Opinion: 2 Of 3 Starters Have To Go – Phillies Nation
Opinion

Opinion: 2 Of 3 Starters Have To Go

MoyeroutHere’s your regular pitching staff update. Now it’s May 18:

Jamie Moyer is 169th out of 172 in the majors in ERA (8.15). After yesterday’s debacle, Chan Ho Park is 158th (7.08) and Joe Blanton is 152nd (6.86). Cole Hamels and Brett Myers are both in the middle of the pack – in 88th and 115th places respectively – but their numbers are getting better each start.

Which raises the point: Two of the three in the bottom need to go. After watching the Phils gut through a four-game sweep of the Nationals, we’ve seen this one completely obvious marquee flash above our heads. Park has been wildly inconsistent. Moyer has been invisible. Blanton has been mediocre at best. We’ve called for these moves before, but now it seems clear that, likely, it’s Moyer and Park that should – and probably will – be shoved out of the rotation before June.

Who takes their place? Happ is easy. The second position will be a dogfight between Kyle Kendrick, Carlos Carrasco, Andrew Carpenter and a host of clear underdogs. I’d give the favorite to Kendrick, considering Carrasco still is having problems in triple-A, and at least Kendrick has had previous success in the majors.

But the bottom line is two have to go. No longer can the Phils carry – at best – three fifth starters.

Click to comment

1. CT

May 18, 2009 at 11:51 am

Are there any pitchers that they could/should trade for? Who’s available? I’d be willing to see a few prospects go for a serviceable #3-#4 starter.

2. Mike wish

May 18, 2009 at 11:56 am

If healthy maybe the Phils will join the Ben Sheets sweepstakes?

May 18, 2009 at 11:56 am

I agree, Tim. However, I still think Moyer has 2 more shots that could keep in him the rotation for longer than expected (against the Reds and then against the Marlins). If he can at least do pretty well against the Fish, he could hang in there till mid-late June or even July. But eventually, it looks like he’ll lose his spot sooner rather than later.

As for Park, he should go to the pen NOW. Put Happ in the rotation. The fact that they brought up Escalona (a lefty) shows that they’re very close to make this move… compensating for the eventual loss of a lefty (Happ) in the pen until JC Romero comes back.

4. CT

May 18, 2009 at 11:58 am

Sheets is kind of a gamble right now. No telling how well he’ll do after rehabbing. But he would be an interesting option. How much was he looking for from Texas?

5. Kevin

May 18, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I don’t see how you can bring Kendrick back in the rotation. Maybe he’ll give you a small level of success but he hasn’t exactly turned off the lights on batters at Lehigh. I still view him as a wild card at best.

I think Amaro should be thinking about replacing Park and/or Moyer, but perhaps the best bet would be to find someone on the market. Start scouting some teams that will be looking to sell at the deadline.

6. Albert

May 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm

If you replace Park and Moyer with Happ and Kendrick you will be subtracting two back end of the rotation guys with the addition of two back end of the rotation guys. I think Park needs to go right now, with Moyer hot on his tail.

7. Ben from NJ

May 18, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I agree that this kind of action needs to take place, but you know they aren’t going to do anything with Blanton or Moyer anytime soon. I’ll never understand for the life of me why they stick with guys that are completely underperforming. At least skip them in the rotation or something.

I also am curious if Dubee has any reasons why these guys are performing so poorly and pitch location without any reason behind it is not acceptable answer. There has to be a reason these guys are pitching this badly. I mean its the whole damn team, not just one or two guys. Dubee is a bum anyways and does nothing for these guys.

8. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Sheets will be signing with Texas. Hes from there, goes to all their games, and has been hanging out extensively with their pitching coach…forget about signing him.

9. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I agree, what leads you to beleive that Kendrick will be anything different this time when he HASNT developed his secondary pitches enough to dominate. It looks like Park might have one more shot left, but I do think theyre ready to make the move for Happ.

I think Moyer has one, maybe two shots left. The Reds are a good team this year, but theyre young though and I dont think hes going to fare well. Its all abotu what he can do against the Marlins (the ONLY team hes had a good showing against).

10. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Kendrick in 41 innings at AAA, has a 4.17 ERA.. has given up 43 HITS, 18 Walks, 28 Ks … his WHIP is a 1.49 so one and a half baserunners per inning, against AAA ballplayers..

I dont think that translates well to the Majors..

You can’t get much worse than what we’ve got right now.. but Blanton should be alright.. (it would be nice to add a #2 or #3 to the rotation, but Carrasco isn’t it right now)

Park should go to the pen.. .Happ should take his place

And we should all say prayers that Moyer can get out of this funk

11. Griffin

May 18, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Geoff is right about Sheets. The Rangers are all over him.

Happ in, Park out. That’s the obvious one.

As far as replacing Moyer or Blanton, I think the only in-house candidate should be Carrasco. He’s obviously not ready at this moment, but he has solid peripherals at AAA (44K in 41.1 innings) despite having a bad ERA (6.31).

Kendrick and Carpenter are not the answers. They are fringy control pitchers who don’t strike out hitters.

12. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm

holler

13. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 12:22 pm

But I dont see anyone other than Happ ready to step in right now. So if Moyer cant hold his place he has to be removed and theyd need to make a trade. Kendrick wont do any better than Moyer. Carrasco is getting hit. Drabek is too good to risk ruining because unlike Carrasco Drabek projects as a 1 or a 2. Carrasco projects as a 3 (despite his stuff hes had control and efficiency problems). and Worley/Stutes are a little farther away (but not much). Knapp projects high too but its way too early to bring him up.

If Moyer cant IMPROVE then theyd have to use some young arms in a trade.

14. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 12:27 pm

But this year they have that ammo to bring in that type of starter if they really need to.

15. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 12:27 pm

The problem is that Peavy or Halladay would cost you the entire farm to obtain.. so they aren’t coming here. .

Oswalt MAYBE.. but I doubt the Astros want to deal with us again.. AND.. Oswalt is definitely not the pitcher that he was 2-3 years ago

Im not sure what other guys are out there.. Cliff Lee (cy young winner in 2008.. but in 2007 was so bad he had to go to AAA .. like Myers did)

Their best bet is Carrasco figuring things out.. that may or may not happen

Whoever is the better of Moyer and Carrsco at the All-Star break will be in the rotation.. joining Hamels, Myers, Blanton, and Happ

16. Mark

May 18, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Kendrick is a horrible option right now. I liked the way Carpenter handled himself in his last big league outing, and first big league W.

Our once minor league studs (pitching wise) are duds for the time being.

17. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I dont want Peavy (some things about him scare me off), and Halladay is not available ebcause the Jays are in First Place. The Diamondbacks, Rockies, Mariners, A’s, perhaps White Sox, Indians, Pirates, Nationals, Padres & Orioles are going to be the teams that project to be potential sellers (because Houston refuses to be sellers). SO youve gotta find a starter from one of those teams who is a realistic get, who is under contract/control beyond this season, and who will be a solid 2-3 on this team (a rotation with 3 5’s right now).

18. Pat Gallen

May 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

There’s no way they get rid of Blanton or Moyer, not yet anyway. Moyer is locked up for another year, so they go the distance with him this year. If he still sucks going into next season, he could be gone and the Phils would eat his contract, a la Eaton.

Blanton, they cant give up on. They gave up 3 decent prospects in the trade with Oakland, so they either have to try and trade him and get something in return, or just deal with him until he shows up.

Park can go as far as I’m concerned. I thought he was better anyway out of the pen. Happ makes sense, but i’d like to see what Carpenter can do. They gave Kendrick the chance, so it couldnt hurt.

19. John Russo

May 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Park must go, Moyer will get better, Blanton will be lucky to stay on as the fifth.

The way I see it, Park has made it very clear to everyone with a brain that he is not a good starter. Now putting him in the bull pen would not be a bad idea at all.

Moyer is a veteran. He won’t be pitching like crap much longer. He feasts on young offenses. He also feeds off of the frustration he can bring in the earlier innings.

Now Blanton is lucky that Park is that much worse than him in my opinion. I think Blanton will continue to struggle but show glimpses of good starts, like a 5th starter usually does.

I can’t wait to see Happ pitch in Park’s place.

20. Luke

May 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm

IN: Haap, its his turn now to show us what he deserves.

OUT: Park – release him, cut our ties or trade him. Yes he has had 2 QS, and averages just over 5Ks a game, but still, he can’t keep a lead (esp to the nationals) and at 2.5 million, that’s nothing to worry about for the Phillies.

KEEP: Blanton – he’s a slow starter but should be alright.

SPOT STARTS or KEEP: Moyer – sentimental favorite, but he has the experience to help out. Just see last season and his guidance with Hamels and the rest of the young staff.

21. Craig

May 18, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Mistake giving Moyer a multi year contract in the off season?

Was this Gillick or Amaros decision?

Was the club swept along in the euphoria of the world series win?

I’d like to see Happ get a shot. He can’t be any worse than Moyer or Park.

22. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Nobody on the Pirates or Nats will help.. Padres need pitching more than anything..

I heard Buerhle from the White Sox..

Maybe Bedard from the Mariners? … is he in a walk year soon? (I think he once had a 5-year deal with Baltimore.. did he sign anything new with Seattle?)

Diamondbacks are in trouble.. I dont know that they want more prospects on an already young team though..

Rockies have no pitching to offer, neither do the Orioles..

THIS is exactly why teams DON’T trade their young arms, because its next to impossible to acquire it in a trade.. and you pay way too much money to Free Agent pitchers.. guys get paid just as much for being “Innings Eaters” as they do for winning ballgames, and low ERA’s now..

I’m a big believer in keeping our young guys in the system if at all possible.. maybe they won’t all be ready this year.. but maybe they are ALL ready next year..

you can’t trade these guys for anything less than a stud in return.. and it would take probably 3-4 of our best prospects to get the kind of arm that would make a difference..

23. Griffin

May 18, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Don M, you found the guy-Bedard. He’s a free agent after this season, so he’d only be a rental. The problem is that the AL West is so bad, that the Mariners might feel they still have a shot in that division.

24. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 12:54 pm

There is no way they would release Park.. he would go to the bullpen to be a “long-reliever”

They signed him thinking he would pitch out of the bullpen.. but the way the got him to sign here instead of somewhere else was by telling him he could try to win the 5th starter job in spring training..

And since he pitched better than Happ, Kendrick, and Carrasco.. he won the job and they had to give it to him (If they didn’t.. future free agents wouldn’t be able to believe the Phillies Front Office..)

25. Mike59

May 18, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Park and Moyer have to go. Blanton shows signs of getting it together. Get Happ in the rotation. They’ve had success trading for a 3/4 guy like Lohse/Blanton over the last two years. Try to go back to that well again. As far as who’s available, I think more names will come out as teams fade from contention.

26. Griffin

May 18, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Another issue with Oswalt is that the Astros’ delusional owner, Drayton McLane, always thinks his team is in contention and refuses to rebuild. When the Astros traded Lidge, they went out and traded prospects for Jose Valverde, so trading Lidge wasn’t a case of waving the white flag. The bottom line is, I doubt Oswalt will be available.

27. phil

May 18, 2009 at 12:57 pm

if i were amaro id be trying to find out the dbacks asking price for webb is since he is coming off of injury

28. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Mariners are now two under .500 at 18-20 (they’re 3-7 in their last 10 games)

I think they will SELL at the deadline…

Bedard was a guy the Phillies had lots of talks about before, so I’d expect his name comes up again..

Yankees and RedSox don’t need a ton of pitching help (Yankees just need better performance from who they have)

Mets might be in the mix for pitching.. Dodgers shouldn’t be.. Cubs, Cards ? Cardinals MIGHT be looking for more pitching..

anyway.. we can probably get an arm since the contending teams won’t be willing to give up much for what they can get in return

29. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Brandon Webb has the best sinker (arguably) in baseball.. he’d be great on this team.. but he’s the face of the Diamondbacks .. even though they are horrible this year, I can’t imagine they would trade him

30. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Oswalt isn’t the guy. why he won’t cost a lot in prospect, and he is better than moyer blanton and park. we are looking for a guy who keeps you in the game not cy young. If oswalt gives us 6 or 7 quality innings in most starts why not. People talk like he is terrible, remember he plays for the astros, not the world champs, the only thing so far that is a poitive is we arent’ getting any pitching and still. Half game back of the hottest team in basebasll. that bolds well for us. but must make a move.

31. Griffin

May 18, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I have a feeling that something is not right with Webb. He’s not this awful and his injuries could be worse than we think.

32. Mike

May 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I broke it first Timmy boy. Jamie Moyer is yanked out of the rotation. Car. coming up….boyyyyyyyyyy

33. Keith

May 18, 2009 at 1:10 pm

just replace Park with Happ and that’s it.

34. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Webb would have to prove health, and has cheap options years left but probably wants a new deal. Bedard is in the walk year. I agree that this is why you dont trade your young arms. I think that if youre giving up a few good prospects you have to get a guy whos under contract beyond this year AND who is a number 2 or a very good 3. Theres no way that its worth trading away probably 2 pf these good young arms (thats starters or relievers) unless youre getting studly talent in return taht isnt going to just waltz on out the door in december (and you better at least offer them arbitration if they do – to get the two draft picks).

Otherwise – I agree. Theres no reason to trade for another 4 or 5 type guy – that really wont do anything at all. I mean, Drew Carpenter can step in right now and be a 5 but he probably wont do much better than park or moyer and Happ is first in line anyway. I though Carpenter looked ok but needed to go back down and brush up on a few things. Still, he projects as a 5th starter who might get called back up if this problem doesnt go away once Happ steps in.

35. Havoc

May 18, 2009 at 1:12 pm

It hasn’t seemed to me that any of the three have really turned the corner. I’m fine with Happ and I think that would give us 3 acceptable starters, I’m not sure exactly what Kendrick has been doing in the minors but I’d be willing to gamble with him.

I think we might end up having to package a few guys and possibly Lou Marson. I just don’t want to see us gut the farm for anybody especially since we have a ton of talented guys working their way up.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that one of the three works out or that Carrassco figures out what his problems have been and starts shutting teams down.

36. ryan

May 18, 2009 at 1:12 pm

i disagree with the opinion. only one needs to go. Moyer and Blanton have a proven track record. give them a chance to right themselves. they can still be above average major league pitchers.

Chan Ho on the other hand has a ten year track record of awful pitching to go along with a bad mentality he brings to the clubhouse and the field. I wouldn’t even put him in the pen at this point, I’d rather designate him for assignment.

37. Geoff

May 18, 2009 at 1:16 pm

What I read about Webb is that they cant get an affordable insurance policy for WEbb because his injury is worse than is being let on. This is why they arent giving him a new contract. Thats why they traded for Dan Haren and locked him up to be their ace. Thats what I was reading at least. (MLBTR).

38. Dan

May 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Happ must take over for Park. Moyer on the other hand has earned a chance to figure it out, at least for a little longer. If he doesn’t, then there needs to be a Major League 2 situation, where we bring in a new guy, and Charlie tells Jamie “Sorry, we aren’t carrying six starters. We’d like you to stay on as a coach.”

39. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm

In his last nine starts oswalt pitched 6 innings in 8 of them and only once gave up more than 4 runs once, so as a four or five I’d take that. My offer for him is Donald and worley and a lower a prospect like galvis

40. Richie Allen

May 18, 2009 at 1:29 pm

All this speculation is great except for one thing…Its Charlie who has to pull the trigger on replacing these guys.And Charlie is slow to give up on anyone.
    How long will it be until he actually replaces a guy in the rotation?
    I think he will give Moyer and Blanton a lot more time.Park will be replaced by Happ.
    He’ll probably skip them in the rotation for a temporary guy rather than can them altogether.Thats just Charlie’s way.

41. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I think Galvis is also a SS.. which is bad for them.. and also bad for us to not have anyone in the farm to play SS in a few years

Oswalt isn’t a “4-or- 5” in anyone’s mind though.. you would have to give up prospects to obtain him as though he were an ACE, or a #2… and so you would need him to perform to that level..

They’ve got Wandy Rodriguez who is pitching NASTY this season, so maybe they would be willing to part ways with Oswalt-for-prospects.. but they would want Pitching in return..

42. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Charlie doesn’t control if they call up an extra pitcher, or tell him to put Happ in the rotation..

The General Manager tells him who goes where.. Charlie gets to use the day to day stuff.. but if they say they want Happ in the rotation.. or if they call up Carrasco .. Charlie isn’t going to go against them, he’d get fired

we NEED a solid outing from Moyer… sucks that Cinncy is a hitters park too though, but you need to go out and Win #250 tomrw

43. Keith

May 18, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Hamels is pitching tomorrow

44. Don M

May 18, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Wednesday* my bad… it sucks when they’re off

45. ll

May 18, 2009 at 1:52 pm

well you know they’re probably not going to get rid of moyer….as far as park, he should def. go to the bullpen..

Happ should be put in!! i dont know why they haven’t yet..but im hoping it will be sometime soon..i say if they pull moyer/blanton, then kendrick should start..i dont feel like carpenter would be that effective

46. Pat Gallen

May 18, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Oswalt is on downside of his career, may not have a ton left in the tank beyond maybe next year.

I am not so sold that Moyer will “get better.” “Get better” likely wont mean anything close to last years numbers, but I guess it couldnt get much worse.

47. Jeff of NoVa.

May 18, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I think Park is pen material, put Happ there.

Then you give Moyer 1 maybe 2 more starts, then you go with Kendrick or Worley. Carpenter showed he is not major league ready and Carrasco has been a mess in AAA with a 6.00 ERA. They could also maybe throw Stutes a shot too.

Moyer as earned the right for 1 or 2 more. If he was the only one having issues then I would be all for him being pulled, but I feel Park has not helped the rotation physically or mentally.

48. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I can’t imagine that the Astros would think that, unless they are blind. If they want young arms we have some in Stutes, Worley, bastardo, swimmer, a reliver, Savery [who I hate], De Fraus who shows a lot of promise so we have arms, no Drabek in any trade, but if we offer a pitcher or two plus donald or marson why not, The problem is most teams will wait for the deadline to try to get as much as possible.

49. Jeff of NoVa.

May 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Carrasco has been erratic as of lat but he pitched 5 or 6 the other day gave up 3 lost of course cause the Ironpigs couldn’t support him. He is 0-5 cause most of his starts have had no run support. In the bigs he will get run support and that will help with his confidence. That is why our AAA sucks we have guys pitching well and they get no support. Very demoralizing. Thats why Reading is a better place and why Worley looks like a viable option

50. Jeff of NoVa.

May 18, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I don’t want Oswalt, sorry no interest in a hired gun for 3 months. I like our minor prospects better. Mike not sure why you don’t like Savery. He is pitching well at AAA, he is just overlooked by Worley and Stutes dominanting performances. Savery will be a 4 or 5 starter maybe a long reliever. He is getting better.

51. Jeff of NoVa.

May 18, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I meant AA

52. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm

This just in Rudy Seanz signs with the angels, how bad are the angels, mets are targeting, Nick Johnson, Mark derosa, Audrey Huff to replace de gado.

53. Griffin

May 18, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Oswalt is signed through 2011 with 2012 club option. He’ll turn 32 later this summer.

54. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Jeff first of all he isn’t pitching well, Second he was drafted hoping he would get back his arm strengh, he is only at 86 -88 and his seconadary pitches are not good. Most who follow knew he was a risk and they were right, a lot of people who follow the minors, have said he might try to play a position,

55. ducth

May 18, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Trade moyer to the mariners!!!! They were somewhat interested in him over the winter. He is finished.

56. Georgie

May 18, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Well, isn’t this just a fine kettle of fish we’ve found ourselves in? I am SHOCKED that there’s a problem with the starting rotation. I’m also fibbing, since most of us knew some of these guys were questionable, at best. So what can they do now? I have no clue, but I really don’t think Moyer’s going anywhere soon, unless he asks for a demotion outright, which I don’t think he’ll do. He is still confident he can work this out, and Charlie will give him ample time to do so. Happ will replace Park soon, but other than that, I think these are your starters for a while.

57. Bill

May 18, 2009 at 3:28 pm

typical phillies fans huh…they just signed moyer to a pretty hefty two year contract, he is not leaving the rotation less than 2 months in coming off a 16-7 3.71 era season. c’mon, declaring in mid may ‘he has to go’ is just ridiculous.

Happ will replace Park and get the start next weekend in Yankee stadium.

you all need to relax a little bit, most of you would have run Charlie out of town long ago as well.

58. Bill

May 18, 2009 at 3:35 pm

something the phils should absolutely do is pitch Hamels/Myers every 5th day and spot the other guys in there…..until/unless they get on track of Happ shows he can be a solid starter. I like the move pitching Hamels tuesday on his regular rest and shifting moyer back one. get myers/hamels as many starts as you can using the off days until Blanton/Moyer get on track.

seriously though..20-16 with the majors worst rotation isn’t bad..especially when we saw how well Hamels/Myers/blanton/Moyer/Happ can put it together as they did down the stretch last season…these 5 going all season will not end with the phils having the worst SP era in the league.

59. Mark B.

May 18, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I agree with Tim wholeheartedly regarding Park. But Moyer brings with him the sentimental factor. Yes, he’s gotta go, but I feel badly. But I do remember back to when the Phils and Robin Roberts parted company late in Robert’s career. There was also talk of sentimentality. Anyone with any sensitivity has got to feel sentimental about what Moyer was for this team in 2008. But the Phils can’t allow themselves to be out of the picture in 2009 for staying with 2008’s sentimental favorite — Moyer.

Perhaps there is a job for him in the organization — like pitching coach!

60. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 4:52 pm

dcuth how about marlins he now lives in florida?

61. mick

May 18, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Moyer as the elder statesman on the staff and win leader last year will get many more starts to get squared away, Park on the other hand( and I have been a Park backer) can not toss up another stinker like his last start. It seems a couple of things go wrong and he tosses in the towel-Perhaps more of a head case than management was aware of. Happ has done a good job in the pen, but once Romero returns Happ starts and Park becomes the long guy . Blanton is young and the Phils know what he is capable of, so I think he is safe–Hope he is healthy however, because he has been off. The fact that Carpenter was the call-up says volumns about how far Kendrick has fallen

62. mikemike

May 18, 2009 at 5:42 pm

mick of all the post I have ever read this one made me real depressed. If the phillies think Blanton is a quality starter then we are in trouble he isn’t a fourth or fifth on my team. Look at his stuff. terrible I HOPE AND PRAY YOU ARE WRONG.

63. Kennedy

May 18, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I’d say Bastardo is the Minor Leaguer I’d expect to do the best right now, he has good control and relys a lot on his change, which usually translates well. Happ is ready to start, and Park judging by his history, could handle long relief. I’d switch Happ and Park now, then give Moyer and Blanton three more starts each. If one of them couldn’t throw 2 quality starts out of those 3, I’d offer him the choice of being designated or being sent down. I’d call up Bastardo to replace 1 possible send down, and Kendrick if I needed to replace both. The way Kendrick pitches, I’d expect him to have an ERA around 5 and go about 6 innings per start. Sadly, that would be much better than Moyer at this point, at least the bullpen wouldn’t get shot every 5 days.

64. Bill

May 18, 2009 at 6:58 pm

mikemike – blanton at 28 has a 4.36 lifetime era in 138 starts the majority of which are in the DH league…he isn’t even a 5th starter? I’ve been a die hard phillies fan since 1974 and I just love reading comments sections after an asinine blog post like this one….I suppose maor league quality starting pitchers are so easy to find, you just dump guys that have proven themselves 7 weeks into a season. good luck with that strategy…I am sure Houston bloggers wanted Lidge gone very badly too,,,thank goodness they did, gave us a World Series that…and I would be willing to bet this blog and comments section at the time lamented the trade and the loss of Michael Bourn.

65. B-money

May 18, 2009 at 9:52 pm

What about someone like Arroyo? or Dan Haren? Any possibilities?

66. TOm G

May 19, 2009 at 7:54 am

Simple…
    Moyer waived
    Park to bullpen
    Happ elevatted to rotation
    Carasco set as the 5th starter…jump start his career now…no use waiting…
    Blanton stays in rotation, for the short term…give him 3-5 more starts…if he fails bring up Carpenter or Kendrick…try to trade for PEAVY in the meantime…

67. Bill

May 19, 2009 at 12:10 pm

hey Tom G, you should be the GM…you’d run through the entire organization’s starters come September and we’d be left with the clearwater threshers rotation come september!

68. Bruce

May 19, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Bill, I appreciate your comments and you make the most sense to me. Staying in the moment and looking at the reality of a current situation from a manager and GM’s perspective is more preferable than creating a wish list of desirables TWO months before the non-waiver trade deadline (July 31st).

69. Bill

May 19, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Bruce, I believe the phils would/will pull the trigger on a frontline starter come July if they are able to make the deal work without destroying their system…big question is how much would one of those guys cost? eaton/myers both coming off the payroll which is 20+ million…myers wants to remain in philly and there is no way he is going to get on the open market anything close to the $12 million he is making this year…I would think a 3 year $20-$25 million deal would get it done with him…that would still leave potentially a spot for another starter(bedard/haren/oswalt/buehrle etc..) and still be in the eaton/myers ’09 salary ballpark for ’10.

peavy – the padres continue to want the moon and the stars for him…and with good reason.

right now it looks like the moyer signing was too sentimental..he will however get 20+ starts in ’09 though to prove he did not age himself out of the league over the winter.