News

Breaking News: Park Wins Fight For Fifth

UPDATE (5:13 p.m.): Now Lauber says there’s no set destination for Happ yet. There are, certainly, more factors in play here.

***

UPDATE (4:15 p.m.): David Murphy reports JA Happ will start the season in the bullpen.

***

Ruben Amaro Jr. says Chan Ho Park has won the fifth-starter job, according to Scott Lauber via Twitter.

1. Good Night Joe Carter

March 31, 2009 at 3:55 pm

They did the right thing. I’m really pleased with the choice.

2. BigDaddy

March 31, 2009 at 3:55 pm

MLB Network reports: PHILS release Geoff Jenkins

March 31, 2009 at 3:56 pm

AHHHH! So much stuff going on…what a busy day!
    I guess all I have to say is congratulations Ho!

4. Tim Malcolm

March 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm

BigDaddy: Post is below this.

5. Phil

March 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Park deserved it.

6. Ed

March 31, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Just so we are clear…you heard it here first. Randy Wolf had his Wolfmen. Vincente had his Padilla Flottia or however you spell it. Chan Ho Park should now have the HO TRAIN!! Who wants to get it started? Can I copyright that?

7. Mike W.

March 31, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I dont like this move. It might be the best move for this year. But if Happ goes to the bpen, it has serious chances of screwing up his career.

8. CT

March 31, 2009 at 4:18 pm

i see Happ starting this season at some point. Myers and Moyer have a chance of under performing, and Hamels has a slight injury chance (fingers crossed and praying no). but it’s good to have Happ as insurance in the starting pitching department.

9. Havoc

March 31, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Nice job Park! I’m fine with Happ starting in LHV or the bullpen as long as we don’t trade him. Happ is in our rotation next year no doubt, and possibly this year if injuries happen.

10. blough

March 31, 2009 at 4:44 pm

i want a ticket on the HO Train.

11. KevO

March 31, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I have a feeling that Happ is going to be taking Moyers spot in the rotation sometime this year…

12. Fred

March 31, 2009 at 4:49 pm

personally i dislike the move because Happ has performed well in ST as has Park, granted. However, Park has a poor history as a starter and is only getting older. Happ has #3potential and is ready for the show, whilst Park probably has more value as an arm in the pen where he can pump it up and be a key late innings guy/long man if needed. Happ showed last year he is more than good enough to start, yet not comfortable in the pen.

13. Fred

March 31, 2009 at 4:57 pm

and please please please go and sign sheffield, he hit 19 HR’s last year whilst Cairo has 27 for his career. Cairo is essentially a poor mans Bruntlett, and for 400k you cannot go wrong with a power threat like sheffield of the bench. Guy crushes lefties and takes a walk also.

14. TJ

March 31, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Ed: I’ll actually do it with some of my buddies at a game and when you see us on Tv, you’ll know it was you’re idea. Fair enough?

15. PhilsFan

March 31, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Why are some people even talking about Jamie Moyer being pulled from the rotation. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. He might be 46 years old but you got to remember he won the most games for us last year.

16. KRUKS LEFT NUT

March 31, 2009 at 6:34 pm

SEOUL MAN !!!!!!

17. KevO

March 31, 2009 at 7:54 pm

PhilsFan, because hes been bad this spring, hes 46 years old, and if he starts getting lit up, why not pull him from the rotation and put the 26 year old Happ in?

18. Paul Abbott

March 31, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Moyer’s last start wasn’t so hot, but other than that I have not heard any bad news concerning his outings.

As for Chan Ho-Park, I wrote a billion times that I wanted Happ to win. I still want him to win. But at the end of the day, Park earned it. He has been nothing short of brilliant and I am happy for him. He’s got heart and his stuff is better than ever.

19. Havoc

March 31, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I love what Moyer did for us, and I’m glad the Phils gave him a new contract. However, the thing about older pitchers even ones as good as Moyer is you never know when the arm is going to finally be gone. Everybody has their limits. I think Moyer could have a nice season for the phils, but… I like that we have another lefty who can step in if something happens.

20. Tyler

March 31, 2009 at 9:35 pm

ok guys… wats the rotation? here’s mine:
    1. hamels
    2. myers/carrasco
    3. blanton
    4. moyer/happ
    5. park/carrasco
    I think at least two ppl will falter this year and i have specified who the most likely are and their replacements. i believe moyer will go first which is why i only listed happ once.

21. Dongchimi

April 6, 2009 at 11:12 pm

To KRUKS LEFT NUT …
    Its actually GONG MAN. CHP is from small farming town called Gong Ju.