100 Greatest Phillies: 38 – Manny Trillo – Phillies Nation
100 Greatest Phillies

100 Greatest Phillies: 38 – Manny Trillo

Manny Trillo
Second Baseman
1979-1982

Career w/Phillies: .277 AVG / 19 HR / 160 RBI / 30 SB

Acquired in a trade with the Cubs along with Greg Gross, Manny Trillo was one of the final pieces of the 1980 championship puzzle. And what a piece. His defense overshadowed everything, as he won three Gold Gloves as a Phillie with some sterling plays at the sack. One cannot overlook the offense, however, which was always steady, earning him two Silver Slugger awards during his Philadelphia tenure. His best offensive season was 1980, when he hit .292 while slugging .412. He may have had a career year in 1981, hitting six homers and driving in 36, but his season was short because of the players’ strike. What stands out is Trillo was never a detriment to the Phillies offense, which makes him all the more appealing as an all-around player. Elite defense, good-enough offense. And of course, that MVP in the thrilling 1980 National League Championship Series. He was one of the five traded to the Indians for Von Hayes before the 1983 season.

Comment: A superior defensive player, Trillo easily earns Top 40 honors. While he’s one of the franchise’s greatest middle infielders, he’s only the first of four second basemen in the top 40. A stacked position, for sure.

1. Bonezy

February 17, 2009 at 5:32 pm

One of my all time favorites! Nice spot for him.

2. Gregger

February 17, 2009 at 5:55 pm

highly underrated. Two and a half cheers Tim for this call. I was hoping he’d be a little higher but thats cause he was my favorite player.

3. Tim Malcolm

February 17, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Well when you think in 125 years there’s only 37 better players than Manny, that’s gotta be nice.

Edit: Yeah, meant 37.

4. Josh

February 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm

36 better and 1 tied with him?

Also, I’m very curious to see where you rank the big three from the current team. Love the list so far, keep up the good work.

5. GreysFan

February 17, 2009 at 7:31 pm

One of my favorites. I started lobbying the Phils to trade for him (in my head of course) about 1978. I always loved his ability to have a very long meditative experience staring at the ball for about an hour before gunning it to first.

6. Chapps

February 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Manny was great, one of my grandpa favorites and involved in the trade that brought the team my favorite player. I have loved the list so far, and looking forward to seeing the rest of the list, here’s hoping that Von Hayes makes the top 37.

7. willie the phillie

February 17, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I loved how Trillo would whip it almost submarine style on the dp pivot, forcing the runner to get out of the way!

8. Bob B.

February 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Manny Trillo is an excellent pick. Wonder who the other 2nd basemen are after Utley.
    Regarding Von Hayes, I was at the Muts game when he hit the solo homerun & grandslam in the 1st inning….but I don’t know about him being a top 37 player.

9. Tom G

February 17, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Manny and I got our hair cut at the same place in Medford…he was the nicest athlete of any kind I have met…always smiling and kind…keeps a special place in my memory bank! Whereas, Bob Boone who also lived near by was the polor op…jerk, with a capital J…Greg also live nearby, a neighbor to Boone, the Bull also was a super guy…always willing to lend a hand…but the term…’just Manny being Manny’ had a whole other meaning back then!

10. Rob Cowie

February 17, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Manny trillo is my fav phillie of all time.

11. Tim Malcolm

February 17, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Rob, I don’t even know if were old enough to have seen Manny haha.

12. Jason B.

February 17, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I wasn’t old enough to see Manny Trillo, But when I was a kid, I loved Morandini… My dad would always say, “Should’ve seen Manny play, did it with so much more style and grace.” That got me thinking, is Morandini one of the second basemen on the list?

13. Jason B.

February 17, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I just looked at Morandini’s career stats and he’s definately not on the list. Had the longevity, but at the plate, mediocre at best. Solid defensively, had the triple play.

14. Buggs

February 18, 2009 at 1:18 am

How is he better than Cole Hamels?

15. Jeff Y.

February 18, 2009 at 7:04 am

Great fielder

16. Justin

February 18, 2009 at 8:23 am

So that leaves Utley, Juan Samuel and one of either Placido Polanco/Mariano Duncan/Joe Morgan….I’m guessing Joe Morgan

17. Jack South Philly

February 18, 2009 at 8:35 am

My old man’s favorite player because of his defense alone!

18. Jason B.

February 18, 2009 at 8:53 am

gotta be Joe Morgan if those are your three choices. I guess Steve Jeltz isn’t making the list… oh wait, he was a shortstop. My bad.

19. From Section 113

February 18, 2009 at 9:34 am

No way can Joe Morgan be on this list. He played 1 season, hit .230 though had an OB% of .370, but didn’t have a lasting impact. Yes they made the WS but Polanco had a much better Philly career.

February 18, 2009 at 9:45 am

I’d also say Polanco…

21. Chapps

February 18, 2009 at 11:23 am

Come on everyone knows that besides Chase, Denny Doyle was the greatest Phillies second basemen of all time.

22. Harper

February 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Let’s not forget Cookie Rojas or Tony Taylor.