World Series Game 5 : Rays At Phillies (3-1) – Phillies Nation
Posts

World Series Game 5 : Rays At Phillies (3-1)

Game 5 : 2008 World Series
Phillies lead 3-1
Tampa Bay Rays at Philadelphia Phillies
Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia

8:29 p.m. / 47, light rain
Scott Kazmir (12-8, 3.49 ERA) vs. Cole Hamels (14-10, 3.09 ERA)

If the Phillies win, they are world champions.

News & Notes

Hamels defeated Kazmir in game one of the series. Hamels gave up two runs, while Kazmir surrendered three. … Chase Utley homered off Kazmir in that game. Carl Crawford homerd off Hamels. … Hamels is 1-0 in elimination games and 4-0 in the postseason. … This is just the second game the Phils will play with the chance of eliminating their World Series opponent. The last time that happened was Oct. 21, 1980. The Phillies won. … Carlos Pena and Evan Longoria are a combined 0-for-29 with 15 strikeouts in the series. … If the Phils win tonight, they win their second world championship in 125 years.

The Lineup

Jimmy Rollins / SS
Jayson Werth / RF
Chase Utley / 2B
Ryan Howard / 1B
Pat Burrell / LF
Shane Victorino / CF
Pedro Feliz / 3B
Carlos Ruiz / C
Cole Hamels / P

Your Gamenight Beer

Not that I want to jump the gun, but I was given a recommendation by our own Julie Michael, and it’s fitting. Let’s go with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Yes, celebrate. Celebrate because tonight may very well be the greatest night in Phillies franchise history. Here we are, everyone, at the climax of an incredible season. Time to do it. Time to win. Just win.

Go Phillies!

1. Kyle

October 27, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Delicious beer, perfect for the occasion. Anyone notice the big change in Madden’s lineup?

Kind of interesting that Crawford moved up to 2nd, and Baldelli is in there.

2. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Just had this beer for the first time ever this weekend. Very solid choice. Hopefully its champagne tonight though.

3. Paul

October 27, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Take us to the Promised Land Cole

4. Chutley

October 27, 2008 at 5:09 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LET”S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Looks like light rain in the forecast around gametime and may get stronger as the night goes on.

6. ami

October 27, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Does anyone know somewhere around the stadium me and my friends can go to watch the game. We are under 21, so we need a place that allows people under 21 in. Thank you very much for any answers

7. ami

October 27, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Go PHILLIES!!!
    Pat Burrell!! is, always has been, and always will be my favorite player

8. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Ami, you’re probably only safe at main sports bars like Chickie and Pete’s and all and getting in before 8pm, when they generally do the cutoff for underage.

9. Julie

October 27, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Right on, Tim. Time to celebrate tonight. Celebrate how good it feels to be in the World Series, how amazing it is for our city, how nice it is for Phillies fans to unite over something positive rather than negative, and the special bond this experience has created in our worldwide Phillies family. Beer before and during the game hopefully followed by champagne after. Go Phils!

10. ami

October 27, 2008 at 5:22 pm

thanks SJ Mike

11. Rick

October 27, 2008 at 5:30 pm

LETS GET THIS DONE!!!! LET GO PHILLIES!!!

October 27, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Bud light here I come

13. Brian

October 27, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Not to be picky, but on the biggest night in Philadelphia in the last 25 years why do I put on csn for daily news live and see eagles talk, and 15 minutes later they’re talking sixers?!?!?!?!

Screw all that tonight we will take advantage of this opportunity.

GO PHILLIES

14. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Brian, 60 of DNL’s 90 is Phillies talk. They led off with Keith Olberman and then a writer from Sports Illustrated.

And now obviously Ken Rosenthal.

15. therookie300

October 27, 2008 at 6:13 pm

We have waited a long time for a game like this. This is the team’s time to shine. This is the time for Phils’ fans to shine. This is time for the city of Philadelphia to shine. The time is NOW!!! Lets help the team bring home this title tonight.

LETS GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Brian Michael

October 27, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Phillies Nation does not condone underage drinking.

17. Brian Michael

October 27, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I just posted some photos from last Game 4.

October 27, 2008 at 6:35 pm

In case anyone wants to get MORE pumped:

Love this video.

19. Liz Shaeffer

October 27, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Where is the Phillies Nation meeting in D.C. to watch the LAST game of the World Series?

20. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Manny – Awesome video.

Is there any chance of a rain delay tonight or is it supposed to stay pretty light?

21. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 7:01 pm

A lot of it is high altitude precip and won’t even hit the ground.

22. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Beautiful.

23. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Great video, Manny.

I’m trying to stay as calm as I can. Don’t want to get in over my head just yet. Still gotta win the game first.

24. Griffin

October 27, 2008 at 7:08 pm

Let’s freaking do this!

25. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Figured,i’d try that dogfish head 90 you used as a recommendation last nite…..it has an acquired taste with a roast beef,corned beef hero dripping with its natural juices…….OK,food time is over.Someone before mentioned this is like X-mas eve…you are wrong,its like New Years Eve.Much like the holiday,please make it a safe one……Don’t Drink and Drive!!!!!!

26. TJ

October 27, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Come on Phils.

October 27, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Yo can anyone tell me the name of the song in 1:08 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZPxxHBMD0U

28. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Well,I picked the Rays to win.I hate being wrong! Always have and always will,and yet I admit my prediction was wrong.Well picking the Rays was more for to embarass the Mets esp when they gave Kazmir the shaft.Looks like tonight there might be a celebration.I honestly can’t see this thing going back to Tampa……good luck.

29. LH

October 27, 2008 at 7:34 pm

A World Series Game Four Moment — My daughter and I sat behind home plate in Section 420 row 8. The game was made more special by the presence of about thirty-five Tampa Bay fans five rows in the rear. The kidding and jawing going back and forth during the game was great. Lines of worry rolled over the Ray fan’s faces in the fourth after Howard’s home run. Four innings later their depressed faces continue to droop with Werth & Howard home runs. My daughter and I stayed seated after most fans had left discussing what had transpired. Magic moments like the dance Jimmy did on the third base line to avoid the correct call. How the umpires had occupied a part of the Phillies post season limelight. How both Jimmy and Ryan are in sync. How our pitchers are leading the post season in hitting or it seems so. How calm the dugout looked in the late innings. How my daughter felt in 1993. We compared Ryan to Babe Ruth’s hitting. She compared Cole Hamels to post season greats Josh Beckett, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux. (Her second favorite team is Atlanta.) I tuned in with Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Whitey Ford, and Jim Palmer. The aroma of the World Series victory hung in the air. And we became intoxicated as we drank our fill last night. On our way out, we were surprise to still see the Tamp Bay fans seated, but they probably wanted to keep a low profile before going into the night. I turned towards them and put my hands and fingers in the air displaying a 3-1 World Series Phillies lead. A well dressed Tampa Bay Ray female southern woman stood up, shook her finger, and responded with a serious face saying “That’s not nice, that’s just not nice!” Her polite banter made us both look at each other, smile and laugh, knowing our team was on the winning side of her comment.

October 27, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Awesome story LH

Hey phans, I made this video when the Phillies clinched the division this season… seems like it was yesterday. It’s pretty long but has Pat the Bat’s song. It will pump you up.

Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX-MmxGZAqY

31. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 7:37 pm

REMINISCING ON PAT BURRELL’S CAREER

The hype started well before June 2, 1998. On that date, the Phillies held the first overall selection in the 1998 Amateur Draft, and with it, drafted University of Miami first baseman Patrick Brian Burrell III. It was no secret. The 6’4″ Burrell was the most coveted player in the draft in 1998, after a stunning career at Miami. He was previously selected by Boston in the 43rd round of the 1995 draft, but elected to go to college instead.

Other first round notables from the 1998 draft included Mark Mulder (A’s –2nd overall), Corey Patterson (Cubs – 3rd overall), J.D. Drew (Cardinals –5th overall), Austin Kearns (Reds – 7th overall), Carlos Pena (Rangers –10th overall), Brad Lidge (Astros – 17th overall), and some guy named C.C.Sabbathia (Indians – 20th overall). Some good picks, others not so good. The Royals took pitcher Jeff Austin at 4th, and the Twins took pitcher Ryan Mills 6th. The list goes on from there as you may suspect.

When the Phillies selected Burrell, they had high hopes. Who wouldn’t? In three seasons at Miami, he hit .442 with 61 home runs, 187 RBI’s, and had a slugging percentage of .888 – good for second best in NCAA history. He was assigned to the minors, and rocketed from Class A Clearwater (37 games in 1998) to AAA Scranton by the end of his first full season (117 games for AA Reading in 1999, and 10 games at AAA Scranton). He began 2000 at AAA Scranton, where he
    remained for only 40 games. The end result: 204 minor league games, 725 AB’s, 148 runs, 226 hits, 50 doubles, 8 triples, 40 home runs, 149 RBI’s, and a .312 batting average.

He made his major league debut on May 24, 2000, at the ripe old age of 23. In his first game, he singled off of Octavio Dotel, and later tripled. He went 2-5 with 2 RBI’s and never looked back, hitting .260 with 18 home runs and 79 RBI, finishing fourth in the Rookie of the Year balloting. The next year, he made the move from 1st Base to left field. He responded with another solid season, hitting .258 with 27 homers and 89 RBI. Phillies fans had fallen in love with Burrell, and he hit a career-best .282 in 2002, with 37 homers and 116 RBI. That off-season, the Phillies rewarded him with a six year, $50 million contract extension.

Phillies fans expected big things from the slugger, however, Burrell struggled in 2003 and most of 2004. His struggles caused some to question his toughness, work ethic, dedication, and skills. He rebounded in 2005, hitting .281 with 32 homers and 117 RBI. Pat was back. Over 2006, 2007, and 2008, Burrell continued hitting home runs and driving them in (29/95, 30/97, and 33/86). However, his average “slipped” to .258, .256, and .250 during that time. Rumors began circulating that the Phillies were shopping their big left fielder, but nothing ever happened. Burrell reportedly vetoed a trade to
    Baltimore in 2006, but very little has been publicly spoken about it.

Philly fans wanted Burrell to hit .282 every year while driving in 120 and
    hitting 30+ home runs. That may be unrealistic, however, as stats show Burrell is largely a .250-.260 hitter. Over the years, he has become better at pitch selection, and as a result, his on base percentage has remained near .400 over the past few years. He is patient at the plate when he’s at his best, and has fewer RBI chances hitting in the 5 hole, which can account for his lower RBI numbers. His power numbers have remained consistent over the past few
    years, and a strong 2008 showed he’s not done yet.

Over nine seasons in Philadelphia, Burrell has given us these numbers: 1306 games / 655 runs / 253 doubles / 14 triples / 251 home runs / 827 RBI’s / .257 average. Those numbers are not shabby at all – many players never reach those numbers over an entire career, let alone nine seasons. He’s only 32, and still has a few years of baseball left in him. The question remains on whether the Phillies will offer him a respectable contract, or let him walk away. I urge the front office to get a deal done. Burrell has always been a Phillie, and should be one for several more years.

In March of 2006, I spoke to Pat during several spring training games that I attended. All he wanted to do is win, he said. It wasn’t about him, his stats, or any awards. Like many ball players, he just wanted to win. Watching the NLDS, NLCS, and four games of the World Series, this fact is obvious. He’s like a giddy little kid in the dugout after big hits. He gives it his all out on the field, although he isn’t the fleetest of foot. He wants to win.

If Hamels brings it home tonight, I will cry tears of joy for the city, the
    ballclub, the fans, Shane Victorino’s grandmother, and Charlie Manuel’s
    mother. However, I will cry the biggest tears for Pat Burrell and Jimmy
    Rollins, who have endured painful years with this team during its rebuilding phases. Burrell wants to win more than anything else, and he has wanted to give this city a World Series title since the day he signed. Tonight may be the night, and although he’s struggling in the postseason, the team could not have gotten here without him.

And so we go into tonight’s Game 5 with the possibility this will be the last time we see Burrell in red pinstripes. As strange as that may seem, it is a reality. There will likely be a lot of emotion from him, his fellow players, and the fans. Perhaps we’ve put too much on his shoulders over the years, and expected too much. Perhaps he’s got several more great years left before he hangs it up. Either way, Pat Burrell deserves a World Series ring emblazoned with a Philadelphia Phillies logo on it. And if this is it for “Pat the Bat,” then I leave him with these words: Thank you, and Godspeed.

32. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Which finger did you use? lol

33. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Go Phillies 🙂

34. LH

October 27, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Good video vibes Manny

Grrrumpy Miner – my palms were facing them – funny – a friend of my asked them same thing

October 27, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Holy shit I may just start to cry

36. Pingback: A Couple Things

October 27, 2008 at 7:53 pm

SHUT THE FU*K UP A Couple Things!!!!!!!!!

October 27, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Alright I’m leaving now… LETS WIN THIS!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!! GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 7:57 pm

I’m going to probably watch the game with my family, so doubt I’ll be up here posting much.

Let’s Go Phils!

40. Phils2611

October 27, 2008 at 7:59 pm

You will not see Philadelphia choke tonight. I think we all feel it in our guts that this is our game… I know I do.

I can’t believe how close we are to game time. I can’t wait to sit back, eat the pizza I just ordered, and have a few beers. I just feel bad for my neighbors, because even though I live alone, you’ll be able to hear me throughout the entire complex.

Good luck to the Phillies and us Phans. May we witness the Phillies bring home the championship, tonight!

Hamels FTW. Let’s go boys!!!!

41. Phils2611

October 27, 2008 at 8:01 pm

Just saw a cool flag at the stadium:

“This is our night, ’80 | ’08”

I didn’t even think of that, how cool.

42. Karch

October 27, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Figures, with just one more win needed for a world championship team in Philly, the front page of Yahoo Sports has an article about how brutish we Philly fans are. Here’s the standard copy he basically cut and pasted from any other “Philly fans are bad” article:

“Nobody is safe in front of Philadelphia sports fans. The tradition of booing and heckling at ballparks in the City of Brotherly Love was personified in that spontaneous expression of displeasure over Prohibition, and years later when they booed Santa Claus and pelted J.D. Drew with batteries and, this season, needled Phillies shortstop and reigning MVP Jimmy Rollins for daring to suggest the fans are “frontrunners.”

There he goes with the boo santa claus thing again…

43. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Karch, a guy I went to college with posted that article to me. He’s one of many anti-Philly for the hell of it fans who want nothing more then to see them fail.

I swear, anti-Philly people are angry, angry people….more then what they claim we are.

44. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 8:07 pm

yea I saw that article too, ignored it, and got more excited for the game lol.

45. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Good Luck Boys…

Get out there and stake your claim to Philly history.

GO PHILLIES!

46. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I tell ya….FOX is petty and a bunch of nit-pickers.Phils committed an error in each game in the fall Classic…I can think of 5 words,who gives a rats ass.

47. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Jamie, awesome piece. I really appreciated that.

48. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Great job by Jimmy – terrible by Crawford.

49. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:23 pm

How is “may never have this chance again” part of a pitcher profile?

50. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Hamels may never have this chance again?!?!? FOX is losing credibility in my book.

51. Philly Fan from NY

October 27, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Who threw out the first pitch?

52. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 8:24 pm

a nice quick first inning for Hamels

53. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I read that first pitch would be Robin Roberts.

54. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Thanks, BrewTown. I really think Pat is under-appreciated, and I hate to think this will be his last game with us.

On a happy note, great top of the first. Just about as sure as apple pie and Swiss trains…ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Cole Hamels…

55. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Haha, “The ladies man in left field”

56. Brian

October 27, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Jim Bunning threw out first pitch.

57. Philly Fan from NY

October 27, 2008 at 8:26 pm

That was yesterday. I was there.

58. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:27 pm

I think Roberts was last night. Schmidt may have been tonight, Carlton was Game 3.

59. Brian

October 27, 2008 at 8:27 pm

that’s right my bad……roberts

60. Philly Fan from NY

October 27, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Thanks, Brian.

61. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Oh, just catch without a mask. Rollins will hit it to the outfield anyways, you won’t need it.

62. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Jeez Miner, it took until Game 5 for them to lose credibility? You are more patient than I am…

63. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Geez…I meant a “hit” not a fly out.

64. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 8:31 pm

nice walk Werth

65. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Kazmir has gone 3-2 to the first two hitters. Bet he doesn’t want to do that much more. High pitch count and things will get dangerous on some of these 3-1 counts.

66. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Seems to me like Jason has drawn a lot of walks this post season. Am I remembering it right?

67. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 8:32 pm

lets go Howard

68. CT

October 27, 2008 at 8:35 pm

yuck! wee need a hit here, come on pat!

69. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:36 pm

That third ball was questionable. Come on Pat.

70. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:37 pm

OK, Shane, don’t waste this. Don’t swing like crazy at the high heat!

71. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Yea, if he just pops one up I’ll be so pissed.

72. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:39 pm

A LOT of pitches so far for Kazmir. That was #25 already.

73. CT

Oh yes!

77. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:39 pm

And they’re off!!!!!

78. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:39 pm

YES! Suppose they’ll mention the RISP thing?

79. I know Sal...

October 27, 2008 at 8:40 pm

that’s the 1st 2 nails in the coffin

80. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:40 pm

lol Matty…I haven’t been watching the playoffs for obvious reasons….however my day off and raw doesn’t start til 9…oh and 2-0 Phillies.So of course,i’m a very patient man

81. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Somewhere Victor Zambrano is laughing

82. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Victorino

83. CT

October 27, 2008 at 8:41 pm

PEDRO!

84. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Nice job holding Pat. Hit way too hard for him (or anyone) to score.

85. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Let’s go, Chooch!

86. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 8:42 pm

We need us some Chooch.

87. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Damn

88. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Kazmir looks like Tom Brady from Super Bowl 42….the deer in headlights look.

89. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Great start. Come on Cole.

90. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Not a bad first inning. Too bad to leave those guys on, but hey, 2 for 3 RISP. And a two run lead after one is magnified with King Cole on the mound.

91. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 8:44 pm

That was a great first inning, may have left the bases loaded but Kazmir’s as much on the back foot as your gonna get.

92. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Great…..I just found out,I get a free taco! Kewel!

93. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Scott “The Stud Go-To Guy” Kazmir: 29 Pitches
    Hamels: 7 Pitches

Advantage Phils. Are they going to have David “The Messiah” Price pitch the other 8? Christ, the guy may be a good prospect, but let him spend some time in the big leagues before starting his Hall of Fame bust.

94. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 8:45 pm

It is always nice when you don’t have to pay for gastrointestinal issues…

95. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Desperate times for Pena.

96. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Bunt for a hit? Can you spell Despirashun?

97. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Just did some 2 cherry bombs, 1 per each run, a playoff tradition so far.

98. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

lol Pena and Longoria are out on 2 pitches

99. CT

October 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

how can i get a hat with the ear flaps like j-roll and vic are wearing?

100. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Wouldn’t it be Great…how bout history….a no-hitter for Cole Hamels.

101. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Miner, I was thinking the same thing. That would top off anything – a no hitter to clinch the World Series? Fuggedaboutit!

102. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Cole’s cruisin.

103. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Bot of 2nd….time for RAW

104. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 8:51 pm

21 outs

105. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Rob, we’re starting the countdown already? Damn!

106. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Wrestling Phans…….Conrad Epraim….aka S.D. Jones has passed away.

107. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Well, that was a ball.

108. josh in dc

October 27, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Anyone notice the wind is blowing as much as Joe Buck?

109. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 8:56 pm

My outs countdown started at 4pm.

110. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Werth is contributing to the pitch count.

111. Bill

October 27, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Phillies could be one of the worst teams to win the World Series.

112. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:00 pm

48 through two innings for Kazmir. Ouch. He’ll be lucky to go 5 at this rate. Then four innings of the Messiah, David Price!

113. Phils2611

October 27, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Ah — well all the haters find their excuses to make themselves feel better about their team not winning, we’ll enjoy it. Because we know that the Phillies are the best team in ALL OF BASEBALL in ’08. Suck it up and take it. Geez.

114. Tyler

October 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Congrats, Phillies deserved it.

115. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Bill, cram it up your Met loving ass. They beat the teams they needed to beat. Who do you think is better? Angels (choke)? Yankees (choke)? Red Sox (choke)? Cubs (choke choke choke)?

116. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm

OK…..just figured it out…….Put the Pix on Pix on the TV.So now I watch RAW and the Fall Classic.

117. Bill

October 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm

The Phillies will be the best team in all of baseball after tonight. The ’80’s team was amazing. This team is not.

118. Phils2611

October 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I can’t really think of anything else to say.

They really are. There’s no other words.

119. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I remember when King King beat SD Jones in 9 seconds…

120. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:07 pm

King Kong Bundy

121. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Bill , Are you OK!!

122. Michael S

October 27, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Go away Bill

123. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Bill is an idiot

124. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Trolls are back. Go figure.

125. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Hey Bill, tell us how our ass tastes…

126. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Who cares about trolls? Our Phils are up 2-0 in a possibly WS clinching game. Screw em.

127. Bill

October 27, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Do you really believe that this team compares to the ’80’s team?

128. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Kasmir is settling down not good

129. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Who cares right now Bill……get a freaking life!!!!

130. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Settling down but his pitch counts too high for him to be settled for long.

131. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Bill, it’s hard to compare teams this far apart. The game 28 years ago was VERY different than it is today. The 2008 team is better than the 2007 team, which is better than the 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 teams. That’s about it. I don’t even want to compare then to the ’93 team. That team was a great bunch of misfits who did what nobody ever thought they would do. They fell short. But to compare them…I don’t do that. You can go ahead all you want, but don’t shortchange the 2008 team for what they have done. At this point, and the way it looks, they will be the best team of 2008. And that’s all that matters!

132. Michael S

October 27, 2008 at 9:15 pm

To Bill- Why don’t you tell the Mets not to offer a contract extension to an undeserving manager…Then tell me who won the division the last two years…Keep saying the Phils aren’t good, it still won’t put the Mets into the playoffs.

Don’t get complacent Phillies, we need more…

133. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:16 pm

J Roll!!!!

134. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Good fundementals on D from Feliz there so Rollins could make that play.

135. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Not Good

136. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Bill……..ever look at the 2006 cardinals……eventho they beat my Amazins……..83-79 record pretty much says it all.These Phillies deserve the respect of a champion if/when they win.

137. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:19 pm

not good if pena and longoria are breaking their 0-fer streaks

138. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Cole needs to stop this right here

139. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:21 pm

It’s as if the rain has him all messed up or something

140. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 9:21 pm

nice DP

141. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Settle down, Cole. It’s all good.

142. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:21 pm

woo, needed that DP there. nice.

143. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Big DP.

144. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

What about Utley’s D there! Great adjustments

145. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

See? It’s all good. Now let’s get some more runs!

146. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Whew!

147. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Great D!

Sorry about the run guys – I left the room to tuck in my kid and the hits came. I promise not to leave my seat again!

148. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Matty…I remember seeing SD Jones get his asskicking not only by King Kong Bundy,but Roddy Piper,Iron Mike Sharpe,the ring announcer,the announcers and the popcorn vendor on a constant basis.

149. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Next time throw your child a flashlight and wish them luck Brewtown, lol….

150. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Time to buy some insurance!!!! Insurance runs…that is…

151. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Pena’s ball was hit well, but Longoria’s was just a routine grounder just out of J-Roll’s range. Not like he killed it or anything. Cole will be okay, we just need to create a few more runs for insurance. After all, when they bring Price in, we won’t get a hit off of him, because he’s unhittable, remember? Joe Buck said so.

152. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Hey Brew, just make sure it’s the SAME seat!

153. Bill

October 27, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Good D to get out of the inning. As much as it hurts to admit it is the Phils year.

154. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Way to go Bill.. Nice observation

155. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Hope he’s ok

161. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Bring ’em home Jimmy

162. Bill

October 27, 2008 at 9:29 pm

He needs to continue… he’s the mvp

163. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Bill…….He WILL continue

164. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhh Its coming down pretty good now.

165. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Get to the bottom of the 5th…that’s first and foremost.

166. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Come on Wacko.

167. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Let’s go Jayson!!!!!!

168. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Nice. What’s Kazmir’s pitch count?

169. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:33 pm

That 1-1 pitch was #76.

How about an oppo HR here?

170. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:33 pm

he’s a 78

171. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Johnny Wacko needs to lace one here…

172. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Great AB Work the Count!!

173. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:34 pm

This is another great at-bat.

174. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:34 pm

I love it when people misspell Chooch as Cooch. Brings out the 14 year old in me…

175. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:35 pm

To Mets fans tear up a little watching Kazmir pitch?

176. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:35 pm

this’ll be the 83rd pitch here

177. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Nice!!!!!

178. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Cole’s been out there a long time.

179. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Great at bat, even though I like Werth’s chances against Kazmir more than Utley’s.

180. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Some runs here and you’d think Kaz is done.

181. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Any doppler radar, is this rain going away?

182. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Let’s go for the kill…….right now!!!

183. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:38 pm

C’Mon Chase!

184. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 9:38 pm

haha, my cat’s sitting right in front of the tv watching the game!

185. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Blow this thing open, Chase!

186. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Matty, no it’s not. It’s all green around the Philly area.

187. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:39 pm

This has delay written all over it.

188. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Take ball four and get our pitcher out of the rain…..

189. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm

They’ve got to get to the Bottom of the 5th with this lead. They have to!

190. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Georgie, my dogs are out of control!

191. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm

F*CK

192. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Phooey.

193. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Dammit! Was hoping for a walk then the BIG guy…

194. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Yeah, how many WS games have been called after 5?

195. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Well that sucked

196. Kevin Orris

October 27, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Come to MajorLeagueReport.com for a live blog and fantasy baseball questionnaire!

197. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 9:43 pm

We might have not capitalized but it’s bullpen season real soon.

198. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

NOT GOOD!

199. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Oh my aching ass….

200. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

WTF!?!?

201. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

What was That!!!

202. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Just checked the radar on itellicast.com, really doesn’t look good, alot of rain circulating around slowly moving from the south, it looks like.

203. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

blah, come on Hamels!

204. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Okay, its rain delay time. Bring on the tarp before someone gets really hurt….

205. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Keeyyyrist! I know it’s windy and all, but you gotta make that. Let’s get the DP.

206. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

what a play by Utley

207. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

CHASE!!!!

208. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

209. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm

That was awesome….

210. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Oh my God! What a play! ONE MORE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

211. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

212. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm

DE-FENSE!

213. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Now its an official game…….Now do you really want the Phillies to win this way? Yes I know by hook or by crook,a win is a win.

214. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Okay, lets let our pitcher dry off now and get some more runs.

215. Brian

October 27, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Game is official…..stop it now!!!!

216. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:47 pm

YES! The game is now official! So if there’s a rain delay and we are unable to play any more because of the rain, we win!

217. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Cole’s finger looks fine.

Oh, and Jimmy owes Chase a six-pack!

218. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Hell Yes I’ll take a World Series championship through a rain-shortened game!

219. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Miner, I would prefer they don’t win like this, but a win is a win. I’d rather see Lidge come in to close out the 9th, but we may not get that unfortunately.

220. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 9:50 pm

We just had this convo. We want to win this in 9, no matter how long it happens.

221. CT

October 27, 2008 at 9:50 pm

buck and mccarver are a bunch of whiners

222. AC in NJ

October 27, 2008 at 9:51 pm

kazmir self destructs this inning!!

223. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I want Burrell to get a hit now, come on Burrell. You need a hit.

224. AC in NJ

October 27, 2008 at 9:52 pm

c’mon Burrell – end your Phillies career with a home run now!

225. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Make good contact here, Pat. Git ‘er done!

226. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 9:54 pm

this is bad for us if there’s a delay, we need Cole out there

227. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Eww, looks like Kazmir stepped in dog poop.

228. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 9:55 pm

go phils

229. Mike W.

October 27, 2008 at 9:56 pm

the world series is not ending due to rain. i promise you that.

230. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 9:57 pm

bye Kazmir

231. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Good bye!!!!!!!!!!!!

232. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I’ll take it, but I really think those 2 pitches were strikes on Burrell.

But, I’ll take it. Gotta get more runs because of these elements!

233. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Nicely done, Pat! On base 2 of his 3 at bats. I’ll take it…I like Victorino up in this spot. Does he bunt them over? I’d try to bunt down the line and see if he can get an infield single. If he can’t, then oh well…it moves the runners over. If he does, bases loaded and no outs.

234. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I’m afraid if there’s a rain delay it’s going to be a long one, that would suck in many ways.

235. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 9:59 pm

yeah! bye kazmir!

236. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Georgie, I’ll stay up no matter what but I would hate for my 11 yr old to miss the end

237. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm

1st the Soul now the Phils…what a year!

238. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Georgie, my DVR cant hold a rain delay that long….

239. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 10:01 pm

I tell ya….if the Phils win tonigt and the festivities go on the field as Joe Buck is the Master of Ceremonies CBP should boo him louder than Santa Claus.I think it’d be a better idea for Harry Kalas to MC this thing.I swear I still hate McCarver and his fake excitement for the Mets in the Mid 80’s to the late 90’s all because he was never a Met or a Mets fan in my book…..gee where’s Neon Deion Sanders with a bucket of water when you need him?

240. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:01 pm

“The Soul”???? Arena football hardly counts.

241. Mike W.

October 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I think that was sarcasm

242. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Yeah, but Dave, think about it, the Soul was all we had at the time. I agree with you tho

243. Samiam

October 27, 2008 at 10:04 pm

well, i Don’t entirely trust Fox Trak for the strike zone, both balls to burrel looked low to me. if it had been shane or chase, then yes thats a strike, but i wouldnt expect buck or mccarver to know that
    PS. Does mccarver really not like the phils or what?

244. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Chuck, seeing as how this doesn’t happen that often in Philly, I don’t blame you for wanting your 11 year old to see the end.

245. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:06 pm

He likes the
    phillies

246. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:07 pm

as hard as it is to hear… the world doesn’t want the phils to win

247. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Goddamm popups.

248. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Come on, Chooch!

249. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 10:10 pm

This games turning into a mess…

250. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Ugh.

UGH!

251. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:10 pm

TYaeh, dave…they’re killing us

252. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm

darn ruiz

253. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Jesus, these popups drive me nuts. They’re swinging at everything – especially the high stuff. Too bad Feliz couldn’t straighten out that one – it was a bomb!

254. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I wonder how this is gonna affect Cole now.

255. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Chuck, I was wondering the same thing. 12 outs to go.

256. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I’m glad to be watching from my nice warm living room, it looks mighty nasty out there.

257. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm

he is a stallion! he will be fine! umps are in our favor tonite

258. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 10:13 pm

How could none of those batters have grounded out to score a run?

259. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 10:14 pm

It was snowing out here today.

260. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Georgie, I tried real hard to get “reasonable” tix for tonight…..kind of glad I wasn’t successful

261. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm

if it was snowing i guess hell is finally freezing over since the phils will win the series

262. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Are they signalling for the tarp?

263. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Chuck, what was “reasonable”….. ??? I’m thinking up to “organ donation” would have been reasonable….

264. Brian Michael

October 27, 2008 at 10:16 pm

The infield looks real bad. The ground crew is working on it every chance they get. This might get delay but probably not called.

265. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Whew. Okay, they weren’t.

266. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Yeah, Chuck, I checked around too, but there’s no way I’d spend that kind of money on a game, Christ, the electric bill is soon gonna look like a mortgage payment!

267. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I can’t see a rain delay…with the activity of the field crew,they want this game intact…..boy oh boy,where is Neon Deion Sanders with a bucket of water when you need him?

268. isaiah

October 27, 2008 at 10:17 pm

A delay would surely hurt the phils with hamels having such a low pitch count. Lets go phils lets knock some of those guys in dang it

269. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:19 pm

stop hating on McCarver. thank god the umps suck

270. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:19 pm

We got a gift there. 11 outs left.

271. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:19 pm

10 to go.

272. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm

It’s looking good!

273. lets throat punch Buck

October 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm

looked like Howard coulda slipped there

274. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm

I remember photographing a York College soccer playoff game in weather like this about 5 years ago during an internship. Miserable, pouring rain. Camera somehow made it out unscathed but my pocket with a nextel in it filled with water.

MISERABLE weather but decent pictures. Taught me the value of waterproof shoes and good raingear.

275. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm

What an ugly game. I can’t believe they’re still playing this.

276. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm

I hear ya Georgie……most people on craigslist were whores but there were some that wanted just a little more than face value. Trouble is, THOUSANDS were competing for them. i guess my limit was 300 each and I knew I had no chance.

277. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm

They should take a break to change uniforms. It can’t be pleasant playing in cold damp clothing.

278. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm

OLE by J-Roll

279. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Georgie, what was the going rate for tickets??

280. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm

ugly game…ugly series

281. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Dave, standing room only were going for around $650-$700 a ticket from what I saw on Stubhub.

282. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Man look at those puddles

283. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm

There’s a small pond forming at first base now.

284. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Buck is an idiot. “If I’m Joe Maddon, I ask to have the game called due to poor conditions.” Uh, that’s all fine and dandy, but you’re behind and it’s the clinching game of the World Series. The game’s official, which means you’re going home.

What an idiot.

285. Pete

October 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Anyone see a problem with the Rays’ running game because of the wet field?

286. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm

this isn’t safe

287. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Buck and McCarver are making it seems like they’re going to have to run through World War trenches. “How can you even slide in that?” Trust me Joe, if Upton takes off and slides, he’s not gonna abruptly stop moving.

288. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Buck and McCarver need to friggen go. All that bitching and pissing and moaning about the Rays not being able to steal and what does Upton do? Yeah, he steals second. Jesus.

289. Kyle

October 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Jesus, this game should be stopped. This field is ridiculous.

290. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Dave, same here-SRO up to $700, seats in upper decks over $1000, too steep for me.

291. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm

SRO for 700?

….. gotta say, I’d consider it only for me. My fiancee would leave me if i did…..

292. lets throat punch Buck

October 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm

this is where the nerves start up

293. Pingback: A Couple Things

294. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm

I’m not sure it is advantage pitchers.

295. lets throat punch Buck

Doh.

302. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Shit

303. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I didn’t leave my chair – I swear!

304. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Oh, this sucks .

305. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm

God Damnit!

306. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Pena is a good hitter. Very clutch.

307. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm

None of these umpires should ever work again. I can’t believe they’re letting the ws be played in these conditions. Bunch of putzes!

308. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Whew!!!!!

309. lets throat punch Buck

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Come on bats……..

310. CT

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm

we need a run dammit. let’s get hamels that W

311. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm

k time for the Phillies to do something

312. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm

yes victorino you are the man

313. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Now that it is tied I think they should delay this sucker.

314. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I’m worried. We need runs. Lotsa runs.

315. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I’m sorry, but this really feels like an unfair game to both ends.

It isn’t about talent anymore. It is whoever survives the weather the most.

316. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I don’t know if the umpires are the ones deciding the game. I think MLB executives do that in the World Series.

317. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Maybe you should SWITCH chairs, Brew

318. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm

haha-“lets throat punch Buck”, I like the name.

319. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm

C’Mon Phils….take this game HERE in Philly

320. Pingback: A Couple Things

321. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm

game should be stopped now at 2-2. ridiculous. mccarver and buck are just voicing how the world feels about philly.

322. lets throat punch Buck

October 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm

game delayed

323. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Jamie: Bud Selig decides on playing/not playing WS games. It’s not the umps.

324. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Now they delay it once Tampa ties it up.

325. james

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

it’s as miserable t watch this in my living room as it is for those people in the stand. god damn it.

326. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

This figures. They wait for Tampa to tie it before they pull the Tarp…..

327. Mike W.

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Yeah this isn’t even baseball any more. It’s complete luck with these conditions.

328. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

These F*ing umps purposely waited…I’ll bet ya

329. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

So after the Rays tie it up they put the game in a rain delay?

330. Pingback: A Couple Things

331. Mike W.

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Yep…absolute horsecrap. Just unbelievable.

332. Keith

October 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm

geesh, we have to wait now 🙁

333. CT

October 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm

so i guess if cole can’t come back up, he won’t have a chance to get a win?

334. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Well, we’ll be suspended until tomorrow evening at least. 100% chance of rain throughout the night.

335. J-Man

October 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm

The Rays tie it and they all sudden decide to delay it?What a joke these umps are.

336. Phils2611

October 27, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Well bed time for me. Even if this game does finish, it won’t be until 3:00 AM…

I must say, I couldn’t be more pissed. Ugh.

337. AC in NJ

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Unf*cking believable, god damn MLB horsecrap.

338. Anth

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

You knew they would call it when the Rays tied it. This is BS…they wanted to save the Rays chances…f’in wack!!!!

339. Pingback: A Couple Things

340. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Here is the radar: http://www.acouplethings.com/blog/2008/10/weather-forecast-for-tomorrow/

They aren’t playing this thing tonight. Maybe not till Wednesday.

341. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

It’s so obvious they were waiting to call it until the Rays tied it up or went ahead.

342. Mike

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

What the hell. What the hell

Sure, now they call rain delay.

343. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Alrighty, Weather Underground looks pretty bad at this point.

“Suspended Game?” WTF?!

344. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I really don’t know what to say. I completely speechless and numb. It’s as if we lost or something

345. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 10:35 pm

This is complete and total horseshit. I can’t believe this is happening.

346. I know Sal...

October 27, 2008 at 10:36 pm

is it me, or does it seem like everyone is pissed about the weather…and acting like it Philly’s fault

347. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:36 pm

This is a bad situation, but I don’t know what else they could have done.

348. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Chuck, it’s always something. Unbelievable.

349. AC in NJ

October 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm

i cannot believe how we have been jobbed by the umps, by MLB, by the media…

350. Anth

October 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Oh and those of you who are going to bed? WTF!?!?

351. BrewTownPhilsPhan

October 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm

We haven’t lost. We have a three and a half inning game coming up – and we get to bat first and last.

352. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Bud Selig is a total, unashamed C

353. Pete

October 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Do you think this is somehow karmic retribution for the mustard packets?

354. Pingback: A Couple Things

355. james

October 27, 2008 at 10:38 pm

this is the most f—ing annoying day of my life

356. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm

What’s a C?

357. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm

If they make the Phillis play the rest of Game 6 in Tampa all hell is going to break loose…

358. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Thanks FOX for holding the damn games so friggin late

359. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Look everyone…….this sucks…………but we have to just collect ourselves and be confident that we WILL win this game. This thing ends here!!!! No umpire, no media, no MLB is gonna get in our way.

360. J-Man

October 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm

The rains what screwed Hamels up too he was crusing along until it started raining…This game should of been delayed a couple innings ago…These umps should be fired after this series.

361. I know Sal...

October 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm

sure seems like the game has been called…ALOT of fans leaving

362. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm

excuse me Game 5

363. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm

C is a letter. Could mean cookie. Means whatever you want it to mean. Me, I think it means C and I’ll stay with that.

This is a family site and I’m not gonna do Tim the disservice…..

364. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm

The concern is that if they don’t get this in tonight when will they get it in?

365. Grrrumpy Miner

October 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm

This is bad……if tonight gets rained out,and it looks like rain all day tomorrow………IF it goes into wed. afternoon,I may take a trip to an almost empty CBP if it goes into wed. afternoon and try to get in.

366. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Cornhole?

367. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Aparently if the games called here, they’ll return tomorrow and unless the Phils complete the inning the score would revert to 2-1 at the top of the inning to start tomorrow…

368. Paul

October 27, 2008 at 10:42 pm

They had to stop the game. They should have done it earlier.

Just miserable conditions.

369. Joel

October 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm

They should NOT allow the balance of this game go to TB…its OUR field so it should play out in Philly

370. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Blah, Blah, Blah with the officials and how unfair it all is. If that were Philly down a run, we would bitch if we didn’t get a chance. It is even that way in high school. Can you imagine the phils winning on a rain suspended game to win the series- pathetic! There would be an * next to the 2008 World Series Champs.

371. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Matty…. sounds good I suppose 😉

372. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Tomorrow’s weather looks really bad.

373. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Scholar, I noted MLB execs were the ones that make the call, not the umps.

Now, how much do you all bet if it rains tomorrow and they can’t play, Selig makes Philly fly to Tampa to play the rest of the suspended game on Wednesday. That way, if there is a Game 6, they can play it Wednesday night. I would be so Goddamned pissed if they did that, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

374. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 10:43 pm

And what was McCarver saying about it being embarrassing or something, like it’s the city’s fault it’s raining? WTF?

“C” stands for cherub, I think.

375. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:44 pm

I doubt Selig would do that. That would be ridiculous.

376. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 10:44 pm

It’s bottom of the 6th, 2-2 and we have the best bullpen in baseball. But, it still feels like we just lost.

377. Chase Mutley

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Can someone please ban this “A Couple Things” faggot? Hack blogger.

378. Matty

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Chimp? Chump? Candy-ass? I have plenty more but I am not going to get too filthy here. On the bright side the Titans should beat the Colts and we all get to laugh at Peyton Manning during the rain delay.

379. Mike

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

They should have called it before it was an official game. File this one under “no one could have suspected.”

380. Chuck

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Jamie it would be like his decision in the All Star game a few years back……Selig is a moron!!

381. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

As if I need to wonder if it is rigged?

382. Chase Mutley

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Can someone please ban this “A Couple Things” faggot? Hack blogger.

383. Dave

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

As if I need to wonder if it is rigged?

384. Scholar in Training

October 27, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Well it does feel like the momentum has shifted Tampa Bay’s way. But that’s ok. By the time they play this game again it will have subsided. 🙂

385. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Well, at least Selig confirmed the game will be held in Philadelphia irregardless of whether they have to wait until Thanksgiving or not – it will not be moved to Tampa to finish. THANK GOD!

386. Rosco

October 27, 2008 at 11:20 pm

SO…It’s Not Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

387. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 11:20 pm

So are we thinking there’s zero chance this game starts back up tonight? Like they won’t randomly start it back up at like 2 AM right?

388. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Nevermind, just saw that they suspended it.

389. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I have this sinking feeling this will kill us……..

October 27, 2008 at 11:23 pm

I feel like we lost even though technically we have the upper hand (4 innings for us, 3 for the Rays). But I just feel like the world is conspiring against us. Hamels will probably be done for the rest of the game; we got 6 innings from him when we were all expecting more.

That being said, I think MLB had to do this. The game was getting too sloppy and we were not playing well under those circumstances. This sucks so much. I didn’t even finish my beer.

391. Dice

October 27, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Bud Selig just admited he broke the rules instead of following the rule book. Cause there is not special rules for the World Series.

Pure BULL.

392. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Look, I don’t want to win this game by the game being called….

I just think they waited too long to delay the game to begin with. They saw the radar.

This game should have started an hour or two earlier.

393. Rob Cowie

October 27, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Worst shit ever

394. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Selig says that when it does restart, it will be at a regular game time – 8:35 p.m. Eastern, not in the middle of the day. He explained that he wanted to give fans plenty of warning, and wanted to hold it at a normal time. If it doesn’t go tomorrow night (which it doesn’t sound like will happen), it will likely be Wednesday night. I guess the bright spot is even if we lose Game 5 and Game 6, Hamels could pitch Game 7 on Friday night on short rest if he had to. Of course, we don’t want that to happen.

395. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Is Selig senile?

396. NEPA

October 27, 2008 at 11:26 pm

So wait, now that the game is suspended. Is MLB saying that if the Rays hadn’t tied the game up then they still would have suspended the game this quickly and the Phillies would be World Champions right now? Or would they have waited basically all night to call the game?

397. NJ (Go Joe Bombton!)

October 27, 2008 at 11:26 pm

I actually feel sick. Kazmir tanked it and the Phils had it set-up for Cole to go deep but Selig has prioritized the Rays fantasy story and tomorrow’s been handed to them on a silver platter with a big eat up sign.

398. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Why do I feel this is going to absolutely kill us………

399. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Again, as I stated earlier, if it were the Phillies we would have wanted the same treatment. I think it would be bush-league to win the world series due to rain in the 6th

October 27, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Too much drama!!!!!!

401. Georgie

October 27, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Gillick looks thoroughly disgusted.

402. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Way too much drama. The game went way too long. If I were a Rays fan I would be pissed if the game got called early

October 27, 2008 at 11:29 pm

I feel the exact same thing, SJ Mike. This feels like this will bring our team down and give the Rays hope, especially since Hamels is out of the equation.

404. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 11:29 pm

I agree that I would rather end the series normally (i.e. 9 inning game – or 8 1/2, that is), but I also believe Selig’s “I would have continued it anyways” is horseshit. If the Rays were ahead, I wonder if he would have done the same. Joe Buck was sure excited at the prospect of taking the series back down to Florida and their 17,000 fans.

405. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 11:32 pm

I guess Hamels is the only pitcher in the rotation that can win… this would have been suspended regardless of the teams. The umps and Selig let it go too long and then it was too late to call it when the Rays had a man in scoring position. The Phillies are not liked by the media. I was just watching local coverage and they were saying that fans were dumping beers on 9 year olds who were wearing Rays gear.

406. SJ Mike

October 27, 2008 at 11:33 pm

This was such freakin’ ridiculous. They should have reverted back to the top of the 6th. Mitch Williams said it best.

407. Phils2008

October 27, 2008 at 11:34 pm

I can’t believe it. I think MLB is trying to get this to game 6 for ratings an advertising dollars!

408. Brian

October 27, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Why does their pitching staff get to start the bottom of the 6th on a dry field. Game should have been stopped before the top of the 6th. Play on tomorrow from that point.

This far worse than the all star disaster. Selig is a jackass. this might be the most pissed off I’ve ever been

409. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Mitch Williams just wants the attention taken off the 93 bomb to Joe Carter.

410. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 11:36 pm

NEPA, Selig said that even though the rule book said the game could be called after it was official (when the Phils lead), he would not have allowed it to be officially called. He would have suspended it anyways, irregardless of the rule book, just so the series didn’t end on a rain-shortened game. I understand what he means, but if it’s in the rule book another way, then change the Goddamned rule book. Don’t make shit up on the fly – especially in the World Series for Christsakes.

411. Kruk is the Best-93

October 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

WTF really… lets just take the title. This may go down as the worst officiated WS of all time. This will look like a joke whoever wins.

412. Jamie

October 27, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Kruk, shut the fu*k up with your nonsensical bullshit. You’re trying to start fights in here – plain and simple. Hamels the only starter that can win? Yeah, see the way Moyer and Blanton pitched, you idiot. Man, I hate trolls. You’re no Phillies fan, and if you claim you are, you’re the kind I hate.

413. Don M

October 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

wonder if the 9-year old Rays fans were the same little kids that were yelling FCK the Phillies at my friends down in Tampa??

That happends everywhere.. people need to get over stuff like that.. somebody threw a smokebomb into the NJ Devils bench in OT of the Flyers game the other night… there are a$$holes everywhere, but we have the spotlight on us

414. MICHELLE

November 2, 2008 at 1:46 am

YEA EXACTLY WHO IN GODS NAME WILL ALLOW THEIR CHILD TO WEAR ANOTHER TEAMS SHIT IN PHILLY ARE THEY NUTS…. MUST BE…. UR AN IDIOT….THANK YOU FOR WHOEVER DUMPED A BEER ON THAT 9 YR OLD….. AWESOME…WE GOT SOME SICK FANS BABY AND ALWAYS HAVE SO GET OVER IT…… WE ARE RATED NUMBER 1 MOST LOYAL AND PASSIONATE FANS….. WE GOT THE BEST BULLPEN IN THE LEAGUE AND A YOUNG TEAM SO WHOEVER HATES US MUST NOT NO ALOT BOUT SPORTS…. SEE YA ASSES NEXT YEAR… GO PHILLIES

415. Pingback: Chuck

416. msn autos

August 2, 2010 at 7:13 am

Noul Renault Megane CC urmeaza a fi lansat, iar specialistii in suspensii de la H&R au pregatit deja o serie de accesorii care vor da mai multa dinamica coupeul ‘topless’ francez.