Here’s a quick wrap from a busy Day 1 of the meetings:
- The Phillies aren’t agreeing with Jamie Moyer when it comes to money. They want to give him $14M. He wants $18M. Both over two years.
- Still, the Phils want to re-sign Moyer, while also signing Derek Lowe. The free agent right-hander likes the idea of being a Phillie, but the Phils did not offer three years (it could’ve been two or four).
- Late last night in the east, the Phils jumped in on the Jake Peavy trade as a side team. They’d acquire Mark DeRosa from the Padres (traded from Chicago), while sending away JA Happ and Chris Coste. Sources close to the deal say it’s all but done, but awaiting a new Cubs owner to pull the trigger.
- The Phils spoke with Nick Punto twice, and the infielder said he’d love to play for the world champions.
- During drinks of scotch and coffee, hopefully, the Phils talked with the Cardinals about acquiring someone, likely Ryan Ludwick. It seems the Cards want Ryan Madson as a centerpiece of a deal.
- Delmon Young appeared briefly on the Phils’ radar. A trade for Jason Donald (and more) seemed plausible. Right now, Young is low on the target list. Don’t expect any further movement here.
- Finally, Randy Wolf is open to joining any team. No word on if the Phils are interested, but I’m sure the lefty wouldn’t mind returning to Philly. The Phils did, however, look at free agent righty Braden Looper.