100 Greatest Phillies

Top 100 Greatest Phillies Roundup

With the unveiling of Mike Schmidt as the Greatest Phillie of All Time, the top 100 list draws to a close.  Many thanks to Tim for compiling the list and more importantly the stories on each player – quite a collection.  For reference, the full list of the 100 Greatest Phillies is available here.

The end of the list also means that it is time to announce the winners of the Guess the Top 10 contest.  Out of 200 entries only 2 people came close. Reid from Washington, DC and Mick from Essex, CT both correctly identified the top 6 Phillies according to the list.  They will receive Phillies Nation t-shirts for their prognostications.  Thanks to everyone who participated.

1. Phan in TN

March 27, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I have to ask this…how close was I?

2. Jeff Y.

March 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Where were Pete Rose and Tony Taylor? I thought they should have been on the list.

3. Chuck P

March 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Look at the list… Rose was in the 50’s and Taylor was in the 80’s.

4. James Kay

March 27, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Thanks for finally displaying my “Praise and Stab” post in the Schmidt thread. The long delay made me think it was given the permanent kibosh. I was beginning to feel like the Lenny Bruce of the philliesnation site.

5. the lopez!

March 27, 2009 at 7:51 pm

will there be a 100 worst phillies?

would jd drew be the tops of the list?

6. Rob Cowie

March 27, 2009 at 8:17 pm

sometimes things get caught up in the Spam Filter that shouldn’t. As long as you keep it clean, your all good.

7. ashmidt

April 5, 2009 at 8:59 am

it was really fun following your list everyday, i looked forward to it, thanks for all of your hard work, i have to tip my cap to you, you are the #1 phillies fan in my book, in a future list if there is going to be one, i think you should give the everyday players a little more credit, guys like brogna , covington and demeter to name a few should be on your list before lerch ,ricky bo and mesa, just my humble opinion. thanks again.

8. Gator

April 21, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Tim, great work on the list.
    Tremendous amounts of research and diligence involved, as well as futile speculations that will make noone happy but being true to yerself.
    That being said, oddly enough (pun intended), one of my favorite Phils will always be Jim Eisenreich–my first live Phils game was in Connie Mack so i’ve seen a lot of games. as a scratch .300 hitter and plate-setter ala greg gross i thought he deserved a consideration over Madson and Moyer who haven’t had sustained Phils credentials over an extended period. that being said i noticed Lidge or Wagner weren’t on the list so i guess you look at the entire tenure.
    again, thanks for the list which has already given me some of my 40+ yrs as a Phillies fan, some nostalgic joy.
    gate

9. leon ward

July 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

Mike Schmidt #1? Tony Taylor #87? Based in what? Ask the old-timers who followed the Phillies through years.

No. 1 – Robin Roberts
    No. 2 – Steve Carlton
    No. 3 -Mike Schmidt
    Tony Taylor should be in the top 20, at least.

Current stars such as Ryan Howard may top the list when their careers are done.