Moniker

Moniker: Brett Myers

Every third Sunday, we’ll present “Moniker,” where we nickname a member of the Phillies, for better or worse.

Brett Myers. He doesn’t have a nickname, does he?

Despite a long career in Philadelphia, Myers is one of the only Phillie regulars who doesn’t have a real good nickname. A long-time starter who was converted to closer in 2007, Myers came back to the rotation with poor results. A demotion to the minor leagues revitalized his career, and he had a sparkling second half in 2008. That carried into the postseason, where Myers used his bat to do the talking.

Myers is one-half of his self-proclaimed Redneck Wrecking Crew, with Joe Blanton, and for a small while last season I referred to him as “The Redneck Express.” That might work, but let’s get something in cement. So go ahead: Do your bidding.

Just one caveat: Please make no references to his personal life. They’re unnecessary.

1. Brett

February 15, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Is Johnny Wacko taken yet? ……………….I really hope that’s the first Johhny Wacko joke of the season.

2. Joe O'Phillie

February 15, 2009 at 7:23 pm

The Iron Phillie

3. BurrGundy

February 15, 2009 at 7:33 pm

“Octane” would be a great nickname. He is emotional and pumped and very enthusiastic and can be very high performanc. Or “High Octane” if you would prefer a two word nickname

4. jeromy

February 15, 2009 at 7:35 pm

My friends and I have been calling him Mad Dog Myers since his move to the pen in 07. I can’t imagine calling him anything else

5. NateB

February 15, 2009 at 7:38 pm

how about FIRECRACKER. it totally fits his personality, he’s got a reddish goatee (Fire), and he’s a white southerner (Cracker).

6. larry

February 15, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Stop trying to force nicknames on people. Everyone was trying to do it to howard 2 years ago. Nicknames don’t work when they are forced.

7. jeromy

February 15, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Whoa buzz killington

8. Justin

February 15, 2009 at 8:00 pm

jeromy, mad dog is taken by madson bcuz it fits his name. High Octane sounds good but it’s got to have a good ring with his name like cole train hamels or ryan mad dog madson.

9. jeromy

February 15, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Yea I know about madson and I agree that fits. Bc I’ve been calling him that its hard to break from it. How bout brett the hitman myers for any old school wrestling fans out there

10. Chapps

February 15, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Me and my friends have always just simply called him “Crazy” but are nicknames are normally pretty simple. With the exception of Von “The poor man’s white Darryl Strawberry” Hayes.

11. therookie300

February 15, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Rock Star

12. Jason B.

February 15, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Hey larry, lighten up dude, what else are we going to do while we wait for the season to begin? Lighten up and have fun dude. My pick for Myers nickname would be Wonderboy, for his offensive out put in the NLCS. I believe he had more RBIs in that series than Howard.

13. Jason B.

February 15, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Just checked, he did have more Ribbies. Wonderboy is my vote.

14. Tim Rich

February 15, 2009 at 8:50 pm

We lost Burrell, why not Brett “The Bat” Myers.

15. the lopez!

February 15, 2009 at 8:52 pm

how about oj
    for the slap down he gave his wife in boston

he could be called chris brown

16. Tony

February 15, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Wife beater

17. the lopez!

February 15, 2009 at 8:54 pm

or
    “fort” myers
    ’cause he’s from fla

18. Tim Rich

February 15, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Lopez, I think you need to reread the caveat

19. therookie300

February 15, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I’m tellin’ ya. Rock Star is the way to go.

20. Ari

February 15, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Myers is a hard throwing, hard living, intense competitor. His nickname needs to capture that. How about:

Fuel
    fireball
    fireball express
    locomotive

21. Jeff

February 15, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I have “the Ape”

22. philsphan

February 15, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Clay Condrey is part of the Red Neck Wrecking Crew as well

23. Ed

February 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Bruiser (not because he hit his wife)
    Big Game Brett
    Myers the Masher
    Brett the Bat

24. clktwr14

February 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm

How about this Boxer, not because of his problems in Boston, but because father is a boxing trainer in Jacksonville, and he train with him as a kid, just a thought.

25. Jason B.

February 15, 2009 at 11:03 pm

“The Bat” would really capture his esscence as it contributes to the team. You know what is funny? 30 years from now when we look back at this past playoff run,when the name Myers or Blanton come up, it will be because of plate appearnces and not thier mound performance.

26. zach

February 15, 2009 at 11:08 pm

funny you mentioned this right around valentines day. first me and my friends called him b my. Then that made us think of be my valentine. so now he is just simply val. as in “yo val is on the mound tonight.”

27. Dave H

February 15, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Zach I like “val” that is the things that nicknames are made of. At first it makes no sense, but there is legit reasoning behind it. I like it.

28. Jon

February 15, 2009 at 11:23 pm

For me, he will always be “Brett the Threat”.
    This came about in 2005 I believe in a September series against the Astros. Brett is batting and hits a screamer up the middle and right into Pettite’s leg. I told my brother how threatening he was, and thus “The Threat” was born. Just watch the man swing the bat, he swings so damn hard.

29. Evan

February 16, 2009 at 12:38 am

I’m with Tim Rich on this one. Brett the Bat. Its brings up his incredible showing against sabathia in the playoff, but is also ironic cause he’s about as much threat as a tee-ball all-star when he steps up to the plate.

30. Steve

February 16, 2009 at 12:42 am

How about “The Wife Beater” or “White Trash”

31. ryan

February 16, 2009 at 12:43 am

i like the redneck express. the redneck wrecking crew is so great for him and blanton together. i could just picture them in a pickup truck driving down a dirty road listening to lynyrd skynyrd , drinking pabst blue ribbon, and chewing tobacco.

32. Nesto

February 16, 2009 at 12:56 am

I’m going to have to agree with the name, “Brett the Threat.” When I first read your comment, Jon, I thought perhaps there was someone else in the world who happened to come up with the same title that we did, but no, it’s still just us! But really, rhyming nicknames are always so fun and cheesy. Jon and I tried coming up with rhyming nicknames for all the Phillies, but none of them work quite as well as Brett the Threat or the original, Pat the Bat.

33. blough

February 16, 2009 at 3:15 am

i like val. make it happen.

34. Lewisauce

February 16, 2009 at 4:39 am

I like “val.”

I like “Brett the Hitman Myers” (no wife-incident intended; I’m just reaching back to my childhood WWF fandom).

I can live with “Brett the Threat.”

What’s with all the Mets trolls talking smack about his personal life? Oh wait, that’s right. Mets fans don’t have anything else to talk about because they haven’t made the playoffs in a couple years. Or won a championship.

35. Ed

February 16, 2009 at 7:00 am

Since Burrell is now gone, I feel like Brett is going to take up his duties as the guy that owns the Mets…thus, in honor of Pat the Bat and in prediction of Brett’s soon to be accomplishments for this season I am going to say Myers the Mets Killer

36. Bear Mike

February 16, 2009 at 7:10 am

“Beater” As in “Beater on the Bump”

Also, for me it is “Caveman” Raw, Rugged, Brutal, Energetic….Brett “The Caveman” Myers”

37. mikedee

February 16, 2009 at 7:19 am

The Hillbilly

38. Bonezy

February 16, 2009 at 8:24 am

Brett “Oscar” Myers.

39. TS

February 16, 2009 at 9:55 am

I’d rather not have the word “redneck” associated with the Phils

40. Craig

February 16, 2009 at 10:00 am

Stella

41. Brendan

February 16, 2009 at 10:03 am

How bout Ike Turner??? Greatest woman beater ever

42. Mazinman

February 16, 2009 at 10:03 am

How about “Rollercoaster” for all the ups and downs he had last year?

43. Chuck P

February 16, 2009 at 10:43 am

I don’t like forcing nicknames… I like Val because it’s real. It’s not something that I sat down and conspired over for an hour. It was spontaneous and has real meaning, however, it would be difficult for the general public to understand and would require an explanation every time.

He reminds me of the bad guy on Popeye, Brutus.

44. zach II

February 16, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I agree with my same-named counterpart, though I’d save the abbreviations for small talk and extend the nickname to Brett “B My Valentine” Myers, more commonly “Valentine” and when you’re talkin’ fast simply “Val”.
    A coy connection would be to consider him a martyr (like his fellow Valentines) for his duties in relief and in the minors…while he may not have had much of a choice, he didn’t fuss about it, he sacrificed his pride.

45. Malcolm

February 16, 2009 at 1:10 pm

On the mound he’s a bulldog. I’ve been calling him that for years.

46. gabriel

February 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm

for the tandem of brett and blanton: “Heavy B and the Redneck Express”, i’ve called fat joe ‘Heavy B’ since day one… and i like the moniker of redneck express for myers…
    i’ll also take anything involving a bud light reference for brett… brett the threat was one of the better one’s on here so far…
    brett = the big lebowski… something about him just reminds me of the dude…

47. Pingback: Links of the Day: 2.16.09 « We’re the Team to Beat

48. Ryan

February 16, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Brett “The Hitman” Myers

February 16, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Brett the Bat

50. Greg B

February 16, 2009 at 5:29 pm

“Octane” and “Redneck Express” are pretty good. I think “Val” is kind of a stretch and has nothing to do with his character, just a play on his abbreviated name. If you want to go that route, why not just pull out the Ronettes song, “Be my baby”? That way you have a catchy tune AND get to sing in falsetto.

51. Jim

February 16, 2009 at 7:25 pm

So what’s wrong with “Maniac Myers”?

52. Ryan

February 16, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Threatneck Valentine. Just combine them all.

53. clktwr14

February 16, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Hey TS quick history lesson you and everyone here, the term redneck is actually pretty approiate (sp) here in Philly cause it comes from when the coal miners in West Virginia were unionizing, a union coal miner would wear a red bandana around his neck, so you get the term “redneck” so it fits in this town pretty good, since Philadelphia, is a strong union city.

54. dmarley

February 16, 2009 at 11:24 pm

i enthusiastically endorse “the Bat”

55. Stuart

February 17, 2009 at 8:02 am

Yeah im not sure how much i like forcing a nick name on someone. i think this is a bit ridiculous.

56. Rick

February 17, 2009 at 9:10 am

I like Brett “The Pitbull” Myers…

He’s apt to go off-the-wall at anytime just like a pitbull.

57. Mike

March 17, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I have adopted “The Redneck Express”. It just works.

And Blanton is definitely “Heavy B”, but if we want something to fit with Brett’s, how about “The Redneck Freight Train”?

58. Hyden

August 23, 2009 at 1:44 am

great post, thanks for providing so much. Keep up the good posts.! http://www.hoover-f5914900.com