100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 95 – Phil Collins

Phil Collins
Relief Pitcher
1929-1935

Career w/Phillies: 1236.2 IP / 72-79 / 4.67 ERA / 403 K

Pitching in the live ball era, Collins — not the musician — was a pretty decent arm for some dreadful Phillies teams. He went 16-11 for a 1930 Phillies team that finished 52-102. And in 1934, his 4.18 ERA was very good, considering the league averaged a 4.71 ERA. Shuttling between starting and relieving throughout his Phillie career, Collins was nicknamed “Fidgety Phil,” probably for his horrible command (he walked 497 while striking out 423 during his career).

Comment: An underrated arm in the live ball days, Collins won’t be remembered for being dominant. Instead, he’ll be remembered for being the best pitcher during a string of bad Phillie teams. While Chuck Klein was drilling the ball all over Baker Bowl, Collins was keeping it steady on the mound.

1. Phil

December 22, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, so hold on.

2. Greg V.

December 22, 2008 at 2:17 pm

“There’s a girl that’s been on my mind, all the time, Su Susodio….”

3. Phil

December 22, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Easy lover
    She’ll get a hold on you believe it
    Like no other
    Before you know it you’ll be on your knees
    She’s an easy lover
    She’ll take your heart but you wont feel it
    She’s like no other
    And I’m just trying to make you see

God Phil Collins is so horrible.

4. Chuck P

December 22, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Really, Phil Collins?

Here are my thoughts about Collins making this list…

You know I want to but I just can’t take this.
    You know I’d add him ’cause he played for keeps.
    Although he played tough, he’s not making my list
    You know I want to but I’m in too deep.

5. Chuck P

December 22, 2008 at 2:42 pm

I know… I’m a turd.

6. Griffin

December 22, 2008 at 3:01 pm

hysterical posts

7. T Marty

December 22, 2008 at 4:04 pm

There must be some misunderstanding. There must be some kind of mistake.. actually i prefer Trick of the Tail, and the Gabriel Era more…

8. T Marty

December 22, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Tim, you know until we start seeing more familiar names, (like Nino Espinosa) we’re gonna have some fun with this. But it’s good to know your history, and this is a great way to pass the time while waiting for pitchers and catchers to report, (and we ain’t lettin’ some lousy football team ruin our fun).

In other news, i’ve been holding out cause i knew it would be under the tree, but i caught Santa Wife wrapping “The Perfect Season” and i that’s it, i can’t wait any longer, we’re watching it tonight!

9. Jason B

December 22, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Can’t you see this is the land of confusion…

10. Woodman

December 22, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Since this is the “Genesis” of this countdown, I can’t wait for the final ten. Until then, everyone have “Another Day in Paradise”!

11. Gavin

December 22, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Tim I truely appreciate your research on compiling this list. Can you you name some of the more recent Phillies that didn’t make your list?

12. Rob Cowie

December 22, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Steve Jeltz just missed this list, landing at 103 just behind Tim McCarver and Mark Portugal who’s bubbles were burst by the Phillies Nation selection committee .

13. Tim Rich

December 22, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I am really enjoying these posts. I hate waiting for Spring, but this will definitely help. Thanks.

14. Grrrumpy Miner

December 22, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Since this is now a Phil Collins tribute,I was wondering…What exactly is Abacab?However how can you leave Steve Jeltz off the list?The hair kinda reminded me of Soul Glo from Coming To America,Do You Remember?

15. Brian

December 22, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Miner- if you are serious abacab is the notes for the beginning of the song a b a c a b…..Love the soul glo also

Tim I know its tough to come up with 100 great players from this franchise. Keep up the great work.

How long till pitchers and catchers?

16. Tim Malcolm

December 23, 2008 at 12:59 am

“No Reply At All” is my fav. off “Abacab.”

Call me a sucka, but I love “Follow You Follow Me.” Moment of sell out.

As for solo Phil, I’m all about “Something Happened on the Way to Heaven” and “Easy Lover.”

she’ll put on a hold on you. believe me.

17. KM

December 23, 2008 at 1:12 am

Number 94 – Eric Clapton

Seriously, number 94 – Ricky Otero, haha.

18. Grrrumpy Miner

December 23, 2008 at 2:19 am

Brian,I actually was tongue in cheek serious…however Tim,wasn’t Easy Lover a duet from Earth,Wind and Fire lead man Philip Bailey.Also Tim,you Knew this choice would bring in some Genesis/PC punchlines.

19. Grrrumpy Miner

December 23, 2008 at 2:21 am

Brian,I actually was tongue in cheek serious,and now I know.You learn something new every day…however Tim,wasn’t Easy Lover a duet from Earth,Wind and Fire lead man Philip Bailey.Also Tim,you Knew this choice would bring in some very “punny” Genesis/PC punchlines.If Phil Collins was ranked 96,where do you rank Pat Benetar?

20. Grrrumpy Miner

December 23, 2008 at 2:22 am

95 excuse me.

21. Phillies Phan SC

December 23, 2008 at 11:23 am

You all took my joke, so please Take Me Home…

22. deal

December 23, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I can’t believe nobody has added 70s era Phils utility man Jim Morrison to this conversation. This must be “The End”

23. Norman M

July 12, 2009 at 10:14 am

Best singing drummer of all time?

Levon Helm hands down.