Nation Minute

The Nation Minute – 03.10.09

In today’s Minute, we go back to the loss to the Reds, look ahead to some returning players and glance at the present bullpen competition.

As always, e-mail me with questions and comments about anything at

1. Brooks

March 10, 2009 at 6:44 am

Tim, what is the real lure for the World Classic series? It certainly is not the best of the best playing, it takes away time that might be better suited to playing along side of your team mates in Spring Training – I watched an MLB veteran, HOF player chat some about the WC and the question was asked if he would participate. He said back then he would have felt honored to be asked to play but would not since his team mates would have given him the business about not being in the trenches with his team from the start.
    I dont like it, I dont care to follow it, it does not matter to me what Japan, Italy, the Netherlands, etc does – boring! Means nothing at all to me. Time away from your team, new team mates, perhaps new coaches, new strategies – nah, hopefully soon there will be no more separation unless they decide to change the time when these games are played.

2. Tim Malcolm

March 10, 2009 at 6:48 am

I wrote about this Sunday. It’s great on an international amateur level (see Netherlands, Australia) but takes away from the game on a professional level.

3. Tim Malcolm

March 10, 2009 at 6:49 am

Also, sorry, I keep writing and saying Joe Borkowski when it’s Dave Borkowski. I know there are two – Joe Borowski and then Dave Borkowski – I just keep slipping on Borkowski. Sorry about that.

4. Jason B.

March 10, 2009 at 8:38 am

Tim, you’re Irish? Also, love the massive amount of beer bottles on top of your cabinets! Internet journalism at it’s absolute best!

5. Albert

March 10, 2009 at 8:49 am

I think its hard to say who has the early edge for a spot in the pen, though I would have to agree with Tim and say Majewski might win if the season started today. Its a long spring so a lot can change from now till opening day.

6. Phan in TN

March 10, 2009 at 8:52 am

Two notes:

1. I found philliesnation on facebook!
    2. I actually listened to the Phillies lose to the reds on MLB.TV

I am also cheering for Maj

March 10, 2009 at 8:58 am

Brooks, I care. I follow it. It’s good, competitive baseball in March. Great preparation for the MLB season when hitters actually have to face top pitchers throwing things other than strikes and fastballs. You clearly haven’t seen a single game because they have been pretty good. You’re placing the MLB season over baseball itself, and it’s the other way around.

8. Don M

March 10, 2009 at 9:12 am

I like the WBC because its 1000x more intense than a spring training game.. and playing along side other All-Stars, MVPs, and Hall-of-Fame players will surely have you more intrested than playing next to AA ballplayers from your own organization.

on Baseball Tonight yesterday they made a great point.. that maybe directly following the World Series would be the best time, and more players would want to participate since they would still have time to recover before the next season begins.. but they were previously afraid of competing with the NFL in the fall..

9. BurrGundy

March 10, 2009 at 10:08 am

Brooks, I think your comments are so scating that they will cancel the WBC after this season. You have one of those potent pens. You passionate dislike really means that you are horny for baseball and ashamed that you get excited over such a little thing. Good Luck, Fella

10. Albert

March 10, 2009 at 11:43 am

I rescind my previous opinion on Majewski. I hope he doesn’t make the club because he looks too much like Geoff Geary, and I don’t want that negativity in the bullpen.

Actually, he should just cut his hair.

11. Chuck P

March 10, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Brooks, I was not a fan of the WBC until this year… compared to spring training, there is really no comparison. There have been some really good games and the competition is phenomenal. Where else can you find a team that boasts Derek Jeter as a backup shortstop? If you’re a homer… team USA is awesome and they look like they’re having a lot of fun (and playing pretty good baseball, too)… the Dominican Republic is stacked, Japan has phenomenal pitching and every country plays with pride. Llooking for some pitching prospects… Yu Darvish, Shusuke Watanabe, Minoru Iwata and Hideaki Wakui are featured among the many talented Japanese pitchers.

12. Brooks

March 10, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Sorry to dissappoint you burrbaby but I really dont have a boner for the Phils but I know the rumba session that most WCB games are is not my jar of belly beans, fella

13. Brooks

March 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Did you mean scathing btw? I rather took that word at is most likely deritive