Ibanez: Age Ain't Nothing But A Number – Phillies Nation
Posts

Ibanez: Age Ain't Nothing But A Number

Raul Ibanez was introduced to the media after finalizing his three-year, $31.5 million deal to play left field for the Phillies. Todd Zolecki has quotes, including this, about his age:

“Guys kept telling me, ‘Wait until you’re 30. You can’t train that hard when you’re 30.’ Then I heard, ‘When you hit 35, those day games after night games are going to be killers.’ So, finally, I talked to Edgar Martinez about it. I said, ‘Edgar, what is this thing about 35. Everyone talks about 35. What is this? At 35 I feel just as the same as I did when I was 30.’ — Edgar said to me in his super wise way — it’s like going to Yoda, you know? — he said, ‘That’s for the guys that don’t work as hard as we do.’ He told me his best years were after 35. His best year was when he was 37.”

Color me a slight more optimstic than most about Ibanez.

December 16, 2008 at 9:33 pm

I’m very optimistic about Ibañez… Charlie just needs to figure out where to put him in the lineup and we’re set.

2. Frank

December 16, 2008 at 9:58 pm

It will be fine you guys think to much into the 3 lefties thing get over it Ibane is here and Burrell is gone it will work

3. Jeff

December 16, 2008 at 10:06 pm

thank god for Raul. I love him. Always have. Burrell was a waste of talent. Never lived up to his pontential. We have a great guy who can hit lefties and righties. Good for the club house and will be a team leader. Welcome to Philly and forget all these people knocking the move. Like this guy who writes for the Phan nation. He just wished he played HS. baseball…

4. KM

December 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I totally agree Jeff. Burrell never lived up to the first overall pick hype.

Ibanez is the answer. I also liked Bradley, but Ibanez is a fine player who seems to be getting better with age. Age aside, Ibanez is in great physical condition, and from what I hear is a workout machine. He will play the whole year and give us 9 solid innings. He will be consistent at the plate and hit over .280 with 25 homers and 100 rbis. He will not take months off at a time. He will improve our overall baserunning. I don’t see how people can rip Ibanez and want Burrell back. We clearly have the better player.

5. Chase

December 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm

this is the type of guy we wanted all along last season. He doesen’t swing for the fences, and drives in a lot of runs. I know normally 3 lefties does not go well, but he hit lefties well last season.

6. tom

December 16, 2008 at 10:25 pm

I just got my plane tickets for my trip in june to go to the phillies and rays in tampa cant wait. Ibanez will be a good pickup on the standpoint of a more consistant bat in the lineup. He might be lefty but i think werth can hit for power. i still want another right handed outfielder.

7. Phil

December 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm

i read his interview today and needless to say i think he is already a true phillie. i really liked what he had to say. now im gonna go watch nlcs game 4 from the a&e box set with phillies comentators

8. NJ

December 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Heres what I like about the Ibanez deal. The Phillies roster has so much talent on it to the point some of those guys get into funks because they haven’t learnt to consistently adjust when things aren’t going well. Ibanez is the kind of player who knows how to play through the bad days so we can only hope that’s something that will filter through the clubhouse much like the influence of Moyer on the staff.

Ibanez doesn’t have Burrell’s power, Bradley’s talent, Rivera’s ‘youth’, but is a true veteran, he’s healthy, hits consistently and he’ll make the guys around him better and one more thing, he wants to be here… I like the idea of that kind of person being around Ryan Howard.

9. PhillyFriar

December 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm

I’m still not a fan of Amaro’s dealings this offseason, the Ibanez deal in particular, but that doesn’t mean I don’t genuinely like Raul and hope he does well here. He sounds like a hard-worker and a stand-up guy, and it’s always easy to cheer for a guy like that.

10. Ed

December 16, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Glad to see people are feeling more optimistic than what I have been reading/hearing the last few days. Ibanez is a veteran, a great clubhouse guy a work horse. I loved Burrell as much as anyone else, believe that but Ibanez is just what the Phillies needed. Yes the Phillies won the World Series, and I am thankful that they did but when they struggled what was the one thing we kept hearing? The Phillies can’t produce runs, they sit back and wait for the long ball, Ibanez is the exact opposite, he can generate runs by hitting to the gaps with more consistency than Burrell did. A lot of people seem to think that the third year of this deal will kill the Phillies. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. But let’s worry about that down the road. Focus on the good, be optimistic about the future and don’t worry about three years from now…won’t do anyone any good.

That being said…I still wish we had gone after Lowe, and maybe we still will…the longer he waits to sign the better and cheaper it is for whatever team he does sign with…could even be the Phillies.

11. Andrew R.

December 16, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I totally agree with Ed. Everybody is worrying about 2010 and beyond with Ibanez AND Moyer. Let’s worry about 2009 first, because in case nobody noticed, the Mets just got a whole lot better. They blew 29 saves last year and with Putz and K-rod, maybe they’ll knock that down to about 9-11 or so. Moyer will be more than effective next year. Myers is pitching for a contract. Hamels is straight up nasty. Blanton finally started showing his “solidness” after he got through that little bit of elbow trouble he was having. And now with Park, Happ, Kendrick, Eaton, and Carrasco all competing for the #5 spot (probably not Eaton so much), the competition is going to bring out the best in somebody.

Ibanez will do just fine. Not much of an upgrade defensively, but is definately a professional hitter. I rather have Ibanez rap out more hits with fewer walks than Burrell have less hits, and more walks. Burrell got on base more, but then would clog up the basepaths. Ibanez is definately a more complete player.

But let’s just focus on next year.

12. Mark

December 17, 2008 at 12:09 am

Ahem … Ibanez was speaking for himself and Moyer. So for all those premature “Ibanez and Moyer are too old … what about 2010” comments, recognize biotch!

13. Ryan

December 17, 2008 at 12:20 am

word around the league is that Ibanez is one of the hardest working guys in the game. also that he is a great clubhouse guy . He may just be a great Aaron Rowand style clubhouse leader. a real foxhole guy

14. christopher

December 17, 2008 at 12:45 am

i said before that i would much rather have burrell back than ibanez, and i stand by that. but as phillyfriar said earlier, that doesn’t mean i don’t like ibanez. i do, and i recognize that he’s a good hitter, a hard worker, and a class act. just because i’d rather have burrell back doesn’t mean i’m going to root against ibanez. i hope does very well here, and i feel optimistic about him at the plate in CBP.

15. Dleibs

December 17, 2008 at 4:03 am

just my two cents..did anyone see Ibanez on daily news live today? he was profound, eloquant, a stand up guy, and you could tell he’ll get it done. the best thing i liked about his interview were the words he said about john marzano. this guy gets “it”, meaning the city and the fans already. I cant wait to see him out in left field. Burrell was good but try and think back on his time here. I know I, and most other people, will remember him leading the parade, but during 162 games, there were countless times when I wanted to ring his neck. luckily, we can remember him in a positive light but the Ibanez guy is a consumate professional and I like the similarity of Rowand. If that is even remotely accurate, phillies fans will love him..welcome raul

16. Brooks

December 17, 2008 at 9:22 am

Wow! It is quite refreshing to see so many POSITIVE emails about this player for a change. People have been doomin’ this deal, the release of Pat – like its the end of the Phils before the season begins – Welcome to Philly Raul. You will get a Philly Standing O when your name is introduced on opening day!

17. Brooks

December 17, 2008 at 9:37 am

Which Phillies pitchers will not be tendered a contract?
    Gordon I know, Seanez? (He should probably be on that list), I know Eaton still has money left to steal but will not pitch (I hope), Rosario, Zagurski, Castro, Hernandez – none of them need to pick up a glove while in this fair city.
    The replacements? Chan Ho Park and does anyone know who else?
    If Chan Ho can spot fill like Scott Eyre’s did, we will be fine. Charlie will be working on that.

18. Derek

December 17, 2008 at 9:38 am

I know we kinda already figured that this was the case but, apparently the Phils are no longer in on Lowe according to Tim Dierkes of MLBTradeRumors.com….

19. Ed

December 17, 2008 at 9:42 am

Supposedly Seanez is retiring.

20. Brian Michael

December 17, 2008 at 11:11 am

That’s easy for Edgar to say, he was a DH.

21. Georgie

December 17, 2008 at 11:34 am

I missed Ibanez’ press conf but caught his interview on DNL yesterday. He seems to be very level-headed and humbled to be here. As someone said above, he’s very well-spoken and not the least bit arrogant. I liked him immediately, and he showed alot of class when he was talking about replacing Pat. He looks like he’s in great shape, but how does his butt compare to Pat’s, that’s the million dollar question?

Seriously though, I think he’ll be a good influence in the clubhouse, especially with our younger, more impressionable guys.