Vote Phillies For The 2009 All-Star Game – Phillies Nation
News

Vote Phillies For The 2009 All-Star Game

With the Phillies returning home for a homestand against the Nationals and Mets, it’ll give fans a chance to vote for the National and American League All-Star teams. Vote Phillies? Yes you should.

Most years, teams with high visibility rule the balloting. Last year it was the Cubs. This year, let’s make it the world champs.

Of course, be within reason. If you’re voting All-Star, I suggest punching in these names wouldn’t seem outrageous (read Fukudome, Kosuke, 2008):

1B – Ryan Howard – .290 / 3 HR / 11 RBI
2B – Chase Utley – .317 / 5 HR / 16 RBI
OF – Raul Ibanez – .324 / 5 HR / 12 RBI / 3 SB
OF – Shane Victorino – .268 / 2 HR / 13 RBI / 3 SB
OF – Jayson Werth – .290 / 2 HR / 10 RBI

Of the five, I can absolutely see Utley and Ibanez winning their respective position votes. Utley was the leading vote-getter last season in the National League; no reason to think he shouldn’t be again.

Vote now by visiting here.

Click to comment

1. Evan

April 27, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Hey Tim, Ibanez has 3 stolen bases as well.

2. MikeMc26

April 27, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I’ve already voted like 15 times. When is Philly going to get the All-star Game at the Bank?

3. Bruce

April 27, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Last time I look at the calendar it reads April 27th. Seventeen games played and we’re asked to make choices on All-Star ballot? I know the motive is to stuff the ballots with names of our favorite Phillies players. And that holds true with fans in other cities for their team. Never mind those very small samples with stats, just vote for your favorite and most popular Phillies players. Personally, the popularity vote doesn’t go well with my principle on choosing a player (and not necessarily a Phillie) who is most deserving based on performance and value to team (including a LARGE sample of stats). After all, you want the best players to represent the NL and win so that the Phillies will have home field advantage for this year’s World Series. 😉

4. Greg V.

April 27, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I’m writing in Matt Stairs! Who wouldn’t want to see him hit a game winning bomb at Busch Stadium!

5. Michael N.

April 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Utley and Howard are a Lock. Victorino maybe the rest are a crapshoot although they are putting up good numbers the national league is loaded with outfielders that are bigger names and more popular then Ibanez. Although I don’t deny the Phillies van vote for their players i Just think think there is just too much talent out their for anybody to be on the team besides Utley and Howard.

6. Kevin

April 27, 2009 at 2:11 pm

what about Mr. Feliz? I know with third basemen like Zimmerman, Jones and Wright in this league – its a long shot… but Mr. Happy deserves a little play too. He’s killing it!

7. NEPA

April 27, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Kevin, if all star voting has taught us anything, its that stat don’t matter much at all. It doesn’t matter if Pedro Feliz goes off for ridiculous numbers, the fans won’t vote him in.

8. DHall

April 27, 2009 at 2:57 pm

What…no Rollins?

9. TBT

April 27, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Pujols usually win the 1B vote pretty comfortably, no?

With Charlie managing, I’d imagine there’ll be a fairly strong number of Phillies in the roster. Any of the pitchers who may have good numbers at the break has a good chance of being selected as well.

10. Bruce

April 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Pujols has the deserving recognition in baseball circles (including fans) as the best all around 1st baseman in the game and proudly possessing a gold glove trophy. All of Philadelphia and suburbs can submit their “popularity”vote for Howard and it wouldn’t be close. Before you jump to conclusion, I love Howard and he is great for the game and for fans. I’m glad Howard is striving to become a better defensive fielder and it shows so far this early in the season. However, needless to say, Pujols is the superior fielder and hitting well over .300 in his career.

11. Bruce

April 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info, TBT, I forgot that Manuel will be the All Star manager for the NL. You’re right, depending on player/pitcher’s season performance, we could see additional Phillies reps on All Star roster.

12. Mike

April 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I’m voting for Clay Condrey.

13. Alex

April 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I’m with Greg V, Matt Stairs all the way!

April 27, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Definitely voting for RAUUUUUUL

15. Maurita

July 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I vote for Shane Victorino !