Harry Kalas Was Baseball

My mother’s and father’s were the first two voices I heard after I was born. Now I’m not sure, but I would bet the third was the voice of Harry Kalas.

It was a stunning voice. His rich, regal baritone felt like the wind shaving across a midwestern field. He was an Illinois boy, honing his craft in the fields of Iowa – closely neighboring the fields where Richie Ashburn rooted. He moved to Hawaii, then to Houston, then to Philadelphia. Despite his youth, he carried that majestic voice, deep and hearty, assured and personable. It honestly felt like baseball.

And for millions of us, Kalas’ voice wasn’t simply something that felt like baseball, it was baseball. It was the first sound heard when we turned the radio dial, then it was the first sound heard when we clicked to the television. It greeted us to the park as if we sat there ourselves. His words wrapped around the hollow concourses of Veterans Stadium, echoed into the field, warmed us on those chilly summer nights. And yet it defined our lazy summer afternoons, sitting at the public pool, or on the stoop, or in our living rooms. It cradled our hopes and ambitions of a team that always let us down.

Harry never let us down.

Even if we had the opportunity to meet the man, he didn’t let us down. I attended a Philadelphia Sportswriters Banquet years ago, and during an intermission my brother took me outside for a cigarette. As we stood outside, I – no more than 12 – noticed him, that iconic image: Clean black tuxedo, well-quaffed gray hair, a cigarette in one hand, a glass of scotch in another. All alone, he contemplated the night sky. My brother and I walked past him, and I let it out, as if showing my father I could ride a bicycle:

“Long drive … watch that baby … outta here!”

He glanced over, chuckled and tipped his head to me. I could have floated in air.

That wasn’t my first run in with Harry. At age 6 he mulled over my scorecard during Terry Mulholland’s no hitter. Upon learning this news, no longer was the greatest joy that I witnessed a no hitter, but that Harry Kalas spoke about me on the air. That voice spent a few seconds with me.

Since those moments, I cherished Harry as he had grown older and, sadly, sicklier. We all knew it, and we all recognized it, but we didn’t dare speak about it. Scott Franzke denied ever thinking Harry would leave the booth. Even though we mocked his missed calls and premature vocal rises, we never, ever wanted him to leave the booth. Not our voice. Not our baseball.

Harry Kalas was baseball. And he was Philadelphia. He was as much part of the city as William Penn’s hat. As much part of the city as the green of the Walt Whitman Bridge. We would hear him on NFL Films and think “he’s our guy.” We would hear others speak about the golden voice and think “he’s our guy.” Our pride for Harry was greater than maybe our pride for the Phillies themselves.

Of course, that pride grew in 2008, the special season that redeemed our faith in the local baseball club. And when Brad Lidge uncorked that final slider, it was Harry’s call we longed to hear:

“The oh-two pitch – swing and a miss! Struck him out! The Philadelphia Phillies are two-thousand eight world champions of baseball!”

Just as we knew he’d call it. And it remains our lasting memory of Harry. It joins the bin with his iconic call of Mike Schmidt’s 500th home run as his greatest moments. There are numerous others, from Pat Burrell’s defiant home run off Brian Wilson last season, to Garry Maddox’s final out of the 1980 National League Championship Series. The phrases are etched in our minds: “Long drive!” “Struck ’em out!” “Could it be?!” “This ball’s outta here!” The character follows.

And what a character. We knew Harry loved a good drink, and we knew Harry loved a good time. Even at his most downtrodden when calling a game, he sounded somewhat optimistic. With Ashburn, he played the surprised straight man to Whitey’s guffaw and bluster. Together, they played like two uncles, men you knew instantly. And even after Richie died, Harry remained warm and cordial, sometimes straight to Larry Andersen’s dumbfounded northwestern everyman. But more than anything he grew into an exalted man, the kind of legendary person that Philadelphians hardly find. His name adorned a Citizens Bank Park restaurant. Yes, he was baseball.

In simpler times, though, Harry was the lazy summer afternoon, the chilly summer night, the open cornfields of Iowa, the steel and brick of Philadelphia. He was soothing even in the darkest days. He kept us coming back to the team no matter how bad it seemed. Not many can do such a thing.

To me, Harry is part of my family. He is my fifth uncle, my summer retreat. He is Phillies baseball. Throughout the 24 years of my life, there have been few constants, and besides my family, there has been the Phillies, and there has been Harry Kalas. For millions across the Delaware Valley and beyond, the feeling is exactly similar. So listening today was tough – Tom McCarthy and Chris Wheeler, and Gary Matthews and Larry Andersen filled the gaps well, but there was no voice. There was no regal baritone serenading me to the field. There was no optimistic tingle in the hearty chords. There was no “High Hopes.” There was no “outta here.”

In a way, there was no baseball.

But baseball proceeds. There will be a game Wednesday. And a game Thursday. And so on until the season ends, and another season begins. And so on. And we will proceed without Harry, without the voice. At some point, a new voice will emerge. Who knows which voice fills our lazy summer afternoons and chilly summer nights. Who knows which voice fills our stoops and living rooms. Maybe that voice will engage millions more the way Harry engaged us, but it sure won’t be the same. Not at all.

For yes, Harry Kalas was baseball in Philadelphia. He was my baseball. He was my voice. He was my uncle. And he was our friend.

Click to comment

1. Phil

April 13, 2009 at 6:39 pm

This was amazing Tim. Everything I’ve been feeling.

2. GWFightinsFan

April 13, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Wonderful tribute, Tim. Couldn’t have said it better myself…Harry you will be missed…. 🙁

3. Mike

April 13, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Great article Tim. I was at work when I heard the news. Im 37 years old. I started to cry in the bathroom. Harry was baseball. God I remember when I was a kid sneaking the radio under the blankets so my parents thought I was sleeping. His voice meant one thing, to escape reality for a few hours. I am so thankful he got a chance to see them win another one last season. I know Harry loved this team, these young players. Harry you were the greatest. Thank you for all those summers. May you and whitey keep calling the games from up above. You both will be missed forever. Godbless…..

4. Johnny Snowden

April 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm

So beautiful tim. Got my first radio when I was 5 back in 1987 and from then on, at least 162 days or nights a year wherever I was, he was on. I just … thank you for writing what I, what we all feel.

5. FinePlay

April 13, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Perfect piece, Tim.

We will miss you, Harry.

6. TIFF

April 13, 2009 at 7:01 pm

very well written Tim, I’m sitting here at work with tears in my eyes. Thank you. Harry the K will be sorely missed.

7. Phil

April 13, 2009 at 7:02 pm

They’re going to be playing yesterday’s Rockies game tonight on CSN since it was the last game Harry Kalas ever called.

8. Amanda Orr

April 13, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Great article Tim. Harry will be missed. His calls are the best, and watching the fightins will never be the same.

9. Elizabeth

April 13, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Thanks-what a beautiful tribute. Baseball will never be the same.

10. Keith

April 13, 2009 at 7:14 pm

RIP Harry, u were the best.

11. John

April 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Great Piece, Tim.
    On behalf of all Braves fans, we offer our deepest condolences.
    Though when the game is played we’re considered the opposition, it goes without saying that the game of baseball has lost one of the all-time greats.
    — John from

12. tim mccarver sucks

April 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Great job Tim. This is a great tribute to a great man who was a hero to all phans. He was the reason when the team wasnt to good we watched. I’ll miss him and thoughts and prayers goes out to his family and the phillies.

13. Sara

April 13, 2009 at 7:19 pm

it’s so hard to put into words what harry kalas has meant to my life, but your words were so wonderful to read. my mother used to have a “tv off at 10” rule, so i kept a little radio at the head of my bed and would turn it on as soon as we had to turn the tv off to listen to the rest of the game as i fell asleep each night. i can’t even begin to count the number of nights i fell asleep to the sound of his voice. i feel like he’s been everywhere with me, throughout my childhood and into my adult life, there with me every step of the way.

thank you for this.

14. Jeff

April 13, 2009 at 7:33 pm

15. VA Steve

April 13, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Harry was not only baseball, more importantly he was Philadelphia Baseball. We, as passionate fans, are so blessed to have had Harry behind the mic all of these years. Being 45 years old and listening to Phillies baseball for nearly 40, Harry is like a brother to all of us. The lean years, the playoff years, the championship years, he was there, often times with Whitey. His voice will forever resonate within me, and while the Phillies and baseball will go on, Phillies broadcasts will never the same. Thanks so much Harry, you have joined Whitey in a better place. My you bring the same joy to the baseball gods!

I will be at the Nats-Phillies game on Thursday, and as I look up at the press box, I know you will be looking down at your World Champions. God rest your soul!

16. ED

April 13, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Tim awonderful eulogy, It would be great if all of us could live alife like Harry. I dont think a better set of words could express what you said. You should offer this piece to the world of baseball and beyond. Thanks

17. Mike

April 13, 2009 at 7:45 pm

18. shermite

April 13, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Beautiful sentiment….you’ve said it all here…

19. Lori

April 13, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Beautifully said Tim, your Grandmom would be proud…she’s the first person I thought of when I heard the news. They’re sharing a drink at a baseball game in the sky! Love ya, Aunt Lori

20. Mazinman

April 13, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Very well said Tim. I hope the Phillies have something planned to honor the man in CBP were we can all be a part of it.

21. Becca

April 13, 2009 at 8:11 pm

great piece i couldnt have said it better myself. im reading all these comments of people who are older than me and i find myself feeling jealous that they got to listen to him for so long. i only had 18 years to listen to his wonderful voice, but no matter how long it was too short for everyone. he will be missed. harry kalas, you are the man.

22. Rich

April 13, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Tim, I think you and I are about the same age. Harry Kalas is the only voice we’ve ever known. That I got to hear him call that last out of the World Series feels extra rewarding tonight. It’s the saddest day I’ve ever had as a Phillies fan.

23. TS

April 13, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Well said, Tim. I’m sorry to say I don’t have quite the history you do with Harry the K – I was raised in the Philadelphia area with a father who was a Pirates fan (recently a converted Phillies fan) and in my early teens as a baseball fanatic I found it hard to follow the disappointing Phillies. However the past 6 years or so Harry’s been the voice of my summer and I couldn’t help but get a little choked up while watching today’s Post Game Live. You can tell he was a genuinely nice man. He’ll certainly be missed.

24. David

April 13, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Tim. I was at the game today when I heard. At first I couldn’t believe it. I felt like my favorite Uncle had died. I was in shock. When I told other random Phillies fans the sad news, they had the same reaction. Harry was part of the Delaware Valley Family. I can recall fondly sitting the backyard on a warm summer’s day in Wilmington grilling burgers with my dad with that voice, that wonderful, gift of God voice, in the background. Part of my childhood went away today forever. I’m sure everyone will agree, that it was great that Harry got to call the World Champs final out last year. We’ve been blessed for him to be a part of our lives.

25. SJ Mike

April 13, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I was at the game for Jim Thome’s 400th homerun. I then stood through several hours’ worth of rain delays until the end of the game. As soon as I got home though, the first thing I did was look up and listen to Harry’s call “Could it be? Number 400! Take a bow, Big Man!”

This was true for any Phils game I was at where something big and exciting happened. I had to make sure I heard Harry’s call when I got home from the ballpark.

26. Richie Allen

April 13, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I really got into Phillies baseball in the early 70’s,started noticing Harry’s voice at about age 12 or 13.Sooo professional.The phillies had very bad teams then,but Harry and Richie Ashburn had that something that was just right on a summer night on the radio while hanging with good friends.
    I cant describe exactly what it was,only that it kept me interested in the Phils to this day.
    I’m going to miss him,we are all going to miss him.There is no replacement.
    He wasnt just a voice,he was like a monument in the booth.

27. Keith

April 13, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Nice piece, Tim. No sadness for me though. Harry was the someone we can think of whenever we hear the phrase “a life well lived”. A good man that led a good and charmed life. We should all be so lucky.

28. Chooch's Cooches

April 13, 2009 at 8:44 pm

MLB’s new campaign slogan is “THis is beyond baseball.” It couldn’t be more true today.

29. Mark

April 13, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Tim, I remeber that Sports Writer Banquet, those Sunday afternoons and how about on the beach in Wildwood. You couldnt have said it any better, he will be missed, he will always be part of us, the Phillies will never be the same. It feels like a piece of us has moved on. I can see Harry, Whitey and Granny, drinking there Schmitts and Harry describing what it was like to be a Phillies Phan last October…..Love Ya Bro

30. Sean

April 13, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Well said, brother. He brought us all together and knew how to take us through the emotions we were always feeling.

My goodbye to Harry:

31. Cole Lat

April 13, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hey guys,
    I’ve been checking this website religiously for about a year now but this is my first post. First off tim what a wonderful article you’ve echoed all of our sentiments perfectly. It brought a tear to my eye reading all of the comments from today and how Harry was such a big part of all of your lives. I was listening to espn radio today on my way back to school (st john’s university) and as soon as they announced that harry had been found passed out in the announce booth I called my best friend, who is also a hardcore phils fan, at work and the first words out of my mouth were “i hope you’re not busy. Are you ready to cry?” Only being 22 years old harry kalas is the phillies to me. It’s hard to imagine that i’ll never hear him give another “long drive.. outta hear” call for a howard long ball or a “chase utley you are the man” after a diving stop by our second baseman.
    Today is a sad day to be a phillies fan for sure
    RIP Harry thank you for all the memories and for touching all of our lives
    You will be greatly missed!

32. Estebomb

April 13, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Fantastic article Tim. Thank you.

33. Andrew

April 13, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Great article. Love your writing. Harry, you will be missed.

34. Paula

April 13, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Tim, you’ve eloquently stated what I’ve been feeling since I heard the news this evening. I was born in 1980, so I’ve always joked that I’m contractually obligated to be a Phillies fan, but what kept me close to the game, even during the losing seasons, was Harry’s voice. My mom said that she’s not sure she can watch or listen to games now, especially since our family shared the 2008 World Series call by muting the television to hear Harry call the final out. I think I can, but it will be so different. I talked to a student of mine last year who preferred Tom McCarthy to call the game, and I had to “correct” him and tell him why I preferred Harry; calling him “The Voice” is as close as anyone can get in words to describing him, but even that doesn’t come close. Right now I’m devastated by the loss of Harry Kalas, but at least I have wonderful auditory memories to recall for the rest of my life.

35. Gavin

April 13, 2009 at 9:47 pm

How can you improve on perfection?

I still cant imagine turning on the Phils without hearing his voice. Harry was my favorite Philly of all time. For 32 years I’ve rooted for the Phils (I’m 35). No matter how bad they were, Harry was still the best. No matter who came and who left, Harry was always there for us. No matter how we lost or if we won, Harry was there to share it with us and you knew he was as big a fan as you were.

I just watched the WS video and listening to his calls. They are poetry. They flow. They are perfection. You’re going to be missed more than I think even we know tonight. My saddest day ever as a Fightin’ Phil.

36. Isaiah

April 13, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Hey if anyone can get the audio of his last calls up here, that’d be great. Thanks.

37. dan48

April 13, 2009 at 9:57 pm

wow tim, just got really dusty here

38. jcfriedl

April 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm …from the broadcast today.

39. t

April 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm

we all lost a friend

40. SJ Mike

April 13, 2009 at 10:23 pm

jcfriedl, your video there is private. Can’t view it.

41. Jim

April 13, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Thank you Harry.

42. GreysFan

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I have to echo several other’s thoughts. I am nearly 59 years old and have rarely been moved to tears by the death of someone I didn’t know personally, but one time was when Whitey died and again today for Harry Kalas. I was born in Philly in 1950 and the Phillies have been in blood every since, but I only lived there for a few years in my childhood and then a few more in my 20’s. As a result, I’ve always been mostly a radio (and occasional tv) fan. As a kid, that meant the great By Saam, Bill Campbell, and then Whitey, but Harry has been the voice of the Phillies for me for nearly 40 years. His calls were always one of the great pleasures in all of baseball for me, and whenever possible I’d listen to the highlights over and over. I can hear his voice in my head almost as if the radio was on and if I close my eyes I can see those long drives flying outta here. Watch that baby!

I’ll miss you Harry. Thank you.

43. Gregger

April 13, 2009 at 10:40 pm

just wasnt the same today hearing somehow else call the final out. I think we all feel like we grew up with harry cause in reality we did. Spent 3 hours a day with him all summer every summer

44. Brian

April 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I can remember sitting in Section 112 during Game 5 (Part 2) in October, 5 rows from the field. Great seats and great friends around and one of the first thoughts that came to me while I was celebrating the final strike was “man, I wish I could hear Harry right now”.

45. Mazinman

April 13, 2009 at 11:06 pm

It dawns on me that Harry began his love of baseball as a Senators fan so his life truly came full circle. He passed away where his lifelong love was born. Not only that but it was in the booth where he practiced his trade better than anyone else. What a way to go.

46. cm

April 13, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Let’s repeat for Harry!

47. Grrrumpy Miner

April 13, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Like a Ming Vase and Bob Murphy,Harry Kalas is IRREPLACEABLE.Harry Kalas WAS the Philadelphia Phillies.Make no mistake,I can still hear that voice from NFL Films and the words “Lambeau Field,the frozen tundra”.Two great voices passed on within a year..Don Lafontaine (the movie voice guy) and Harry Kalas.God Bless You Harry.

48. phillyjoe

April 13, 2009 at 11:24 pm

This hurts more than any phillies blown game ever could. I cant believe well never here him call another game. RIP harry

49. GWFightinsFan

April 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I feel compelled to mention this personal note about how Harry touched my life…a few years back, I had just gotten out of the military and moved back home. Most of my friends from high school had moved away and I had few friends and felt rather alone in the world. More than that, I had a really bad breakup with my girlfriend at the time, and began to sink into a deep depression. I had little good going on in my life at the time. (Those of you who have spent time in the military then gotten out might know what I mean, it was a sepeation anxiety of sorts, I was lost in the civilian world) While it may sound silly, one of the few things I had, day in and day out were the Phillies, and Harry was there every day to talk baseball with me. Even if he couldn’t hear me talk, I knew he felt the same highs and lows that I did whenever Ryan Howard hit a home run or when Pat Burrell would strike out. It was a tough time in my life, and Harry’s familiar voice somehow made it just a little bit better. Those famous calls such as “that ball is outta here!!” or “swing and a miss he struck him out!!!” or “chase utley, you are the man!!” will always be a part of me and my fondest memories. So thank you Harry, for being there during my whole life being a Phillies fan, and especially for being there when I needed you the most. RIP Harry, you will be missed more than I could possibly say…

50. Bryan Rutt

April 13, 2009 at 11:35 pm

So very sad, so very sudden. The last vestige of baseball as I knew it from my childhood is gone. We have lost one of the Greats, and we have lost a friend. RIP Harry.

Thank you, Tim, for this well-written piece. This site is where I learned the sad news today. Thank you for your efforts on this very sad day.

Here are the thoughts I wrote in my blog:

51. Georgie

April 13, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Tim, this is where you truly shine, putting into words in the most beautiful and eloquent way what all of us Phillies fans are feeling right now. I watched the replay of yesterday’s game, it’s so hard to believe that was the last game Harry will ever call.

Memories of sitting outside with the radio on, Harry’s voice was like a soft summer breeze wrapping me in a comfy, warm blanket, it felt like home, like for those few hours, everything was ok.

52. Wally

April 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Any chance of someone posting an audio clip of his call on Schmidt’s 500th HR?

53. Brian of CO

April 13, 2009 at 11:45 pm

WOW What an absolutely GREAT piece if writing. Once of the best I have seen on hear. I sincerely hope the newspaper gets ahold of this one. Thank you for summing up all of out emotions. It would be a flat out Lie if I said I didnt cry today. Harry the K was the one thing that not only did many of our fathers listen to before we were born, but our grandfathers as well. We all wish we would never see this day, where we no longer have Whitey or Harry the K, but alas, Heaven has one more baritone angel amongst them. We will miss you Harry Kalas. I for one had 2 shots of Jameson Irish Whiskey in his honor, one for each of the World Series Parades he took part in. If anyone knows of the particular brand of scotch he prefered, I would be tempted to have another shot.

54. Brian of CO

April 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Sorry for all the misspelled words, Im sure everyone can understand why it happened.

55. Pingback: Remembering Harry

56. From Section 113

April 13, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Great piece Tim. I am still just shocked by this, so sad.

57. Chris

April 14, 2009 at 12:03 am

Beautifully said. That last sentence – I’m sure it will stick in readers’ hearts for a long time.

58. Jane Miloradovich

April 14, 2009 at 12:39 am

poignant, touching- from the heart. thank you. rip Harry

59. Jay

April 14, 2009 at 1:59 am

think there needs to be a top 25 Harry Calls list

60. Rob

April 14, 2009 at 2:35 am

If any of you caught the game today I was lucky enough to get on TV with my little tribute to HK after the Ibanez solo shot.

I got a call from my friend right before the game and he shared the news with me. Without hesitating I turned over my ticket printed on computer paper and wrote “OUTTA HERE. RIP HARRY.”

I figured it was small, but it was the best I could do, and Phillies fans all over got to see it.

Like everyone else, I’m not sure I can explain what HK meant to me. All I know is that there was a place in me for Harry Kalas and now that he’s gone, that place feels empty. Watching a Phillies game will never be the same knowing he’s not up there, watching over all of us.

61. Josh

April 14, 2009 at 2:48 am

Although this I’ve been following this site for over a year, this is my first post……………
    First of all, what a beautifully written article Tim. Thanks for putting what all of us are thinking into words. Being that I’m 22, Harry was always part of watching Phillies games for me. I remember the years of the mid to late 90’s and early 2000s, where the Phillies teams were always downright awful. Even though they were terrible, I tuned in alot just becuase I liked listening to Harry, especially his interactions with LA and his heated banter with wheels. His commentary made even the worst of game interesting, and for me, Phils broadcasts will NEVER be the same. Let’s hope the Phils bring Harry’ son Todd into the fold; while harry will never be replaced, I think Todd could do the best job at at least filling the huge void he’s left in all of us fans. RIP Harry.

62. Peter M.

April 14, 2009 at 5:41 am

This was quite a shock to the everyday doldrums. Harry’s voice, character and personality will be irreplaceable — a definite sad day in Philadelphia. Good luck Tom McCarthy.

63. the lopez!

April 14, 2009 at 6:29 am

harry kalas was the voice of football too.
    just watch an nfl films production and not think of him.
    not only a great voice but genuine nice person

64. Jeff

April 14, 2009 at 6:58 am

I remember back in the 70’s, turning off the MLB broadcasters for the playoffs against the Dodgers and turning on the radio to hear Harry and Ash. One of the best baseball voices ever. I will miss him. Harry is outta here! RIP

65. Mom

April 14, 2009 at 7:01 am

Timothy…What a beautiful article. I know it was a tough one to write. When you were a kid you wanted to be Harry Kalas…..I can still hear you calling games from the shower…most people sing, you did Harry the K.
    This is a big loss to the city of Philadelphia and to baseball.
    But as your mom, I know it’s a personal loss for you…..I’m so sorry Tim….I love you!

66. mick

April 14, 2009 at 7:51 am

Tim, a wonderful, personal tribute–Harry is Philadelphia baseball—It will never be quite the same.

67. Dan

April 14, 2009 at 8:13 am

Harry… T_T

68. bull

April 14, 2009 at 8:34 am

Great piece, nothing was better than listening to the phils on the radio sitting out on the front porch with my dad and the neighbors. Last night i put a radio in my kids room so they could listen to a game as they went to sleep something i dont think many get to enjoy too much anymore.

69. Woodman

April 14, 2009 at 9:19 am

This article states how we all feel. Thank you. RIP, Harry.

April 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

I found out about this as I was on my way to the Nats ballpark yesterday. Very sad news… He will be missed. I’m happy he lived a good life and got to see us win it all last season.

71. Don M

April 14, 2009 at 9:25 am

Yesterday was a weird day for me.. As soon as I heard that Harry had collapsed, I thought the worst, and Im not sure why.. I think he did look frail last week throwing out that first pitch, he just looked drained of energy..

But anyway, I didn’t cry or anything, just really sat back and thought about how much different things will be without HK.. Tom McCarthy has some huge shoes to fill, I didn’t hear it, but by all accounts, he did a fine job yesterday kept his composure and was a true professional.. if that is the case, nice work Tmac.. Harry would be proud!

On espn950 last night they had people calling-in saying what the Phillies should do.. among the two that I thought were the best: An inning of silence on the TV broadcast, only when there is no voice at all, can we truly appreciate just how great Harry’s voice was..

and the one that really should stick..

After every home WIN, over the loudspeakers, and with the crowd singing along.. HIGH HOPES

“Next time your found, with your chin on the ground
    There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
    Think hell move that rubber tree plant
    Anyone knows an ant, cant
    Move a rubber tree plant

But hes got high hopes, hes got high hopes
    Hes got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin low
    stead of lettin go
    Just remember that ant
    Oops there goes another rubber tree plant”

This would have generation after generation singing praise to Harry and celebrating each WIN with something special, and truly meaningful to all Phillies fans!!

72. gabriel

April 14, 2009 at 9:40 am

as always tim, great job. not many people can personify an entire fanbase’s sentiment. you have done just that.
    i moved to jersey in ’98, became an everyday phils phan by ’01 – the year i graduated high school… it didn’t take long to realize the impact that Mr. Harry Kalas provided our beloved phillies… this man WAS baseball as you so eloquently put it tim. he was phillies baseball. a sad day for sure across the delaware valley and beyond. any baseball purist knows exactly what will never again be obtained by this great sport. by this great man.
    i checked my facebook last night before falling asleep and what i saw there brought back every emotion… ALL of the posts on my ‘home page wall’ referred to Harry Kalas and how we will miss him, it’ll never be the same, personal stories, etc…
    i know i haven’t been around as long as some, but i can certainly appreciate what was taken away from the phillie phaithful yesterday afternoon… rest in piece Harry Kalas for you will be missed by many.

73. Kristina

April 14, 2009 at 9:49 am

Very well said, you took what we were all feeling and put it to words. I’m 28 and have been watching the Phils since I was a little girl. Harry’s voice was all I knew. I was sitting in class when my husband texted me of Harry’s death and I was absolutely stunned. I actually had my Phillies tshirt on yesterday too. I came home and started crying when it finally sunk in and I looked at many of harry’s pictures. What did it for me was watching a clip of him announce brad’s strike out of the world series. I lost it. And your article did it again! I’ve never met Harry kalas, but it’s amazing how someone you never met can have such a strong impact on your life and you never even realize it till they are gone. It’s just such a sad day in Phillies baseball, but like you said we gotta keep going, and we gotta keep going for Harry!! Go Phils!!!!

74. Jeff

April 14, 2009 at 9:53 am

Its been a tough night and morning all the memories, When I grew up in outside of Philly we lived in Harry’s neighborhood and I remember the first time we went up to his house for Trick n Treating, and when we all left his house you were just glowing, he had the effect on people! My brother is in the radio business and constantly talks about when he met him outside the ballpark.

We love you Harry and Phillies games will never be the same, our families all will miss you!!

75. Mark

April 14, 2009 at 10:00 am

Tim, thank you for that article. It was beautiful, just like Harry was.

76. Jonathan Atwood

April 14, 2009 at 10:08 am

An amazing tribute. You truly captured the emotions I think we all felt yesterday, and still do today. I know I spent the better part of yesterday sobbing. Everytime one of his iconic calls came on, I choked up.

I truly felt like I just lost my favorite uncle. He was baseball. He was Philadelphia.

Great job brother.

My tribute to HK, if you’re interested:

77. Phighter in NYC

April 14, 2009 at 10:28 am

When I think of Harry Kalas, I think of being nine years old in the summer of 1980, watching that championship season in my grandfather’s kitchen and hearing his voice. Or in 1993, watching games in my dorm room and hearing his voice. Or in 2008, watching the games in my office and hearing his voice. And all the lean years in between at various locations, hearing his voice — and Whiteys, of course, enjoying their midgame musings on bunting as a lost art as much as the triumphs. I am saddened that we have lost his voice — more so than I could have ever imagined. I didn’t fully appreciate how much a part of our lives he was.

We Philadelphians were blessed to have had Harry be our voice for so many years. More than any player that ever donned the pinstripes, he represented us. In a sports town often misunderstood and maligned, he represented the best of us — intelligent and passionate about the team, the fans, the city and the game, win or lose.

Thanks, Tim, for the heartfelt tribute to Harry.

78. James Finn Garner

April 14, 2009 at 10:55 am

The whole baseball world lost a legend in Harry, but Phillies fans feel the pain the most.

We posted a poetic tribute to Harry on today, for those interested.

79. Justin

April 14, 2009 at 11:03 am

I just think of all the times down at the Vet waiting for autographs seeing him walk in the Phillies front office doors and him sitting down his briefcase and just talking shop or taking the time to sign autographs or just talk about anything in general, i remember asking advice about going into communications for sports and him just giving me helpful hints and just taking time to talk to everyone which rang true in the interview PN had with Scott Franzke. When the news came across the airways and internet yesterday it was like a loss in my family here’s a man who took time out of his day to talk to anyone who asked for a minute of his time, he had a minute for everyone it seemed, that’s what made him special. Just read Ray Didinger’s article on about Harry and it was a real heartfelt story and just made me think of all the memories in the last 20 years I’ve been lucky enough to have. I got to talk with Whitey before his untimely death and thankfully I got to talk to Harry as well so I consider myself fortunate to have been able to say that not only did I get to meet him but I got to talk to him. Phillies baseball just lost a lot of it’s luster without its biggest star.

On a side note, I don’t know if I can handle 9 innings of Chris Wheeler, I can only hope Franzke comes to TV or they hire Scott Graham back.

80. Mark

April 14, 2009 at 11:14 am

I remember rushing home from school to turn on the TV during day games to listen to Harry call the games. I would turn the volume down on the TV and turn the radio on to hear Harry over the TV broadcasters. I owe my love of baseball to my father and grandfather, but Harry had a big part in that too. I was only 6 months old when they won it in 1980, I was 14 when they made the series in 1993 and I cried when they lost. Last year was possibly the best year of my life getting to witness our team win it again! All the while, Harry making that infamous strike out call.

Yesteray at 1:20, time stood still for a moment as one of the legends of the game was taken from this great city. Phillies baseball will never be the same.

Thanks for all the wonderul memories Harry. You will be missed!

81. Robbo

April 14, 2009 at 11:22 am

82. GM-Carson

April 14, 2009 at 11:25 am

When asked the popular question, “Who would you most like to have dinner with dead or alive?”, I always responded Harry Kalas; and my answer will never change. I love and miss you Harry, and so does all of baseball.

83. Justin

April 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

Because Harry was the greatest, he even wrote a poem about us that I nabbed from Jon Atwood’s article:

This is to the Philadelphia fan.
    To laud your passion as best I can. Your loyalty is unsurpassed.
    Be the Fightins in first or last.

We come to the park each day,
    looking forward to another fray.

Because we know you’ll be there,
    we know you really care.

You give the opposing pitcher fits
    because as one loyalist shouts, everybody hits.

To be sure in Philly, there might be some boos.
    Because you passionate fans, like the manager, hate to lose.

Your reaction to the action on the field that you impart,
    spurs as broadcasters to call the game with enthusiasm and heart.

We feel your passion through and through.
    Philadelphia fans, I love you.

84. Mike

April 14, 2009 at 11:57 am

In my short life, I’ve cried three times because of the Phillies. The first was when I was 9 years old and Mike Schmidt announced his retirement. The next were tears of joy while hugging my father and wife after the Phillies became World Champions of Baseball.

Yesterday, I quietly cried after hearing of Harry’s passing, as I’m sure many other people did. He brought so many wonderful moments to life for me and my family and I felt sorrow because the voice of the Phillies will no longer be heard and that my children will miss out on all of the wonderful moments that Harry brought to us. It is a sad day for millions of people that Harry touched. He will be deeply missed.

My thoughts are with his family and friends in this difficult time.

85. It Hurts

April 14, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Hurts worse than an Andy Ashby opening day start.
    Hurts worse than a blown Jose Mesa save.
    Hurts worse than an Adam Eaton start.
    Hurts worse than watching “the bat” leave town.
    Hurts worse than Joe Carter rounding first base.
    It just hurts.
    Harry Kalas “you are the man!”

86. NateB

April 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Yes you are the man Harry! Thanks for everything. You will always be missed.

87. bob

April 14, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I received the news in my office right down the road from Nationals Park, it confirmed what I feared that Harry was gone. I was fortunate enough to meet the man before last September 3rd’s game in Washington. I am a born and bred Philadelphian and I can not fathom watching a home broadcast without that voice.

I picked a couple flowers and placed them in the spot outside Nats park where my friend Tom and I met Harry. We talked baseball for 10 mins and even gave us a salute for our military service. He was a true class act.

At the park you could see the hurt on the Phillies fans. After every HR, I shouted outta here! I truly believe that Harry and Whitey pushed those 3 balls over the fence for our beloved Phils yesterday.

I sat in section 101 after the game for 30 mins, crying my eyes out and staring at the press box.

Harry the K, YOU ARE THE MAN and you will never be forgotten. You are a true measure of what a man should be. Thank you for all the joy you have brought to my life.

88. Chuck P

April 14, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I keep coming back here… I’m trying to stay away but I keep getting sucked back into this discussion. I’ve been emailing back and forth with one of my very close friends; a lifelong Phillies fan ( he is 55 +/- 5 years old). It’s interesting because we are going through the stages of grief together. At first, we were both kind of numb… listening to yesterday’s game was EXTREMELY difficult and hearing the replay of Scott Franzke signing off left me teary eyed. It’s tough to envision Phillies baseball without Kalas. It’s going to be sad retreating to the car after a game to hear the replays, fully knowing that there’s going to be no “Watch this baby, wayyyyyy outta here’s” no matter how far the ball actually traveled.

Now we’re kind of stuck feeling a bit angry… and I’m getting that from a few of the people on here, too. I got that from listening to Larry A yesterday, as well. The fact of the matter is our broadcast team is complete with HK. Without him, it’s clearly not. Larry A gives you that off the wall perspective, Franzke is the facilitator, Sarge is likeable and knowledgable and Harry was the cleanup guy… always saying what needed to be said in a way that kept you glued to the radio. You couldn’t turn off a game when HK was on the mic. That brings us to Wheeler… you could sense that each of those guys was emotional last night, except Wheels. Larry was angry… as you would expect him to be… he didn’t want to be in that booth. Franzke was an emotional trainwreck and Wheels was just himself. He just seems to lack genuineness… again, this is the anger speaking. Let me make one thing clear; I listen to almost every game. I don’t have Comcast so I listen. HK gave me all the visual that I needed. I always felt like it was a slap in the face when they decided to go with Kalas and Wheels… like he deserved better at that stage in his career. Wheels made a comment yesterday about Harry not being well received early in his broadcasting career and likened that situation to his own and that really made me mad… Wheels deserves no comparison to HK. And Justin nailed it… I don’t know if I’m going to be able to stand 9 innings of Wheels.

GM-Carson, that is a great comment. One this is for sure, you couldn’t have picked anyone more GENIUNE than Harry.

89. Tim Malcolm

April 14, 2009 at 12:24 pm

A comment about Wheels: I don’t think it’s fair for anyone to assume anything about Wheels’ disposition yesterday.

We all have our thoughts about him as a broadcaster, and we all have heard things about his past with Harry. That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t allow for us to shoot arrows at him for our perception of how he acted.

When I watched the telecast at the open, I saw Wheels seemed pretty affected by all of it. People deal with death in different ways. It’s more than possible Wheels was trying to hide his true emotions by talking, playing his regular role and keeping straight. Andersen is an emotional creature by nature. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Wheels is passionate about the team itself. It’s probably what he lives for. I’m sure there’s a special place in his heart for Harry.

This is not the time nor the place to pile on about Wheels. It’s not fair to him. Yes, it’s possible he didn’t care yesterday. But who are we to determine that?

Let’s please not talk about Wheels in that respect. And let’s not predict the future of the broadcasting team just now. It’s not respectful to Harry.

90. Chuck P

April 14, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I completely agree with you Tim… I didn’t mean to go down that road but that’s how things went in conversation between me and my long-time colleage. You can delete that comment if you feel that is appropriate. Again, I am absolutely sure that Wheels felt worse than anyone on here… they worked side by side… you’re right, everyone deals with death differently. I’m not trying to say that… I don’t really know what I’m trying to say other than how I feel.

91. Roose13

April 14, 2009 at 12:33 pm

This was the third time I cried for the death of someone I didn’t even know (LeRoi Moore of DMB and Reggie White were the formers). I have been following Phillies baseball for 15 years now and I was devestated yesterday afternoon.

Thank you so much Harry the K. Everytime I see Howard or Utley hit a deep shot to right field, “it’s outta here” will ring in my ears forever.

92. Tom G

April 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Harry Kalas…The Greatest Phillie of All-time…

“two out pitch, a Long Career, high above home plate…and HARRY KALAS, is Outa…heeer”

Rest in peace…Jesus, finally has his announcer to go with the team!

we love you Harry!

93. Bruce

April 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

To GM-Carson… Really? Personally, besides my deceased mother, I can think of many, many historical greats in all fields of endeavor that I would love to chat with over “dinner”. It’s out of pure fascination and curiosity with many questions to ask. avoid repeating the sentiments (some of it rather maudlin) of so many others here for Harry Kalas, I’ll simply offer my condolences to the Kalas family. Having followed the Phillies for over 50 years, I had the privilege of hearing outstanding Phillies’ broadcasters (mostly on radio) such as By Saam, Gene Kelly, Bill Campbell and of course, Whitey Ashburn and Kalas which today’s young generation most identified with. Kalas obviously will be missed. How can it be otherwise after the longest tenure of any Phillies broadcaster; nearly 40 years!

I appreciated Harry’s old school style of broadcasting which is simply calling the game as played on the field and not tossing in tidbits that are irrelevant to the game. Of course, there are those precious moments when Harry played the straight man to his partner and close friend, Whitey Ashburn and his folksy and humorous quips. Those kind of distractions I don’t mind.

Rest in peace, Harry.

94. Don M

April 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Anyone that thinks or says that Wheels didn’t care is just being ignorant..

TV brodcasting is much different than Radio, on camera (as bad as it sounds) you have to act like a professional.. the players were having a good time trying to play hard and have fun like Harry would have wanted them to..

Wheels was doing his job as Harry would have wanted him to.

They brought Tom McCarthy in to one day take over for Harry.. that day has come sooner than we all expected..

95. Justin Evans

April 14, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I came online to write my recap of the Phillies come-from-behind victory on Easter Sunday. Little did I know that at that same moment I’d receive a text message regarding Harry Kalas being rushed to the hospital. Shortly there after, I received another text message that confirmed that he had left us.

I really wanted to put down all of my initials feelings regarding this horrible event, but I just couldn’t. Every time I tried to write, I would just delete it, nothing seemed perfect enough to describe what Harry Kalas meant to us as Phillies fans.

Harry Kalas was everything about the Phillies. He was everything about Philadelphia. He had been the heart and soul of this franchise my entire life, and for even much of my father’s life. See, our generation tends to take baseball announcers for granted with the adaptation of television. We as kids were generally always able to see the Phils play via a television. As much as Harry meant to us, he will always mean more to our fathers and their fathers. Kalas’ dramatic voice always set the stage for a radio as if they were listening to a musical masterpiece. His deep, baratone voice called some of the greatest hits and pitches in Philadelphia and Major League Baseball history. He was baseball in Philadelphia.

From Michael Jack Schmidt to Bobby Abreu to Chase Utley and from Dallas Greene to Terry Francona to Charlie Manuel, there had always been one constant in Philadelphia: Harry Kalas. The man was Philadelphia baseball. The man was something different than life. His voice was the one that healed us when everything else in the world seemed bad from April to October.

When I was a child I didn’t wake up every morning looking forward to watching some random cartoon. I woke up waiting for the night broadcast of the Phillies game. I woke up waiting for the voice of Harry Kalas. Baseball is in my blood and many others in the Delaware Valley. Baseball was hope. Harry Kalas was the man who called the greatest pitch of my life.

Nothing and two the count to Hinske. Fans on their feet. Rally towels are being waved. Brad Lidge stretches. The 0-2 pitch. Swing and a miss! Struck him out! The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of baseball. Brad Lidge does it again and stays perfect for 2008 season. 48 for 48 in save opportunities for the 2008 season. 48 for 48 in save opportunities and watch this city celebrate.
    Maybe 2008 was more of fate than anything else. Harry Kalas finally reached the grandest stage and he was able to make the greatest call of his live and many of our own.

Baseball is and always will be America’s past time. Harry Kalas will always be one of the greatest and most articulate at describing the game we love most. Yesterday, we lost one of the greatest people to ever grace the city of Philadelphia.

96. Tim Malcolm

April 14, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Well, I understand where you’re coming from. I think a lot of fans look at Wheels more as someone who cheated his way into a treasured spot (being a guy who talks baseball to us every night with Harry) than someone who has earned the keep. Add in his somewhat nasaly voice and homeristic tendencies, and a lot of people don’t favor him. (It’s sort of the same pseudo backlash people feel toward Ruben, though that was tempered because Gillick bowed out on his own terms and the Phils are champions.)

And when this happens, people almost hope to find a disingenuous disposition from him. Feelings overcome thought sometimes.

It’s understandable. It goes part and parcel with the psychology of the Philadelphia sports fan.

97. Phillies Fan

April 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm

My wife and I moved to the Philadelphia area about 3 years ago, and we weren’t baseball fans at all. Then in 2007, we started watching the Phillies play and just got hooked. One of the things I loved most about watching the Phils play was listening to Harry call the game. He always made it feel like he was over at your house, not so much calling the game as having a conversation with you about it. He had that rarest of gifts- always remaining professional, but never leaving any doubt about who he wanted to win the game.

I don’t have a tenth of the memories that most here have of Harry- I never heard he and Richie Ashburn together, I didn’t grow up listening to him, I never met him face to face. But I’m glad to have had the privilege of hearing him call that final slider to win the World Series, hearing him say “Chase Utley, you are the man,” and just enjoying his passion for the game.

RIP, Harry. You will be missed.

98. BurrGundy

April 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm

A beautiful, heartfelt eulogy to a great voice, a great fan and a great person — Harry Kalas. He will be remembered and missed.

99. DHall

April 14, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Wow…this has really hit me hard. As a 39 year old who grew up in Delaware County and listens (or watches) every Phillies game, I am shocked and very saddened by Harry’s passing. Harry is like a friend who we invite over to our house every night for 6 months a year and then all of a sudden stops coming. To think that my living room will never be filled with Harry’s voice again is almost unbearable. We love you Harry and will always remember you! God Bless.

100. Mark

April 14, 2009 at 1:12 pm

1 single line describes Harry best, World Phucking Champion!

101. Chuck P

April 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Phillies Fan / Dhall… you paralleled a great point. Harry was, indeed, a family figure. You kind of felt like he was right there speaking to you… feeling what you were feeling. You could tell that he always did his best to calm our nerves in those counltess late and close situations and feed our energy when the team gave us something to cheer about. A pro’s pro, as Steve Sabol said.

Tim, I appreciate your understanding… I do apologize for sounding arrogant/ignorant/disrespectful. Remorse has a way of manifesting itself into something that can be malicious. The be all end all… there will never be another Harry Kalas and for a long-time, it will feel like there’s something missing when I turn on the broadcast.

102. Joe

April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I love idea of the high hopes song after phillies games, and not just after wins. It would be a nice tradition to start in Harry’s honor since he was ever the optimist as we PHILLIES fans are.

103. Justin

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Tim i was not bashing Wheels for his on air talk yesterday as I was unable to watch it, the only thing I was making reference to was that I don’t think I can handle 9 innings of Wheeler, I would rather have Franzke/Tom McCarthy and LA plus Sarge do split TV and Radio like Harry would do then listen to Wheels for 9 inning. Harry as everyone can attest had a way of painting a picture of the game if you were listening on the radio or making a homerun sound like it was jumping out of the ballpark when hit by the home team. Wheeler doesn’t have that skill, Frankze does from what I’ve been able to hear and McCarthy talks about baseball from a good wealth of knowledge, i liken Wheels to Joe Theismann as a guy that commentates on exactly what he sees and doesn’t expand. It may sound like bashing but I’m not bashing the man for working his way from an intern to an announcer for the amount of years he’s done it, that’s a great feat, i just don’t care for him.

104. Don M

April 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I think if we did HIGH HOPES after EVERY game, or in the 7th-Inning-Stretch of EVERY game.. it loses it’s appeal.

I think if we play it/sing it after every WIN, it makes us want to win even more, just to hear that song, and how great it can be.

If we hear it every single game it becomes just another thing, and not anything really special, or all that unique..

I heard that they might do 7th Inning Stretch, for just this season..

While that is a great idea, let’s celebrate our victories, because THAT is when Harry would really belt the song out.. in celebration!

105. Jon

April 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Since I became a true Phillies fan when I was about 10, only two things were always certain for me year after year: Pat Burrell and Harry Kalas. Now, in six short months, they are both gone. As much as my feelings towards Burrell were a rollercoaster of love-hate, my feelings towards Harry couldn’t have been more solid. There is and will never be anyone in the world that could call a game like Harry. The special thing about him was that he shared the love that all of us have for our Phillies. I’m sure I’m not the only one who had tears in my eyes, listening to him call the final inning last October on the radio with the FOX commentators on mute. It is something I will never forget, and Harry was a major part of it. I feel like it’s only a matter of time before Citizens Bank Way is changed to something of the sort of Kalas Blvd. Harry was and is the Phillies, and nothing is going to change that in my mind.

106. MH

April 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm

As a Mets fan who grew up in northeast Pa (and still visits often), I offer Phillies fans my condolences on the loss of your great broadcaster. I imagine you feel the way many Mets felt when Bob Murphy died a few years back. Listening to Mets broadcasts has never been quite the same since Murph died. Listening to Phillies TV broadcasts will never be quite the same for you folks,,, nor for myself on my visits to NEPA…There is always a certain comfort in having that “voice” there…the world feels a little colder without it.

107. ryan

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm

harry is the voice of my childhood. the voice of summer. the voice of NFL films and inside the NFL. i think of his voice and reminded of my grandfather , who loved to listed to the game on the radio. summertime sitting on the porch listening to harry. i can’t imagine phillies baseball without harry. he IS the phillies

108. ryan

April 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm

i am happy knowing that harry is upstairs at God’s tavern, or maybe as Bill Conlin put it, at God’s golf course, with a scotch in one hand and a cigar in the other hand. just shooting the breeze with his best friend Whitey.

109. Richie Allen

April 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Does anyone know what exactly happened to Harry medically?I felt so bad for him the last few years because he looked so washed out and tired.No one ever mentioned anything ,even though he arrived late in spring training because of “medical reasons”.
    I heard the Phils were going to let him do limited work this year and maybe take off some road trips.
    But true to form,this guy loved his work and the Phils so much,he went out the way he wanted.
    We were lucky to have him as long as we did.

110. Chuck P

April 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Richie, he had heart surgery in January/February…

This is a great piece by Paul Hagen.

111. Brian of CO

April 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm

First in response to Mike at 1157 am. I would say I was exactly the same way. I know some people dont understand what us Phillies Phans are like or why we take things so hard sometimes. But I can honestly say I cried when Mike Schmidt retired as well, but hey, I was also 9 years old, so I would say thats acceptable, I cried last October after “The Philadelphia Phillies are the 2008 World Champions of Baseball” and yes, even at this age, I did weap a bit yesterday. He had been announcing far longer than I have been alive, so he is all I ever knew. And for MH the Mets fan. Wow, it really says alot about Harry the K when Mets fans and Phillies Phans can let go of alittle rivalry to say things like that. It just wont be the same.

112. Brian of CO

April 14, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Richie Allen, I agree. Harry Kalas refused to take a lesser work schedule because of his love of the game, The Phillies, The Players, and I would think the phans. As morbid as this sounds, this probably was the way he wanted to go, while not alone like apparently he was, but more passing at a baseball park.

113. TJ

April 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I assume I’m one of the younger ones 18 but I met Harry when I was 9 years old in 1999. Very cool guy. He had a unique passion for the game that I can admire now.

Is anyone going to the first game back from the road trip? I want to be there for the Kalas tribute they will surely do.

114. Richie Allen

April 14, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Thanks guys…I dont know why it makes me feel better to know,But I had to know.
    And to Brian of Co,the older I get,the more things get to me emotionally.But there was something about Harry that really makes you feel sad now that he is gone.
    I dont think it will register until the next game in the 7-8-9 innings when the voice isnt there.

115. Pingback: The Sports Complex :: Blog Archive :: Remembering Harry :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

116. Pingback: Dugout Chatter: Philly remembers announcer Harry Kalas | MLB Blog

117. nick

April 14, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Tim this was a great tribute to Harry I had tears in my eyes reading this. I feel the same way you do my earliest memories of life are my mom and dad and other family members and then Harry Kalas and watching the phils……at five years old i would entertain the neighbors by hitting the wiffle ball up in the air and saying outttaaaa heeerreee Michael Jack Schimdt he truly was the voice of summer and the voice of the phils.

Tonight if anyone wants to check out me and my fathers tribute to Harry you can listen to our show click on listen live ….

118. Justin

April 14, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Word has come out that Harry died from heart disease, something all Phils phans knew he underwent surgery for this past offseason. From

“NFL Films takes a look back at the career of legendary broadcaster Harry Kalas.
    A spokeswoman at the Washington D.C. chief medical examiner’s office said Kalas, who died Monday, had high blood pressure and suffered from atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. The disease, in which plaque buildup restricts blood flow in arteries, is a major cause of heart attacks and strokes.”

119. philajen

April 14, 2009 at 6:01 pm

120. shag beta sigma delta

April 14, 2009 at 6:23 pm

It is truly sad day. I started watching and listening to the phillies the same year Harry the K started broadcasting 1971 I remember coming home from church and going right to the TV UHF channel 17. He was the Phillies to me. Moving to Vermont a 15 years ago I missed listening to him call games, But I would schedule trips home around the time a game would be starting at the point where I could get it on the radio somewhere near 287 in NJ. For the first half hour or so it would come in and out but I just keept on turning it up. His calls will be sorly missed. “Outta Here Micheal Jack Schmidt” I will always cherrish the memories of listening to him and Whitty.

121. Patrick

April 14, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Miss ya, Harry. Thanks for the memories.

122. Tyler

April 14, 2009 at 6:52 pm

being only 16 (nearly 4 when Whitey died) I don’t remember Harry and Whitey as all are saying, but the first thing that came to my mind when i heard last nite from my grandma cuz im on vaca was that now harry and whitey, two phils legends and friends, are once again together. I grew up listening to harry and will never ever forget his voice. When i have kids, i will make sure i play that clip of him calling that 3rd strike to hinske by lidge. that will get so many more hits on youtube now that he has passed.

My greatest condolences to the kalas phamily and the rest of the phitin phils phamily because we were all impacted by this horrible news.

123. Robert

April 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Words can not describe how I felt yesterday when I got the email on my blackberry that Harry had passed away! I started to tear up .
    Harry , I thank you from the bottom of my heart for keeping me close to home as I live across the Atlantic. To listen to you every night made me feel like i was at the game.
    My dad is a season ticket holder and I remember when I was a kid , on school nights that i was there we used to leave a little early and we used to listen to Harry calling the game on the way back to the Lehigh Valley…. The intensity was amazing…..
    My heart felt condolences go out to the Kalas Family and to all the phillies fans around the world , who truly have lost a pretty amazing free spirited guy….. God Bless you and yours Harry!

124. Rich Corr

April 14, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Tim, THANK YOU for an outstanding article that sums up our feelings….
    Phillies baseball because of Harry (& Whitey) was my daily refuge from life’s struggles. You could “Zone”out and Harry would provide the tonic to relax and get things in perspective.

I’d like to see Scott F. and LA get some of the TV time as I think he has the voice and demeanor to help us thru this extremely diffucult time….

Thanks again Tim…

125. Shawn Victorino

April 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I think we should get something going for a post game celebration in the stands for harry. like 610 said, if they win we should sing High Hopes, I think that would be awesome, if only there was a way to let everyone in the stands know!!

126. Jp

April 14, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Nice idea shawn vic! I think we need to bring harry into every phils home game. It would be great if the WHOLE stadium sung “high hopes” or yelled “outta here!” after a phillies home run! He left such a mark on us as fans, that i feel it’s up to us to preserve his memory every game!

April 14, 2009 at 11:45 pm

philajen, that is one of my favorites, too! LONG DRIVEEE… IT IS OUTTA HEREEE! PAT BURRELL!! PAT BURRELLLL!
    I’m gonna miss this

128. MBell

April 14, 2009 at 11:50 pm

I am a 4th generation Phillies fan. When I heard the news about our beloved Harry the K, I cried. I feel like I have lost the voice of my childhood, but I know the the world of baseball will, in time, heal all wounds. Thanks, Harry, for all your dedication to the team, the stadium, and the city that we all love so much.

129. TJ

April 14, 2009 at 11:57 pm

High Hopes during the 7th inning stretch is another idea I heard.

130. Ellen Wright

April 15, 2009 at 12:03 am

I have listened to Harry since Vet stadium opened in 1971…the year I graduated from high school. I was at that opening game and remember his voice distinctly. My daughter, Danielle, has grown up with Harry and had the privilege of meeting him in Atlantic City with me several years ago, I believe when she was in high school. This was a pre-season Meet the Phillies event just before their trip to Clearwater. Danielle was taking a photography class and was trying out her new camera. Both Harry and Larry Andersen posed for her, talked with her and encouraged her. Harry spent a great deal of time…and patience…as she re-adjusted the camera for each shot. He…and Larry…were very kind to her. I know that there were Phillies players there, too, but I don’t even remember who. Harry had such an positive impact upon us both. Unfortunately, most of the pictures came out somewhat out of focus, but you can still tell that its Harry…(and Larry)…a memory to have and to hold of the voice that was the Philadelphia Phillies. Thank you, Harry! We’re going to miss you! It is a sad day for all of us.

131. MikeMc26

April 15, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Godspeed Harry Kalas, you will be missed dearly. Thank you for all of my great Phillies memories…

132. idiotbox

April 16, 2009 at 1:02 pm

wow. I read almost everything there was on and I have to say, your tribute to harry was the best. I am 30 years old. Harry has always been “our guy” to me. I feel today and the last couple days like my Great Uncle died. It’s just a terrible loss. I know the void i feel inside is echoed throughout the Delaware Valley and beyond. It’s a testament to the contribution Harry made to enriching our lives.

133. Don M

April 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I’m not sure exactly when it was.. I kinda think it was a Burrell HR.. but Harry’s call was:

“.. (hit).. watch THIS one…” …

I can’t remember, I think it was Burrell, and I think it might have been the HR at the Vet where he hit it, and then pointed to the bench as he was running to 1st (game winner?)

134. Pingback: March Morning | JordanCornblog

135. Educational Tours

June 2, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Interesting I think all students should be able to take a few educational tours abroad