Fan Friday – Jane

Home plateAs weird as it may seem, my life has always been defined as being a Phillies fan. That’s what I’m known for.

That’s how and part of the reason why I married my husband. We even had a Phillies-themed wedding.

The best story about my insane Phillies obsession comes from when I was 13 years old. I just had spinal surgery and was being watched closely in recovery by the nurses. The Phillies were playing the Dodgers in LA and Carlton was pitching. Even in my pain, I was listening to the game. I had a little ear piece attached to a small radio. No one could hear except for me. It was around 11 p.m. and pretty quiet on the girl’s ward. All of a sudden, Lefty hit a grand slam, and I started screaming! cakeWell, all of the nurses came running and even called the doctor on call. Needless to say, they were not very happy when they realized my screams were caused by the Phillies! From then on, I was allowed to watch on a TV by the nurses’ desk so that they would know why I was screaming!

When I was released from the hospital, I had a full body cast, but my sister was able to draw Tug’s jersey on the back.

I have found that rooting for the Phillies is a wonderful way to unite people and a city that might otherwise have nothing in common. It is a great game, and the Phillies are not just someone to root for, they are a way of life.

Let’s Go Phillies!!

1. Georgie

February 6, 2009 at 11:36 am

Very cool story, and Jane, that shot of you with the Phillies cap on top of your bridal veil is priceless!

2. Jason B.

February 6, 2009 at 11:47 am

That is awesome Jane. When my wife and I got married, we had our reception. When the first dance as a married couple started, it was Bryan Adams. However, after a few lines in the song, it dramatically changed. It became the popular song from the 1980 champ run, “Phillies Phever.” That was our wedding song! Although I wasn’t lucky enough to have a Phillies Themed wedding, it’s nice to know that there are other married couples out there whose marital foundation is built partly on the greatest baseball team in the world.

3. phillyhater

February 6, 2009 at 12:26 pm

yeah last year they were the greatest baseball team in the world

4. Jason B.

February 6, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Hey philly hater… Why don’t you shut up and go back to the blog of your version of the best baseball team in the world and leave us alone. Yes, we may get a little crazy on this site, but ITS A PHILLIES FAN SITE, you ignoramous. This is a wedding story, and a nice one at that. It’s one thing if you are a fan of another team and come on this site and make intelligent arguments as to why we are wrong for making statements, but I’ve seen you on here and you don’t make intelligent statements. You talk trash probably because you are trash. Oh and by the way, until another team wins a world series, we are the best team in the world.

5. Woodman

February 6, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Amen, Jason B. Phillyhater needs to accept the fact that the Phillies are the World Champs. Like it, or not. It’s a fact! The Muts will continue to be bridesmaids. Second best, or the FIRST LOSER!

6. Jason B.