DWIPP: 13- Arthur Rhodes, 2006 – Phillies Nation
DWIPP

DWIPP: 13- Arthur Rhodes, 2006

13. Arthur Rhodes in 2006

In 45.2 innings with the Phillies in 2006, Rhodes was 0-5 with a 5.32 ERA and 1.67 WHIP. He also blew 3 saves that year, which was huge as the Phillies were in the thick of a wild card race.

At Citizen’s Bank Park, Rhodes was 0-3  with a 7.32 ERA in 2006.  In 8 games in July, Rhodes had an ERA of 11.12.

Rhodes will be known as the pitcher who blew a save in the 10th inning on the night Ryan Howard broke the Phillies all time single season home run record. Two days later, he blew another yet another save while the wild card race intensified.

Rhodes is currently on the Cincinnati Reds.  Last season in Seattle and Florida, Rhodes was 4-1 with a 2.04 ERA in 35.1 innings of work.  He did not allow a home run.

1. From Section 113

March 19, 2009 at 10:22 am

He was one of those pitchers that ALWAYS killed us. If he pitched against us, he killed us, if he pitched for us, he killed us!

At least tht’s how it seemed

2. Jason B.

March 19, 2009 at 10:41 am

This list gets more and more depressing as it goes. By the time we get to number 1 I will have attempted to end my life approximately 8 1/3 times. Thanks for list Amanda… Well written, well thought out, well goodbye to my loved ones.

3. Amanda Orr

March 19, 2009 at 10:54 am

Haha, I’m sorry Jason. Just remember one thing: 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

4. Georgie

March 19, 2009 at 11:10 am

That’s right Amanda, I’ve learned from many years of following Philly teams that reflecting on the not so good times makes you appreciate the championships (few and far between as they may be) even more. Jason, if you do that you’ll miss the 2009 WFC!

5. James Kay

March 19, 2009 at 11:39 am

Man, that guy was awful. He left some very unpleasant memory burns. And now he is doing reasonably well?

Agreed that the exasperating seasons make the successful ones even sweeter.

6. Phan in TN

March 19, 2009 at 11:45 am

Jason B,

would you bequeath me your Green Phillies cap?

Just write me into your will.

also, are you the “commish” on philly.com?

7. Rob

March 19, 2009 at 12:41 pm

This list is a waste of time.

8. Phan in TN

March 20, 2009 at 7:04 am

I would respectfully disagree with you, Rob.

I am entertained and informed by this list and and I’m sure that there may be a few more people like me in this regard. I simply didn’t want this blog post by Miss Orr to be condemned out of hand.

9. Greg B

March 20, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Arthur Lee! Arthur Lee!
    I will agree that this was one of the worst pitching seasons in my recent memory. I called him the Arsonist because not only would he not extinguish any fires, he would start his own.

10. Brooks

March 21, 2009 at 8:41 am

I am looking for the table setter – Jose Mesa – not the worst since I have been in Philly but definitely near to!

11. Brooks

March 21, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Sorry, to clarify, 2003 & 2007 when Jose pitched for the Phils, his ERA was about 6 each year. I guess the reasons he was around for so long is that 2001 & 2002 he saved a combined 87 games for the Phils.