All-Star Voting: Utley Leads 2B Early – Phillies Nation
News

All-Star Voting: Utley Leads 2B Early

Chase Utley leads all National League second basemen in All-Star voting. His 675,596 votes ranks second among all NL players, behind Albert Pujols.

Where other Phillies are ranked:

First base: Ryan Howard is third behind Pujols and Prince Fielder.
Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins is third behind JJ Hardy and Hanley Ramirez.
Outfield: Raul Ibanez is sixth behind Ryan Braun, Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Beltran, Manny Ramirez and Mike Cameron. Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth are in 10th and 12th places, respectively.

Yes, if you see a trend, it’s that the Brewers are all over the list. Jason Kendall is second among catchers; Rickie Weeks is second among second basemen; Bill Hall is second among third basemen. At 27-18 the Brewers lead the NL Central, but there is no way Kendall, Hardy and Hall should be in the top five in their respective positions. Oh, and Corey Hart (.242, 4 HR, 18 RBI) is seventh among outfielders. And I find it hard to believe that, arguably, the best player in the National League this season is sixth in his position.

Click to comment

1. clicheguevara

May 26, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Mike Cameron and Manny Ramirez? Oof. The other 3 I can understand.

2. Ed

May 26, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Fortunately Charlie is the manager of the team so he can even things out. But Ibanez not being in the top 3 is ridiculous.

3. Keith

May 26, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I think the Phillies should have four all-stars.

Utley! Howard! Ibanez! Feliz!

hell, put Rollins in there too. 😉

4. Chutley

May 26, 2009 at 5:50 pm

No way Manny makes it. It would be a disgrace to the game

5. Bruce

May 26, 2009 at 5:57 pm

For all the warts with the popular vote (I rather see the managers, players, media or any combination to do the voting) , if the fans so choose Manny by popular demand, we must abide by the results.

6. Griffin

May 26, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Utley will start, Ibanez will get picked as a sub and that will be it for the Phils.

7. Sean

May 26, 2009 at 6:07 pm

if the all star game is supposed to mean something, then stop letting the fans turn it into a popularity contest.

it’s so stupid.

8. Keith

May 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm

nah, I think Howard will def. make it too.

9. Phil

May 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm

This should be the starting line up:

C- Brian McCann(I haven’t really heard of any catchers having great years and he’s the best usually)
    1B- Albert Pujols
    2B- Chase Utley
    3B- David Wright
    SS- Hanley Ramirez
    LF- Raul Ibanez
    CF- Carlos Beltran
    RF- ??? that could be a lot of people because a LF or RF could play RF for the ASG.
    P- Johan Santana

10. Phillygirl

May 26, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I already used up two email addresses. Howard will move up the list, but Ibanez just isn’t that well known in the NL. I think he deserves to be on it, without a doubt, he’s just underrated. Utley will be on the team with no problems, other than him, we’ll see who Manuel places on it. Phils Phans need to step up in voting, obviously Brewers fans are voting.

11. happy noose

May 26, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Vote swap with Baltimore- Adam Jones for Ibanez? Lets cancel out all those New York votes and get some actual deserving players in there on both sides. Make it happen all you in the DC Metro area!

May 26, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Cmon people lets vote more for Rauuuuuuul!

13. BrianD

May 26, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I agree with Sean. WS home field advantage is at stake. Players should be voted in by their peers, coaches, and maybe even media members. If everyone would actually look at it the way Phil does (the best players so far this season- 3 Mets included) then I wouldn’t have a problem with the fans’ voting. Too bad that is hardly ever the case.

14. Brian of CO

May 26, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Ibanez in 6th? FREAKING BS. I already votes, but since we can vote several times I am sure as heck going to vote again for Raul. Ibanez is leading the majors in Homers, I believe in 2nd for average. Are yoy kidding me?

15. ryan

May 27, 2009 at 1:10 am

it is an absolute disgrace to have Ryan Howard behind Prince Fielder. something must be done to change that. and Raul Ibanez also absolutely must start in this game.

16. M.P. aka Philles Phan SC #54

May 27, 2009 at 8:51 am

Agreed, I am going to do what I can to remind people to get online and vote Rauuuul. He HAS to beat Manny, no question.

17. Sam

May 27, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I can NOT believe that Manny is ahead of Raul or even in the top 10 for that matter. Who on earth would vote for a guy that has further tainted the sport of baseball and pick him to represent the national league?! Are fans these days really that dumb?! I’m sorry, but Manny shouldn’t even be allowed to play and I’d be shoacked if Charlie picked him for the reserve (that is if the “fan” vote doesn’t get him in). This is a disgrace! Vote Raul for he is the guy in this league that deserves it the most…leading in HRs and RBIs, this is a no-brainer.

18. Curt

May 27, 2009 at 4:18 pm

All-Star voting is a joke! How can anyone not vote for Raul regardless of their favorite team. Ibanez should recieve a vote on every ballot….the man is the NL MVP at this point in the season and if he isn’t a starter on the All-Star team then they shouldn’t even call it an All-Star game anymore. It’s a ballot stuffing competition!!