100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 100-76 Roundup

Before we go into the second quarter of the 100 Greatest Phillies countdown, here’s who we’ve already covered (cue music):

100. Randy Lerch
81. Jim Lonborg
80. Brett Myers
79. Jim Thome
78. Tully Sparks
77. Freddy Leach
76. Bake McBride

Coming up between 75 and 51 we have …

• One member of the 2008 Phillies.
  • The greatest nickname in Phillies history.
  • A longtime catching legend.
  • A Most Valuable Player.

Stay tuned!

1. Seth T.

January 11, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I’m disappointed Rico Brogna didn’t make this part of the list. A couple of 100 RBI seasons, stellar defense, one of the best players on some bad Phillies teams. Plus, anytime a first baseman in any level of youth baseball in the Philly area did a good job scooping a throw out of the dirt it was inherently referred to as a “Ricoooooooo!” That’s gotta count for something, right?

2. Tim Malcolm

January 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Consider Brogna 101 on the list. He just didn’t do it for me, not with all the help he had hitting ahead of him.

3. Brett

January 11, 2009 at 3:59 pm

that’s a shame.

4. hogballs

January 11, 2009 at 5:31 pm

keep up the good work. Brings back lots of memories

5. hogballs

January 11, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Might that great nickname be “Puddinhead” Jones?

6. rob

January 11, 2009 at 6:29 pm

You mean to tell me that Antonio “El Pulpo” Alfonseca is on this list?

7. Philly Sports Fan

January 11, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I know this is a Phillies fan board but ya gotta love the irony that 2 NY teams choked against 2 Philly teams this season to allow the Philly team to get closer to another championship

8. Tyler

January 11, 2009 at 6:58 pm

is it daulton or boone for the catcher,& i bet its burrell for the 2008 member

9. Ben

January 11, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I’m pretty sure that with 25 out of 100 done, we are moving into the second quarter and not the second fifth.

10. Joe O'Phillie

January 11, 2009 at 7:13 pm

This might be a stretch but could 3 be the same person, Carlos “Cooch” Ruiz?

11. Fran

January 11, 2009 at 7:40 pm

A longtime catching legend.

12. Tim Malcolm

January 11, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Yeah, Ben, I actually set to post this a week ago when we were going into No. 80, but had posting problems. So when I edited it to re-post it, I forgot to change the top.

13. Mike

January 11, 2009 at 8:57 pm

1) Brad Lidge.
    2) I got nothin’.
    3) Bob Boone.
    4) Either Jim Konstanty or Dale Murphy. I think it’s obvious that Howard, Klein, Rollins and Schmidt are all top 50. Konstanty is the odd man out there. But, you didn’t say that they were an MVP for the Phillies, and of MVPs who eventually played for the Phils, Pete Rose’s contribution was too high, and Joe Morgan’s too low, while Dale Murphy’s just right.

14. Mike

January 11, 2009 at 9:00 pm

And (admittedly, after posting) if number one’s not Lidge, it’s Hamels. In addition to the aforementioned Howard and Rollins, Burrell and Utley are definitely top 50.

January 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm

1. Mike Schmidt
    2. Steve Carlton

16. Matt Kwasiborski

January 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm

17. Justin

January 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I honestly don’t know how Jay Johnstone is a higher selection even by one slot than Bake, the only thing Johnstone had on Bake is batting average and it’s not even that big of a difference, maybe it’s just me. Bake got a Phillies World Series Ring.

18. Brooks

January 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm

In my opinion, I would place McBride ahead of Manny Trillo, who definitely deserves to be on this list.
    Is there a Trillo sighting coming up?

19. Griffin

January 12, 2009 at 12:03 am

The MVP will be Jim Konstanty (1950 NL MVP).

20. Chapps

January 12, 2009 at 12:14 am

Could the greatest nickname be “The poor man’s white Darryl Strawberry” or “five-for-one” or “two in the first”? Or is it a simple as Von “Purple” Hayes? Because I think it’s a little too soon for “Nails”.

21. Ben

January 12, 2009 at 12:48 am

Yeah. I love the blog and your work Tim, little things like that just annoy me.

22. KidCarnivore

January 12, 2009 at 12:58 am

Lidge would be a very interesting subject; only here for a year so far, but played a monstrous role in what was one of our two greatest seasons.

23. Chuck P

January 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Hmm… between 75-51 we have:
    – Member of the 2008 Phillies… Burrell
    – Best Nickname IMO Dandy Little Glove Man… since Morandini is def not a top 75 I’ll go with Nails (only played better than 100 games in a season twice as a Phillie; exclude 1993 and his numbers were average)
    – Catching legend… Boone (I think that Daulton and Lieby will both be higher)
    – MVP… there haven’t been too many in Phils history. I’ll go with Konstanty.

24. Brian

January 12, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Is it coincidence or purpose that Mitch is at #93 ?

25. Dave S

January 12, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Excited to see where my man Gavvy comes in at.

26. Ryan Kotarski

January 12, 2009 at 8:21 pm

How can you put Brett Myers so low on the list?

27. Brett

January 13, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Was “One Nut” Kruk’s official nickname?