Posts

Greg Maddux To Retire

From the AP:

Greg Maddux is all done.

The four-time Cy Young winner will announce his retirement Monday at the baseball winter meetings in Las Vegas.

Maddux turns 43 in April. He is eighth on the career wins list with 355, and went 8-13 last season with the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers.

The announcement about his retirement came Friday from the office of his agent, Scott Boras.

Wow. An amazing pitcher who gave the Phillies fits for years and years. A fine career, Mr. Maddux.

1. maxhole

December 5, 2008 at 6:28 pm

time for my greg maddux RC to increase in value

2. MikeMc26

December 5, 2008 at 6:31 pm

When the Dodgers brought him in against us in the NLCS, I flashed back to his Braves days and got a little nervous. Congrats to Maddux, one of the best corner-painters I’ve ever seen.

3. MA Phanatic

December 5, 2008 at 7:10 pm

one of the greatest pitchers of all-time. Great career….

4. Greg V.

December 5, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I have nothing but great things to say about Maddux. A pitcher among pitchers! One of my favorite games of this season was Maddux vs. Hamels early in the season. It just seemed so right. He will be missed.

5. Griffin

December 5, 2008 at 8:58 pm

A great, great pitcher who was frustrating to watch-and that’s a compliment.

6. Jason B

December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm

When Greg Maddux left the Braves, I rejoiced. Seeing him out of the division was heaven. I think back to all the years of him painting the outside corners against the former drech we used to call the Phillies, and it still gives me a knot in my stomach. When the dodgers picked him up, I thought, Uh-oh, another chance for Maddux to give us fits and beat us. Obviously he didn’t but still it was in the back of my mind. I am glad to finally see him retire, but I can never deny that he was a great pitcher and the man should be a first ballot hall of famer!

7. Eb

December 6, 2008 at 12:20 am

God I could not stand Maddux as a Brave but as much as I hate him, I have so much respect for him.

It is interesting as I am only 23, I watched the Braves have minimum 4 HOFS during my childhood. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Chipper. I am blanking out on other players who might have HOF potential but damn that was a pitching rotation.

Congrats to great career Professor

8. maxhole

December 6, 2008 at 12:59 am

maddux, glavine, smoltz, and avery. close EB, avery wasn’t HOF material, but he was part of that band that gave so many teams headaches. maybe i shouldn’t say this on here, but i was a braves fan when (and because) those guys were together. my loyalty went out to a dominant team then, but i loved pitching when i played little league.

9. Chutley

December 6, 2008 at 1:15 am

One of the great ones. Hated him for many years but i respect him. Hall of Famer without a doubt.

10. Phillies Phan SC

December 6, 2008 at 1:22 am

I found a tape in my attic from 1988 when he pitched against Don Carman. Cubs v. Phillies. Lee Elia got kicked out of the game, and Bedrock blew a save, which was not too common, but did happen. Wow did it bring back memories. Harry and Richie were talking about how promising his future was. If only they knew – actually, they did.

11. Phillies Phan SC

December 6, 2008 at 1:25 am

Greg V.,

He was a GREAT pitcher! He did give us fits for years. The only redemption, from OUR standpoint, was when he and Kendrick talked in June and Kendrick beat him in his next start. It was kind of funny because Maddux really did give us a hard time. I dreaded him on the mound, but really respected him. I only wish the Phillies would have paid for him.

12. Chuck P

December 6, 2008 at 9:18 am

17 out of 18 years he won the gold glove… the guy could field his position… four Cy Youngs… 227 complete games is remarkable in this day and age. The fact that he has as many world series rings as Cole Hamels is crazy. The changing of the guard.

13. Matt

December 6, 2008 at 9:45 am

Even though he received much press, I still don’t think people appreciate the fact of how good he was. He is a posterboy for guys who don’t have a 95+ fast ball. If you have pinpoint control, you can win games in this league, and he’s the best example of that. I think his lack of postseason success is what will eventually hold him back from being in most discussions of the best pitcher of all time.

Class act all the way, hopefully he stays in the game in some capacity.

14. Matt Kwasiborski

December 6, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Greg is one of the greatest right handed pitchers of all time. He ranks up there with all of those HOF we used to read about as little kids. You won’t see another one like him for a long, long time.

And he is another case of the Phightin’s getting the wrong brother. I was 11 and my Mom took me to Mike’s MLB debut against Fernando back in the day. And then the next year, you see Mike and knew we got shafted again!

Greg is a model pitcher who all young aspiring pitchers should study, especially in his preparation, intensity and commitment to defense on the mound. I am so happy he wasn’t caught up in the steriod scandal (well, his stature somewhat confirms that) because he is one of my baseball heroes. Long live the Professor!

15. ADT Dealer Program

December 8, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Very sad day in sports history.

16. ADT Dealer Program

December 8, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Greg Maddux, non roid user in the roid era.

17. ADT Affilite Program

December 8, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Greg Maddux is my idol!!

18. Bill Elms

December 9, 2008 at 1:45 am

In watching baseball since the Yankees beat Cincy, there has been Koufax, Gibson, Carlton, Clemens(yech), and Maddux. Koufax was dominant like no other for 5-6 years, but Greg Maddux put it all together for the long haul – great pitcher, great fielding pitcher, good hitter.

When he’d come on TV I’d tell my wife ‘the accountant is pitching’ – he looked like the regular guy doing his job. This unassuming guy must have driven the sluggers crazy. They probably come up to the plate time after time, said ‘I know I can hit this guy – he has nothin’, and we all know how that ended – ad infinitum. They would say that because they never saw anyone else pitch like him – total command of his pitches, both placement and when to throw a particular pitch.

To me he’s what the true greats are all about. Reminds me of the gentlemanly integrity of Stan Musial. They are truely fewer and farther between now, and therefore that much more special.

19. Equip