Report: Sheffield Chances 'Very Slim'

Andy Martino reports one Phillies official said the chances of the Phils signing Gary Sheffield were “very slim,” while multiple team sources tended to concur.

Martino listed some reasons it didn’t seem likely, and they’re all accurate: Sheffield isn’t quite a pinch hitter; he didn’t play well in 2008; he’s not a field player anymore; he has character issues. While I can see the Phils getting around these four things somewhat, the idea of them having to get around them likely spells a negative.

1. Chutley

March 31, 2009 at 8:47 pm

i hate him. Please please please, don’t sign him.

2. tim mccarver sucks

March 31, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Buster onley says the phillies are very close to a deal.

3. Tim Malcolm

March 31, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Olney said the Phils were the best fit for him.

4. BurrGundy

March 31, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Those are four very good reasons to avoid Sheffield. Maybe it is Mayberry time after all.

5. mike

March 31, 2009 at 9:02 pm

They said he can’t play the outfield anymore?

6. foul ball

March 31, 2009 at 9:21 pm

he is a terrible club house guy…. he will bash the tigers and jim leyland once her gets a chance at the media….. he will be terrible for a loose club house and to a good manger like charles.

7. Tyler

March 31, 2009 at 9:30 pm

March 31, 2009 at 9:59 pm

No Sheffield pleeeeeeeease

9. Mike59

March 31, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with the “do not want Sheffield camp”. I can’t imagine he’d be happy with the limited role he’d have with the Phils. I’m actually quite surprised Jenkins was released over Stairs. It seems like the front office is willing to put the best team on the field even if it means eating some money (Eaton, now Jenkins) to do it. There was a time when that wasn’t always the case.

10. Mickey D

March 31, 2009 at 11:42 pm

What you said, plus it’s only a matter of time before the “ring of ‘roids” surrounds him and my guess is it’ll be after he hits the 500th HR.

11. Chris.I

April 1, 2009 at 12:29 am

God, I hope they don’t sign Sheffield…One word…Kenny Powers, haha. Yea, but seriously this guy was among the leauges best at one time, but lets face it…Them days are gone! His AVG dropped a hell of alot, along with his power in these past fer years. PLUS he’s a freaking head case! He’ll only be adding neggativity in one of the most laid back, fun having bunch of guys…Giving the Mets, and every other team in the National leauge an even larger target on our backs. Mayberry would be much cheaper…Plus he’s young, faster, and can ”actually” play defense incase something were to happen.

12. Fred

April 1, 2009 at 4:40 am

its all good and well saying bring mayberry up to play part time, but then you stunt his development. You need to leave him where he has regular AB’s

13. Jeff Y.

April 1, 2009 at 6:54 am

Do not sign this bag of shit.

14. kathie Brenneman

April 1, 2009 at 8:49 am

“While I can see the Phils getting around these four things somewhat, the idea of them having to get around them likely spells a negative.”

15. Don M

April 1, 2009 at 9:14 am

Who is the best available RH Power Hitter ??? And since that is our main need, shouldn’t we go get him? For $400,000 … if he’s bad you let him go, and with Mayberry having played everyday in AAA to that point, maybe he would be more prepared for a second-half callup to the big leagues.

I heard yesterday that the Phillies repeating this season does not hinge on whether or not they sign Gary Sheffield to a bench-role.. couldn’t agree more

16. Don M

April 1, 2009 at 9:19 am

Something else I thought was interesting.. In Buster Olney’s interview last night on 950am.. he said that Jenkins was released because …-Stairs is clearly the superior player-…

I thought the opposite..

April 1, 2009 at 9:31 am

Don, I also thought and still think that Jenkins is the superior player… I guess they were thinking that Stairs has been considerably better in this ST. I don’t mind seeing Stairs stepping up to the plate…. but I really, REALLY would hate seeing him out there fielding… Ugh, can he even run? He’s like the least athletic guy on our roster.

18. Good Night Joe Carter

April 1, 2009 at 9:33 am

Given the choice, if Andruw Jones ends up being released by the Rangers (which is not a certainty) and can be picked up in the same kind of minimum deal, he may be a lower risk/higher reward option than Sheffield. He’s 8 years younger, is batting in the .270’s this spring, and can certainly play the outfield when needed. And, with Charlie and Milt working with him, maybe he can find his lost swing again.

19. beta sigma shag

April 1, 2009 at 9:56 am

I would have to agree, no sheffy, and if Adrew Jones(I know that is spelled wrong) is available, he would definitly have a bigger upside then sheffy, and I dont think is as much a pain in the ass. I mean he was way over weight last year, is jones in shape this year, if you can get him for the same or a little more than sheffy I would like to see AJones in a phillies uniform

20. Bob S

April 1, 2009 at 9:56 am

When I heard the runor I thought it would be an awesome fit as a righty off teh bench. Everyone seems to agree that he would be bad for the clubhouse. We can’t afford that. But his price is affordable. It seemed the Phillies did this as a knee jerk reaction to the Sheffield release!

April 1, 2009 at 10:31 am

The guy admitted that he purposely threw balls away as a third baseman to get traded from the Brewers. This piece of roided shit does not even deserve a thread on this great site.

22. NJ

April 1, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Hows about Wily Mo ‘Bench Bat’, if your going to roll the dice for the chance of some right-naded power off the bench hoping to catch lightning in a bottle that’s the guy if he can adapt to the role