Ellison's Double Wins It For Phillies, 2-1 – Phillies Nation
Posts

Ellison's Double Wins It For Phillies, 2-1

With the largest crowd at Bright House Field in attendance, the Phillies did not let them down, winning a nail-biting contest, 2-1 over the Cardinals.

Jason Ellison’s RBI double won the game in the ninth, but there were multiple stories in this fascinating spring game. First, Chase Utley returned to the field with an 0-for-2 effort in his first Grapefruit League action. Second, Chan Ho Park recaptured the lead in the Fight For Fifth with a 4.2 inning, six-strikeout effort. He was purely dominant. And third, we cringed at the sight of Raul Ibanez trying to field a routine base hit.

Aside from that, it was an extremely entertaining contest. Jayson Werth knocked a left-field home run in the first inning off Kyle Lohse. The Cardinals scored off Antonio Bastardo, who went two innings and struck out two. Greg Dobbs and Miguel Cairo also had two hits — Cairo’s last became the winning run.

1. Chutley

March 15, 2009 at 4:13 pm

great game i thought you guys were gonna get let down with a 1-1 tie. awesome game by Park, he’s got the number 5 spot as of now i think. lt’ll be interesting to see if kendrik can regain some respect with a good outting tomorrow

2. Rob

March 15, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I was there this afternoon. Bright House Networks Field broke their all time attendance record with over 10,000.

Park looked fantastic. I was very impressed and as far as I’m concerned, I’d really like to see him in the #5 spot… he’s been there, done that, and after seeing him it’s clear he is comfortable on the mound and on this team.

3. Jeff

March 15, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Rob I agree,

I like Haap and see him in the future taking Moyer’s lefty spot, but Park may be very serviceable right hander in the rotation which is what we need.

4. Good Night Joe Carter

March 15, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Park chose to sign with the Phillies because they promised to give him a shot at a spot in the rotation. If he pitches as solidly as he has been for the entire spring and they don’t give him that spot, it would seem very unfair.

5. Brooks

March 15, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I did not watch the entire game but what I did see was:
    – a very stingy strike zone by the umpires!
    – a ball that was hit to Ibanez that rolled between his legs – Omy!

Ibanez nearly equaled this feat by his plate appearances, Howard did not fare much better as he looked very inept in his 3 pitch swinging strike out.

Wow… no, I am not worried, really! Just, ,wow…

6. Chuck P

March 16, 2009 at 6:53 am

Hate to say I told you so… Park as the 5th starter and Happ sticking around as a lefty-long inning-injury insurance pitcher. Hopefully, Happ can find an everyday spot later in the sesaon but for right now, Park has done everything to prove himself in his spring audition… not that Happ hasn’t… but Park is a veteran and he can definitely give us what we need as a #5 starter. Too many pitchers… a lovely problem to have.

March 16, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Ibañez’ ugly play here:

Makes me CRINGE! I try to remember his recent strong, accurate throw to Chooch and a recent sliding catch he made in LF. But I don’t think that’s enough!