Keep The Change

Keep The Change: Hey, New Yawk!

This is “Keep the Change,” a new feature by Nick “The Beer Man” Staskin. Nick is a beer man at Citizens Bank Park; he’ll post weekly with observations from the fans at the park, trying to get a good sense of where the Phillies stand in the eyes of those who most matter.

BeermanWelcome to the second edition of “Keep the Change.”

Don’t look know, but going into their second short series in a week against the Mets, the Phils are the hottest team in the National League and have risen to the top of the NL East. What did we take out of last weekend’s series? Well … not much … not much at all really after Sunday’s rain, which hasn’t left the area since, washing out the rubber match.

The Two-Game Split
Friday night, the excitement was in the air. Sadly, Chan Ho Park was on the mound. Last week, a couple readers questioned whether the fans knew anything about J.A. Happ. After another ugly start by Park, more and more fans are getting familiar the possibility of seeing Happ in the rotation. Phillies fans are generally a pretty well-educated bunch, and it doesn’t take a Rhodes Scholar to see that Park won’t be in the rotation for much longer. Joe Blanton’s strong start Monday night against the Cardinals definitely did not help Park’s status, either.

One fan summed up Park as “this year’s Adam Eaton.” Tough to argue with him. Hell, the Mets fans at The Bank were pretty happy when Charlie Manuel let Park work through his struggles, just because it meant more innings out of him.

Saturday, the Phils got to the Mets bullpen. The Achilles heel of New York was right back at it again. If you can leave K-Rod sitting in the bullpen, chances are you are going to put up some runs. If you told me the Phillies would manufacture a run without getting the ball out of the infield to win a game, I’d be pretty surprised. If you had told me it would come against the Mets bullpen … not as surprised.

The Rivalry … Slows Down?
Will the Mets fans dish it out as hard as we did last weekend? Tough to tell, but something was missing this weekend. I know it was early in the season, but it didn’t seem as many New Yorkers made the trek down the Turnpike as they had in years past. I guess walking into the stadium of the World F’n Champions can be a little intimidating.

Finally, two random observations from walking the stadium:

• I did not see one attractive female Mets fan. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not above looking at a woman regardless of if she likes the enemy. The Beerman’s eyes don’t discriminate. Could I date a Mets fan? Of course not, but I’d look. BUT THERE WERE NONE IN ATTENDANCE! The Phillies female followers did not disappoint, as always.
  • Mets fans smell like hoagies. I don’t know what it is. But all Mets fans smell like hoagies to me. When they walk past me, I just pick up a whiff of salami and onions. Go figure.

See you in the stands … or next week. Whichever comes first?

Click to comment

1. Georgie

May 6, 2009 at 12:05 pm

hahaha, “Mets fans smell like hoagies”, thank you for making me laugh for the first time today!

2. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I noticed a lot less Mets fans too.. I think it’s more that Phillies fans want to keep their tickets and go the games this year, and not Mets fans are unwilling to come down..

I’ve been to too many Mets, RedSox, etc games where it seems like 50% of the fans.. aren’t for the Phillies.. Hopefully that stops..

3. terry

May 6, 2009 at 12:20 pm

The only reason why the phillies won last year is beacuse wagner got hurt. If he was the closer the mets would have won not the phillies.

4. Big Pappas Pump

May 6, 2009 at 12:20 pm

As a Mets fan, I sadly concede that when I’ve had a vigrorous workout, I do detect an odor of Italian Sub around me. God, I wish I was joking…

5. mr met

May 6, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Last year was the phillies year this year its the mets. I can see it already the Newyork Mets Nl east division champions

6. vito

May 6, 2009 at 12:28 pm

krod is not the only good relif pitcher the mets have. they have putz. and by the way the mets have the best bullpen ERA in the National league

7. Bruce

May 6, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I agree with Don that there are a greater number of Phillies fans with season tickets which make it difficult for any fans (besides the Mets fans) to get tickets for a CBP game.

I see with the tonight’s series opener at Citi Field, the Mets fans are making themselves heard here. No surprise.

8. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 12:33 pm

How come the Mets didn’t make the playoffs in 2007, when they did have Wagner?

9. The Beerman

May 6, 2009 at 12:43 pm

While for the most part, the Mets pen is off to a solid start, it will take more than 4 weeks to lose its “running joke” status after the past couple of seasons.

10. Keith

May 6, 2009 at 12:45 pm

well I’ll be at the game tonight, rooting for the Phillies 😀

11. mspacman

May 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm

there are no attractive women who are mets fans AND there are no attractive men who are mets fans.

12. Chooch's Cooches

May 6, 2009 at 1:01 pm

the lady mets fans smell like tuna salad sandwiches

13. Phan in TN

May 6, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Glad to read your stuff Nick, well done!

only one point of contention though…i thought Mets fans smell dirty feet

or

ass

14. Russ

May 6, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I feel like every mets fan I know is fat, lazy, and has jungles of hair growing off their backs and coming out from the top of their shirts.

15. ryan

May 6, 2009 at 1:14 pm

love this column!

and hey beer man, two of my own observations:

1. there are TONS of very very attractive ladies at every phils game. It’s become another great reason to head to the ballpark. Funny, but I don’t remember so many nice looking ladies in short shorts and Phils t-shirts at the Vet. lol

and

2. Mets fans smell like HEROES. because that’s what those idiots call a hoagie up there. don’t even disgrace our local dialect by applying it to those greasy filthy losers.

16. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Haha two WS in 120 years, most immature fans in sports, you all smell like cheessteak and feces, and your city is filled with gays. Just figured i would add my seven year old perspective on your rediculous blog. Hey whoever you are that runs this blog…you’ll always be a no body, and you are extremely unprofessional, just like your entire filthy city.

17. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Oh and your city’s most recognizable figure is a made up character.

18. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 1:18 pm

“most immature fans in sports”

“you all smell like cheessteak and feces, and your city is filled with gays”

“rediculous”

I love the internet.

World Champions.

19. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:19 pm

And if you pulled your heads out of your chessy, spunk filled cracks, you’d see way more attractive mets fans.

20. Phan in TN

May 6, 2009 at 1:19 pm

bragging about having the mind of a seven year old isn’t that bright.

does he want it back?

21. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Yea i do, you can talk to me im here still dumbass.

22. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 1:23 pm

NOBODY* is one word.

Your infield is filled with ..

23. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Don shouldn’t you be teaching your class and not on a blog?

24. ryan

May 6, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Our city’s most recognizable figure is made up? which one do you think is fiction, is it Benjamin Franklin or the Liberty Bell? maybe you should brush up on your history books.

25. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Instead, the Phillies only won the World Series, which I guess is alright

Did the Mets put up a banner or get rings for winning beating us head-to-head last year? I heard that they didn’t… but that can’t be correct..

26. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Winning the head-to-head, heck, winning the NL East doesn’t look like this:

This is what the playoffs must look like to Mets fans:

27. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Last time i checked the Mets have the same number of “rings” and “banners” so i can run my mouth until one of you trys to put your cheesesteak in it.

28. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:28 pm

And yeah Don your so smart, send me a picture with two all-stars trying to make fun of the mets…keep giving your city a good name man!

29. Phillies STILL SUCK

May 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Phillies suck. Go mets. 2 WS in 120 years. Howard should get tested for roids. And utley is a scumbag, heard he was born in philly. See you later guys!

30. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 1:33 pm

They look pretty cool .. I wonder if those clothes also come in MENS though?

31. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm

So… Jose Reyes gets his Dugout-dance-moves AND his clothing from Michael Jackson.. thats cool

32. Evan

May 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I saw a guy wearing a Phils jersey holding a girl’s hand who was wearing a Cards jersey during the game last night. Why can’t we all just get along?

33. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Here is a fine picture of David Wright, on October 29th…the night we won the World Series.

As you can see here, Wright is having the last laugh, and showing us that the Mets won 11 of the more important head-to-head games last season.. Postseason games don’t matter to the Mets

34. Hoshaque

May 6, 2009 at 1:41 pm

These Mets fans are absolutely ridiculous! They all smell bcause they are from queens. Have you people ever heard of a shower? People who root for the Mets are the fans who couldn’t afford Yankees tickets for years so the followed the rank and file or should I say scank and scum into that toilet bowl that they used to call a stadium. What is queens famous for besides the dam airport that used to ruin broadcast of the games. Philly has tons of reconizable figures, what are the mets known for besides playing second fiddle to the Yankees, choking, and blowing leads with a week to play. To all Mets fans BOO F*CK YOU!

35. NY2TheHeart

May 6, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I’d rather smell like a hoagie than a Cheesteak Pretzel! You scum bag Philly people wish you could afford to live in NY! You ALLOWED over 50% of your stadium to be filled with Mets fans in the past, but now all the sudden you guys are “fans” and decide to actually go to games. At least we are not front runners, we stick through the bad pen years and all. I’ll gladly take David Wright over Pedro Felise; I’ll take Jose Reyes over Jimmy “ExMVP Hitting .210” Rollins. Yea, we are gonna run away with the title starting now. Screw you fat cheesteak lovin, pretzel eatin, water ice spillin pigs

36. insults on messages boards > anything

May 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm

spelling is overrated

so is being above .500

i know you met fans agree with me right?

37. Bruce

May 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm

You’re right Evan. But as blogs go, it’s inevitable that there will be trash talk precipitated by Beer Man’s remark.. “Mets fans smell like hoagies.” When I read that, I knew what was coming. Oh well, let them have their fun. The fans rivalry right? 😉

38. Hoshaque

May 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm

You people live in the poorest bourough in NY, it is certainly not Manhattan..lol get your facts straight our stadium is never filled with 50% Mets fans. Maybe you have that fact confused with the fact that your fans cant fill your new stadium. If you guys hate Philly so much why do you pay crazy prices for horrible seats off of stub hub to come to Philly, maybe its because we have better looking girls.

39. Phan in TN

May 6, 2009 at 1:52 pm

it appears that the mets fan is beating us with experience.

vapid, mouth breathing, myopic, sister kissing, karmically challenged, miscreant mets fans….

too much like conversing with a little bus inhabitant…

40. insults on messages boards > anything

May 6, 2009 at 1:56 pm

to clarify..what i meant to say was

go to school

win some games

then come try to talk shit on the wfc’s

41. Chooch's Cooches

May 6, 2009 at 2:03 pm

this is great. not one mets fan has come on here and denied smelling like a hoagie (with extra mayo and onions), or that their female counterparts smell like tuna.

42. Chooch's Cooches

May 6, 2009 at 2:05 pm

and NY2 the Heart, thank you for complimenting all of the wonderful foods that our city is known for. now go enjoy a tv dinner in your trailer in north jersey.

43. Georgie

May 6, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Ok, NOW I’m laughing, I knew you guys could cheer me up!

“spelling is overrated” hahahahahaha!!!!!!

44. The Beerman

May 6, 2009 at 2:09 pm

lol chessy….

45. Georgie

May 6, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Oh, GrrrrumpyMiner, we aren’t talking about you, I think I can speak for most of us there…..

46. Mike

May 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Good lord, what are you guys, 8 years old?

47. SJ Mike

May 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Don, I love these pictures you keep bringing up.

May 6, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Great post Nick! haha

49. Georgie

May 6, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Mike, (just plain, not SJ), I am immature for my age, I’ll be the first to admit that!

50. mr met

May 6, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Hate the phillies, the fans well 90% of you are alright, there is 10% of you who are just a disgrace but that said…

i concede the chicks at citizens bank park are by far the hottest, its actually something i look fwd too, makes tolerating that F-ud 10% you worth it.

51. Jose Reyes

May 6, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Gays? Greasy things in my mouth? I love Philly!

52. vito

May 6, 2009 at 2:58 pm

we may smell but atleast we are not rednecks. Every phillie fan i see is a redneck and they have very bad shouthern voice

53. Adam C

May 6, 2009 at 3:01 pm

THE NEXT ADAM EATON? At least Eaton he had a bunch of quality starts before we got rid of him! Park has been totally useless…..worse than Eaton.

No, I’m not Adam Eaton.

54. David Wright

May 6, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Man with all these pictures of me and Jose I’m glad the ones of us in bed together didn’t get out yet.

55. terry

May 6, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I know all the Phillie fans are sound uneducated. they are all probally ditch diggers and when they are not working they are watching jerry springer

56. PtheBLovesTheBallGirls

May 6, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Hey Terry,

“I know all the Phillie fans are sound uneducated.”

Great job of sounding educated.

57. Phillies Phan SC

May 6, 2009 at 3:10 pm

No attractive Mets fans HA. As far as uneducated, I am working on a PhD, I also came from humble roots. I CAN afford to live in NY, but why would I want to? And of course we allowed Mets fans to come, I mean – c’mon, we have to pay for our team so we can take another trip to the Post-season while you all root against us because your team is also sitting at home rooting with you!

58. terry

May 6, 2009 at 3:13 pm

they just don’t sound uneducated they are.

59. tony

May 6, 2009 at 3:18 pm

60. terry

May 6, 2009 at 3:21 pm

It sounds like all the phillie fans come from alabama

61. Woodman

May 6, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Did the 4th grade get out early today in NY?

62. terry

May 6, 2009 at 3:29 pm

63. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 3:33 pm

“Phillie fans are horrible there stadium can only sell out if they have a good year or if they play the mets beacuse half the stadium is mets fans”

What does this even mean? That good baseball teams sell more tickets? In 2005, before the Mets had their brief stint with good baseball, you were ranked 8th in attendance, right behind the freaking Padres.

2006, 2007 and 2008 people were waiting for you to win something and Shea was right up there at 3rd in attendance.

Now, that your team is a bunch of ugly, underachieving nobodys you’re right back down to being 7th in attendance when–gee, look at that–the Philadelphia Phillies are right there under the #1 New York Yankees.

Largest city in the USA and you guys can’t even fool Asian tourists and families from the Mid-West to go to your gay baseball games.

64. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 3:34 pm

New York schools had a full day.. I think it’s those North Jersey schools that got out early today

“they just don’t sound uneducated they are.”

… you mean, “They don’t JUST sound uneducated, they are uneducated!” ?

Buck Theet.. is that what the Mets players choke on every September?

65. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Are there any intelligent Mets fans that have actual input towards this series?

Or just people arguing over who smells worse??

66. terry

May 6, 2009 at 3:54 pm

hey don I think jerry springer is on soon you might miss it. oh wait you can’t afford a tv.

67. terry

May 6, 2009 at 3:55 pm

i’m sorry chase the mets outdrew the yankees last year

68. vito

May 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm

there is no way the phillies had more attendance than the mets

69. Bates

May 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Mets Fans < Phillies Fans. It’s simple. So a New York fan should get it. Stupid clowns.

70. Keystone

May 6, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I’ll be at the game tonight. Go phils!!

71. slj9486

May 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm

i just find it hilarious that mets fans have the gall to come on a phillies blog, not just the mlb website but a completely separate blog, and state that we have no class and are uneducated. We are the WS champs, 1st place in the NL East, scored most runs in the NL, and you are a game below .500 and TWO AND A HALF game behind us. your argument about how your team is so wonderful and great just make you look stupid, please save yourselves the embarrasment.

72. Bates

May 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm

BTW. 2008 attendance rankings…Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, Angels, Cubs…There is only one stat/thing that matters though. Who wins in the end. We won that statistic. Go away you butt pirate met fans.

73. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm

No you didn’t:

The most annoying trait of Mets fans is their inability to realize exactly who their team is. You spend so much of your lives hearing shit from Yankees fans that you start to absorb their attitude. The Yankees, there is no arguing, are the class of baseball. Strong brand, 26 rings, always in the mix. The Mets, you’re a joke to most followers of baseball. Especially recently with your September exploits, tendency to sign old, washed up superstars to big contracts, etc. Most baseball jokes end with the punchline: “The Mets.” You’ve serially done nothing in over 20 years but like to thump your chest like you’re coming off a Championship year.

Phillies and 10,000 losses. Most of us think it’s funny and take pride in following a team that’s even been around that long. The Abreu years, the Thome years, we had ok teams but never believed our own BS. Always err’d on the side that something wasn’t going to go right and it didn’t. Red Sox fans pre-2004, die hard fans but you wouldn’t find a single one that would brag about being world beaters. The Nats, the Bucs, the Royals, the Rays. It’s hard to dislike fans of those teams because when they’re bad, they know they’re bad. The players act like players on the Nats, the Bucs and the Royals. You would think one World Series appearance in the last two decades and two MONUMENTAL collapses in a row would humble some of you jackasses.

74. Bates

May 6, 2009 at 4:12 pm

“i’m sorry chase the mets outdrew the yankees last year”-terri…..Edumacait yerself. Learn your sh!t before you talk it.

75. Angelo

May 6, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Who is Hoshaque?

76. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Hi vito. Welcome to our blog. Here are 2009’s current attendance records:

Rank Team Total Avg PCT
    3 Philadelphia Phillies 590,408 42,172 96.9%
    7 New York Mets 458,408 38,200 91.0%

All of that with your new Brooklyn Dodger stadium too. Hell, when the bank opened in 2004, we ranked #4 in attendance and we stunk then.

77. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I’m guessing that “terry” is a 14 year-old fat girl from North Jersey ?

78. Tim Malcolm

May 6, 2009 at 4:27 pm

We should just start a blank thread before each Phils-Mets series. Headline: Talk trash here. No need for body text.

79. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I’ve been saying it all off-season.. the Royals are legit!!

Pirates and Nats are bad though

80. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 4:30 pm

That’s a good idea.. and other posts for actual conversations!

There hasn’t been any baseball talk all day..

81. Chuck P

May 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Did you see the percentages on that attendance chart? Phils home attendance at 97%… that’s pretty damn impressive. Red Sox cleaned up with 104%.

Hoagies… we’re bringing the Seoul Train t’night… watch out!

82. Rob

May 6, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Keep these articles coming, they are great

83. Rob

May 6, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Mets Fans are not from New York, they are North Jersey Trash…New Yorkers are Yankees fan.

Either way they are bums

84. cm

May 6, 2009 at 4:45 pm

“the phillie fans look so ugly with there stupid buck theet and the woman look like elephants”

Really terry? Is this all you do all day, post comments on Phillies blogs? If you actually had graduated from 3rd grade, your sentence would have looked like this:

“the PHILLIES fans look so ugly with THEIR stupid buck TEETH and the WOMEN look like elephants”

notice all of the words you spelled wrong are capitalized.

But hey, 4 out of 17 isn’t that bad, but of course it’s going to be the Mets record in the last twenty games of the season this year.

85. Phillies fan in NY

May 6, 2009 at 4:54 pm

tim, can we get a spellcheck on the beer man’s post?

“Don’t look know…”

seriously, no good… and met fans are from NY… queens, some brooklyn, long island… jersey people, westchester people are yankee fans. Being that you’re all from philly, your lack of knowledge and sheer ignorance on what goes in NY is getting out of control. Before you dump all over the ‘burbs of NY, i’ve been to philly… the city, the burbs, all of it… and it’s the same shit. The same boring people doing the same boring shit… save your venom for the mets players, better served there.

86. terry

May 6, 2009 at 4:57 pm

hey cm go back to your trailer and watch the Phillies get shutout by the best pitcher in baseball.

87. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 4:59 pm

You guys are the ones on the Phillies Nation website.. right??

I’m not on any Mets blogs arguing with people.. but I guess I can’t really blame you guys.

like I said earlier:
    “If we won the head-to-head Season Series last year, I’d be running my mouth too.. “

88. terry

May 6, 2009 at 4:59 pm

tell me how my spelling was.

89. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Terry the Hut

90. terry

May 6, 2009 at 5:09 pm

cm should change his name to PHILLIES fan since the last game of the 2007 season. You are not all real fans you are just frontrunners. I know this for a fact beacuse in a suburb of Philly. In 2005 and 2006 in NEVER saw someone with a Phillie hat or a shirt. In fact sometimes I would forget there was a team here. But now every has all the shirts and hats and I will bet when they loose this year I will forget about them again.

91. terry

May 6, 2009 at 5:10 pm

sorry i forgot to put i live in a subrub of philly

92. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I think people at the Fightins or Birdland should make a Head-To-Head trophy. It will be some styrofoam cups duct taped together and one of those mini baseball helmets you used to get sundaes in at the Ground Round at the top. The first one will have a boring rectangle on the front with the words “Inaugural Trophy” on a 45 degree angle in an Arial font. We could call it the Jackie Robinson Memorial Rotunda Head-To-Head Award.

I know it’s no World Series trophy but it’ll have to do.

Best pitcher in baseball, best head-to-head record, third baseman with the nicest eyebrows, blah, blah, blah.

93. David, the Mets fan from Queens

May 6, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Dear Nick Staskin,

In your blog, “Keep the Change: Hey New Yawk,” you’ve posited nothing more than an insubstantial biased rant about the Mets and a hollow interpretation of their phenotype and odor. I expected to read an article that was both more objective and informative, especially from your respected blog-site, which I frequently visit when the Mets play the Phillies. Your lack of professionalism is both deplorable and insulting to those fans that are actually seeking some Philadelphian insight (if any) into tonight’s game at Citi Field. Your defiant and sophomoric behavior is indicative of the “Philly trash” most New Yorkers are accustomed to seeing. With that said, you should apologize to your fellow Philadelphians as you make you, your city, and your blog site look like a joke.

As for your hypothesis about why not many Mets fans traveled to Citizen’s Ban Park, have you not considered the economic crisis that’s afflicting almost every individual? Must your reasons be constricted to the rivalry itself? I’m sure that your championship has deterred some Mets fans from attending your stadium, but I’d, personally, be more afraid of the drunken fans that attend your stadium. Nothing says, “come to my stadium” like several inebriated Phillies fans that are almost jumping out of their seats to shove last year’s championship in the Mets fans’ faces! I’m not like most Mets fans that are smug about your championship; you won, and it was well-deserved. What I AM smug about is biased writers and their verbal diarrhea that lacks any level of objectivity!

In any event, may the best team win the NL East! You’re all entitled to your opinions.

David

94. Don M

May 6, 2009 at 5:28 pm

David, the Mets fan from Queens must have gone to college at one of Philadelphia’s fine colleges or universities.. as that was one impressive rant!

Chase Mutley had me laughing with the “third baseman with the nicest eyebrows” !

95. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 5:29 pm

The internet was much better before blogs because serious business. It’s a blog, not the Wall Street Journal.

Phillies Nation, not brought to you by Verizon.

96. hamels likes men

May 6, 2009 at 5:38 pm

hi philly will lose

97. Evan

May 6, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I enjoyed David the Mets fan from Queens rant. In fact, he was right about several things, such as how insubstantial the digs at the Mets were in the original post.

However, David himself went on to make similar superficial digs at Philadelphia. David, as a man who can write so well, you should realize the futility of such remarks, which only serve to fan the flames of shit talk.

Both cities have loudmouth misanthropes who smell. Both cities have drunken fans that will harass visiting rivals (I visited Shea a few times last year to that effect). Surprisingly, both teams have had shitty seasons and good seasons. This is the ugly side of rivalry. The side that has nothing to do with baseball and everything to do with ignorance.

98. terry

May 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I wonder how many hits the Phillies will have against Johan tonignt 3 or 4??????

99. vito

May 6, 2009 at 5:59 pm

none

100. tony

May 6, 2009 at 6:02 pm

If they are lucky they get about 5.

101. Dan

May 6, 2009 at 6:02 pm

David the mets fan….who cares who wins the NL east…that’s the difference betwen the Phils and the Muts right now, we want to repeat as World Champs, you want to beat the Phillies soooo bad!

102. David, the Mets fan from Queens

May 6, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Evan,

I concur with everything you’ve said in your succinct, but efficacious post. When one cannot efficiently explicate how he or she feels or what he or she thinks about a certain issue, person, team etc., he or she will resort to laconic statements that are most likely pejorative; I guess my mentioned description of ineptitude qualifies as ignorance. I was guilty of such a rash reaction, regardless of its subtlety; I guess it wasn’t that subtle if you were able to notice it, Evan.

What was your opinion of Shea Stadium? I solemnly miss Shea. I suggest that you visit Citi Field at your soonest convenience as it is an aesthetically beautiful stadium with various amenities. It looks and feels very similar to Citizen’s Bank Park, but nonetheless has a unique vibe to it. The stadium security is very proper and responds to any minute disturbance throughout the game. For the prices we, Mets fans, pay to attend those ball games, I’m glad that they’re escorting pernicious drunks out of the stadium.

Do you think that Chan Ho Park will have a prolific performance tonight, or will he blunder mightily like he did this past weekend? I’m curious as to how the Phillies batters will respond to Santana’s junk, given that this is his second year in the league. Many sports commentators on SNY are talking about Lidge’s seemingly new-found fallibility and how hitters have lost their initial fear of him – what are they saying in Philly? You guys are fairing well, regardless of Hamels’ injury. I how the NL East standings will change when both Hamels returns healthy and Ollie Perez finds his groove once again.

David

103. vito

May 6, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I’m thinking shutout.

104. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:05 pm

I hope your right Vito

105. David, the Mets fan from Queens

May 6, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Dan,

Using rudimentary logic, in order to win the World Series, we must win either the NL East or the Wild Card. Seeing as the Phillies will win several games, we most likely will have to beat the Phillies to win the NL East. Also, seeing as the Wild Card will (arguably) come out of the NL Central, we’d need to beat the Phillies to also gain some edge on the Wild Card. Henceforth, we need to beat the Phillies to win the World Series.

I know that my argument is inductive, but it nonetheless holds true.

David

106. Jason B.

May 6, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Terry, I really hope you’re not physically or mentally handicapped. I will feel bad calling you an idiot and a moron. First of all, The Phillies are the OLDEST team in baseball.(Actually The Pirates are, but they were called a different name, we have the longest going name) You do not survive 127 years in one place without having a consistent and large fan base. To say that we are all frontrunners is a joke. Second, please kindly proof read your responses. Look for grammar and spelling. I suggest a dictionary for the spelling and a 5th grade English book for the proper grammar. Lastly, please go to a Mets blog and chirp. nobody on this site really cares about what you are saying. All you are doing is making yourself look foolish, and are giving reasons for people to rip on you.

107. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Vito who pitches tomorrow for the mets??

108. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Is that Jason Bay writing to me?

109. vito

May 6, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I belive that Mike Pelfry Pitches next

110. Phillies fan in NY

May 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I’m thinking terry is a kid… that’s really the only explanation.

111. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I blow baboons for enjoyment i recieve from it. I like it a lot.

112. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:11 pm

My mom touches me and i like it a little. does that make me wierd?

113. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm

when i am alone at night, i think about fernando tatis, a lot. bad thoughts. dirty thoughts. thoughts of him and jose reyes high fiving each other seductivly

114. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:17 pm

thinking of mr. met makes me want to rub penut butter on my baseballs and encourage my dog to lick it off. mmm Mr Met and penut bitter. mmm yea.

115. Chase Mutley

May 6, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Who is Fernando Tatis?

116. The Beerman

May 6, 2009 at 6:26 pm

LOL…this is some good stuff. Dan…the story is in good humor…get over it. I’ve done my fair share of straight-forward reporting for different sites such as Philly.com and ComcastSportsNet.com. This is a Phillies fan blogsite, and the weekly column is served as a way to lighten up what can be a long season…a very long season if you are a Mets fan. Getting ready to watch the game now, but I’ll be looking forward to checking the rest of these rants when I get back…

…but thanks for reading

117. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:41 pm

lol thats funny

118. terry

May 6, 2009 at 6:42 pm

who ever wrote in my name has a sense good sense of humor. very funny

119. cm

May 6, 2009 at 8:40 pm

you live in a subrub, terry?