Analysis

Analysis: Myers Located Too Much

In yesterday’s game, Brett Myers ran into a lot of trouble, specifically in the third inning. He walked pitcher Scott Olsen, then walked in a run.

“I got a little upset with myself with missing my spots and kind of let it get to me. I’m better than that. I wasn’t trying to walk the pitcher. I’m trying to throw strikes. It just didn’t happen, and ultimately, it cost me a run.”

Watching that third inning, it’s almost as if Myers got ticked after the Anderson Hernandez double. In getting ticked, he started trying to finely locate his pitches. Olsen was earning strikes on low fastballs; Myers kept gunning for that zone, but missed by two to three inches each time. It was at a point where I was yelling at Myers to stop focusing in on that part of the zone.

Myers can’t be a thrower. But sometimes he needs to just throw to get himself back in a groove. Especially when someone breaks his concentration. We always knew Myers was complex.

Click to comment

1. BurrGundy

April 30, 2009 at 11:53 am

Just plain dumb — that’s Brett Myers. Despite his talent, he just does not have the head for pitching. He never will, because he is virtually uncoachable. Past coaches have complained about his hard-headedness. Just ask Joe Kerrigan.

2. Bruce

April 30, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Getting past the stereotyped analysis (particularly on mental focus) of Myers, I do see evidence of maturity gained from last season’s experiences (including his brief stay in the minors). Meyers and Moyer have given us the few quality starts among the starters in the early going. I expect to see more of the same from them and hope the rest of starters will catch up with quality starts of their own. Now if only Hamels can stay away from those freakisk injuries…;-)

3. BurrGundy

April 30, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Remember: If Myers starts 35 games this year and at his $12,000,000 salary, he will earn over $340,000 a start. As a paying fan, I deserve more from this guy. than mediocrity. He, and players like him, are major reasons that it is getting harder and harder to bring my kids to games. We are paying his inflated salary and we have a right to raise hell about it. We expect more from him and other overpaid brats like him. I cheer hard for guys who give me my money’s worth. Let’s go, Phils !!!!

4. Chase Mutley

April 30, 2009 at 1:09 pm

@BurrGundy

I hate poor efforts as much as next guy but you have a pretty entitled attitude regarding baseball and how it relates to your price of admission. It’s a game. You are paying for the experience of watching the game in person. There is a winner and a loser in every single one. There are superstars who will play badly and there are unknowns who will hit walk-off homers. Your attitude is so similar to simpletons at restaurants who think that because they plunked down their $10.99 for the early-bird special they can bark at the waitress like she’s their slave.

If you want to put your money on a sure thing, go buy gold. If you’re not prepared for bad outtings where your team just might lose, then maybe going to baseball games isn’t for you. How about the next time you take your kids to a game, try and teach them that there’s a 50/50 chance that their team will lose and that’s ok. It’s a game. As a baseball fan, you’re not entitled to a 162 win season.

Your attitude is even more annoying because (a) the Phils spent a ton of money this offseason to put a quality product on the field unlike years past (b) THEY JUST WON A WORLD SERIES (c) of all people, Brett Myers has manned up to everything he’s ever done wrong. Brat? He could’ve very well not gone to the minors last year. This isn’t Adam Eaton (d) He had one bad inning in an otherwise good start. He only gave up three runs!!!!!

5. Don M

April 30, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Chase Mutley hits it right on the nose

Myers pitched well last night.. too many walks, but his line was good enough for his team to win.. the bats didn’t work out last night.

6. RG

April 30, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Actually, I’m pretty happy with Myers this year. He came to camp in good shape, he hasn’t be atrocious (like the rest of the starters), and he generally looks poised out there.

The reason he hasn’t been excellent is the longball. As soon as he corrects that, I expect him to reel off a bunch of nice starts.

7. RG

April 30, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Last night was mostly a case of bad luck for Brett. Yes, allowing a double to Hernandez is frustrating, and yes, the run he walked in (after that double) was completely on him. The other two runs he let up, however, were on weakly hit singles with eyes. If those balls are hit at somebody his pitch count goes down so he throws the seventh, and his run total goes down so he only gives up one – that’s an excellent start.

Sure you can argue luck both ways – the point is that a decent lineup with some sluggers didn’t hit him hard. If he can figure out how to avoid being hit hard (out of the park) on a regular basis, he’ll be real good.

8. BurrGundy

April 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Mr Mutley and Don M —

I appreciate your opinion, but I do not totally agree. I have been an ardent fan for over 50 years so I am not capricious in my opinion on Mr. Myers. I root for the guy. When I see a pitcher like Jake Peavy and Halliday and Oswald in the same category financially as Myers, it burns my butt up. I think Myers is indeed a fellow who needs a good kick in the loins. He showed how this affected him last year. He is a stubborn man-child that is not doing his part. We need to stop catering to him and show some solid tough love. We get results from him when we do this. ANd yes, baseball is an economic entity. We as fans have a right to expect results from those who earn the most. Let’s stop being Stepford wives. I am sorry for my annoying attitude and that it may upset you. I also have a lot of my life savings in the stock market, so I do not bet on sure things, either. The fact is this: I am intensely in love with my family, my church and my Phils. Also, I appreciate blogs like this that let me air my fandom out.

9. Don M

April 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm

All I ask from pitcers is that they give you a chance to win the ballgame..

10. RG

April 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Good kick in the loins? eish…

11. mikemike

April 30, 2009 at 5:19 pm

One of the things that I never could understand about sports. If I go to the game and they lose, I will be mad at the fact they lost, and if they are dogging it, but if a player is trying his hardest and is not good enough, isn’t it the talent evaluation that should be booed? If the phillies draft a kid in the first round and he just isn’t good enough why embarrass the player, he is doing the best he is capable,

12. Chase Mutley

April 30, 2009 at 5:27 pm

That’s kind of the point mikemike, I agree. Up until this year with the new, skinny, professional Brett Myers, I couldn’t effing stand the dude but that was just because he was a jackass off the field. He’s always been intense, he’s always given it his all, he went to the bullpen when asked, he went to the minors when asked. If his all isn’t worth $12mil then is that his fault? Wouldn’t that be Ed Wade’s fault? Of all people, Brett Myers is one person you can’t accuse of phoning it in.