The Phillies Are Champions Of Baseball – Phillies Nation

NJ_CP.jpg

PA_PDN.jpg

PA_MC.jpg

PA_PI.jpg

NY_HOY.jpg

Let’s go back and look at the most exciting 3.5 innings of our lives:

First off, Chase Utley made one of — if not, the best baseball plays I’ve ever seen. His clutch and throw home to throw out Jason Bartlett was unbelievable. That’s intelligent baseball right there. And that saved a potential go-ahead run.

Ryan Madson gave up the home run to Rocco Baldelli, but you cannot stress enough how large he pitched down the stretch. While most of us fawn over Utley and Howard and crew, Madson rose to the level of his homegrown peers with his postseason performance.

How about JC Romero? Clutch, clutch, clutch pitching in the seventh and eighth innings. And BJ Upton proves once again his inexperience with the biggest double play in Phillies history. Upton will be great, but last night he was a goat.

Geoff Jenkins and Pat Burrell reeled off the biggest hits of their lives to get runs going. The former made up for a season to forget with a huge double to right-center; the latter secured his place as a franchise legend with his double to left-center. When the Phils add Burrell to the Wall of Fame 10 years from now, that play will get the biggest cheer.

Pedro Feliz. Wow. What a gigantic hit. Right up the gut. I thought the Utley play changed the game around; this hit secured it. He may have gotten under our skin at times this season, but Feliz really redeemed himself there.

And then the ninth. Brad Lidge was calm as ever, got the job done, sent the city into euphoria.

Unreal. This all seems so weird, so dream-like. Drink it in, everyone. Just drink it in.

1. Don M

October 30, 2008 at 11:17 am

HOLY PHUCKIN SH!T

2. Rob Cowie

October 30, 2008 at 11:42 am

Love the spanish paper

3. Phil

October 30, 2008 at 11:46 am

I still can’t believe it. I need to get to a Modell’s and get some WORLD CHAMPIONS GEAR!

4. Mike T.

October 30, 2008 at 11:49 am

it seems like it never happened. shocked, completely shocked.

5. dan

October 30, 2008 at 11:51 am

Drank it in too much last night. GOD I LOVE THIS TOWN! It still hasn’t sunk in yet. I’m so freaking happy. Can’t wait for the parade!

6. NC Jason

October 30, 2008 at 11:53 am

I never want to wake up from this crazy, unbelievable dream!

7. Phil

October 30, 2008 at 11:55 am

I’m watching sports center and Bustner Olney keeps going on about how the Rays were having bad luck. What a tool.

8. Paul

October 30, 2008 at 11:55 am

What a great win. My heart was pounding like crazy, but they got it done!

Now… does somebody want to ship me out a copy of today’s Daily News or Inquirer? I live in CA.

9. JimC

October 30, 2008 at 11:58 am

I was at modells at 2 in the morning waitng in a 2 hour line. Wow guys last night was honestly the best night of my life. Hanging out with 50 000 of my best friends on broad last night. Wow I’m still not believin this

10. Mike T.

October 30, 2008 at 11:59 am

tim, thanks for all of those awesome screen shots. definitely having all of those printed out.

where did you get them?

October 30, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Yea, everybody played really good, smart baseball last night. Utley was AMAZING with that throw to Ruiz. And Feliz, damn, impressive! And f*cking Brad Lidge had a PERFECT year. I love this team!

And I’m going to the parade tomorrow!!!

12. Todd

October 30, 2008 at 12:07 pm

yeah, i need some papers as well… i’m in nyc, although might be able to find one in barnes & noble. Although, lots of philly peeps here, probably will be sold out.. bastards. Tim, can you guys set up a “send philly papers around the globe” charity thing here? Do your brothers around the world a solid??

October 30, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Go to newseum.org

They have all the front pages of the newspapers. My personal favorites: Bucks County Courier Times and Hoy! Amazing

October 30, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Aurora Sentinel (Colorado) and The Examiner (DC) have pretty good front pages too…!

15. J-Man

October 30, 2008 at 12:35 pm

It was great to see Pat the Bat come up with the big hit for the winning run for what could be his final at bat as a Phillie…Haha i still can’t believe they won it.

16. Tim Malcolm

October 30, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I don’t have front pages to send, but yes, I got those from newseum. Fantastic Web site. BTW, if anyone wants to see where I work, look for Norwich Bulletin (CT).

17. Jeff

October 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Did anyone else almost have a coronary on the fly out to Werth. Great win!! Phils #1

18. Tim Malcolm

October 30, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Also, the Honolulu Advertiser has a big top box with Victorino flying into the pile. Perfect.

19. Grrrumpy Miner

October 30, 2008 at 1:03 pm

NY Daily News and the NY Post showed their imagination……PHI-NALLY With the P insignia.

20. Gavin

October 30, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Is this all there is? (sarcasm)

A true team win and a true team if I’ve ever seen one. I’m telling people down here where I live that Utely makes those plays all the time, but no one but us know it.

I couldnt be happier for Burrell. I know he wont probably be back, so for that to be his last AB as a Phillie, I couldnt be happier. I love that guy.

Did you read Lidge’s lips after the last pitch. He siad, “Oh my God!!! We Did It!!!” It brings me to tears right now as I type this.

21. S.D. Jones

October 30, 2008 at 1:55 pm

22. Todd

October 30, 2008 at 1:57 pm

also, notice the TB bench while Lidge was pitching? A bunch of them were screaming out “PUJOLS!”… maturity at it’s finest.

23. Jack

October 30, 2008 at 1:59 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. What? Oh we won? Yeaaaah! I love you Rollins! I always did. You too, Pat Burrell. Nevermind all the negative comments I wrote all year and in the past 5 years. Myers- you’re awesome. I never said that I hoped you dropped dead. Really, I mean it. I love my teams, expect for McNabb- that piece of garbage. He should be traded. What? Oh they won, yeah! You’re awesome Donovan. You are my favorite until you’re next interception. You better not screw up, you loser. But keep it up, we support you. That is what we are about, real fans!

This was obviously edited for the children who read this blog- because we all know that sitting at a Phillies or Eagles game consists of violence, swearing, puking, fighting, etc.

24. mikemike

October 30, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Todd I hope you are kidding.

25. matt

October 31, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Did anybody notice that the spanish version of the phillies world series win has romero on the cover, and not lidge….