The Dip: Brett Myers: The Return of the Native

This is The Dip, a weekly column penned by our own commenter, The Dipsy. Agree or disagree with what he says? Tell us by visiting our contact page.

Amongst all the hubbub surrounding the Cliff Lee acquisition, the Phils find themselves sitting on a potential treasure trove of arms to employ for the stretch run to the pennant (it used to be called “pennant”, I’m not sure what its called now). While J.P. Ricciardi cleans out his desk Saturday morning, victim of what l call a “Ruben Sandwich,” Charlie Manuel will be sitting in a locker room somewhere trying to think of a way to fit six, soon to be seven, and not long after that, eight (!) pitchers into his starting rotation. That eighth pitcher will almost assuredly be Brett Myers, showing up late to the party, but there nevertheless.

If things go as The Dipsy predicts (in honor of Ricky Henderson’s induction into the Hall of Fame, I am referring to myself in the third person), Happ will go to the bullpen (a shame), Lopez will be traded for a minimal return and Martinez and Moyer will be your No. 4 and 5 starters, not necessarily in that order. Easy enough, I guess, until Myers is done his rehab stints and shows up at Citizens Bank Park pronouncing himself cured and ready to pitch. And that talented right arm has to go someplace.

BrettIn 2008, Myers was one of the best starters in baseball after he came back from his electroshock therapy in Reading. He went long into games, moved his fastball in the zone, and his curveball bit and didn’t hang. In short, he was great, and the Phils would not have reached the World Series without him. The season prior, Myers was unexpectedly thrust into the role of closer and thrived with 21 saves while averaging more than 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings. The guy has shown he can close.

What happens when Myers returns will hinge on what happens with Martinez. If Martinez can’t hack it, Myers slides into his spot and Martinez goes to the pen. If Martinez is pitching reasonably well, he will serve as the righty starter to balance out the rotation, and Myers will pitch in relief. Then it becomes interesting. I would love to see the “Bridge to Lidge” include Myers flashing his old form and effectively holding things down anywhere from the sixth to eighth innings, with the switch over to J.C. Romero as needed, then right into Ryan Madson. Then Lidge in the 9th.

While all of this this sounds great In theory, it can’t work unless Lidge has it together. As of now he does not. And he has a history a “crisises in confidence.” If September comes with Myers pitching well and Lidge struggling, and we all hope that won’t happen, I would expect Manuel to dispense with the “I’ll stick with my horse” or “I’ll dance with girl that brung me” crap and make the switch to Myers. Playoff baseball is no place to wait for a guy to find his stuff. Myers runs to pressure. And he needs a contract next year. I think he’ll be primed. We want Brett Myers to pitch well. We all want Brad Lidge to pitch well. But most of all, we want the best guy on the mound to close games.

Click to comment

1. Rick in MA

July 31, 2009 at 9:54 am

I think it’s a long shot for Myers returning to the rotation this year at all. I don’t know that he has enough time for rehab. I think his rehab stint would have to be considerable in order to work up to pitching 6-9 innings. No?

I do love the thought of Myers being a backup to Lidge should he continue to not get “into a rhythm”. I think everyone’s patience with him is dwindling at this point.

I wonder if the Phillies will resign Myers in the off-season? Now that we’ve learned he was having problems with his hip for quite some time, he could come back and pitch really well next year. It seemed evident that he was having some physical problems when he lost so much velocity on his fastball over the past 2 seasons.

2. TwoTonsOfIrony

July 31, 2009 at 10:09 am

Myers cannot return to the rotation. Coming back this early he will not be able to pitch long innings. His only option is to come back to the pen and pitch in a setup role of some sort. There is no way that they would move Happ back to the pen for Myers, who while he can be great, is incredibly inconsistent. Do you want to wait around all September to see if he can get it together? Happ will stay, he has been the best pitcher on the staff for about 2 months now. I still think Moyer would be a great bullpen piece, talk about a change of speeds. Unfortunately that would have to be something that he suggests himself because I don’t think anyone is going to tell him to go to the pen.

July 31, 2009 at 10:10 am

I can’t wait for Myers to come back… This guy is a horse and we all know what he’s capable of… We have nothing to lose. If he sucks, oh well, let him continue his rehab… But if he’s lights out like in late 2008, then let the guy pitch!

4. Winks Tiddley

July 31, 2009 at 10:14 am

Myers will not be able to start. If he can play at all this year, I think he will be best served in the bullpen. He could even close if Lidge does not get his act together. Then again, how long will it take for Bret to get his act together. Hey, he may even be our future closer, with his mentality.

5. Havoc

July 31, 2009 at 10:23 am

Gotta agree with the consensus that Myers won’t have the arm strength to start, but he would be a huge help for the bullpen. I’m torn with having Happ in the bullpen, given how good he’s performed for us. However, he’s shown that he can do it, and it’s about fielding the best team right now. Pedro won’t have more than a start or two to prove himself and if he’s not getting it done you bring Happ back in. Unless Moyer turns things on the second half of this year our playoff rotation is Hamels, Lee, Blanton, Pedro/Happ. That’s not a rotation to complaign about.

6. beta sigma shag

July 31, 2009 at 10:28 am

So put the pipe down and realize Happ is in the rotation to stay. If they were going to put him back in the pen then he would have been in a trade for Halladay.
    If and that is a big IF Myers can come back and pitch this year in the majors he will be in the bull pen. He would not be able to go long into games with the short rehab he would need to make it back to the big leagues

7. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 10:30 am

Reportedly, Myers is throwing. No doubt, he will not be ready to start, even if he wanted to, until probably early-mid September. But I guess the issue is, will the Phils want him to do rehab starts, or just rehab innings. I would think he can work his arm back up in about 3 weeks to a month. But then again, I’m no doctor. Remember, there’s not a thing wrong with his arm. Does he have time to come back as a starter? I guess nobody knows. Better to throw as a starter and ratchet it down to relief than the other way around I would think.

The Dipsy

8. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 10:31 am

Myers will pitch. And I roll my own joints, thanks.

The Dipsy

9. Jeff of NoVa.

July 31, 2009 at 10:42 am

Well said Dipsy, one thing that we all can agree is that it is a tough dilemma, but a good one to have, all those arms

10. Rick in MA

July 31, 2009 at 10:44 am

I wonder if the Jays would have been interested in Myers at all?

July 31, 2009 at 10:45 am

“First off, how do you even put Pedro anywhere near this rotation after pitching 1.2 innings in the minors. No way Happ goes to the pen for Pedro, if anything Pedro might get a spot start, and when he can only go five innings and gets bombed the phillies will hand him his Million dollars and send him on his way, if he does not agree to go to the pen,
    So put the pipe down and realize Happ is in the rotation to stay.”

Agree with you beta, and I hope that that happens… Aren’t there any doubleheaders in August? Let Pedro pitch one of those… but I can’t see how they would let him pitch in the rotation without having pitched at least 3 or 4 games in the minors… For now, I’ll take some comfort in the words of the new god of baseball (Ruben Amaro Jr): “Happ? He’s a proven starter right now. Right now we’ve very pleased with how he’s pitched.” “

12. mookey

July 31, 2009 at 10:45 am

if Myers can get healthy enough to go balls out for 1 inning, I’d look to him to close before I would Lidge……

13. Rick in MA

July 31, 2009 at 10:46 am

I just realized that was a stupid question because he’s a free agent at the end of the year and he’s paid quite well this year. It wouldn’t make sense at all from the Jays perspective.

14. Rick in MA

July 31, 2009 at 10:50 am

Anybody think the Phils will re-sign Myers?

I doubt it with Moyer signed for another year.

15. Havoc

July 31, 2009 at 10:53 am

Myers would have to take a huge discount and he’d be probably in the bullpen. Someone will make Myers a better offer than the Phils will.

16. JohnnyBgood

July 31, 2009 at 10:53 am

Cliff Lee….uhhh….sloppy seconds nice …4.01 era… right around the philly starters …don’ think its gonna hold water but guess you’ll see….coming from Cleveland to Filthdelphia it might one step up on the food chain….but if ya think Hamels is liking it he doesn’t and I’ll bet he wants to re-due his contract at this writing …Moyers is gonna feel the Lee thing for sure as well Meyers….Lee pitches tonight …..and then ya got Pedro….there’s cancer treament for the dugout and locker room…..if ya didn’t get Halladay ….you got sloppy if he loses tonight what are you clowns gonna say oh…first outing ….the weather….something he ate…uniform is too tight….I’d say right now your best pitching is Blanton and Happ……oh thank heaven for Lidge and 7.11….hee hee hee…..

17. beta sigma shag

July 31, 2009 at 10:53 am

I never said Myers would not pitch, I said I would doubt he will be ready to start, and if you say comes true, are you really going to change you rotation in mid to late september. But I do respect a man who still rolls his own, I was refering to Pedro pitching in this rotation

18. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 10:54 am

Break time: Astro Travel Films present: “The Return of Psyco Myers” Halloween Music…………. Starring Brett Myers, Brade Lidge, Cholly “I couldn’t be any happier” Manuel, and nervous as hell Phillies Fans. Produced by”The Ghosts of ’93”. Sponsored by Stomach Ulcers Fred Sanford’s “Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you” bit. Lidge: Lock up tight he’s coming for you. Insert T-Mac’s Dracula like laugh…. A little more Halloween music…..

19. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 10:56 am

You have to be pleased with Happ and I think that they’ll let him pitch as long as he continues to do what he has done but he has already logged 100 innings… at some point, you have to wonder if that’s going to catch up with him. I don’t know if it will but it’s reasonable for them to want to be prepared to address that. He’s still a young pitcher… you have to be careful.

I don’t know why any fan would want to seee Pedro do poorly… why would you assume that he’s going to get bombed and only go five innings??? Put your guard down… let it happen. Why root against guys on your team? Just so you can say, “I told you so.” That sounds absurd, to me. As long as the guys on this 5 man rotation are getting it done, they’re going to remain on this 5 man rotation… Pedro’s probably a long way away from replacing anyone at this point but if he gets a start, don’t write him off.

20. Havoc

July 31, 2009 at 10:58 am

First off Johnny Lee’s era is 3.14 in the american league. Maybe you should do some research since you quoted his career era not current. His Career is a little inflated given one mad injury racked year.

Not sure what team you’re pulling for, but I can tell you this. No matter who you are in the National League you are afraid of the Phils new rotation.

21. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 10:58 am

That’a boy Johnny. You tell’em. By the way. I’m meeting you wife for coc-k-tails after work. But I promise I’ll have her home to you by Sunday nite.

22. Brian of CO

July 31, 2009 at 11:06 am

JohnnyBgood, “sloppy seconds” You make it sound like Cliff Lee sucks? Is it really possible to that Halladay is really THAT much better than Lee to say sloppy seconds? Also might want to check you stats there. Lee’s ERA is 3.14 NOT 4.01. Also since 2007, his ERA and win W’L is MUCH BETTER after the All Star Break, then before (around 2.69 and 21-4 or soemthing similar). So welcome to this thing called baseball, and get your stats correct before trying to be an analyst.

23. Havoc

July 31, 2009 at 11:07 am

Highfive Brian nice to see someone else right ontop of the stat corrections.

24. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 11:08 am

Just in case anyone did not know Pedro Martinez starts for the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs tonight at Coca Cola Park against the Columbus Clippers who will start former Iron Pigs Lou Marson and Jason Donald.

Oh did I forget to mention the pitching matchup is Pedro vs Carlos Carrasco.

So the former member of the Phillies organization takes on Pedro. Well thats a nice matchup.

25. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 11:08 am

If Myers wants to start, there’s no way that he re-signs with the Phils… I think that he can still start. He might have to take a one-year deal somewhere but he could help a team looking for a solid #3/4. If he wants to be a reliever, there might be a place for him here but he’ll have to accept a discount. He won’t be starting here, that’s for sure… there is already a logjam with this rotation in 2010; we’ll have Hamels, Lee, Blanton, Happ, Moyer and potentially Drabek… that’s not including Bastardo, Carpenter, Kendrick or any other minor leaguers that might be able to vie for a roster spot.

26. Brian of CO

July 31, 2009 at 11:12 am

I checked some other stats out for you Johnny, Lee has givin up 10 homers with 107 SO and 33 walks in 152 innings. Happ in 106 innings has given up 12 homers, Hamels in 118 IP has givin up 18 Homers, and Halladay in 148 Homers has givin up 11 homers. See these are these things called stats, or statistics. Is Halladay better than Lee, probably a little better, but is Lee “sloppy seconds” no.

27. Groty

July 31, 2009 at 11:13 am

Myers and Charlie have already said he’s in the pen. There is no way for him to build up to throwing as a starter.

28. Brian of CO

July 31, 2009 at 11:17 am

The Original Chuck P, I think its a little early to really say that Myers wont sign here if he wants to start. If I remember correctly, Lee’s contract is up this year, we only have him on the current contract for the remainder of this season. Also though Moyer signed a 2 year deal, will he actually return to play next season or retire? Will Happ continue on his current tear? So if I am correct about Lee for his contract, we may NOT have him in 2010, thats one gone, but lets not forget about the other possibilities. Im not saying you are wrong, but I am thinking it way to early to say that seeing how good Myers has been for us. Cholly is loyal to his players, and Myers is one of them.

29. Brian of CO

July 31, 2009 at 11:18 am

For this season I agree groty, but what about next season. I think its tough to say he wont stay.

30. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 11:22 am

I think we have forgotten that both the Phillies and Jays are staying at the same hotel this weekend. Phillies are closet to the Jay’s brass than any other MLB team. So if anybody makes a last push for Doc it’s the Phils.

31. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 11:26 am

Brian- Lee is a free agent after next season… $8 million club option for 2010, which the Phillies will surely pick up unless something goes drastically wrong.

32. Brian of CO

July 31, 2009 at 11:31 am

Chuck P, My bad, your right, my bad, sorry. I think the other questions still remain.

33. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 11:38 am

I just find it hard to believe that this team would re-sign Myers to any deal that he (and his agent) would agree to knowing that their top 4 starters are pretty much set in stone; Hamels, Lee, Blanton and Happ. How much are the Phillies going to be willing to pay for a 5th starter? Nowhere near the $12 million that he is making now (to sit on the DL)… that’s for sure…

It reminds me the Pat Burrell situation; thanks for the memories… certainly nothing personal… it’s a business decision.

34. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 11:40 am

Detroit Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn from Mariners for Luke French and another prospect according to ESPN Radio.

35. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 11:42 am

Detroit Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn from Mariners for Luke French and Mauricio Robles according to ESPN Radio.

36. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 11:46 am

Terrence – that move makes me like the Lee move even more… French was doing good things in the big leagues. He’s not a prospect… he’s MLB ready talent. Washburn has not shown the consistency of Cliff Lee and he’s a free agent after this season.

37. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 11:47 am

There could be a 3 way deal between Indians, Red Sox and another team which would send Victor Martinez to the Red Sox.

Marlins no longer in pursuit of Heath Bell. For them its Nick Johnson or nothing.

Red Sox still remain in Martinez, Adrian Gonzalez and Roy Halladay.

Rangers came closer than the Phils to acquire the Doc but talks have broken off. Still someone could come last minuted to acquired doc like last year lad acquired manny last minute before deadline. Still looking like no one. Phils could make a offer because both teams staying in same hotel today and ruben could meet face to face.

Angels are in the lead to get Heath bell.

38. Loy

July 31, 2009 at 11:54 am

From David Cohen of Good Phight (obiviously a joke)

The Cliff Lee Effect: The Phillies Are Falling Apart

Widely hailed as a coup for Ruben Amaro, it appears that the Cliff Lee trade is not having the effect anyone expected it to have. There are creeping concerns that the Phillies have gotten complacent now that they have the 2009 Cy Young Award winner on their roster. And, there’s good reason for these concerns. Just check out the statistics:

Win percentage: Before the Cliff Lee trade, the Phillies had a win percentage of almost .600 (.592 to be exact). Since the trade, the Phillies are on a historic pace to win 0 more games the rest of the season, as their win percentage is .000. That’s worse than the Nationals!

Runs scored: Before the Cliff Lee trade, the Phillies led the NL in runs scored with 537. In fact, only two other teams in the league that uses the DH had scored more runs than the Phillies. The Phils were averaging a torrid 5.5 runs per game. But now, since the Cliff Lee trade, the team is averaging only 1 run per game. And since the trade, they’ve been outscored by every team in baseball other than the Pirates, Rays, and Blue Jays — all teams that have played half the games the Phillies have!

RS/RA percentage: Before the Cliff Lee trade, the Phillies had the best run differential in all of baseball at +83. They scored 18% more runs than their opponents. However, since Lee became a Phillie, the Phillies have been decimated by their opponents. Opposing teams have scored 450% more runs than the Phillies have. It’s as if the pitching staff was made up of all Adam Eatons and the hitters were all Endy Chavez.

Runs against: Cliff Lee was supposed to help the pitching. Yet, he’s done just the opposite. Before the trade, the Phillies were giving up 4.6 runs per game, comfortably in the middle of the pack in the majors. But, since the trade, they’ve given up almost a run more per game, at 5.5. Giving up runs like this will completely neutralize the Phillies’ greatest asset, their offense, which scores just a hair under 5.5 runs per game. In fact, if the Phillies are giving up 5.5 and scoring just under 5.5, there’s no chance of winning another game all season.

Cliff Lee seems like a nice guy. He had a great year last year and was doing more of the same this year. However, since his trade, he has completely destroyed the once proud 2009 Philadelphia Phillies.

With the non-waiver trading deadline still yet to pass, thank goodness we still have time to trade him away.

If you’re not worried about what Lee has done to this team, you’re really turning a blind eye to a glaring problem. I mean, just look at the math. They’re giving up 5.5 runs per game but scoring just about 5.45 (or just 1.0 now!). That means ZERO wins from here on out. Are you willing to live with that?!?!?!

They’re scoring 1.0 runs per game since they got Lee! That’s not sustainable! I just can’t believe the negative impact he’s having on Howard, Ibanez, Rollins, Werth, and Utley. The man is a pariah in the dugout, obviously!!!

39. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 11:55 am

Lee is a Type A (if Lee walks, Phils get acquiring team’s first round pick and supplemental pick)
    Washburn is a Type B (supplemental pick only)

40. beta sigma shag

July 31, 2009 at 11:58 am

I would think Moyer might re think his second year of this deal, retire and get paid really well as a pitching coach, or advisor, I would not be surprised if they sign Myers if he proves he will be able to start next year, and if Moyer retires, your rotation would be Hamels-Myers-Lee-Blanton-Happ. That order just to split up the three lefties, and cause I like the L-R-L-R-L it just looks so nice. I do think Myers would have to sign a one year deal for less than what Lee is making, and I think he might, But if things do not fall in place I would have to agree with the orignail Chuck and say thaks Brett we will always remember you for 2008, good luck, and no bad feelings

41. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 12:03 pm

wow, its only been two games and david cohen is already saying its hurting the team. Everybody goes in a slump once in a while and not to mention they have played 13 consecutive games and have played 15 games in 16 days since the ASG. Luckily monday is a day off.

42. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Why can’t the Phils sign Doc? Would the move threaten our status with the United Nations or something? If we win the WS this year Lee/Doc trade value gpes way up. We trade one of them for in the off season for a couple solid but obviously not studly prospects unless there’s a sucka. The New York Mets?

43. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I know everyone says the Mets farm stinks. But there has to be at least a couple of good ones.

44. Dhall

July 31, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Counting on Myers to help is ridiculous. “Patience wearing thin with Lidge?” That’s an understatment. I have no faith in the guy right now. Romero is wild, Durbin is hurt and Madson can’t close games. If Lidge doesn’t get straightened out and Myers is not ready, who will close games for the Phillies? The Phillies should have traded for a reliever with closer experience. They missed the boat and it very well may cost them another title. The Dodgers traded for Sherrill this week. Sorry, but our bullpen is not nearly as good as LA’s.

45. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Dhall: All true. That guys a Lefty too. BUt it ain’t 4:01est yet. Doc/Lee/Hamels/Blanton makes us feel a whole lot better. T-minus… RA. Get Doc and shock the Free World!

46. Delaware Jim

July 31, 2009 at 12:27 pm

We should just use Myers as a pinch hitter whenever we need a clutch walk.

47. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Swing for the fences RA. Like you left #$%! depended on it.

48. John Kruk

July 31, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Dude you couldn’t find a better analogy than that one….

49. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 12:36 pm

It’s not going to happen, Repeat but we can dream… and dream I will…

Let’s assume that the owners are happy and unwilling to spend anymore cash… we could still make a run at Halladay if we could somehow unload Myers’ money and maybe there is someone out there willing to take Myers’ contract (since he’s a free agent after this season; they would have to have a contract that they would want to trade). It might have to be a three way deal… Bottom line: if we were OK with taking on Halladay’s contract, we can afford to take add at least another $8 million in salary (that is the difference between Lee/Francisco contract and Halladay’s). So if you want to add Halladay, you’ll probably have to unload $7-8 million. If we add Halladay, we’ll certainly have to get rid of a starter… can’t have a 7 man rotation.

Send Myers and a couple of prospects (one low level and one mid tier) to a losing team for a reliever/bench bat (someone making $4-5 million per year… someone who is not cheap to them but not really helping a losing club) and cash… make Toronto send them the cash (principle). Then you send Happ, Taylor or Brown and a filler or two for Halladay. Take it or leave it… you lost your chance on Drabek, you lost your chance on a fourth prospect but you can still get Happ and Brown.

Lee, Halladay, Hamels, Blanton and a one-armed circus clown could probably win us a World Series.

50. Don M

July 31, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Not sure if this is new News, or old News .. but the Detroit Tigers traded for Jarrod Washburn

Giving them a nice staff along with Verlander, Edwin Jackson, Armando Gallaraga, and Rick Porcello … they could be dangerous…

51. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I would love to see the Phils get Halladay. The funny part is we still have what it takes to get him. I just can not believe the Jays will sit and rot with Halladay. They should have taken the players we sent for Lee for Halladay. I guess the Jays are holding their breath that someone swoops in at the last minute with a deal. Well, I’ll try to put a deal together here. Take Happ. Take Taylor. And we’ll throw in Galvis. Happ, Taylor, and Galvis. What would they take at 3:59 if Ricciari has actually been told, more or less, to move Halladay. If he would make this deal, he would probably just delay his firing to the off season as opposed to tomorrow.

The Dipsy

The Dispy

52. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Give em 5 million, too

The Dipsy

53. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Look at the Dipsy just snowing Rube’s money… ok, I see you.

54. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Make it rain, Rube. Make it rain.

The Dipsy

55. Andrew

July 31, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Happ with another good start 2 days ago. Moving him out of the rotation is a nice way to irritate fans and make a franchise look stupid.
    if he isnt going to be in the rotation anymore why wouldnt you let him be in the original Halladay trade? I dont see him missing a start.

56. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Yeah, the numbers don’t quite add up. I know. But the Phillies front office have been such cheap bastards over the years. And with all the hard earned money we’ve been pumping into the Phillies treasure chest; I feel like they kinda owe us this for all the decades of pain and suffering. I worked at the Vet in college and after the strike that place was a ghost town. One time I dared myself to walk into the Phillies Clubhouse before batting practice just to see how close I could get. I opened the door up about 6 inches and then I ran like a school girl. Ah, the memories of losing Phils teams past…

57. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 1:17 pm

So, I guess Martinez goes right to the pen? Do not pass “go”? Do not collect $200? Thats stupid. Moyer to the pen? I’d love to see it, “situational lefty”, blah blah. Not gonna happen. He’s never relieved. Happ has, has proved he can do it, and its only for half a season, if he even stays there. Martinez bombs and he comes right back. And I’m sure Happ was not holding up the Halladay trade. Cmon man.

The Dipsy

58. Pat Gallen

July 31, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Consider me a skeptic with Myers coming back anytime soon. I know he’s throwing, but can he really get that torn labrum back to full strength that quickly? Must be using the clear or the cream. Jokes.

But seriously, the bullpen could use him, but the rotation does not need Myers right now. And as for Pedro, the guy has to pitch 2 or 3 more times in triple-A before he should be allowed to even sniff the majors. My trust factor there is low as well.

59. Bruce

July 31, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Dipsy, shame on you for fanning the hopes of a few daydreamers who are in a state of denial and refuse to believe the Phillies are NO longer interested in Halliday. (chuckles)

60. Ben

July 31, 2009 at 1:22 pm

the vet post strike was a sight to be seen. i remember going and there would be a couple thousand (as in 2,000) in the upper bowl, and about half of the bottom bowl was filled. there would be, literally, no one in the outfield upper bowl.

the only time i wished we didn’t have a new stadium was in the playoffs. how cool would it be to have 65,000 people in there, just going nuts.

61. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Pat, I think Pedro had kept himself together even before the Phils signed him. I figure he knew he was gonna pitch for someone. Its true that there is no urgency to get him up here quickly. Maybe he’ll totally suck at AAA, then he’ll never come up. I hope these aren’t just “rehab” starts. These should be, IMO, “got anything left, old man?” starts.

The Dipsy

62. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Brett’s in a contract year. He’ll do everything he can to get back. But as Pat said dreaming of him to replace Lidge is fanatsy at best for now. You can’t keep moving Happ back and forth. Isn’t that what got Myers in trouble? But if the Phils pull a surprise and get a John Garland like righthander without losing Happ. Then I could see it happening. I think Scott Eyre and Romero will be fine Lidge is the scary one of course. Ra could still get Rlv Pitcher by 4pmthough.

63. Don M

July 31, 2009 at 1:29 pm

The upperdeck OF seats were the absoulte worst view ever..

64. Andrew

July 31, 2009 at 1:29 pm

We dont even know if pedro can get anyone out.
    Like I said if happ is moved out of the rotation and things dont work out perfectly the Phillies will look horrible. I know alot of people who will be pissed off. I would bet that Happ doesnt miss a turn in the rotation. i know my buddies would be pissed. I understand your theories Dipsy and see what your saying. But the average fan who isnt as informed will not and will be pissed off moving your seasons best starter to the pen.

65. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Dipsy-aren’t the yankees last minute swoopers? Let’s hope at the very least Halladay stays with the Jays. If he goes to a team were likely to see in the off season, chances are were done. Halladay is two pitchers that hurt our line-up all rolled into: sinker (best in the league) and 3 off speed gems….we couldn’t even handle an off speed scrub like Petit…sure we hadn’t seen him before, but i don’t think we have seen Halladay except for Ibanez. Who the hell is Galvis? I mean, second coming of Christ prospect….I still wouldn’t care, this is a once in a lifetime chance.

66. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 1:47 pm

My shift there was 5am-2pm sweeping up the wet peanut shells that remained after the water hose swept the large chunks of trask to the end of the isles. Picture being at the top of the Vet right b4 dawn with an old school broom that weighed 5-6lbs and a dust pan that was holding on for dear life with cracks in it. Then picture trying to sweep up those shells who were holding on for dear life to the wet concrete because of the suction. I loved it. Got to go in the Dug out and the pen. And I got to reinact Tug’s last strike while standing on the mound at about 4:45 in the morning. Coolest job I ever had.

67. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Andrew, I hear ya but I don’t think the Phillies give a damn what the average fan thinks in this regard. Happ is like a utilty knife right now. He can start and relieve. Besides, I don’t think there would be a PR backlash if Ruben decided to put a 3 time Cy Young winner, Hall of Famer in for The Rook. Take one for the team J.A. And also, those initials have to go. Reverse them and be A.J. Or just be “Jay”.

Ther Dipsy

68. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Repeat!- John Garland is also a groundball pitcher. Two things that make me feel alot better than a rotation of 3 lefty fly ball pitcher (includes Happ not Moyer) in a hitters park. Check Lee’s stats and you will see that the Indians did well to jostle their rotation around to keep Lee out of hitters parks…Progressive field is ranked 6th among pitchers parks and look at how many innings he pitched there throughout his career relative a hitters parks…don’t look at his career stats at Ameriquest Field unless you want nightmares…We might not see it this year since batters still have to adjust to him…but next year might be a different story…alot of souveniers at home games.

69. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 2:03 pm

j reed, John Garland would be a sneaky yet intelligent move by RA. Lefty line up to go along with lefty rotation looks kinda cartoonish.

July 31, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Wow Dipsy, what a douchey comment….

By the way, I’ll be one of the MANY fans that will be part of that PR backlash you’re referring to if J.A. Happ –our best starter– gets bumped to the pen… again! I could care less if he’s a rookie or a 50 year old veteran, because he’s simply our best starting pitcher this year.

71. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I wouldn’t say facing a team with the Doc in a postseason series spells doom. Wouldn’t be very fun, but certainly not a death sentence. The Phillies hitters are they’re own worst enemy. When patient, can score against just about any top righty. Haren, Beckett, AJ Burnett just to name a few.

72. Don M

July 31, 2009 at 2:13 pm

If they want to bump JA while Durbin, Romero, etc.. are on the DL .. and Happ would be there in-case .. yea, I’d rather have him going into a game over Kendrick or whoever

BUT.. If Happ is the better pitcher.. there is no reason that you would move him out of the more important role, because he is ALSO better at the bullpen role than Moyer would be.

Lets see if Pedro can get some hitters out before we flip out regarding Happ and the bullpen

73. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Just call him J…

That’s a cool job, Repeat…

If Myers comes back (that’s a big IF… IF Myers is able to be effective), it will be in the pen. Moyer is going to start… at least until we get to postseason play. Martinez has a lot to prove before he becomes a starter… I think that they’ll spot him in the pen until he is ready or until we need him (which ever happens last). Happ is going to continue to start as long as he keeps throwing 6-7 innings and 2-3 runs… regardless of what Martinez does but I have a feeling that they’ll look to Pedro as soon as Happ shows any signs of cracking.

74. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Pedro and his mini-fro with that white head band. Too funny. Let’s hope his tank’s not on empty.

75. Georgie

July 31, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Pedro looks like Richard Simmons gone crazy with the spray tan…

76. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Chuck. Wanna hear something crazy? In 2006 I went to a job fair at Shea Stadium for a” career in sports expo.” There were reps from all over the Arena Football league, MLB, and MLB teams. I once turned down a job to work for the Philadelphia Soul. No really I did. The pay sucked and I got a better offer to work at a homeless shelter. Anyway, at the fair which as a sham because the reg fee was $40 and came with a ticket to the game that nite. Mets vs Cards and ticket price on stub was $40. I walked up to a Mets rep and handed him by resume. I knewI had no shot,but I was bored and curious. The rep looked at my resume and chuckled. “So you’re from Philly huh.” Yes sir I said. He paused. I said Mets are having a great yr. Thanks he said. I said Phils/Mets NLCS sure would be exciting. He said “We won’t have to worry about the Phillies for a long time.” I was speechless and walked away. I went to the game Mets won 10-2 or something like that. Karma Mr. Met Rep……… Karma…..

77. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Red Sox to acquire Victor Martinez… no mention of a third team.

If they don’t move someone, I wonder where Martinez slots in… it’s hard to fathom but it seems like Varitek’s days may be numbered.

78. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Manny – “douchey” – I like that. I want you to know that I want J.A. to stay in the rotation. He’s been great. But Pedro IS coming. If Ruben sits him down and tells him that our starting ptching has stabilized since his signing and we need him in the pen and he’s fine with it…GREAT! Put Pedro in the effin pen. But if he’s gonna throw a snit…uh…. And guess what? If he is going to throw a snit, maybe he shouldn’t be on the team anyway. I’m just trying to deal with the reality of having Pedro and Happ and Moyer available for two spots. Plus, three lefties in the pen, one who can throw to righties, too (Happ) would be awesome.

The Dipsy

79. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 2:53 pm

That’s not a bad story, either… Karma at its best. That wasn’t too long ago… as a whole, the Mets fan base reeked of pomposity. Talk about a miscalculation… those guys thought that the Mets were head and shoulders above everyone else. They could almost taste the trophy in their Italian Hoagie smelling hands. The Mets might be better than their record indicates but they’re certainly not the team that their fans once thought they were.

80. bob

July 31, 2009 at 2:54 pm

WOW all this hype and barring a very last min change, Roy Halladay is staying in Toronto. He’s gotta be PISSED! And I couldn’t blame him.

Your WFC’s of the 2009 trade deadline (in the words of Dan Baker): “YOUR 200 and 9 PHILLLLLLLLADELPHIA PHILLIES!”

81. Phils Rule

July 31, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Is Myers in Clearwater now rehabbing? Any idea how long he will be there? Will be in Clearwater in a couple weeks and looking to see him rehab.

July 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Dipsy: Would you agree with me in that if Pedro can’t put up solid outings at LV, then he should be released? And by solid outings I mean: an average of 6 IP, 2-3 ER…

Everyone in our starting rotation can do that (or better) right now. I hate to see how we’re all thinking how to mold the Phillies to fit Pedro, rather than mold Pedro to fit the Phillies.

83. The Dipsy

July 31, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Manny – If that happened, I would probably tell him that we’re gonna give ya a couple shots outta the pen and see how ya do. If he even frowns or twitches his face at the idea, I’d release him. Hey, he’s already paid, right?

The Dipsy

84. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Chuck P. -first base i suppose…no way they take Varitek out for the post season. i remember that rotation when Varitek went down a few years ago….not pretty to say the least. I say he pinch hits unless Lowell post op hip pain is worse than it is and they plan to move Youk to third and v-mart to first. once their batting cold spell passes the Sox will be that much more troublesome

85. Dave

July 31, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Look, currently, Happ is one of our best pitchers. You want to put your best pitchers in the most important spots, which would be
    1) the starting rotation 2) closer 3) setup man/men.
    Now, moving Happ to the bullpen? Maybe, under other circumstances. But he’s not going to play an important role there. He’ll be the 2nd long inning reliever behind Park. When he was in the bullpen they barely used him.

Let’s put it this way. Would you trade a good starter for a below-average one and a marginal bullpen arm? Because that’s what you’re doing if you put Happ in the pen for Moyer (and that’s assuming Moyer can’t be the 2nd long inning guy, which I really do doubt. Happ wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire as a bullpen arm).

July 31, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Sounds good to me…

July 31, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Well put, Dave

88. The Original Chuck P

July 31, 2009 at 3:21 pm

j reed… I think that Martinez can be a pinch hitter/spot starter for Lowell/Youk and Tek for a while but how can you not start him in the playoffs? V-Mart has been on fire this year; hitting .284 with 15 HR and 67 RBI for a brutal Cleveland team. Varitek – .238, 14 HR, 44 RBI. ‘Tek has good power numbers and he’s a good receiver but that’s about it.

89. bob

July 31, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Rotation should be:

Lee-Hamels-Blanton-Happ-Moyer/Martinez (u can give Jamie a start or 2 off here and there). They brought in Pedro to help the starters.

Happ doesn’t deserve to be taken out of the rotation, but he may very well be. Cant see them throwing Jamie in the pen and can’t see them eating 10 mil (I beleve) between the end of this year and next.

Then you are looking at Lee-Hamels-Blanton-Moyer-Martinez. That doesn’t look too bad either if Moyer keep pitching well and Pedro can be a 6 IP 2-3 run pitcher. BIG IF!

Either way, a nice problem to have.

90. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 3:59 pm

July 31, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Drabek not DREBECK!

92. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 4:07 pm

93. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 4:18 pm

ChucK P. -oh i think V-Mart will start, definitely but not behind the plate. …i think V-mart’s defense improved some but was considered the worst defensive catcher in MLB just two years ago and he can’t call a game like Varitek…Not only that Varitek is the captain of the team. Also V-Mart would have to learn to catch all those pitchers in a month….No, maybe in the off season v-mart will replace him but last thing Francona wants in his club house is a rotation of pissed of starters going down the stretch.

94. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Chuck P. – So what did they give up for V-Mart?

95. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Around the Majors today:

– Dodgers acquire Vinny Rottino from Brewers for Claudio Vargas

– Twins acquire Orlando Cabrera from Athlectics for Tyler Ladendorf

– Red Sox acquire Victor Martinez from Indians for Bryan Price, Justin Masterson and Nick Hagadone

– Blue Jays acquire Sean Smith from Pirates for future considerations

– Yankees acquire Jerry Hairston Jr. from Reds for Chase Weems

– Rockies acquire Joe Beimel from Nationals for two minor leaguers

– Red Sox acquire Casey Kotchman from Braves for Adam LaRoche

– Marlins acquire Nick Johnson from Nationals for Aaron Thompson and cash

– Reds acquire Scott Rolen from Blue Jays for Edwin Encarcion and a minor leaguer.

Opinion: Well the trade deadline is over but still there will be alot of more of moves made with the waiver wire deals in August. And remember phils have acquired Matt Stairs and Jamie Moyer in August. The Red Sox are gonna have to do something with Varitek because Victor Martinez isn’t a guy who you sit. He could be moved in August because he is a free agent at the end of the year.

96. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 4:28 pm

From MLBTradeRumors:

Jake Peavy Dealt To White Sox Again

Not sure what to make of this, but SI’s Jon Heyman tweeted that Padres pitcher Jake Peavy was dealt to the White Sox again. Heyman is not sure if Peavy OK’d it. He says the Padres get minor leaguers. Peavy is currently recovered from a torn ankle tendon.

Also Roy Halladay didn’t get traded so J.P was just all words no action.

97. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Early Winners and Losers from me

Red Sox: Got Martinez without trading any top prospect and kept Clay Buchholz. Also got Kotchman for LaRoche who they traded earlier for. Not to mention added depth with Chris Duncan.

Phillies: Total Robbery from Indians to get Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco

Twins: Needed a middle INF and they got a solid one in Cabrera.

Marlins: Couldn’t get the bullpen help but still got a nice productive bat in Johnson and they don’t have to pay his contract as the Nats are doing it.

Orioles: They got a real nice young guy Josh Bell to replace Mora in the future and a solid pitcher in Steve Johnson. Sherrill was 32 anyways so he wouldn’t fit in O’s future.

Tigers: Basically stole Washburn from M’s. With Verlander, Jackson and Washburn they could be tough to score on in the postseason.

Cardinals: Holliday, Lugo – Both have been fantastic since coming over

Giants: Sanchez and Garko very two good solid bats
    Rays: Were involved in Martinez, Lee, Bell and Gonzalez. In the end they got nothing while the two teams ahead of the Rays did acquire depth. Because of this Rays might suffer.

Angels: Basically they were involved everywhere from Halladay to Bell. They didn’t do anything.

Blue Jays: Roy Halladay stays with team and jays will have to suffer for this because they won’t get much leverage as they were now. J.P is on the very very hot seat. They trade a defensive gem in Rolen to loosen up money and they acquire Encarcion. Also got Sean Smith

Indians: Got robbed by the Phillies.

Pirates: Wilson, Sanchez, LaRoche you name it everyone is gone. Who duke might be on waivers the way pirates are going.

Dodgers: Didn’t get a starter. Got one bullpen arm who will only share with broxton not to mention gave up two solid guys. this could hurt dodgers. they should have atleast gotten more than 1 bullpen guy. their bullpen is gonna suffer

braves: get laroche but they needed something else to push them to chase for the wild card.

98. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Breaking News:

White Sox acquire Jake Peavy from Padres for Aaron Poreda, Adam Russell, Dexter Carter and Clayton Richard. Peavy approved the deal

Rolen deal is complete.

Reds acquire Scott Rolen from Reds for Edwin Encarcion, Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart.

Peavy Deal Opinion: Well since the Tigers and Twins made moves the White Sox also had to. This makes White Sox a winner but not a big fan of Peavy. His numbers were a little absurd pitching at Petco Park. He is also coming off injury and will need time to rehab not to mention he is owed alot of money. Peavy is owed $56MM through 2012, or $74MM through 2013 if the Sox exercise his option.

99. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Sorry it should be Reds acquire Scott Rolen from Blue Jays for Edwin Encarcion, Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart.

100. Dave

July 31, 2009 at 4:51 pm

It’s been crazy seeing this many trades go down at the wire. I’m just happy most of this is happening in the AL so it’s not really affecting the Phillies until a possible World Series. I still think we need a utility infielder to replace Bruntlett, but what do I know. I’m happy with getting Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco, hopefully they put us over the top, although the way we have played lately I don’t know what to think.

101. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 4:52 pm

terrence- is that nick johnson of Nats. to the Marlins?…And does this mean Halladay is with the Jays for the rest of this season…no way for the Red Sox to get him until the off season? In other words barring the Jays from making it to the off season, we will not see Halladay pitch against us?

102. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 4:54 pm

terrence – that’s “Jays from making it to the post season…” not off season

July 31, 2009 at 4:57 pm

It will be off season for them! hehe

104. Don M

July 31, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Red Sox needed a starting pitcher.. considering Brad Penny is their #3 (5.07 ERA, and a 1.49 WHIP) and Smoltz is struggling as their #4 (7.04 ERA, and a 1.53 WHIP)

Dice-K (8.23 ERA) and Wakefield are both on the DL

surprising that they got another bat, unless they plan to use Martinez over Jason Varitek

105. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Manny – so there is no way Halladay can go elsewhere until the off season?

106. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 5:02 pm

yeah its the nick johnson of the nationals. and remember there are still waiver wire deals in august. the trades won’t stop. after reading there will be some good bats available in august.

From Fox Sports:

With that in mind, here are 10 players likely to clear waivers and be available for a contender in need this August:

Outfielder Vernon Wells, Toronto
    Third baseman Garrett Atkins, Colorado
    Outfielder Adam Dunn, Washington
    Outfielder Juan Pierre, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Outfielder Jose Guillen, Kansas City
    Outfielder Gary Matthews, Jr., Los Angeles Angels
    RHPs Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati:
    DH Pat Burrell, Tampa Bay
    Shortstop-turned-backup-first baseman Bobby Crosby, Oakland
    Baltimore first baseman Aubrey Huff, Baltimore

Hopefully Phils get rid of Bruntlett. He strikes out everytime while pinch hitting like last time. Hey if burrell is available should Phils get him. I think Phils should improve bench with atleast one guy and get some bullpen help. What do you guys think?

107. Don M

July 31, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Bruntlett is good as an infielder… he’s just not a good hitter.

If Rollins or Utley got hurt in a game… I would want Bruntlett there to play defense instead of trying Dobbs or something just because Dobbs hits for a higher average.

No matter who that 25th man on the roster is.. he won’t get enough at-bats to be consistent and produce at the plate. Dobbs, Stairs etc.. there main job is to be the PINCH-HITTERS … Bruntlett’s job to is be ready for anything, if needed

and if the difference in us winning another World Series or not, comes down to the 25th man on our playoff roster.. then we’re in trouble anyway, and have bigger problems to worry about!

108. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 5:05 pm

From twitter/philaphillies

Aug. 16 game in Atlanta has been moved to 8:05 start time for a Sun. night ESPN national telecast.

And no Roy Halladay can’t be traded until offseason because first blue jays won’t put him on the waiver wire and if they do everyone will put a claim on him. Also they won’t get much in return.

109. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Well atleast the trade deadline is over and no more talk of Halladay. Get to game tonight. Lee vs Sadowski. I have a feeling Lee will pitch a very good game and phils O will get going against Sadowski who I think will last only about 3 or 4 innings. MLB waiver deadline is August 31st so starting probably Monday players will start getting put on the waiver. If you’re waiting until phils game watch iron pigs host columbus. Pedro makes his triple A against well who else former iron pig carlos carrasco. 7:05pm ET. see everyone else later tonight. well maybe if not fall asleep or go somewhere

110. Don M

July 31, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I think any team can “claim” a player on waivers… but if two teams claim him.. the team with the worse record get to try to make a deal with Toronto (in this case) .. if no deal is reached, Halladay would stay on Toronto.

So while there may be some bats available in August.. if the Marlins, Giants, etc.. have worse records than us, they can still go after these guys.

The past few years we were only chasing the Wild Card.. this year we’re leading every team but the Dodgers I think… so 14 teams would have a crack at players, just in the NL

111. Terrence

July 31, 2009 at 5:14 pm

according to tsn, the angels made a last minute attempt to acquire the Doc.

Beimel deal is complete

Rockies acquire Joe Beimel from Nationals for Ryan Mattheus and Robinson Fabian

112. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Do M. -i think wakefield would only play if it was Francona’s olny option, but i’m not sure. Was he in either their two WS rotation? I know it difficult with him because he needs his own catcher so that’s another spot that would be used. Might be too much to give up to suit the needs of one guy, plus the knuckle ball is either an “on or off ” pitch… when its on, fun to watch batters tie themselves into knots, but when its off you might as well put it on a tee. Still would be cool to see him play in a WS since he the last of his kind. at least that i know of. As for R.Sox pitching, saw a article on Bleacher Reports (didn’t have time to read it) about some secret arm for the sox, but the bleacher reports aren’t what i’d call reliable or unbiased.

113. j reed

July 31, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Terrence and Don M. – thanks for the clearing up the matter…I feel better…Aaron Harang is interesting…I’m not pissed or grinning ear to ear with the Lee/Franciso deal…it was with everyting weighed out quite an excellent deal, but not what I wanted for Christmas.

114. Repeat!

July 31, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I don’t know who typed those last two comments but it sure wasn’t me . I just got home from work. RA you did an awesome job. I dreamed of Halladay just like everyone else even after we acquired Lee. But the reality is we potentially have made the best deadline trade in Phillies history. The move was intelligent and should be extremely effective. I can’t complain. And Doc stays in Toronto. Perfect!

115. Dave

July 31, 2009 at 9:22 pm

show the rest of baseball that the Phillies don’t need P.E.D’s to win a championship…

116. kevin

August 1, 2009 at 8:26 am

im not sure where you get your information but he has clearly stated that IF he comes back at the end of August he wont be pitching as a starter. he stated that he will only have his pitch count up to about 40 tops. you need to get your information first before you post a blog like this and mislead everyone here.

117. kevin

August 1, 2009 at 8:29 am

the guy who wrote this article has absolutely no idea what he is talking about and it appears most of you agree from your comments….i think he is just wishful thinking but has no knowledge of the game of baseball……im wondering if hes actually watched a complete game.

118. Boogie Down

August 1, 2009 at 10:36 am

Wow Kevin. I don’t think there is any way of telling whether Brett would be be ready. Actually, what do expect Brett to say? “I’m gonna be ready is August to take my starter’s spot back”? That would be disrespectfull to his teammates that are in the rotation now. The guy’s job is to write an article. I think Brett could be ready to start come mid September. Why don’t YOU write an article, genius.