DWIPP: 15- Geoff Geary, 2004

This is a countdown of the Philadelphia Phillies worst individual pitching performaces since the year 2000.

15. Geoff Geary in 2004

In 2004, Geary split time between the majors and minors. He struggled during his time in the big leagues, having the worst year of his Phillies career.

In 47.2 innings, Geary had an ERA of 5.44 and WHIP of 1.52. Opponents batted .292 off the right hander and slugged .528 off him.

2004 was the first year for Citizen’s Bank Park and Geary did not fare well at the new ballpark. He had a 6.66 ERA at home. Geary also could have benefited from rest because he had a 10.29 ERA on days he pitched back to back.

Last offseason, the Houston Astros acquired Geary in the trade that brought Brad Lidge to Philadelphia.  Geary spent time on the disabled list last season, but in 64 innings, he had a 2.53 ERA, the lowest of his career.

1. Geoff

March 17, 2009 at 10:33 am

Adam Eaton better be on this list.

2. Chooch's Cooches

March 17, 2009 at 10:35 am

Not only does Geary suck, but he also hates phils phans. BOOOOOOOOO GEOFF GEARY.

3. BurrGundy

March 17, 2009 at 10:40 am

I never thought this guy would make it in the majors. I think he and Ed Wade were very close. I hope Geary pitches well against every team but the Phils.

4. Jason B.

March 17, 2009 at 10:41 am

Geoff, rest assured, Adam Eaton will have not one but two places on this list.

In 04, when I saw Geoff Geary entering the game I knew that the game was over and rather than pay for overpriced beers in the ball park, I would go out to my car and drink with my buddies who didn’t go into the game. He was awful. The only reason he has an ERA under 3 in Houston is becaue it is like 800 ft to straight away center, with a flag pole to hit the ball past. When you put the ball right down the middle of the plate chances are, it’s getting drilled to straightaway center.

5. Brett

March 17, 2009 at 10:43 am

Yeah, I was gonna say, Eaton deserves a couple spots.

6. Bruce

March 17, 2009 at 10:44 am

I would put Freddy Garcia on Amanda’s list but he was having arm injury problem before the season (2007) even started. And the Phillies didn’t bother with the physical exam before signing him? Consequently, he had only 11 starts (58 innings total) before going on the DL.

7. Don M

March 17, 2009 at 10:50 am

Eaton 2007 = 10 Wins, 10 Losses, 6.19 ERA!!! 1.63 WHIP, .301 BAvgA

Jon Leiber 2006 = 9 Wins -11 Losses, 4.93 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, .291 BAvgA

… I’m pretty sure Leiber was our “ACE” that year, right?

8. Harper, Professional Proofreader

March 17, 2009 at 11:02 am

It’s fare well.

9. MG

March 17, 2009 at 11:18 am

Never understood the hate that Geary got in Philly. Completely unwarranted. Posted 3 relatively solid seasons for the Phils from 2005-07 and people conveniently overlook the fact that Geary was a key part of the Phils’ pen in the pennant run during late Aug/Sept. of ’07.

10. Don M

March 17, 2009 at 11:22 am

I liked Geary up until he said recently that he had problems with “some fans” and it ruined his view of the city and fans or something..

he was a journeyman pitcher.. with some good games, and some bad games..

11. Geoff

March 17, 2009 at 11:30 am

You know who was really bad in the 07 run? he had ONE good game where he got through like 3 scoreless innings down the stretch, but the whole rest of the year he sucked terribly….Jose Mesa was a gas can in ’07

12. Geoff

March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

Eaton even got shelled by the nationals the second to last day of the season when they couldve won the division a day early

13. Fred

March 17, 2009 at 11:51 am

Geary was a pretty solid middle reliever, and did a nice job for the Phils in 06 and 07. Not a journeyman either, since the only team he’s played for besides us is the Astros.

14. Chuck P

March 17, 2009 at 12:13 pm

YESSSS!!!! This means that I get to post my Geoff Geary foul ball clip again! See multimedia, Geary fouls ball off face.

What a schmuck… this comment will live in my mind forever (talking about the world series victory/parade):

“…it would be really cool to be sitting on a soapbox, looking down with 25 of your best buddies and saying, ‘Yeah, now what? Say something negative about me now.’ ”

Good riddance…

15. Joe O'Phillie

March 17, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I have a problem with “some fans” too. “Some fans” are jerks.

Geary in 2004 was a nightmare. Turned out to be solid in the following years and helped bring us Lidge. For that, we thank him.

16. Don M

March 17, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I meant that talent-wise… never a solid piece in anyone’s pen.. never anything really all that valuable

He’s a journeyman the same way I would call Clay Condrey a journeyman…. I think it pretty accurately describes that type of pitcher.

It means that you can be good, or you can be bad… you’re good enough to have a job in the majors

17. Don M

March 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm

freakin Geary has a career 3.67 ERA… and he’s had a few VERY good years..

If I had to bet my life on it, I would have said he was a 4.50+ ERA for his career

March 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Remember this thing is for worst performances in a season, not necessarily the worst pitcher overall. So his good years don’t count. Sorry Geoff.

19. Chuck P

March 17, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I’m not one of those fans… by any means. I respectfully voice my opinion with a boo when I feel that a boo is necessary… I understand the game and I understand the focus and effort that it takes to be successful; if I feel that someone is not prepared or is not giving 100%, I will let him know it. Geary has always rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed like he was a bit unprofessional and very arrogant (you can understand the make up of a player when he’s not doing well). He is not owed anything, in my opinion, but he seems to think that he is. It is our job to be critical… we effectively pay his salary. If he can’t deal with that, he shouldn’t be a professional ball player. He was a below average middle reliever during his tenure in Philadelphia…

20. jmus

March 17, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Geary is pretty solid relief in mlb the show 07 for ps2 if that counts for anything…

21. clktwr14

March 17, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Bruce, not to split hairs or anyhting the Phils traded for Garica, he wasn’t a free agent signing, we gave Gavin Folyd and Gio Gonazlez to White Sox, for him and just like Geary a change of scenery and a change of coaching can do for a player, just a thought.

22. tim mccarver sucks

March 17, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I remeber seeing him pitch against the mets and I thought I was watching a glorified Mets batting practice. He is terrible and he hates philly fans so he needs to be booed and told how bad he is.

23. Herschel Jorski

February 1, 2010 at 2:07 am

Go Saints! Become a fan of facebook page here: Colts Will Lose Super Bowl 2010!