What happens if neither team scores for 5 or 6 innings. With Myers starting out as the Phillies pitcher tonight, the Phils would be set up better as they’d still have their top relievers, the Rays would be turning to starters to relieve.

The Phillies would still have Moyer for game 6 on normal rest and Blanton for game 7 on normal rest if needed. Hamels had a short outing (75 pitches) and would be available early in game 7.

Am I totally wacked?

42. Paul

October 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Joe, the problem I see with bringing Myers out there to start the 7th is his troubles in the 1st inning this year. The 7th is essentially the 1st and we can’t afford to have him give up a run so I say we go either Madsen/Romero/Durbin and have another reliever warmed up should either of them get in trouble.

43. Griffin

October 29, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Myers must start game 6.

44. Paul

October 29, 2008 at 3:54 pm

And let’s be honest, if this series somehow goes to Game 7 there’s no way we’re putting Blanton out there. The ball is going to Hamels who has carried us this postseason.

45. MP

October 29, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Listen. There will be no games 6 and 7. By saying that, it’s not gonna jinx us. I have confidence in this team that it will end tonight. We all should be.

46. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Myers should only be a very last resort tonight. say its the 15th inning, Lidge is gone and there’s nobody else.

47. Chuck

October 29, 2008 at 3:59 pm

MP….You’re right!

48. SJ Mike

October 29, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Charlie is going to play this like a regular 7th inning on tied game.

The only team that has to play the “all hands on deck” style of baseball is Tampa. The pressure is on them.

49. Joe Green

October 29, 2008 at 4:07 pm

If a Myers starts game 6 and there is a game 7, Moyer starts. Charlie is loyal to his players and would not take that away from Jamie. If he got in trouble early, Hamels would be ready to step in.

50. MikeB

October 29, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Is hard to pinpoint Burrell’s struggles at the plate in the WS. He has a fair number of walks and many foul balls which seems to indicate a timing thing when batting. The Ray’s starting pitching is pretty good and you have to give them credit for holding Burrell down even though I hate to say it. You have to remember that the Phillies did not see the Ray’s starting pitchers this past season except for in spring training so they are not familiar with them except for what they read in the scouting reports. No experiences to draw from. Burrell has that long swing which may or may not work against him or maybe it is that “hole in his bat” which analyst have stated in the past.

I like Pat. He is a really great guy and a valued member of the Phillies. I would be happy to see him return next year but at the same time, I think the Phillies could benefit in the future from a more dependable and better hitting left-fielder who can run. One grows weary of Burrell’s extended slumps and constant strikeouts. Pat’s future is in the American League as a DH and part-time player like Jim Thome.

51. Evrybuddy Hits woohoo

October 29, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Pat is jumping on pitches and pulling balls foul. He needs to wait on the pitch and try to hit it up the middle. Since he has only one at bat left, he has one more chance to correct it. GO PAT

52. Philly Fan from NY

October 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm

ON THE RADIO:

Bottom of the 9th. The score is tied 2-2. David Price pitching. Pat Burrell up with bases empty. There are 2 outs. The count is 3-2.

The 3-2 pitch from Price. It is a long fly ball do deep center field and this baby’s…

OUTA OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!

THE PHILLIES ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Do you really think this would happen?

53. kattapilla

October 29, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Despite his spotty performance and his shortcomings as a player, I like Pat and would like him to stay…but not if he’s going to be asking for zillions more $. You can make a case for keeping him at his current salary, but…unless he’s 100% proof positive going to give us bunch of really good years, it’s pretty dicey.

Having said that, though, I really hope he stays.

54. Philly Fan from NY

October 29, 2008 at 6:55 pm

He can stay only if we have to pay him about $6- 8 Million, not more.

55. SJ Phillies Fan

October 29, 2008 at 8:32 pm

go to SuperLogoz.com and email “Ryan Madson” to the address located on the T-Shirts and Clothing section, you will receive a FREE Phillies SuperLogoz T-Shirt…(first 10 people)

56. Rob Cowie

October 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Yeeahahhahahahahah

57. Rob Cowie

October 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Yeeahahhahahahahah

58. Kruk is the Best-93

October 29, 2008 at 8:39 pm

yeah we are beating a little league team

59. Tim Malcolm