Posts

Williams To Join MLB Network

The MLB Network announced the hiring of Phillies Postgame Live analyst Mitch Williams. He will be the analyst for the 24-hour network’s signature show, “MLB Tonight,” which will compete with ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight.”

Joining Williams will be host Greg Amsinger and insider Jon Heyman of SI.com. They will also team up for “Hot Stove,” a nightly offseason show.

I would assume that means Williams is off the Comcast SportsNet roster. He was one of the better analysts I’ve seen in baseball, a guy who shoots straight and understands many facets of the game. Easily likable, he’ll translate well on the new network as its high-profile studio analyst. A great coup for the guy, and I wish him luck.

1. moonbeam

December 29, 2008 at 11:11 am

That stinks! If it’s true, then Post Game Live lost a great analyst. I guess we won’t be seeing him walking around at the home games either.

2. Greg V.

December 29, 2008 at 11:19 am

I loved him doing the Post Game shows! Oh well, I look forward to seeing him in this new format! Happy for the man today. I guess Ricky Bo is the new fulltime analyst unless Liebrethal needs something to do.

3. Chuck P

December 29, 2008 at 11:46 am

We all wish Mitch best of luck…

4. Justin

December 29, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Hope Ricky Bo can live up to the works of Mitchie Poo and Johnny Marz 2 very good analysts before him. Maybe bobby higginson is back in the area to do a couple games since CSN loves to bring in any athlete from the area to analyze games. Like John Celestand from Nova, I don’t even remember him as a player yet he analyzes Sixers games in post game live.

5. Brooks

December 29, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Not being a Comcast subscriber (I know, I know…), I never caught Mitch on this show. I did, however, catch him on the Phillies pre-game show frequently and enjoyed speaking with him on a few occasions outside of the stadium, on my way in. I truely enjoyed his analysis.

I know virtually nothing about the MLB network except for the blurbs that it will be the biggest splurge by a single network ever. How would one who has Direct TV go about getting this package?

6. Bruce

December 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Good luck to Mitch Williams. Although not as good as the late John Marzano (a south Philly native) who was passionate and relevant as postgame analyst for Comcast, Mitch will do fine in his new position.

7. Richie Allen

December 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm

First Marzano,now Williams…….maybe we can get Kruk back.He’s the only guy that can replace the knowledge and comedy that we lost with those two.

8. W Ph C

December 29, 2008 at 8:19 pm

best of Luck Mitchy poo.

9. Rob Cowie

December 29, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Why does an ex-player always have to be an analyist? Why can’t it be someone who never played, but just knows a lot about the game.?