100 Greatest Phillies: 84 – Dave Cash – Phillies Nation
100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 84 – Dave Cash

Dave Cash
Second Baseman
1974-1976

Career w/Phillies: .296 AVG / 7 HR / 171 RBI / 43 SB

In three seasons, Dave Cash fueled the Phillies batting order, played solid defense, made three All Star teams, finished in the top 20 of MVP voting each year and coined a phrase now synonymous with America’s first black president. Talk about making an impact. A pretty good hitter, he hit .300 twice during his Phils career, without much power but with good speed. His presence and catch phrase “Yes we can!” helped boost the Phils to a 1976 division championship, but he would be signed in the offseason by the Expos. “Yes we can!” came back with Barack Obama in 2008.

Comment: Who doesn’t like the ‘fro? Cash was a nice player who had his three best seasons with the Phils. A good pickup by the hometown team. He’d give way to the more defensive-minded Manny Trillo, but for three seasons, Cash played the game right.

1. Greg V.

January 3, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Another line Obama stole? Does this guy say anything genuine?

2. Tim Malcolm

January 3, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I suppose it’s either take Obama’s words or a president who can’t even speak fluent English.

/nomorepolitics

3. David L.

January 3, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Cash was my favorite player growing up and in the last few years, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him and he was very down to earth and respectful.

4. Robert K.

January 3, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Wasn’t Ted Sizemore in there somewhere?

5. Georgie

January 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Yeah, Davey Cash, I was ticked off when they let him go, but Manny Trillo won me over eventually. Those 70’s players really rocked some dy-no-mite ‘fros- Bake McBride, Gary Maddox, Cash, even Schmidty tried to get in on it when he got a perm. Oh and Pete Rose also had a perm for a brief time, but I guess he liked the Moe look better.

6. Pingback: allstate insurance lockett enterprises thirty year distressed houses motgage

7. Lenny G.

July 8, 2009 at 10:56 pm

No doubt that Cash was a solid player for the Phils. He is one guy I would have liked to have seen on the team in ’80…..but Trillo was huuuuuge for us.
    I believe Sizemore did play for the Phils in ’77.

8. Roy Petrea

March 31, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I thought I would add a personal message in this article to demonstrate you the most effective way in making income using dating affiliate along with cost-free tactics. I worked on to make 5 thousand a month using the steps in that guide noted. Just click here http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=2071953 in order to learn it.