Tonight, It's Cole's Time – Phillies Nation
Posts

Tonight, It's Cole's Time

This was the game Cole Hamels was born to pitch.

Having written that a few times this season, I can honestly say this is the absolute one game Hamels was born to pitch: Win, and the world is yours.

With a win tonight, he would be the first starting pitcher to ever go 5-0 in a postseason. And, debatably, he would have the greatest postseason performance ever. He’d also — in a more invisible sense — etch his name into the history books as one of the franchise’s greatest pitchers. Yes, already.

And of course, he wants to be the guy:

“I hope I’m in that situation, I truly do, because that means we’re one step closer to bringing a World Series to the city of Philadelphia and to our team that’s worked so hard to achieve this.”

You’re in it now, Cole. Now go pitch your brains out.

October 27, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I now officially hate WEATHER.COM:

8pm Light Rain
    Chance Precipitation: 70%

9pm Light Rain
    Chance Precipitation: 80%

10pm Light Rain
    Chance Precipitation: 70%

11pm Light Rain
    Chance Precipitation: 70%

12am Light Rain
    Chance Precipitation: 70%

🙁

Will they play in “light rain”? Will Hamels be able to be lights out and get a good grip on the ball? Sorry , I’m being paranoid but I WANT THIS TO BE PERFECT…

2. ryan

October 27, 2008 at 3:11 pm

when i read the first line of this post i got chills down my spine. i still cannot believe this is actually happening.

3. Michael S

October 27, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Cole is undoubtedly the coolest man alive

4. Jeffrey

October 27, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I keep trying to tell myself this isn’t over yet but it’s…just…so…close….

5. Pingback: A Couple Things

6. Gabriel

October 27, 2008 at 3:22 pm

here we are boys and girls!!! who’s bailing me out of jail after they win and i storm the field tonight! hah

7. Anth

October 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm

2 bottles of champagne ready to go, and no, I’m not talkin about drinking it, I’m talking about spraying it!!!! GO Phils!

8. A.J. Delaware

October 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm

A Couple of Things:

The MVP voting is done before the post season, so tonite really has no weight.

9. SJ Will

October 27, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Actually Tim, Randy Johnson went 5-0 in 2001 and Francisco Rodriguez did it in 2002. Still amazing though, not to ake anything away from Coles.

10. Robbi P

October 27, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Cole has the eye of the tiger. Wish i was there when thunderstruck would be blasting out of the Bank’s speakers. Dear Rays, PREPARE TO BE THUNDERSTRUCK!!!!!

Lets go baby not only for me but for my uncle, aunt and anyone else who endured the hardships! Theres only one OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I just stumbled upon this today and it was just too ridiculous not to post. For those of you who don’t know who this is, its a gay pop band from Florida that had a big hit a few months back and they decided to re-record it with new lyrics in honor of the Rays. I apologize if this was already posted somewhere else, but I figured some people might get a kick out of the lyrics, specifically “Aren’t you glad that Pena is on our side.” Yes, very much so.

12. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 3:50 pm

SJ Will – I thnk Randy Johnson and K-Rod both got W’s from relief appearances though.

13. Robbi P

October 27, 2008 at 3:53 pm

SJ Will, the difference is in starts. NO pitcher has ever done it starting. Krod and Randy did it with relief appearances!

14. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I wonder whether Cole will truely get the acceptance as one of the top pitchers in the game. It seems people have been hesitant to describe him as one of the top pitchers but after the way Beckett was enshrined after last years post-season you’d expect the same for Cole.

15. Angry Mets Fan

October 27, 2008 at 4:02 pm

i’m not here to be a jerk. my team was awful yet again down the stretch. and as much as i hate the phils i respect you guys for playing so well. congrats and good luck i guess. (never thought i’d say that) but for god sakes, enough with the ya’ gotta believe. get your own slogan.

16. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Every fan group for the last forever has used it. Distinctly remember seeing it in Detriot and St Louis for that series.

Grasping for straws Mets fans.

17. Craig

October 27, 2008 at 4:23 pm

NEPA – You are correct. No pitcher in post-season history has ever had 5 wins from 5 starts.

Cole’s going for immortality this evening.

18. Don M

October 27, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Meet the Mets, Great the Mets, Step Right Up And BEAT the Mets…

… that’s catchy…

19. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I thought the Mets slogan was ‘Waaaa Waaaa’

October 27, 2008 at 4:28 pm

LETS GO COLE!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT ANYMORE!!! Phillies thank you!!!!!

21. Joel (GO PHILLIES!)

October 27, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Carlos Ruiz says that catching for Cole Hamels is like having a casual catch with your childhood friend…now that is cool.

Cole, just go out there tonight and have that old fashioned “Pitch & Catch” with your buddy. The world is yours.

GO PHILLIES!

22. kattapilla

October 27, 2008 at 4:29 pm

I danced in the streets back in ’80…If we win this one I’m gonna dance *and* cry.

23. Joel (GO PHILLIES!)

October 27, 2008 at 4:39 pm

METS?? Who are they?!

24. mikemike

October 27, 2008 at 4:44 pm

still say if we are lucky enough to big up big in the ninth like last night. Give the ball for the last inning to Moyer a hometown guy.

25. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I hope we’re up by at least a few in the top of the 7th or 8th…if Charlie wants to sub Bruntlett for Burrell (a la defensive replacement), here’s what I think he should do.

Charlie should put Burrell back in left to start the inning, let the first batter get announced, and then have Pat pulled from the game. Can you imagine the feeling of trotting off the field of the only team you have ever known to a standing ovation and thanks for many years’ service, on the brink of a World Championship? If he’s gonna go, what a way to leave Philadelphia.

26. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Pretty nifty. Keith Olbermann is being interviewed on Daily News Live and is in town to see the game.

He said he’s only been in Philly for regular season games 3 times before and they went to the World Series each time, 80, 83, and 93. He went in August and now they’re in the World Series.

27. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 5:01 pm

We should get Olbermann season tickets then. Or at least kidnap him and force him to go to a game every season.

28. Don M

October 27, 2008 at 5:06 pm

that would be cool as hell… the one guy on the team that celbrated the 1980 World Series…!!! They’ll give it to lidge no matter what im sure

29. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Pretty good chance on rain tonight. What do you think.

30. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Any rain would be light at game time and is not supposed to get strong until later on into the night, but still.

31. Cassie Austin