2009 Recaps

Phillies Barrage Marlins For Road Sweep

Thanks to 12 hits and 11 walks, the Phillies rounded the bases with ease, beating the Marlins to a pulp, 13-2. The win secured a sweep of first-place Florida, pushing the Phils a game over .500 and pulling them to 1.5 games in back of the Fish.

The Phillies scored four runs off starter Graham Taylor, making his major league debut. Highly touted because of his superb control, Taylor was blindsided by the big lights of the big show, walking six in his 3.2 innings. For a while the game was tight enough — starter Jamie Moyer waved aside small Marlin rallies en route to a six-inning, one-run performance — but the Phils broke it open in the seventh.

In that inning, the Phils capitalized off bad defense from left fielder Jeremy Hermida. With the bases loaded, Shane Victorino (2-for-5) drilled a two-RBI single. The Phils packed on another five in the eighth — they loaded the bases again and Victorino, again, struck with a two-RBI double. Pedro Feliz had two RBI as part of a 3-for-5 performance.

The Phils cleaned up with nice work by Chad Durbin and JA Happ. The Marlins shuttled Cody Ross to the mound for the ninth. Bringing in a position player to pitch is the truest form of submission. This seemed too easy.

Click to comment

1. joshb

April 26, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I’m glad to see our offense this year can explode without any long balls.

2. Phillies Phan SC

April 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I say this with respect to my love for the Phillies: I enjoyed Cody Ross pitching. We were up by 12 so I wanted him to do well as I found it ironic he pitched the best today of ALL pitchers – and he is an outfielder. Hats off to him, but glad we SWEPT. Now I hope we are out of the woods…

3. Craig

April 26, 2009 at 4:27 pm

To use some boxing analogies

Friday and Saturday we played like Carl Froch. Down and seemingly out of the fight against Jermain Taylor after 3 rounds only to storm back in the last with a stunning TKO.

Tonight we were like Pretty Boy Floyd against Ricky Hatton. Flawless and playing like the lb 4 lb best team on the planet.

4. shag beta sigma delta

April 26, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I am wondering where all the people are that said Raul would not be an upgrade defensively. Is it just me or has he played an above average left field so far this year. He made that one bad play a few weeks ago, but made two nice catches today, almost throw that guy out at second last night, he has a better arm than I thought he would have.
    Good sweep for the Phils. And pitching has improved, Myers had a decent outing, Park had one bad inning, and Cole seemed to be pitching well until he got hit by that liner. Moyer had a good outing today, granted he owns the Marlins, but he pitched real well. Hopfully this will get the starters out of there funk. Now all we need is for Jimmy to start hitting again and we will be fine.

5. Al in Seattle

April 26, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Woo hoo. Phils fried the fish in a sweep and the Mets got trampled by the Natinals. Nice job guys. Keep it up.

6. John Holtz

April 26, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I totally agree with joshb. Who knew that we could construct some runs the old fashion way (by watching other teams look silly in the outfield). That sweep was a great stand, but can we get some W’s at home for the fans this week? Keep them buying the tickets boys!

Jamie Moyer, you have personally bludgeoned the Marlins throughout your 398 year career. Congratulations.

7. Radio

April 26, 2009 at 5:48 pm

THIS is the performance I’ve been waiting for all year. A great starting performance with no homers allowed, and an offensive explosion that did not rely on the long ball. If they can keep this momentum for a while, things will really begin to look up!

8. Bruce

April 26, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Tim, care to revise your preseason projections for Jamie Moyer? Was that three wins for him? (chuckles)

Outstanding performance for Moyer today and his 249th career win.

9. christopher

April 26, 2009 at 5:55 pm

whew i can breathe a big sigh of relief… jamie finally reached his third win of the season! since we all know that’s all he’ll get this year, i was worried it wouldn’t be coming any time soon. thanks for being first to the finish line jamie!

10. shag beta sigma delta

April 26, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I think you have to cut Tim some slack here, He wrote that he would love to see Jamie pitch well all year, but did not think he would. You can not write all rosy reviews and seem like a homer and just say 16 wins 7 loses 3.0 era. You have to attempt to be unbiased. He may have gotten this one wrong but cut the guy some slack. Oh yea great job pitching today Moyer hopefully he can keep it up at home next week. I think maybe they have turned the corner for now. Lidge really misses Carlos, looked a little shaky last night.IMO all the pitchers miss him. Heard Carlos had a pain free minor league start the other day any word on when he will be back, and what is the chance they keep Lou up or is he going back to the Iron Pigs once Ruiz is back in the starting line up

11. That Guy

April 26, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I agree with the “frat dude”. Ibanez is better than Burrell in the field. He is also a better fielder than last year’s “defensive replacement(?)” So Taguchi.

12. Mr. Phil

April 26, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Great weekend for the Phightins! Hermida looked like he was praying for the ball not to be hit his way. Ibanez is my newest favorite Phillie (next to “Chase Utley, you are the man!”). Raul plays the game like it should be played. I want him on my team any time. And for the Mets and Braves to lose today was icing on the cake, especially the Mets.

I like Chris Coste’s story, but I am thinking he reached his zenith last July. Let’s hope Ruiz is ready to play soon. I know Marson needs to play every day somewhere, and it would be wasting him sitting behind Ruiz in The Show.

We need to keep the momentum coming this week at home. I’m sure it is a fun plane ride home from FL for our guys.

13. mikemike

April 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Before you declare that Ibanez is a good fielder based on a couple of plays in the first couple of weeks, lets see who is right at the end of the year. He is not a good outfielder. Even a blind squirrel blinds a nut once in a while.

14. ryan

April 26, 2009 at 7:16 pm

what a great weekend for the phils. i never saw this coming. they almost always play terrible in miami. but the got it done this time.

15. Mazinman

April 26, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Great weekend indeed. Really this weekend and the never give up attitude the team has had all year make the difference between where we are now and being totally buried alongside Washington. The Fish are officially knocked back down to Earth and now we can work on getting whats rightfully ours, first place.

Now that I think about it… we did not give up a home run today. Phinally! Way to go Jamie!

16. Mike

April 26, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Definitely agree about Ibanez—he made 2 catches that Burrell never would have made, he is faster on the bases, and has consistently good at-bats. Don’t understand how people could have said that Burrell was as good a fielder as Ibanez—Raul is way better and more mobile. (defensively)

Looks like the NL-east could be a scrum this year—which is only good for the Phils. I predict they continue to abuse relief pitching with Dobbs and Stairs. Having those two lefty pinch hitters on the bench will be even more valuable when they face the mets.

17. KevO

April 26, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Wheres Geoff? I want to hear what he has to say about Moyer now….

18. Geoff's older brother

April 26, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Moyer still sucks. Sure, he managed to pitch six innings and only give up one run, Whopdedo! In the old major leagues, starters were routinely expected to go 9 innings and give up negative -6 runs. That’s how they did it in the old days. The fact that he could pitch six innings with his extremely below-average stuff only shows how far today’s hitters have fallen. Back in the glory days of baseball, the hitters would have taken him to the outfield and broken both his legs with their batting helmets. Literally.

I heard one of the kids at Temple pitched a no-hitter recently. Get Moyer out of there, sign that kid and have him pitch. He’s got to be better than this terrible pitching we’re stuck with.

19. Doug

April 26, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Geoff, chill dude. Do I love Moyer, NO. I wish they brought Lowe instead. Moyer keeps defying the odds. Give him a break hes old but gets the job done. He pitched 6 strong innings kept his team in the game to explode. Why pitch him more when they were blowing the Marlins away. He has been strong this year for us. There will be days were he gets ripped but they all will.

20. Brooks

April 26, 2009 at 8:56 pm

The Phillies won for the first time without having to come from behind; the starting pitching did not give up more than 1 run; the pitching staff did not give up a HR for the first time all season.
    All reasons to celebrate!

21. mikemike

April 26, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Even if Hamels comes back strong. They have to get a starter, Park ,Moyer and Blanton scare me and Myers is on his last leg.

22. Geoff

April 26, 2009 at 9:14 pm

The Marlins are a pure fastball hitting team. They always swing at Moyers junk. I watched that game, Moyer gets calls 6 inches off the plate on each side! Hes been getting those calls for years and its not fair to the hitters. Its like he has his own strike zone and everyone else has theirs. The umpires should stop giving him all those calls. If they make him obey the standard strike sone hell be retired in a month. Thats totally indisputable. Enough is enough with this guy, and Im tired of it. Bring up Carlos Carrasco or Mike Stutes and get rid of this junk-throwing old man and hire him as the pitching coach to mximize his experience and good attributes.

23. Geoff

April 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Myers has been the best starter so far this year. At least the Philies got a sweep out of this weekend.

24. ryan

April 26, 2009 at 9:22 pm

i have no idea why anybody would rip Jamie Moyer. he was our most reliable and consistent starter last year. he won 17 games and had a sub 4 ERA.

25. Doug

April 26, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Moyer gets those calls out of respect. He is always close to the zone. Maddox always got those calls. Why do you think he dominated with the braves. It wasnt his fastball. Moyer will get hit at times but there are times were he will keep a team off balance. Like his final playoff start. He is so smart and crafty. Does not get rattled on the mound and he is a great teacher to Hamels.

26. shag beta sigma delta

April 26, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Geoff you really need to get a life, back in the day they had combined 50 some complete games a year, and now it is down to under 10. So all of you bitching about Moyer is ridiculous, that is how the game is played now. And every umpire has his own strike zone the ones with smaller zones will cause Moyer to get hit more sure, but the one’s who widen it for all pitchers are games he can keep them in. And weren’t you whining all last week about quality starts. 6 innings 1 run that is a quality start right so give him credit today. At first I just thought you ran your mouth cause you were trying to get a rise out of people on here. Now I think you are just an idiot. We are not playing games in 1970 where starters went 9 innings. Do I think more should sure, but they don’t, it is the age of specialization and has been for a decade now. So you can not say Moyer is a terrible pitcher, and I am not saying he is Maddox, but Maddox didn’t have a fastball in the 90’s he kept hitters off balance. At least give credit to a guy when he pitches well and not make up stupid sh##t to put him down. Admit he pitched well today.

27. Gregger

April 26, 2009 at 9:59 pm

yea I hate when my starters go 6 innings and only given up 1 run too Geoff. I think we can all agree to just ignore his comments from now on

28. That Guy

April 26, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Carrasco should be brought up immediately or traded. I have a feeling he will go the way of Brad Baisley.

29. Evan

April 26, 2009 at 10:43 pm

So much negativity after a such a good win! I’m psyched to see the Phils play three games in a row of quality baseball.

I think we can all agree Moyer is the man regardless of whether we think he’s got the stuff to be a great starter. He brings the right attitude to the game and he pitches every inning every outing the same way, with all the intensity a 46 year old can muster. I hope he continues to the end of 2010 as a quality starter cause he’s so fun to watch!

30. Jason B.

April 26, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I think one thing is lost in this game today. The Phils scored all runs, playing station to station baseball. It seems as if the Phils aren’t relying on the long ball as much as they used to. We look good right now and once Rollins gets going( which he certainly will), we’ll be down right scary. The pitching is coming together and our bull pen lokks good. I have a feeling it will once again, be a very good year.

31. Jason B.

April 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Three with the Nats and it is concievable that we can sweep them too, and have 6 wins in a row, going into a weekend series with the Mutts. It’s going to be a most excellent weekend.

32. Geoff

April 26, 2009 at 11:09 pm

But hes not close to the zone. They drew a diagram during the WS telecast of Jamie Moyer’s srtike zone. Its like twice the size of a normal strike zone. So weve got a phony-baloney guy out there, who HAS had a great career but who now is relying on smoke and mirrors and phantom umpire calls to get by. Thats hardly respectable or admirable in any way at all. I want our players to earn victories through hard work and skill, not phantom wink-nod types of situations where he gets calls because hes had a great career. He got at least three walks taken away from him because of that phantom nonsense. What is that BS? NO, put someone out there who doenst have to CHEAT via phantom calls to get by. He knows how to pitch and how to milk the umpires, and thats why hes useful as a pitching coach only.

33. Geoff

April 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I want to win, I like to win, but not like this man. This is just plain wrong.

34. Geoff

April 26, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Im pleased with the performance of the rest of the team however, though its preferable not to have to come from behind that often. Still, the offense has indeed come back to life. Excellent.

35. KevO

April 26, 2009 at 11:26 pm

We’ll im glad the rest of the team got your approval Geoff, your a clown. All you did was bitch last week about getting a quality start, and when he gets the “QS” you bring up the god damn 70s and comeplete games. Oh yeah, Moyer was on base 3 times also.

I’d bet my house you couldn’t get a hit off of him in at least 5 at-bats, your probably the kid that always rode the bench, and just criticized people playing that were better then you. Grow up.

36. Geoff

April 26, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Actually Im the one who sees things practically, youre all worshipping the guy like hes an idol. I didnt bring up the 70s today, thats was a fake poster using my name…I didnt ride the bench at all actually, I played sports all the way up through college…

I could get one hit off of Moyer because of the speed of the pitches. The slow speed allows you to take longer to decide whether or not to swing at it. Guys that throw at normal major league speeds yeah, Id have no chance at all and niether would you or anyone that posts here.

I watched the whole game, I know EXACTLY what he did and didnt do. I saw all the fake calls he got. The Marlins played right into it too because those hitters are mostly fastball hitters and havent yet developed the patience to wait out Moyer like more experienced hitters do. But against a patient hitting team or when the umpure makes him use a real strike zone, Moyer cant record a quality start. 4 runs isnt enough to beat good pitching. They won the WS because in the clutch their rotation put up good numbers allowing the offense to get 3-4 runs and still win the game. The bottom line is Im tired of this. The guy has NO respect for the game. He keeps coming back year after year and relis on a phony strike zone, I mean, why should I or you or anyone of us repsect that at all? Who cares if hes on our team, that doesnt mean you ignore it because hes on our team…its still disgusting and Im tired of seeing it.

37. Greg B

April 27, 2009 at 12:20 am

No respect for the game? What? I appreciate arguing for sake of arguing, but I’m going to have to give the loony bin a call and tell them to limit your time on this site.

Here’s hoping the Phils rotation has settled into a little bit of a rhythm. Ibanez is a baller. I think he’s excited to be here and its bringing his play up. He makes the Phils a lot stronger than anyone on here (including myself) predicted. I dont have any more regrets on that contract.

38. Doug

April 27, 2009 at 1:05 am

Geoff you are a jackass. Not a Phillies fan. Do you realize how many wins this man has.

39. kaushal

April 27, 2009 at 2:21 am

How can you say that Jamie Moyer has no respect. He has the most respect for the game out of all the phillies

40. metsblow4show

April 27, 2009 at 3:08 am

Geoff, you are a dousche bag who has no clue about baseball !

41. Ed

April 27, 2009 at 6:54 am

Just curious, what makes Geoff not a Phillies fan? Because he is ripping one of the guys on the team? Funny…isn’t that what we as Phillies fans, or more loosely, sports fan’s do all the time? Pretty sure Pat Burrell was ripped on and off for years until he left. I don’t agree with Geoff entirely. Yes I think Moyer gets some calls that he shouldn’t but you know what, the umpires make the calls, not Moyer. Moyer doesn’t make them make the calls, thats their choice, and so for that, I have no problem with Moyer at all. Should he have retired? Probably. But while he is still playing, I sure hope he does well.

42. Jeff Y.

April 27, 2009 at 7:05 am

Great weekend. I agree, as much as i like Pat the Bat, Ibanez is better. The old man looked pretty good on the mound yesterday.

43. TBT

April 27, 2009 at 9:03 am

The Marlins are an awful defensive team.

44. U Gotta Believe

April 27, 2009 at 9:34 am

Geoff…I don’t think you know anything about pitching let alone baseball…did you quit after tee ball or did you actually play alittle longer to know how the game works…If you didn’t play college baseball or beyond… you have no room for talking about this…I am so sick of people putting moyer down…he is a solid #3 or #4 pitcher he had 16 wins last year and pitched in the playoffs with a fever of 102… not only did he pitch but he pitched his a$% off…and got the win…Just out of curiosity do you think maddux should be excluded from the hall of fame because he got calls like that too? If YOU hate the way he pitches why would YOU want to make him a pitching coach?????

45. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 10:09 am

What about Greg Maddux? He got calls “on the black” or “Just on the corner” for his entire career..

You make things up to help support arguements that you, yourself, created..

You’ve been crying for “Quality Starts”.. Moyer gave us 6 IP, 4 ER his last two.. this time he holds one of the best offensive teams in baseball to only 1 run.. and you still find something to complain about..

46. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 10:10 am

Just keep it up guys…nothing is really deterring me here from this. Moyers experience is valuable in teaching young pitchers the psychology of pitching He is VERY good at that. Im not denying that at all. Hes a valuable asset to young pitchers. But to rely on him to get calls with a fake strike zone every start is not responsible and it shows a lack of respect to other people in baseball. Why do you think they “accidentally” hit him yesterday? Why does he “accidentally” get hit more than any other Phillies pitcher? Because the other team is retaliating to his lack of respect. Theyre telling the umpire, hey this is not fair, the strike zone for both teams MUST BE THE SAME. Its not fair that he has a bigger strike zone. The “Jamies earned it out of respect” excuse does not hold firm. The Marlins of course, are not known for patience so all they did was play right into it. If you show patience and dont swing at those phony borderline pitches, the umpire will stop giving them to Moyer.

Also, How dare you mention him in the same conteext as Greg Maddux. Maddux was all about control and pinpointed the real strike zone, not phony old man strike zone.

47. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 10:11 am

And you knwo what? Those calls that Maddux did get that were borderline were also wrong and disgraceful. To be fair..

48. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 10:11 am

“U gotta Believe”… my bad for stealing your Maddux line.. that was the very first thing that popped into my head when I started reading Geoff’s little rant.

but that is the best example of a guy who clearly got calls off the plate.. Moyer gets NOTHING like that.

Does he get some corners? yea.. but so does every pitcher in baseball

If you consistently hit a spot an inch or two off the plate, the umpire will give it to you.. I umpire baseball.. You can sometimes call a “ball” a STRIKE. but you can never call a “strike” a BALL..

And that is an umpire moto at every single level.. and unwritten rule to help speed up the game and make guys swing the bats

49. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 10:17 am

Geoff.. if you want to have actual baseball conversations.. we’re all up for it

If you want to make up new reasons to bash every player on the 25-man roster.. people will just start to ignore you, because your act is already old..

less than half of what you post is worth reading.

If Moyer gets a “fake strike zone”.. and you’re the first one to notice it after his 20+ years in Major League Baseball.. I highly suggest that you write into the Commish and let him know that we’re “stealing wins” from other teams.. I doubt Bud Selig is reading this site, so you should really take up your issues with him..

Only you can save the game of baseball from Fake Strike Zones!!

Hurry, Geoff!!!

50. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 10:28 am

Dude, go back to the World Series where they diagrammed Moyers strike zone…Its three inches off the plate on one side and 6 inches off the plate on the other side. Thats preposterous. Every pitcher in baseball will get an inch or two here or there depending on the umpire, we know that. But this instance is obvious. At the end of his career, Gred Maddux got the same treatment, yes, but thats also bad. Everyone overlooks that just because hes our player. Its like “how dare you bash Lord Moyer” and then the personal attacks flow in because people dont want to see whats clear as day in front of them.

51. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

The point is.. why do care how many inches off the plate Moyer gets??

If it helps your team win.. I wouldn’t mind if he got 3-feet off the plate.

You’d rather have Carassco and Stutes come up.. have to throw it right down the heart of the plate for it to be a strike.. they’ll get rocked because they’ll have to put fastballs right down the middle..

and then you’ll start ranting about how Drabek should get called up because Carassco and Stutes aren’t ready..

The World Series.. maybe once total did I see a STRIKE on Fox Pitch-Track.. every single time they showed a pitch it was outside of their on-screen strikezone.

basing your already ridiculous arguement, on the even more ridiculous TV strike zone is pretty bad..

52. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 10:34 am

And Im not bashing every player here. Rollins will get it until he gets back to the form we know he can achieve. Coste is really struggling but everyone knows it so its overkill to keep bashing him. Coste has gotta go. Sending Marson down is lunacy at this point. If you want marson playing every day in AAA then you HAVE to get a good backup catcher – which they had but traded away. Coste has been a total offensive liability – worse than even Ruiz at his worst. This guy is the catcher of the immediate future – until D’Arnaud is ready presumably – so you gotta play him and hes good enough to be a major league catcher so I dont see the problem. With Ruiz injured I really think its good to haev extra depth in the majors at that position, because you dotn know how Ruiz will comeback from his injury and play like we know he can.

Park is Park. A below average starting pitcher but a useful guy in the bullpen – eventually the Phillies will realize that and put JA Happ in the rotation.

The rest of the roster is starting to get back to where we know they are – so there isnt much to be upset about. They swept a good team. They survived Josh Johnson and stayed close until they could come back and pounce on a shallow bullpen.

53. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 10:37 am

No it wasnt that. Before the game they showed a picture of a plate and drew out Moyers strikezone – or the one he has to get to be successful and its ridiculous.

The Fox pitch track is horrible. Its the worst on all of the major networks, but I wasnt talking about that. They havetn fixed that thing in years.

54. mikemike

April 27, 2009 at 10:47 am

Look points like the strike zone, and total wins is a joke one game he gets the strike zone is mute just like how many wins he has, It is about this year, You talk about knowing pitching, and if you didn’t play college ball. The fact is this starting staff three weeks into the season is not performing. Hamels is in my mind going to be the stud he is just, right
    now behind, But Moyer Blanton and especially park are scareing me . Park was never a good starter, Love to see Happ get a chance because we need to know if a trade or someone from the minors can help. I love seeing that parade and to repeat will be hard if we have to score over 5 runs a game to win and how many time can a team keep coming back. With this offense and defense we just need some quality starts 6-7 innings three runs or less. I really don’t believe in thirty starts Park or Blanton can do that and Moyer is really towards the end yesterday he faced a lot of impatient hitters, lets see how he performs against patient teams, who aren’t free swingers

55. christopher

April 27, 2009 at 10:53 am

geoff, sometimes your wingnut ramblings are cute in an ignorantly blissful sort of way. this is not one of those times. trust when EVERYONE ELSE on the site is telling you- you. are. wrong.

jamie moyer is a good pitcher who has had a great career. end of story. looking forward to the game tonight. go phils.

56. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 10:56 am

People aren’t that patient against Moyer because his fastball is only 80mph.. so they think they can crush it.. which is why he’s been successful

We’d all like him to throw 35 consecutive shut-outs, but people complaining about him after a performance like he had yesterday is just stupid

Does Moyer get some calls off the plate? Yea.
    but so do most pitchers in baseball, so why do we care.. some TV show drew a line to show what “Moyer’s Strikezone” was.. and again, why do we care?

Blanton was solid in the playoffs.. GREAT in Spring Training.. and is really struggling at this point.. he’s a big key to our season. Park has been less than advertised, but settled-in nicely the other night.. and I think if he’s our #5.. it’s a lot better than Eaton and Kendrick..

Happ will probably get the nod, but it probably won’t be until after JC’s 50-game suspension is over.. Tashner will get booted, not sure who else?

57. Georgie

April 27, 2009 at 11:00 am

As I watched the first inning yesterday, I said to myself “This is going to be a good day for Jamie, the ump is giving him those corners”. Do I agree with Geoff, that Jamie has no respect for the game? No way! BUT, should some pitchers get larger strike zones out of “respect” or longevity? No, that is BS. I like Jamie alot, I admire him for his knowledge of pitching, his work ethic and attitude, but I don’t think it’s fair for him to get a bigger strike zone. It’s fun to watch him when he f’s with the hitters though, calling time, talking to the catcher, etc. Those are all things he can do to confuse hitters and throw off their timing, and that’s ok. If it were an opposing team’s pitcher getting those calls, we all would be bitching about it, don’t you think?

There are two sides to this coin, but we swept the Marlins, it was a beautiful weekend, summer’s here, the time is right, for dancin’ in the streets! Ok, I’m a little carried away, so what?

58. Chuck P

April 27, 2009 at 11:05 am

I can’t believe I’m reading this… Geoff, you need to stop calling yourself a Phan and call it like it is… you’re a hater. You’re happier saying “I told you so” and “That guy can’t play” than you are rooting for your team to win. That’s a serious problem… you should be rooting for every one of our starters. You should be hoping that Moyer can get those calls because that’s going to help us win… if he can get those calls (which he will), he can be effective, which is what we want. Rather than rooting for him to fail, try rooting for him to do well. Even if I don’t like a guy (I’ve admittedly never liked Madson and I’ve never been a huge fan of Werth), I will root for them until I’m blue in the face and gladly say that I was wrong. I might be a little quicker to boo those guys but I will root for them because that’s what Phans do.

You talk about changes in the game… the strike zone has become wider (side to side) and shorter (up and down). Guys get the corners (not just Moyer). Watch Varitek and Posada catch games… their ability to frame pitches gives their pitchers 4 inches outside. Moyer’s pitches are no different.

59. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 11:08 am

Umpires call a stike-zone for an entire game..

Jamie gets corners because he has shown year-in and year-out that he can locate a pitch JUST off the corner of the plate.. since he does it so frequently, the umpires “expand the strike zone”

Which is different from “having your own strike zone”, “cheating the game”, etc.. whatever other rants and terms he uses..

If Moyer is getting calls just off the first-base side of home plate, and the opposing pitcher can show that he hits that location just as frequently.. the opposing pitcher will get those calls too..

Anyone that doesn’t know that, doesn’t know baseball.

And anyone that is complaing about the STRIKE calls that Moyer gets, is a miserable person, with nothing to gain out of life.. Complaining about the Phillies pitchers potential advantage in a game.. I never thought I’d see the day

60. Chuck P

April 27, 2009 at 11:17 am

Well said, Don… we tend to agree on a lot, don’t we?

61. Georgie

April 27, 2009 at 11:17 am

Don, why must you always resort to personal insults when someone doesn’t agree with you?

62. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 11:21 am

Also.. a baseball is about 3 inches wide.. which means that a ball can be 3 inchess off the plate.. and still hit “part” of the plate..

Marson can’t hit at this level.. his defense is better than I thought it would be.

But he is definitely overmatched right now.. maybe 1/2 a season more in AAA will make him ready for the future.. but he doesn’t look ready to me, yet

63. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 11:22 am

Im not a hater at all. Ive been a Phan all my life. You are not required to like every single player all the time. Phans are allowed to dislike certain players, this is no different.

Also, watching them win the WS was more gratifying than any other sporting memory in my life…so I dont know where you get off with that garbage…

64. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 11:27 am

What was the insult?

Saying that a phillies fan who complains about the potential advantage for one of his team’s pitchers is a “miserable person” ?

Or saying that people that don’t realize that pitchers with a long history of “painting the corners” will usually get the calls on those corners.. “don’t know baseball” ?

I’m not sure which one was the insult.. maybe both were?

I’ve said probably everyday for the past two weeks, that its really, really annoying to read this site and have to read about the poor performances of the Phillies.. now we just swept the 1st place Marlins.. in their ballpark.. and the next morning people are still complaining about Moyer.. enough already.

At least wait until his next 6 inning, 4 Earned Run (non Quality-Start) to rip the guy

65. christopher

April 27, 2009 at 11:34 am

“And anyone that is complaing about the STRIKE calls that Moyer gets, is a miserable person, with nothing to gain out of life..”

haha well said don.

66. Georgie

April 27, 2009 at 11:40 am

Well, yeah^ that’s a little insulting, but maybe I’m too sensitive, being a girl and all……

67. U Gotta Believe

April 27, 2009 at 11:44 am

That’s fine you don’t have to like every Philly player…but when you say Moyer has no respect for the game and he cheats…that is where you have crossed the line. I am just interested…who does respect the game in your opinion? Milton Bradley?

68. Chuck P

April 27, 2009 at 11:52 am

I wouldn’t take it personally, Georgie… that was clearly not directed at you. All you said was that one pitcher should not be allowed to have a larger strike zone simply based on reputation. I think that we all would agree on that, however, that’s not how the game works. And like Don said, if a pitcher is able to consistently hit that spot just off the plate, the ump is going to realize that it’s not by chance and he’s going to ease up every once in a while, especially as the game wears on. It’s like an argument… you start by saying one thing and the other person disagrees. If you are affirmative, respectful and consistent with your point, eventually the other person might give in. If Jamie is hitting that spot because he thinks that it’s a strike and he’s not a jerk about it (not showing up the ump), he’ll get that call. Surprisingly enough, they did some tests and it turns out that the umps are people, just like you and me. They’re going to like guys that they’ve seen and know won’t show them up… guys that have respect for the game.

69. Bruce

April 27, 2009 at 11:52 am

Don~ one shouldn’t paid too much attention to one who make irrational comments on certain players and Moyer in particular and conclude with repetitious and tiresome “see ya pal” or “outta here”.

I will say that in watching the game yesterday, the homeplate umpire was inconsistent with his calls BOTH ways for both teams. There were several times when Moyer appeared to have strikes that were called balls…and balls that were called strikes. Keep in mind the TV camera angle, it’s where the ball crosses the plate area and not in the glove. Of course, the catcher will attempt to influence the umpire by repositioning his mitt with ball (chuckles). The point is, it all evens out in the end.

Hey, it’s only 17 games into the season and I am seeing our starters becoming more effective. It’s nice to see Moyer leading the way with three wins after an outstanding performance yesterday.

70. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Thats whats really disgusting. Its like talking to cult members. Just one insult after another.

71. Georgie

April 27, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Maybe I should clarify that I am from the slide rule generation (only the hardcore math and science geeks had calculators in college), and other than this blog, I don’t comment or engage in converations on the internet. I never got to break up with a guy via text message or e-mail, everything was phone or person to person. I find you are much more likely to hurl insults and resort to name-calling when you know you will probably never have to face your opponent in person. I’ve always been a pacifist, even as a child, and go out of my way to not hurt peoples’ feelings. When barfights break out, I leave the premises quicker than jack-sh!t. Nastiness makes me very incomfortable, always has , always will.

Now you know more about me than I’m sure you care to, and regardless or what I said above, I will ALWAYS speak my mind, I just try to be respectful of others, even if they do talk trash at times.

72. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Im still confused as to what my insult was though..

Im pretty sure that everything Geoff posts is more offensive to Phillies fans than anything anyone else posts

73. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 1:06 pm

No, someone else went out of line.. A few others actually. You just say the normal stuff, which has more to do with baseball.

74. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Phuk those habitual line steppers

75. Johnson

April 27, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Moyer disrepsects the game because he takes advantage of a strike zone the umps give him…are you out of your mind…that is the dumbest comment i have ever heard…you are truly an idiot that has convinced yourself that this is a valid point that other people make actually care to hear and agree with…what a shame…were you always so dumb or did you get kicked my a horse recently

76. Richie Allen

April 27, 2009 at 2:05 pm

All I know is, a win is a win…I dont care if Moyer gets the marginal calls at all..So did Maddox,Glavine,etc,at the end of their careers.
    I never remember a Braves fan bitching about his own team winning because of it.
    Thats just plain rediculous.
    If we have an advantage,and we win…GREAT!

77. Johnson

April 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Geoff are you also complaining about people insulting you? well pal thats gonna happen when you make really stupid statements…dont be a baby…cant say something off the wall and cry when people make fun of you about it…ur posts stink

78. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Im not being any such thing, and any suggestion is preposterous.

79. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 2:31 pm

“were you always so dumb or did you get kicked by a horse recently” …. now that is funny!

80. Geoff

April 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Actually, its dumb to just vacantly go along with what everyone else says. Because its requires no thought.

81. Richie Allen

April 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I have to add something that we pretty much all agreed on over the winter.
    Moyer’s value to this team goes beyond his level of pitching. A lot of bloggers agreed that he is more or less a positive mentor to the young guys.Thats why most of us wanted him to stay here.
    So ,if we get quality starts out of him ,by painting the corners,thats what we expected him to do.This is how he pitches.
    Whats the problem?

82. Don M

April 27, 2009 at 3:03 pm

There is no problem.. its Bitter-Geoff, who when he doesn’t like a player, makes up random reasons why the guy should retire, get traded, get realsed, benched, etc..

If you aren’t a huge Jamie Moyer fine, thats fine.. nobody is banking on him winning the Cy Young.

Im actually done with this now.. Its a joke. 95% of us feel one way, of course Geoff is in the other 5%

this time complaining about how Moyer earned (or cheated his way to) the Quality Start that Geoff was craving so badly