100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 70 – Bob Miller

Bob Miller
Relief Pitcher

Career w/Phillies: 822 IP / 42-42 / 3.96 ERA / 263 K

Alternating between starting and relieving, Bob Miller threw 822 innings in 10 seasons for the Phillies. He finished second in the Rookie of the Year voting in 1950, going 11-6 with a 3.57 ERA for the pennant-winning Phils. He was then moved to the bullpen where he struggled, then brought back to the rotation where he thrived, then put back in the bullpen and, finally, performed well. Between 1955 and ’57, Miller was the top right-handed arm out of the Phils pen.

Comment: A good arm during some lean seasons in the 1950s, Miller finally found his niche and held onto prime positioning for three seasons. That coupled with a fine rookie campaign with the ’50 Phils puts him on this list, ahead of modern marvel Ryan Madson.

1. Mary

February 16, 2009 at 10:37 am

My family recently visited with Bob at my dear Dad’s funeral. They used to play together in the “old neighborhood”. He and Dad used to play catch and my Uncle Johnny taught him to pitch! I believe my uncle was in the minor league.

2. whizkidfanatic

March 1, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Miller hurt his back in a freak accident, he slipped on some stairs while heading to Boston ahead of the team in 1950. Eddie Sawyer said he never seemed to throw the ball the same afterward. His hips never opened up and his arm strength wasn’t as good. At the time of his injury, he was pitching as well as Roberts and Simmons. No telling how good he may have been without the injury.

3. Bob Miller Jr.

March 2, 2009 at 9:49 am

My dad is still doing very well. Most people do not know he coached 38 years at Detroit Mercy and was elected the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.

4. Don Jost

March 13, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Bob, I’ve learned from J. Lewis that you will be a special guest on Friday March 27th. I’m coming from Lansing for the luncheon and I hope to meet you. I was 6 years old and just old enough to remember you as a Whiz Kid. Don J

5. David K.

March 29, 2009 at 12:03 am

Bob Miller’s son was my coach at St. Valentine in Redford, MI and everytime I would ask about his dad in the big leagues he had thousands of stories to tell. Bob Miller is a great man who I have had the honor of talking to multiple times. He has instilled a baseball attitude into his sons and has made them the best men they could possibly be. I could definitly tell that my coach is nothing but proud of his father and what he accomplished in his career not only as a Phillie but as a coach at U of D.

Congrats Coach Miller Sr.!

6. Edward Fenning

July 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I first met Bob Miller while he was a bartender at a place in W@inslow Township named The Golden Nuggat in the mid 70’s. What a guy!

7. Randy P

March 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

As a former U of D player, Coach Miller is a great man.

8. Pat Moore Barner

June 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

When I was a kid, Bob Miller used to play cards next door with 2 other Phillies pitchers, Bob Kusava and Herm Wehmeier. My father also played with them. They decided to play a trick on my excitable father. Wehmeier was to pitch the next afternoon. They put ice tea in an empty whiskey bottle. Wehmeier drank shotglass after shotglass of the tea, with my father getting more agitated by the glass, thinking of the game the next day. He finally shouted out, “What the hell are you doing. You have to pitch tomorrow!”

Of the three Phillies I had grown to know as a giggly 13 year old, I liked Bob Miller the best. He was funny and kind to a star-struck kid. I still treasure the 8×10 autographed picture he gave me. I hope he is well and happy

9. Bob Miller Jr.

June 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Great Story Pat! I will pass it along to my dad.