Harry Kalas Tribute

Kalas to be Inducted into Wall of Fame

On August 7, Harry Kalas will be inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame.

“When we started the Wall of Fame in 1978, the intent was to honor the great players in our history,” team president David Montgomery said. “We believe it is fitting to make an exception because Harry deserves to be remembered along with some of the greatest names in our history. He is indeed a Phillies icon.”

The Wall of Fame is located in Ashburn Alley at Citizens Bank Park.

Click to comment

1. Steve-o

May 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Nice move here by the Phils. In an unrelated note, the August 7th game has sold out.

2. Griffin

May 28, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Hard to argue with this move. Go Phils.

3. Dave

May 28, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Will they be doing two inducties? I think they should due to the situation.

4. Mazinman

May 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Wonderful act by the Phillies. If there was ever a non-player that deserved being there it is Harry. I hope they put him up right beside Whitey.

5. Mike W.

May 28, 2009 at 4:23 pm

This has nothing to do with the great HK, but I hope everyone saw Bastardo dominate again in his 2nd AAA start today. 7 IP, 0 R this time (after 6 IP, 11 K in his first game).

I hope he is in our rotation by the all star break.

6. JeffS

May 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Some of us have to work, darnit. What was the rest of his line? Was his velocity any better than in the game last weekend?

7. Mike W.

May 28, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Ha, no idea about his velocity, they don’t show that on the website, but they do have live in game updates on ironpigsbaseball.com, which i visit daily.

I think it was 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 1K, 1BB.

His velocity was bad last game?? Yet he had 11 K??

8. AM

May 28, 2009 at 5:12 pm

the game on the 7th isn’t sold out, I just bought tickets off of the Phillies website.. decent ones at that.

9. JeffS

May 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm

No, his velocity wasn’t “bad” last game. Just that it SEEMED slower to me than it SEEMED to be in Reading. Maybe it’s just the different surroundings. I’m thinking it was the very high 80’s, but just a guess. Only one K today? Darn. Still, he has been on a tear, career advancement-wise, this year.

10. Greg V.

May 28, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I guess my campaign to get Ricky Bo on the Wall was an utter failure!

11. Brian of CO

May 28, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Great to see them honor HK like this. He deserves it, I agree with an earlier post about the Duo, HK and Whitey. Whitey has been missed, but Im not sure alot of people truely missed Whitey until HK passed as well. Then they realized just how lucky we have been to have Whitey and and HK, two of the best ever. People realize it now because everyone is subjected to listening to “wheels”, or mute it and listen to the radio while watching the TV is probably more like it. LOL. Great honor though! On a different note, I wasnt able to watch the game, why did Ibanez get the Steve Jeltz award, instead of Myers?

12. Travis

May 28, 2009 at 5:36 pm

bad news via philly.com: After having an MRI today, Phillies pitcher Brett Myers was told that there was fraying to the labrum in his right hip, an injury that could require surgery and jeopardize the remainder of his season.

“I don’t know what I am going to do,” Myers told The Inquirer. “First I am going to get a second opinion.”

Myers said that the Phillies doctors told him the injury would likely require surgery.

Call ups or Trades???

Myers said his hip has been bothering him for much of the season. He left Wednesday night’s game against Florida in the sixth inning with pain and inflammation in his hip.

Myers is 4-3 with a 4.66 ERA in 10 starts, allowing 1’7 homers in 632/3 innings.

13. Alex

May 28, 2009 at 5:37 pm

My guess would be the bases loaded DP and 2 strike outs.

14. Don M

May 28, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Does anyone actually like Sarge more than Wheels??

I’m not the world’s biggest Wheels fan, but he’s at least entertaining and doesn’t stumble over his words.. and say things like
    “In order to get baserunners, you need guys to get on base.” like our boy Sarge..

just wondering

15. Georgie

May 28, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, Zolecki and Dave Murphy are on DNL right now, talking about it, looks like Myers is done for the season. They said hell probably seek a second opinion….

16. Georgie

May 28, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Don, I like both of them better than TMac, he’s starting to wear on me.

17. The Little Guy

May 28, 2009 at 5:51 pm

TMac is annoying, Sarge is Sarge, and How does wheels have a job?

18. The Little Guy

May 28, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Their talking about the minor leaguers on DNL now.

19. happy noose

May 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm

how is Morandini in the wall of fame? Guys like him making it in really devalue and make it just a promotion rather than an honor. If no one from the 90s deserve it (which they dont- the phils sucked) than dont put anyone in for a few years. Thats what the flyers do. They actually have a ton of players who deserve it who arent in it from the mid 90s, but theirs means something. It would have been nice to see them put HK in while he was alive but this will be special.

20. Nick

May 28, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Just to let everyone know, there’s still very good tickets for this game left. I just bought first row on the field, so get the good ones while you can.

21. ED W

June 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm

22. Eileen

July 23, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I got my tickets for several games back in Dec 08.When we found out that Harry was going on the wall of fame,we wanted to get tickets even if they were nose bleed seats.Well I was very pleased to discover that that game was among the tickets i already had.We won’t be sitting in the nose bleed section after all.
    I listened to Harry from day one at the Vet,It wasn’t Phillies baseball without that voice.There is not a game that goes by that i don’t think of Harry-there never will be.Harry you were the best-I know you and Whitey
    are up there in heaven calling games being played by the alltime greats.
    You were(and always will be in my heart) the best.i miss you.