2008 Phandom 25

The 2008 Phandom 25: "Ambush!"

Last year I wrote a series of posts chronicling 2007’s 20 greatest moments in Phillies Phandom. Each game had a special “wow” factor, whether it was an insane comeback, an awesome feat or a trademark moment. And each game was a Phillies win, of course.

For this year, clearly, you know the top moment. But ranking the rest was very difficult. Do I rank the NLCS second just because? Is the NL East clinching victory as important as other postseason moments? I used some heavy discretion, but I believe I came up with a pretty solid list.

Each moment has an attached video link, if you’d like to go back and reminisce.

Like the 100 Greatest Phillies countdown, I’ll be posting one per day. I swear, you won’t get any more countdowns this offseason.

22. “Ambush!”
Date: May 7, 2008

After the Phillies came back against the Diamondbacks in Arizona, one player said “Ambush.” Right on.

The Diamondbacks carried a 3-1 lead going into the seventh inning, as Kyle Kendrick turned in another Kendrickian start. The offense couldn’t get off the ground off Arizona starter Micah Owings, but in that seventh, they struck gold.

A Geoff Jenkins single gave way to Pedro Feliz. In typical clutch Feliz fashion, he knocked a two-run home run to tie the game. Arizona would regain the lead off Ryan Madson, however, as Connor Jackson plated Eric Brynes with a double. JC Romero extinguished the flames, but down 4-3, time was running out.

Luckily, the Phils caught a break as Shane Victorino reached first on a strikeout-passed ball. That brough up Eric Bruntlett, starting for the injured Jimmy Rollins. And as the little men did all season, Bruntlett came up big with a lining double, tying the game. Chase Utley followed with a base hit, scoring Bruntlett. “Ambush!”

Tom Gordon calmed it down after surrendering a leadoff double, and of course, Brad Lidge closed the door. A fine early season win against, at the time, one of baseball’s top teams.

The video: Chase Utley brings home Eric Bruntlett.

From the comments:

Mike T: I’d like to take the time to welcome the Phillies back down to Earth – welcome home, Phils.

Fran: see i dont mind feliz. If you think about it last year we had wes helms in that spot. Feliz is definatly an upgrade. Give him time, remember this is a whole new club and city hes with. He just moved 3,000 miles. Let him get adjusted

chris.l: Good ass game! It was worth staying up until 1:00 on a work night to watch us get this important win.

1. mw

January 2, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I love these season recap countdowns. Brings so many good memories out of the woodwork.. keep it up!

2. Picker of Nits

January 3, 2009 at 1:34 am

“JC Romero fanned the flames, but down 4-3, time was running out.”

I’m pretty sure this means Romero did the opposite of fanning the flames (he put out the fire). Wouldn’t be worth mentioning, except it made me realize that pitchers have a complex relationship with fans. “Fan the side” – good. “Fan the flames” – bad. Do the wrong one and who says “Boooo!”? The fans.

3. Mike T.

January 3, 2009 at 2:16 am

mw i agree, the recap countdowns are great.

great idea, tim.

4. Tim Malcolm

January 3, 2009 at 3:27 am

Picker, I’m not following.

Maybe I’m lost?

5. Picker of Nits

January 3, 2009 at 4:37 am

Or possibly I am :-).

‘fanned the flames’ means ‘made things worse’. But from your description I assumed you were saying Romero came in and finished the inning without further damage – in which case, what did he do wrong?

The rest was just a joke – I didn’t intend it to be pedantic or anything.

6. Tim Malcolm

January 3, 2009 at 11:52 am

Okay, now I see it. Thanks. You spend your life writing, and sometimes an expression creeps up on you and you don’t quite know it.

7. Fran

January 3, 2009 at 2:15 pm

haha i agree with Frans statement in that post. I told you to let him get adjusted. Look what happened, Game winning RBI

8. Brooks

January 3, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I received a ticket to visit my son & family in the Phoenix area come early March. The Cactus League will be in full gear by then and I cannot wait to wear my Phillies jacket and hat and see the Rockies up close. If Pat gets traded to a West Coast team, I may make an attempt to see him as well as Aaron Rowand.
    Comeon Spring Training… the Eagles will be dissapointing the city soon – we need our Phillies!

9. sumkin

January 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm

действительно, довольно интересно…

10. optika

January 23, 2009 at 9:11 pm

откуда у вас такие сведения?

11. igra

January 26, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Легче нести ахинею, чем бревно.

12. alexi

January 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Чем больше понимаешь, тем больше круг людей, которым с тобой не о чем

13. jigit

January 26, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Аксиома с тоской вспоминала то время, когда она была еще теоремой…

14. lin

January 27, 2009 at 4:50 am

Разговор начистоту обычно заканчивается взаимным обливанием грязью.